PDA

View Full Version : Okay who killed Haley's mum?

Hopeless
2011-01-31, 02:48 PM
Okay we now know from 772 that an archer using arrows with purple (or is that mauve?) fletchings, shot and killed Haley's mum so keep your eyes peeled!

Either they're been seen already or will be seen mark my words its obvious this is why Haley uses the bow and if Elan has his dad as his ultimate nemesis then Haley is going to find out who killed her mum!

FoE
2011-01-31, 02:50 PM
It was Snape.

Or some random assassin, I don't know.

tmacdevitt
2011-01-31, 02:50 PM
Eagle Eye Pete!

NerfTW
2011-01-31, 03:04 PM
Okay we now know from 772 that an archer using arrows with purple (or is that mauve?) fletchings, shot and killed Haley's mum so keep your eyes peeled!

Either they're been seen already or will be seen mark my words its obvious this is why Haley uses the bow and if Elan has his dad as his ultimate nemesis then Haley is going to find out who killed her mum!

Probably some generic mook working for Bozzok. I seriously doubt it will be some sort of epic mystery. Has everyone already forgotten about his whole "I killed my way to the top" speech?

TimelordSimone
2011-01-31, 03:22 PM
Eagle Eye Pete!

I'm going to forever insist this even if it's officially revealed otherwise.

JoseB
2011-01-31, 03:25 PM

Eagle Eye Pete!

To abound on this, comic #614 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0614.html) shows Eagle Eye Pete's nice armoury in the next-to-last panel. In the middle of it there are two crossed arrows. The one in the left has purple/mauve fletching.

That said, I think that (at least when it comes to Eagle Eye Pete's arsenal), given the variety of colours exhibited by the arrows there, the colours in the fletching might indicate that those are magic arrows with a variety of effects (each colour indicates a different effect), not that those are Eagle Eye Pete's arrows.

Just my 2 Eurocent!

Scarlet Knight
2011-01-31, 03:26 PM
It was a suicide, she couldn't stand Greysky City anymore and fell on her arrow.

RndmNumGen
2011-01-31, 03:26 PM
It must be Eagle Eye Pete! Haley's mom was killed my an arrow with purple fletching, and we see an arrow with purple fletching in Pete's den! It's a perfect fit! Everything is starting to make sense now! I can't believe-

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

Or there's that. Besides, I have a hard time believing that Haley would turn to Pete for help if Pete was the one who killed her mother.

Thanatosia
2011-01-31, 03:36 PM
Or there's that. Besides, I have a hard time believing that Haley would turn to Pete for help if Pete was the one who killed her mother.
That's only a problem if Halley know's he killed her mom. And we've already seen Pete rapidly abuse Halley's trust in him once. I'm not saying that there is a good strong case for Pete being Halley's mom's killer, but there isn't good evidence against it either.

G-Man Graves
2011-01-31, 03:55 PM
That's only a problem if Halley know's he killed her mom. And we've already seen Pete rapidly abuse Halley's trust in him once. I'm not saying that there is a good strong case for Pete being Halley's mom's killer, but there isn't good evidence against it either.

Here's the cool thing about bows. You don't need to stand right next to someone to use them. You can pick them off from fairly far away.

faustin
2011-01-31, 04:21 PM
Crazy theory: Sabine (probably disguised as human), under the orders of a previous master (maybe an evil wizard which house was burgled by Ian).:smallwink:

PsychedelicBard
2011-01-31, 04:42 PM
God, you people aren't seeing the obvious. It's one of the thieves Hailey killed during the raid at Pete's house, who got ressurected and went back in time for sweet, sweet revenge.

Sarcasm.

Bedinsis
2011-01-31, 04:49 PM
I think we'll never know, since I don't think it will be relevant.

Gift Jeraff
2011-01-31, 04:52 PM
As suggested already, I'm betting on random mook (maybe Eagle-Eyed Pete) hired by Bozzok or no one important at all.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-31, 04:59 PM
As suggested already, I'm betting on random mook (maybe Eagle-Eyed Pete) hired by Bozzok or no one important at all.

but it was one of the protagonists mothers! the laws of plot-dynamics indicate that it must be important.

in many fiction stories (Batman Spiderman) the killer is a mook but then goes on to play a relatively important part in the story.

