PDA

View Full Version : Help me use Modify Memory without my player knowing!

veven
2011-01-31, 04:42 PM
So my player in a one on one is soon to run into a psionic aboleth and i absolutely love Psionic modify memory. . I think it would be awesome to run the encounter as the modified memory instead of just having the player pretend he doesn't remember. I was thinking of just having him role for an unspecified will save and if he fails it, the next 5 minutes will play out as the modified memory instead of the actual events. Any clever ideas to expand on this or make it simpler/better?

Waker
2011-01-31, 04:45 PM
Well, one thing to consider is having this combat take place away from the rest of the players. Even good players sometimes succumb to metagamey nonsense.

subject42
2011-01-31, 04:57 PM
I've done something kind of like this.

Get your players will saves before the session, then pre-roll a bunch of d20 rolls and put them down on paper.

When the attacker targets a save, consult the pre-genned rolls and only tell the player what's going on if he makes the save. Otherwise mess with his head as much as you want.

veven
2011-01-31, 05:05 PM
I've done something kind of like this.

Get your players will saves before the session, then pre-roll a bunch of d20 rolls and put them down on paper.

When the attacker targets a save, consult the pre-genned rolls and only tell the player what's going on if he makes the save. Otherwise mess with his head as much as you want.

awesome, that was pretty much the plan glad to hear it seems to work. I find that keeping player knowledge and character knowledge as close together as possible really aids in the whole immersion thing.