PDA

View Full Version : Whirling Frenzy Clarification

Elric VIII
2011-01-31, 03:46 PM
I'm just confused about the particulars of thw Whirling Frenzy Variant.

It states

From SRD:
A barbarian with this variant form of rage doesn't gain the normal bonuses when he enters a rage. Instead, when a barbarian with whirling frenzy enters a rage, he temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves. While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the barbarian might make before his next action.

Whirling frenzy is otherwise identical to the standard barbarian rage in all other ways. At 11th level (when a standard barbarian gains greater rage), the Strength bonus increases to +6, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +3. At 20th level (when a standard barbarian gains mighty rage), the Strength bonus increases to +8, and the dodge bonus to Armor Class and on Reflex saves increases to +4.

A barbarian using this variant doesn't gain indomitable will at 14th level. Instead, he gains evasion, but only while in a whirling frenzy.

A character can't use whirling frenzy at the same time that he uses any other form of rage (or similar ability).

Do I get the extra attack only when making a full attack (like Haste)?

Does it work on AoOs made during the Frenzy?

If I have multiple natural attacks (Longtooth and Razorclaw Shifter) can I choose which attack is extra or is it by default my primary one?

Diarmuid
2011-01-31, 04:03 PM
I'm just confused about the particulars of thw Whirling Frenzy Variant.

If I have multiple natural attacks (Longtooth and Razorclaw Shifter) can I choose which attack is extra or is it by default my primary one?

Yes

The -2 penalty would apply to the AoO's, this is specifically mentioned in the description you provided, but only applies in a round where you took the extra attack.

Unsure, I dont play many monstrous races or races with secondary attacks.

Grendus
2011-01-31, 04:08 PM
1: Yes, you have to take a full attack. According to the SRD, any time you use multiple attacks you have to do it as a full round action (barring Ex abilities, like pounce). However, at least according to the linked text, it would stack with haste (-2 penalty, and it doesn't specify that it's a haste-like ability, though I could be mistaken). Not bad.

2: Pretty sure it has to be your primary attack, but I'm not sure.

Darrin
2011-01-31, 04:23 PM

Yes. As far as I know, only Snap Kick has specific wording that lets it be used outside of a full attack.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "does it work", but if you mean the Strength bonus, yes, you get that on AoOs.

I think the text assumes you're attacking with your primary weapon, but technically you can attack with any readied weapon that you might have available (armor spikes, unarmed strikes, etc.). For example, an 11th level barbarian with a longsword in one hand and a battleaxe in the other can make a full attack: +11 longsword, +6 battleaxe, +1 longsword, without incurring TWF penalties (he's not actually making any off-hand attacks). The same barbarian in a Whirling Frenzy could use either the sword or axe as his extra attack, or armor spikes, or an unarmed strike, since all those weapons are ready to attack and don't have any other limitations/requirements.

However, natural weapons don't quite work the same way as manufactured weapons, since they can only attack once per round. So no, you normally couldn't use a natural weapon as your extra Whirling Frenzy attack if you're already using it for an attack that round.

Shifter claws, however, do have an exception to that general rule, and can be used for (multiple) offhand attacks. But Whirling Frenzy doesn't specify the extra attack as an "offhand attack", so I'd say no, your shifter claws aren't available if you're already attacking with them that round.

Elric VIII
2011-01-31, 05:45 PM
Is there an actual ruling about the extra attacks? I agree with the intent, I just want to know if it's convention as well. (I'm using pounce anyway, so it hardly matters.)

By "does it work" I meant "do I get an extra attack on AoOs." This was provided that the first part meant that my extra attack was anytime I made an attack.

I had always thought that you could TWF with one claw and a single one-handed manufactured weapon, provided you have 2 clawed appendages and only one is wielding the weapon. Now, since I definately can do this with a Razorclaw Shifter, can I use an unarmed strike (like a kick) with a single claw as my off hand or does the weapon need to be manufactured?

Unusual Muse
2012-04-04, 07:50 PM
While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the barbarian might make before his next action.

There you go: You get one extra attack per round, not one extra attack per attack, so you would get the penalty to attack rolls for your AoO's but would not get an extra AoO.

As an aside, there is a feat from Dragon Magazine called Improved Combat Reflexes that gives you an additional AoO at -5 each time you get an AoO, and a Greater version for a third attack with even more minuses.

Elric VIII
2012-04-04, 09:21 PM
Looks like someone multiclassed into Dread Thread Necromancer.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-04-05, 07:05 AM
Yes. As far as I know, only Snap Kick has specific wording that lets it be used outside of a full attack.Slashing Flurry too