Darth Hunterix
2011-01-31, 05:13 PM
I think it's gonna be someone from Tarquin's party, maybe even Tarquin himself, especially that he spent some time around North Continent.

factotum
2011-01-31, 05:17 PM
I think it was Redcloak's niece, and the fact she probably wasn't even born at the time makes it all the more awesome a theory! :smalltongue:

martianmister
2011-01-31, 05:31 PM
It couldn't be Bozzok because:

1. He would use his knowledge in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0609.html).

2. It was around 20 years before. Bozzok isn't look older enough to me.

King of Nowhere
2011-01-31, 05:31 PM
Here's the cool thing about bows. You don't need to stand right next to someone to use them. You can pick them off from fairly far away.

An arrow from a longbow can kill an innocent passerby hundreds of meters away from the innocent passerby against whom it was aimed :smalltongue:

Trazoi
2011-01-31, 05:37 PM
The murder scene happened in an alley in the rain, so our chief suspect must be someone in the shadows sporting an umbrella.

Leecros
2011-01-31, 05:38 PM
I'll admit....it was me.

And i would've gotten away with it to if i weren't for you MEDDLING KIDS!:smallfurious:

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-31, 05:43 PM
The murder scene happened in an alley in the rain, so our chief suspect must be someone in the shadows sporting an umbrella.

Mary Poppins? :smallsmile:

Orzel
2011-01-31, 05:47 PM
Colenal Mustard in the alley with a +4 longbow

HappyBlanket
2011-01-31, 05:51 PM
Well, Ian seems to trust his family. The Rules of Drama say it was either Geoff or Ivy.

Thanatosia
2011-01-31, 05:53 PM
Well, Ian seems to trust his family. The Rules of Drama say it was either Geoff or Ivy.
THis would actually make a great deal of sense. I could easily see this coming out.

Trazoi
2011-01-31, 05:54 PM
Mary Poppins? :smallsmile:
In every job that must be done
There is an element of fun
You find the fun and snap!
The job's a game.
A quiver full of arrows helps the mark go down
The mark go down
The mark go down
Just a quiver full of arrows helps the mark go down
In the most delightful way!

mastermind
2011-01-31, 05:55 PM

Maybe cousin Sheila?

martianmister
2011-01-31, 06:04 PM

OH NO! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html) :smalleek::smallfurious:

Themrys
2011-01-31, 06:11 PM

Rain...even Haley can't aim properly in rain. And the arrow was exactly where I think a stick figures heart is. It HAS to be Pete! Only he had the eyes and the equipment to do it!

Or...of course...it was an accident. But a protagonist's mother killed by an accident? Not likely.

Couatl
2011-01-31, 06:40 PM
Rain...even Haley can't aim properly in rain. And the arrow was exactly where I think a stick figures heart is. It HAS to be Pete! Only he had the eyes and the equipment to do it!

Or...of course...it was an accident. But a protagonist's mother killed by an accident? Not likely.

Yeaaah, right.

And it makes perfect sense for the mother of a protagonist to be killed by a currently dead guy, killed by npc :P

My opinion: the color of the arrow is tied to its magical properties + it was completely random unimportant guy :)

Kurald Galain
2011-01-31, 06:44 PM
Therkla, obviously.

Commander672
2011-01-31, 06:50 PM
Eagle Eye Pete!

Either Pete (For obviouse reasons), The Ninja and the Dwarf assassins (A combination callback and he wears a purple shirt, but this is grasping at straws) or, dare I say it, their motif fits:

Thurkla and Kabuta.

Somewhere
2011-01-31, 07:01 PM
It was Oliver Queen fighting crime. Or Clint Barton; I forgot if the stickverse is DC or Marvel-inclined.

teratorn
2011-01-31, 07:22 PM
Little Haley was practicing and killed her mother.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-31, 07:25 PM
Little Haley was practicing and killed her mother.

I thought that for a little while, too.

Amarsir
2011-01-31, 07:54 PM
I say it turns out to have been HK-47.

