PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up my DS to my Computer for LP purposes.

DiscipleofBob
2011-01-31, 08:58 PM
Okay, I've tried several sites and neither they nor Google seem to be able to discern what I'm talking about.

I'm interested in (eventually) doing a Let's Play, probably with the various Pokemon games, adding a very non-Pokemon story to go along with it. You may have seen several of those on this and other sites already.

This would be a screenshot LP, and I already have all the software/know-how I need to capture screenshots and, if need be, edit them. Image hosting I shouldn't have much of a problem with.

My real problem is somehow hooking up my Nintendo DS to my computer so I can capture screenshots in the first place. I am not just taking pictures of my DS with a camera or anything. Those are much too low quality and it just makes things tougher on the image-editing that I may or may not need to do.

Any suggestions on what I might need?

SparkMandriller
2011-01-31, 09:08 PM
A devkit should work. Just get one of those and you're set.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-01-31, 09:12 PM
Last time this was brought up, I remember there being only two real solutions, and neither of them were that great... not sure about whether a devkit would or would not work though. Might be (very) tough to get your hands on though.

DiscipleofBob
2011-01-31, 09:45 PM
A devkit should work. Just get one of those and you're set.

And what, praytell, is a devkit and how would I get my hands on one?

Trazoi
2011-01-31, 09:51 PM
And what, praytell, is a devkit and how would I get my hands on one?
"Devkit" is short for development kit; it's what you use to make games for the console. As for where you can get your hands on one, the simple answer is you can't. The more complex answer is that you can if you can qualify for developer status at Nintendo, but it's not the sort of thing you would do for the sake of a "Lets Play". :smallwink:

Lord Seth
2011-01-31, 09:59 PM
Here's one way to get a devkit (http://www.warioworld.com). Though it looks like you have to go through some legal hoops and they're pretty expensive...

EDIT: One option is, of course, to go the emulation route. Personally I'm not a fan of doing so because it isn't really an authentic experience (the only time I'd ever use emulation for an LP is if it were a romhack or something) and of course there's the issue of legality. Some information here: Even if you own the game, downloading a copy of it for emulation is illegal (though I suppose it's still within the spirit of the law, if not the letter).

Emulation may be legal, though, if it's a copy of your own individual cartridge (though you'd need special hardware to do that). May be. I've heard conflicting information as to whether this is legal or not; is there any court precedent that anyone knows about?

DiscipleofBob
2011-01-31, 10:29 PM
There are numerous reasons I don't want to get into the emulation route, not just because of legality issues, but because I already have all the games I need and I'd rather just figure out the one hurtle of translating already-owned DS games to my computer.

Trazoi
2011-01-31, 10:47 PM
Here's one way to get a devkit (http://www.warioworld.com). Though it looks like you have to go through some legal hoops and they're pretty expensive...
It's more than just the expense. You also need to qualify as a developer in good standing with a registered business to qualify for a Nintendo devkit. For small independent developers it's fairly hard to qualify (which incidentally is a reason why more indies develop for the iPhone; the barrier is quite low). Unless you were already a developer it's hard to get your hands on one for a Lets Play.

The other alternative I can think of is if you can find a third-party tool for outputting video from the DS. I think there were a few around (the review press must have something along these lines), but I haven't a clue where you could get one.

factotum
2011-02-01, 02:45 AM
Just did a Google on those and the only ones I found either required you to take your DS apart to install them, or were basically just glorified mounting kits for cameras...

Trazoi
2011-02-01, 02:48 AM
Just did a Google on those and the only ones I found either required you to take your DS apart to install them, or were basically just glorified mounting kits for cameras...
Well shoot. How do the reviewers get their screenshots then? Do they rely on ones given in a press kit? :smallconfused:

Ogremindes
2011-02-01, 03:25 AM
Well shoot. How do the reviewers get their screenshots then? Do they rely on ones given in a press kit? :smallconfused:

From listening to some video game podcasts of late (and also just plain late, I just got to 2010 on one), I think they get ROMs.

EDIT and different versions of the hardware.