PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Divine Metamagic

ThatBaneCleric
2011-01-31, 03:27 PM
Heya playground

Can someone here tell me exactly how DMM works? do i need to take DMM and then another MM feat or just the DMM and make it a specific one? (DMM:Empower) fx ?

Saint GoH
2011-01-31, 03:30 PM
I believe the way it was originally worded was "You pick a Metamagic feat" but has been since errata'd to mean "You pick a Metamagic feat you already know"

Then again it'd be lovely to just pick any ol' feat and DMM it...

Keld Denar
2011-01-31, 03:34 PM
Yea, errata has updated it. You now need to have both the MM feat and DMM specifically chosen for that feat. Thus, if you have DMM: Quicken, you can't use DMM to apply Empower Spell to a spell. You'd have to take another feat, DMM: Empower Spell (assuming you already have Empower Spell).

Then you just expend X+1 TU attempts when you cast the spell, where X is the normal spell level adjustment of the metamagic, and you get the effect.

Note, you can only use 1 [Divine] feat at a time, so no combining DMM with other DMMs, or with DSP, Divine Ward, or other such feats.

Morbis Meh
2011-01-31, 03:35 PM
For example if you wanted to have DMM: Persist spell, you would first need to have the metamagic feats Empower and Persit. Basically in order to DMM you need to have the appropriate MM feat already known

Amnestic
2011-01-31, 03:50 PM
'Sadly' you need both, unless you can convince your DM to use the non-errata'd version which would make Clerics even more potent.

For example if you wanted to have DMM: Persist spell, you would first need to have the metamagic feats Empower and Persit.

Extend, not Empower :smallsmile:

Aemoh87
2011-01-31, 05:43 PM
Yeah making DMM better is possibly one of the worst decisions a DM could make.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-31, 06:02 PM
The errata also notes that DMM only works for divine spells, so no multiclass shenanigans.

ThatBaneCleric
2011-01-31, 08:34 PM
allright, awesome to know :) and no, i wont be trying to convince my DM to allow me to use old style (expecially after i will show him the post here :smallwink: )

big cudos to all who helped, really apriciate it :)

Aemoh87
2011-02-01, 01:59 AM
Just a tip. Persist Time Stop is great, but don't ever do it. Infact anything that is similar to that, just don't do it. Divine Metamagic is a campaign breaker if you let it be, so use with the idea you want the campaign to be fun.

ThatBaneCleric
2011-02-01, 06:14 AM
Just a tip. Persist Time Stop is great, but don't ever do it. Infact anything that is similar to that, just don't do it. Divine Metamagic is a campaign breaker if you let it be, so use with the idea you want the campaign to be fun.

no worries, we have other players at the table who feck things up that way... i aint one of those... i just use leadership and try to get too many followers to really care if 50%+ die in a "sponge" move for me :p

Aemoh87
2011-02-01, 03:21 PM
My favorite character uses the Venerable Elder Feats, Leadership, Might Makes Right, and Fanatical Devotion to have a long stream of fearless barbarians.

Keld Denar
2011-02-01, 03:32 PM
You can't actually persist Time Stop. It has a duration of Instantaneous, and mearly creates 1d4 rounds of "apparent time", which I'm guessing is the bastard offspring of apeture science and applied plebonium.

You can Maximize it, or Empower it, since the apparent time is a variable component of the spell, rather than a true duration.

Stegyre
2011-02-01, 05:10 PM
The errata also notes that DMM only works for divine spells, so no multiclass shenanigans.
NonSense, Old boy! It jUsT HappEns to Require aN aMple tAlent for shenaniGans, If you Can see what I meAN.

Note, you can only use 1 [Divine] feat at a time, so no combining DMM with other DMMs, or with DSP, Divine Ward, or other such feats.
I'm not familiar with the source for this rule. Do you have a cite? Under the RAW, even with the errata, I'm reading that using DMM, itself, is a free action. :smallconfused:

Keld Denar
2011-02-01, 10:32 PM
Here's the rule:

These feats often take a standard action to activate, but may require other types of actions as specified. Regardless, you may activate only one divine feat (or use the ability to turn or rebuke undead once) per round, though overlapping durations may allow you the benefits of more than one divine feat at a time.

Stegyre
2011-02-02, 10:37 AM
Here's the rule:
Got it! Thanks.

Corronchilejano
2011-02-02, 10:40 AM
Geomancer also helps with DMM if you're playing epics and Arcane/Divine caster.

sreservoir
2011-02-02, 02:05 PM
alternate source spell works just as well if you took cleric or ur-priest levels to get turning. less investment than geomancer, at least.

dragon magazine, though.