Sengoku
2011-01-31, 08:19 PM

Chapeau :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Cerlis
2011-01-31, 08:45 PM
the only lead we got is two

-Eagle Eye'd Pete's purple arrow. I will say that if those are just magic arrows on his mantle then it would be kinda weird. I'd understand butting one arrow next to a bow. or puttinga full quiver up there, but he probably has a stash of arrows elsewhere in the room. I think each of those arrows would most likely represent somethign important. We also know Pete is a traitor.
my only problem with this is that Pete is already dead, and that conspiracy theories have always been crap in my eyes.

-the other is that Mia was married tot he head of the guild. I highly doupt Bozzak was the first person to try to take over. there is the issue of "the Mobs" who i think where said to rule the city before Ian. Most likely i think, Ian was comming to power and uniteing the thieves, and his was an attempt to fight him. Either a traitor, someone trying to take his power, or a lacky from a rival or Mobster.

MoonCat
2011-01-31, 08:52 PM
From what I see, red fletched arrows, and red hilted blades appear to be the weapons of typical mooks in the Guild. That and some gray ones. In the study I see a fletched arrow crossing another one in the center. I don't think i've seen any anywhere else, but that doesn't mean Pete did it.

ZakRenning
2011-01-31, 09:57 PM
Now I have no opinion on whether Pete did it but...

I don't see the importance of showing a death like that without there being a further reason.

So my vote is for some importance, NOT a nameless mook.

SPoD
2011-01-31, 10:03 PM
I don't see the importance of showing a death like that without there being a further reason.

The importance is seeing how Mia's dying words forever shaped Haley's personality. Her simple request that her daughter rise above the violence of Greysky City is the entire basis for Haley's Personification of Self-Loathing AND her love for Elan. That is more than enough reason to show it even if it is unsolved forever.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-31, 10:05 PM
The plot killed Haley's mom.

zmasterofjersey
2011-01-31, 10:06 PM

UGH!!! He wins again, next time I am throwing the envelope in the bottom of the river.:smallwink:

ZakRenning
2011-01-31, 10:07 PM
The importance is seeing how Mia's dying words forever shaped Haley's personality. Her simple request that her daughter rise above the violence of Greysky City is the entire basis for Haley's Personification of Self-Loathing AND her love for Elan. That is more than enough reason to show it even if it is unsolved forever.

Eh I suppose. It just seems to me that there should be some revelalation to it later. :smalltongue:

Herald Alberich
2011-01-31, 10:48 PM

In fact, it argues for it remaining unsolved. What better to show the violence of Greysky that the Starshines must overcome than a random, meaningless mugging? They happen all the time. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0574.html)

Or maybe a contract killing, but one undertaken for petty reasons. Maybe Mia insulted someone powerful without meaning to.

TheSummoner
2011-01-31, 10:58 PM
Now... if it really WAS Eagle-Eye Pete, it really was the perfect crime... Sure, he might be dead now, but his death was for entirely unrelated reasons. The man got away with murder... Not just murder, but the murder of the immediate family of a main character. Now, thats pretty impressive. The amount of planning and thought that must've gone into the successful kill... I guess it proves that Pete really is pretty damn brainy.

hobbitkniver
2011-01-31, 11:08 PM
I think it was someone we'll never know.

Cerlis
2011-01-31, 11:11 PM

except that Haley could have just quoted her if that was all.

The Facial expression, the Arrow, the resistance outfit (rather than just say a skirt, or pants and shirt), haley being there. all have the potential for being significant.

the Riddler
2011-01-31, 11:18 PM
Clearly, it was a Movanic Deva sent from the Powers of Elysium and Mount Celestia, tired about all those rumors about Mia being a half-celestial.

SPoD
2011-01-31, 11:19 PM

The Facial expression, the Arrow, the resistance outfit (rather than just say a skirt, or pants and shirt), haley being there. all have the potential for being significant.

There are plenty of reasons to show the panel instead of just having Haley relay it. Here's four:

1.) It's a visual medium, and without that panel, this is a double strip of two people standing and talking. The author doesn't need to have an ulterior motive to add visual interest.

2.) Talking about it would not squash the "Haley is a Celestial" theory, which this has.

3.) It is more realistic for two people who were present for a traumatic event to NOT discuss the details of it in casual conversation. By showing us instead of having Haley talk about it, we get the gist without her having to stop and relay painful memories that her dad already knows.

