PDA

View Full Version : Ways to optimize UMD as a rouge/ninja character

Master Thrower
2011-01-31, 08:59 PM
I'm looking to play a rouge-ish character. only problem is, I dont like not being able to use magic. So my new alternative is to try and use UMD. How do i best optimize it?

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-31, 09:02 PM
1.) Skill Focus: UMD +3(better in pathfinder, bonus becomes +6 if you have 10 or more ranks in the skill)

2.) magical Aptitude +2 UMD and Spellcraft

3.) Circlet of Persuasion +3 to all charisma based skills 4,500 gp

4.) Ring of UMD! convince your DM to let you commission the custom building a a ring ( as per Ring of Jumping, Ring of Climbing, etc) that gives you a flat bonus to UMD... if I remember correctly, a +5 is 2,500 gp. (that might be for pathfinder though)

Jarian
2011-01-31, 09:06 PM
[...] if I remember correctly, a +5 is 2,500 gp. (that might be for pathfinder though)

Yep.

Skill bonus (competence): Bonus squared x 100 gp.

Creating magic items. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/creatingmagicitems.htm)

ericgrau
2011-01-31, 09:36 PM
As an avid scroll user I've found getting a dozen+ different affordable low level utility scrolls and using them out of combat is best with or without UMD. Keep re-rolling until you succeed, just don't roll a 1 or you can't use that item for 24 hours. Unless your UMD is so high that you succeed on a 1. You can get a +4 synergy bonus for scrolls from spellcraft and decipher script. For wands I'd get a wand of invisibility.

I wouldn't advise burning feats on it unless you really want to focus on scrolls. Custom skill boosting items require DM approval and are questionable. The circlet of persuasion is good, but expensive at low levels when it's really hard to get a good UMD modifier. IMO out of combat rerolls are best until higher levels.

Another trick is to dip a level of wizard, which effectively gives you +20 UMD for the purpose of wizard scrolls and wands.

Master Thrower
2011-01-31, 09:39 PM
As an avid scroll user I've found low level utility scrolls used out of combat are best. Keep re-rolling until you succeed, just don't roll a 1 or you can't use that item for 24 hours. Unless your UMD is so high that you succeed on a 1. You can get a +4 synergy bonus for scrolls from spellcraft and decipher script.

I wouldn't advise burning feats on it unless you really want to focus on scrolls. Custom skill boosting items require DM approval and are questionable. The circlet of persuasion is good, but expensive at low levels when it's really hard to get a good UMD modifier. IMO out of combat rerolls are best until higher levels.

Another trick is to dip a level of wizard, which effectively gives you +20 UMD for the purpose of wizard scrolls and wands.

well its a 9th level campagin. And i'd be looking to use a mix of divine and arcane magic, in scroll, and wand form as a bit of a secondary healer

ericgrau
2011-01-31, 09:45 PM
Ah then circlet of persuasion away. Let's see... 13 ranks, maybe +3 from charisma, +3 circlet, +4 skill synergy, that's already +23 for scrolls and +19 for wands. Plenty for between combat and during combat you can use scrolls up to caster level 4th (spell level 2) plus any wand with 100% reliability. You can use higher level scrolls too with a check, especially out of combat, but given the price you don't want to go too high anyway.

Ya mixing magic types gives the most versatility. On the wizard side you're ready for most utility situations. Plus invisibility, disguise, etc. is great on a rogue. On the cleric side you can "remove X" any ailment and between battle wand of cure light wounds. Druids and rangers get interesting travel utility like +10' speed (longstrider) and pass without trace. Etc.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-01-31, 10:51 PM
I'm looking to play a rouge-ish character. only problem is, I dont like not being able to use magic. So my new alternative is to try and use UMD. How do i best optimize it?

I wasn't aware that cosmetics were typically magical in D&D.

On topic, warlocks are pretty awesome at UMD, and they aren't necessarily magical, depending on your definition.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-31, 11:06 PM
Im doing this in a campaign right now: AS A ROGUE using a wand bracer from Dungeonscape (allows access to 5 different wands as a swift action) and wand chambers (also from dungeonscape) in my rapier and buckler.

I have swift invisibility in my buckler always, and Acid Splash or Ray of Frost in my rapier.

Using the wand bracer on the same arm as my buckler, I can use the free hand to use the wands that are in the wand bracer: true strike, wraith strike, cure light wounds, vanish CL 2 (pathfinder), Darkvision, Improved Invisibility (if you can afford it)

For scrolls, I have a collection of blasting spells that are suitable for mooks: this frees up the actual sorcerers spell slots for better things.

I also keep a scroll of Slow, Haste, See Invisibility, Globe of Lesser Invulnerability, Displacement, Blur, and Heroism around, just in case.

I also have some spare utility scrolls/wands for out of combat and scouting trips. invisibility (which is min/level), knock, etc.

just remember that spell failure can interrupt UMD! a +1 twilight mithril chainshirt might be a good idea.:smallwink:

dextercorvia
2011-01-31, 11:39 PM
Shape Soulmeld: Mage's Spectacles gives +4 on UMD +2/ess.

Warlock4 is like a +9.

grarrrg
2011-02-01, 12:00 AM

Someone had to:
http://plasticandplush.com/images/2010/06/side-red-ninja-1.jpg

rouge = red
rogue = back-stabby sneaky guy

tyckspoon
2011-02-01, 12:10 AM

Please. If you're going to be class-dipping, there's a clearly better option- (Cloistered) Cleric with Magic domain. Cleric + Wizard wands, never mind that the chassis and incidental benefits of Cleric are much better than those of Wizard.

Mando Knight
2011-02-01, 12:44 AM
Someone had to:
http://plasticandplush.com/images/2010/06/side-red-ninja-1.jpg

rouge = red
rogue = back-stabby sneaky guy

Hey, a rouge ninja! :smalltongue:

Greenish
2011-02-01, 09:31 AM
I'm looking to play a rouge-ish character. only problem is, I dont like not being able to use magic.Are you familiar with the beguiler from PHBII?

Psyren
2011-02-01, 11:54 AM
Apply to the cheeks sparingly. You want to enhance, not mask, your natural coloring. The same is true of eyeshadow; less is more.

I haven't worked in UMD yet but this should be a good start.