PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Breath Weapon + Sneak Attack + Blinking Ring?

Pika...
2011-01-31, 05:10 PM
So I have this rules question. My tiny copper dragon has a line of acid. He has three levels in rogue, and I am considering buying a Blinking Ring.

Does a breath weapon count as a ranged attack? If so, that means I can sneak attack with it I believe.

Person_Man
2011-01-31, 05:16 PM
No. Sneak Attack only works on attacks which require an attack roll.

However, it does work with pretty much anything else that does have an attack roll, such as touch attack spells, thrown weapons, ranged weapons, etc, as long as you otherwise meet the criteria of Sneak Attack.

Amnestic
2011-01-31, 05:17 PM
Can you Sneak Attack with a Supernatural Ability like that? As far as I know, you cannot.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-31, 06:14 PM
Can you Sneak Attack with a Supernatural Ability like that? As far as I know, you cannot.
As Person_Man said above, not in this case, but if it required an attack roll, yes.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-01-31, 07:07 PM
No attack roll, no sneak attack.

Breath Weapon does not require an attack roll, it's usually a reflex save similar to a fireball...

So unless you're playing a Pathfinder Arcane Trickster, you can ONLY do sneak attacks on weapon attacks or weapon-like spells that require you to roll to hit.

Eurus
2011-01-31, 07:09 PM
Yeah, the operative word there is "attack." D&D defines an attack as anything requiring an attack roll (even if it does no damage, I believe... an enervation beam is still considered an attack, after all).