4.) The gold necklace Mia is wearing was seen around Ian's neck in every one of his pre-prison appearances, giving us a subtle way of seeing that Ian never forgot her.

zimmerwald1915
2011-01-31, 11:23 PM
That said, I think that (at least when it comes to Eagle Eye Pete's arsenal), given the variety of colours exhibited by the arrows there, the colours in the fletching might indicate that those are magic arrows with a variety of effects (each colour indicates a different effect), not that those are Eagle Eye Pete's arrows.

My opinion: the color of the arrow is tied to its magical properties + it was completely random unimportant guy :)

the only lead we got is two

-Eagle Eye'd Pete's purple arrow. I will say that if those are just magic arrows on his mantle then it would be kinda weird. I'd understand butting one arrow next to a bow. or puttinga full quiver up there, but he probably has a stash of arrows elsewhere in the room. I think each of those arrows would most likely represent somethign important. We also know Pete is a traitor.
my only problem with this is that Pete is already dead, and that conspiracy theories have always been crap in my eyes.
Arrow colors may mean many different things. Pete's wall contains a yellow-fletched arrow, but that doesn't mean Pete's got a hobgoblin great-uncle somewhere in his family tree. Nor do his red-fletched and blue-fletched arrows have to have tips made of alchemical silver or of cold iron.

I think it's gonna be someone from Tarquin's party, maybe even Tarquin himself, especially that he spent some time around North Continent.
We've never seen any member of Tarquin's party use a bow, handle a bow, or appear in a panel where there is the slightest chance that they might handle a conveniently placed bow. Same goes for arrows. There is literally no reason to suspect Tarquin's or his party's involvement in Mia's death other than the level of engagement with the comic's current story arc and the fact that we don't really know much about their backstories until after Tarquin lost his first kingdom.

-the other is that Mia was married tot he head of the guild. I highly doupt Bozzak was the first person to try to take over. there is the issue of "the Mobs" who i think where said to rule the city before Ian. Most likely i think, Ian was comming to power and uniteing the thieves, and his was an attempt to fight him. Either a traitor, someone trying to take his power, or a lacky from a rival or Mobster.
Ian was never head of the Thieves' Guild. The closest he came to power was being popular among certain members of the Guild when Bozzak's predecessor met his end. We don't even know if he intended to use that support to make a grab for power: all we know is that Bozzak feared he would. Technically, all we know is that Bozzak said that he feared that he would, three years later, in order to mess with Haley's head. So really we know nothing at all.

It was Oliver Queen fighting crime. Or Clint Barton; I forgot if the stickverse is DC or Marvel-inclined.
Marvel appeared in Start of Darkness in the form of Professor Xavion the wizard and his team of misfit sorcerers. DC appeared during the fight with Leeky Windstaff.

EDIT: fixing tags

blazingshadow
2011-02-01, 12:23 AM
clearly it was Belkar who killed her

runekiri
2011-02-01, 01:37 AM
I also think of Pete because:
Haley must have learned how to handle a bow from someone (And Ian had taught her to only trust family), and Pete was obviously proud of his archery skills.
Maybe Haleys mother was a good archer, and when Pete just got second place in a competition (Remember the silver trophy among the gold ones) he decided to get rid of some competitors

Felixc-91
2011-02-01, 02:16 AM
I also think of Pete because:
Haley must have learned how to handle a bow from someone (And Ian had taught her to only trust family), and Pete was obviously proud of his archery skills.
Maybe Haleys mother was a good archer, and when Pete just got second place in a competition (Remember the silver trophy among the gold ones) he decided to get rid of some competitors........if this is ever confirmed you officially get a several billion bonus points.

Ridureyu
2011-02-01, 02:28 AM
Haley's mom was killed by Miko, who has become a Blackguard.

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-01, 02:33 AM
Maybe Haleys mother was a good archer, and when Pete just got second place in a competition (Remember the silver trophy among the gold ones) he decided to get rid of some competitors
Rich has posted before to say that there is no significance at all in Pete's silver trophy, beyond the fact that it shows that he was a very good (but not infallible) archer.

Felixc-91
2011-02-01, 02:45 AM
Rich has posted before to say that there is no significance at all in Pete's silver trophy, beyond the fact that it shows that he was a very good (but not infallible) archer.question, would it be possible for you to link us to those comments? it would allow a closer look that might rule out things like the arrows on his wall being trophies from special hits...

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-01, 02:50 AM
question, would it be possible for you to link us to those comments? it would allow a closer look that might rule out things like the arrows on his wall being trophies from special hits...
You won't find anything like that there, but sure, here's the quote:

Sometimes, I put in details solely because it adds a touch of realism or detail to a panel. It seemed like it says something about the character if he didn't win every single time; it says that he's good, but not unbeatable. However, I can assure you there is no more importance to it than that, nor will it ever be mentioned again.

Not everything has a story attached to it, or at least, not a story worth telling.

TreesOfDeath
2011-02-01, 06:25 AM
A friend of Haley's father, thus starting Ian on his journey of crazy paranoia.

Possibly Eagle Eyed Pete

Themrys
2011-02-01, 06:42 AM
Yeaaah, right.

And it makes perfect sense for the mother of a protagonist to be killed by a currently dead guy, killed by npc :P

If the guild is stupid enough to like traitors, they might raise him. Then Haley can take revenge.

Whereas the mother of a PC being killed by some random guy is unlikely, if this isn't a plot point to prove what crappy place Greysky city is.

Most interesting would be if Ian thought it was a friend of his (or of his wife), but really it was a relative of either Ian or his wife.

LuPuWei
2011-02-01, 07:02 AM
It had to be Gannji.

Scarlet Knight
2011-02-01, 09:40 AM
In every job that must be done
There is an element of fun
You find the fun and snap!
The job's a game.
A quiver full of arrows helps the mark go down
The mark go down
The mark go down
Just a quiver full of arrows helps the mark go down
In the most delightful way!

A robber on a quest
Has very little time to rest
While gathering his bits of golden coin
Though quite intent in his pursuit
He has a merry eye for loot
A bow...that's long... will move the job along - fooor...(repeat chorus)

:smallwink:

Kish
2011-02-01, 07:40 PM

Well, for starters, they put the idea that Mia was a celestial to restto a life with even less support than previously.

My cat adds, +

faustin
2011-02-02, 08:36 AM
Ivy and/or Geoff.:smallamused:
It would be dramatic if revealed in the current plot. Also would help Ian with his current "Only trust in family".

Themrys
2011-02-02, 11:08 AM
Ivy and/or Geoff.:smallamused:
It would be dramatic if revealed in the current plot. Also would help Ian with his current "Only trust in family".

Wasn't there a cousin, too?
I read about a cousin Sheila somewhere...not sure whether this is part of the online comic.

I agree, according to the rule of drama it has to be someone from Ian's or Mia's family - if Ian doesn't know who did it.
If Ian knows, it's probably someone he and/or his wife trusted and whose betrayal triggered his paranoia. (Which would rule Pete out, as Haley still trusts him. However...the fact that he is an expert archer makes him suspicious.)

Edit: Now that I looked at the angle the arrow sticks in her chest...it wasn't an accident, and the murderer is either a child, a gnome, a halfling or someone who hid between some wastebins, sitting or lying.

It definitely wasn't Haley practising, she wouldn't have practised in the rain.

Also, it wasn't someone who tried, from far away, to shoot someone other than Mia or her family.

I'd also suspect it was done with a crossbow since a bow is more difficult to handle if you're lying on the floor.

zimmerwald1915
2011-02-02, 11:12 AM
Wasn't there a cousin, too?
I read about a cousin Sheila somewhere...not sure whether this is part of the online comic.
Haley implies, when she's talking to Elan, that her cousin Sheila tried to frame one of her [that is, Sheila's] family members for murder. Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html) the relevant strip. The relevant panel is the final one.

Themrys
2011-02-02, 11:21 AM
Haley implies, when she's talking to Elan, that her cousin Sheila tried to frame one of her [that is, Sheila's] family members for murder. Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html) the relevant strip. The relevant panel is the final one.

Interesting...if cousin Sheila tried to frame Haley for murder, why does Ian think he can trust in family?
Doesn't he know?

ThePhantasm
2011-02-02, 05:23 PM
So I was thinking this topic might be unimportant (the q. of who killed Haley's mom) but now I'm thinking otherwise.

I think part of the reason why Ian's paranoia is so intense is probably because his wife was killed by someone who he very much trusted. He regrets having let his guard down and has vowed to never do so again.

I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't turn out to be the case.

MoonCat
2011-02-02, 06:44 PM
Interesting...if cousin Sheila tried to frame Haley for murder, why does Ian think he can trust in family?
Doesn't he know?

Reasonably sure that was a throwaway joke.

So I was thinking this topic might be unimportant (the q. of who killed Haley's mom) but now I'm thinking otherwise.

I think part of the reason why Ian's paranoia is so intense is probably because his wife was killed by someone who he very much trusted. He regrets having let his guard down and has vowed to never do so again.

I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't turn out to be the case.

Hmm, yeah, that seems likely.

Belkar is back
2011-02-02, 06:57 PM
Yeaaah, right.

Haley's moms death has showed up too many times to be unimportant.

dps
2011-02-02, 06:59 PM
My guess is that it was Anton Chigurh.

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-02, 11:11 PM
I hope it does turn out to be unimportant who killed her. I much prefer the idea that Greysky is such a miserable, dangerous place to live that things like this happen all the time, and that's what's had such a profound impact on Haley, to the idea that every last thing we see has to contain some vital plot hook.

CletusMusashi
2011-02-07, 06:19 PM
Celia did it. I mean, come on, for somebody whose boyfriend regularly settles fights with a GREATSWORD, she seems just a little too eager to profess how pacifistic she is when talking to Haley!

Haley's mother had an affair with Thog. Celia was dating Thog at the time and got angry.

This also fits in well with Haley's recurring conflict with aerial female adversaries.

E.T.A: The reason Celia didn't recognize Thog back at Dorukon's castle was that Thog no longer has the Afro hairstyle and majestic handlebar moustache that she remembers him with.

MoonCat
2011-02-07, 06:21 PM
Celia did it. I mean, come on, for somebody whose boyfriend regular settles fights with a GREATSWORD, she seems just a little too eager to profess how pacifistic she is when talking to Haley.
Haley's mother had an affair with Thog. Celia was dating Thog at the time and got angry.
This is also fits in well with Haley's recurring conflict with aerial female adversaries.

You know, after the persistence and belief in some of the theories on this forum, I don't know if your joking or not.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-07, 06:23 PM
Characters don't kill characters, arrows kill characters.

nilocrulesu
2011-02-07, 06:58 PM
Arrows don't kill characters, bad rolls kill characters.

CletusMusashi
2011-02-07, 07:14 PM
Only bad French rolls. I think they're like 1d8 Bludgeoning damage.

nilocrulesu
2011-02-07, 07:19 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of saving throws, or athletics checks.

Ranzear
2011-02-07, 07:26 PM
Only bad French rolls. I think they're like 1d8 Bludgeoning damage.

It's dwarf bread, man. The cat peed on it, and it doubles as a lethal throwing weapon.

Apparently my witty post is too short.

DBear
2011-02-07, 09:14 PM
Doesn't he know?

I don't recall anything specifically saying that Sheila tried to frame Haley. And... dun dun dun....

What if Sheila was trying to tell the truth and no one believed her?

dps
2011-02-07, 09:29 PM
I don't recall anything specifically saying that Sheila tried to frame Haley. And... dun dun dun....

What if Sheila was trying to tell the truth and no one believed her?

Actually, hmm, I better spoiler this, I've kind of wondered if maybe people are interpreting that particular bit wrong. Maybe Haley was framing Sheila?

Herald Alberich
2011-02-07, 11:12 PM
Haley's moms death has showed up too many times to be unimportant.

The death is quite important, for its impact on both Haley's and Ian's character. The killer, on the other hand, need not be.

Apparently my witty post is too short.

Quotes don't count toward the 10-character minimum.

The Succubus
2011-02-08, 08:12 AM
My guess is one of the following:

1) The Bowman on the Greysky Knoll
2) Maggie Simpson
3) JR
4) The Giant, in a fit of shameless 4th wall destruction.

HalfTangible
2011-02-08, 08:28 AM
Probably some generic mook working for Bozzok. I seriously doubt it will be some sort of epic mystery. Has everyone already forgotten about his whole "I killed my way to the top" speech?

He was trying to quote 'establish a new regime' when Haley was in her early twenties, remember? And her mother was killed when she was... what, 8? 9?

faustin
2011-02-08, 08:29 AM
My guess it´s... Crystal´s mother. So the circle has been finally completed.

Zmflavius
2011-02-08, 01:21 PM
Yeaaah, right.

Mother of a protagonist. Not a protagonist.

She's only appeared in one strip so far.

CletusMusashi
2011-02-09, 03:32 AM
If it wasn't Celia, it was the evil identical twin of Julio Scoundrel.
"Oil-You J. Scoundrel."

theinsulabot
2011-02-09, 09:02 AM
Haley or Ian killed her, either accidentally or intentionally. that's why there was never any mention of avenging her, Ian just wanted to live better.

doodthedud
2011-02-09, 10:29 AM
The death is quite important, for its impact on both Haley's and Ian's character. The killer, on the other hand, need not be.

Beat me to it! D:

theinsulabot
2011-02-09, 04:03 PM
actually, to expand on my theory slightly, if it was Ian, he kills his wife because at the time it seemed she was betraying them in some fashion, which he later learned was incorrect, thus creating his fanatical belief in trusting family, because he wished at the critical juncture, he had trusted his wife.

allenw
2011-02-09, 05:17 PM
You're all missing the important question:
Is she *still* dead? If so, why?
If Haley (or Ian) still has a lock of hair, that plus Durkon (or any other 13-plus-level cleric over the past 20 years) plus a 10,000-gp diamond = live Mom. Unless she didn't want to come back (but why?)...
...or...
...was an Outsider. :smalltongue:

Okay, checking the SRD, the lock of hair would have to have been taken from the body after death. Still might happen, though.

Cracklord
2011-02-09, 06:48 PM
The old granny in this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html) strip. After Harley foolishly gave away information, the granny was able to travel back in time to the exact instant, and kill her mother.

Forum Explorer
2011-02-09, 09:06 PM
If Haley (or Ian) still has a lock of hair, that plus Durkon (or any other 13-plus-level cleric over the past 20 years) plus a 10,000-gp diamond = live Mom. Unless she didn't want to come back (but why?)...
...or...

Okay, checking the SRD, the lock of hair would have to have been taken from the body after death. Still might happen, though.

Its been too long? They couldn't get the money fast enough working for the theive's guild so she couldn't be rezzed. Plus it costs more than 10 000 gp for hiring someone.

factotum
2011-02-10, 02:32 AM
I find it amazing that people think resurrection comes that easily in OotS. It does for adventurers, because they're the sort of people who know high level clerics and have the money to get the diamonds! There's no indication that non-adventurers have the same benefits.

Plus, of course, the spirit of the slain person has to be willing to return, and Mia's last words suggest she was heartily sick of Greysky City and all that goes on there.

LuPuWei
2011-02-10, 05:58 AM
...or...

I wondered the same, but my guess is that:

a) At the time that Haley's mom was killed, Ian already had enough enemies in Greysky to make a rez by a local cleric very difficult.
b) As a city-dwelling rogue, he lacked the finances required.
c) He was unwilling to risk a journey to another city or the sort of campaign required to earn enough money at the time because Haley was still very young.

By the time she was grown, it may well have been too late, but I'm not sure what the rules regarding that are.

snikrept
2011-02-11, 08:59 PM
Well whoever it was probably had arrows enchanted to kill Good aligned outsiders!

/me ducks

Procyonpi
2011-02-15, 05:04 PM
Tarquin would explain why Ian is so mad at him specifically...

factotum
2011-02-16, 02:37 AM
Tarquin would explain why Ian is so mad at him specifically...

Doesn't seem likely. We know that Tarquin was on the Western Continent when Nale was still a child of maybe 2 years old tops, and since Elan/Nale and Haley are about the same age, that would mean Tarquin would have had to return from the Western Continent, kill Mia, and then go back there...

faustin
2011-02-25, 08:42 AM
I like to think that it was Greysky City who "killed" Mia.

Roderick_BR
2011-02-25, 11:06 AM
A random encounter.

Hazzardevil
2011-02-25, 11:28 AM
I'll admit....it was me.

And i would've gotten away with it to if i weren't for you MEDDLING KIDS!:smallfurious:

WRONG!
It was me, you missed with your arrow so I had to do it for you. You didn't know though because of your failed spot check.