PDA

View Full Version : Quick and dirty...(3.5)

ReluctantDragon
2011-01-31, 10:40 PM
fix for Epic Level Magic?

Say you want to just run an impromptu game and you don't feel like dealing with balancing out everything, you just want to have fun. Of course the 'just have fun' feeling is tempered by the fact that you might be confronted by players that will think fun is playing jump-rope with Solars and your 300 apprentice wizards at level 30, so what do you do?

Obviously the idea would be to disallow the Epic magic rules, but what is the progression for arcane/divine casters?

Thanks for any comments.

RD

Loki Eremes
2011-02-01, 01:25 AM
I really dont get the point of >20 campaings.

Dont get me wrong, im not here to discourage you.

The problem with hi-level campaings is that you need (as a DM) to control lots of things at the same time (this if you are a strict rule follower). Its easier if you tend to change some rules and invent things during the sesions, but most of the time this method seems forced and when you use it very often you gain the hate of your players.

Magic (even if you dont use epic magic rules) is still the best source of options there are in the entire game. This means: BIG lack of control over your campaing if you are not an experimented veteran DM.

Why dont you try banning magic?
not magic as a whole, but banning spellcasters, or reducing the sourcebooks from where they choose their spell lists.

This will make your job easier and will help you having a good time instead of worring about each step the characters take that will probably crash your plans some way.

EDIT: loved your avatar, made me laugh somehow xD

Kylarra
2011-02-01, 01:53 AM
I'd just ignore epic magic and stick with higher level slots for more metamagic, presuming you're not cheesing that.

Draz74
2011-02-01, 02:40 AM
Yeah, never played epic myself, but I've heard good things about just playing with spellcasters being allowed to progress their spellcasting in ways other than "Epic Spellcasting." Like getting Level 10+ slots for crazy metamagic'd spells.

The Automatic Metamagic feats are pretty awesome, too.

dsmiles
2011-02-01, 05:58 AM
:smallfrown:
I love epic magic. Of course, the group I game with isn't prone to abusing the system or breaking the game. Nailed to the Sky is my favorite spell. Ever.

Runestar
2011-02-01, 09:11 AM
Replace pure arcane casters with warmage and beguiler?

How much experience do your players have with epic? If very little, then they probably won't know how to break the game with magic anyways, so the problem should solve itself.

Else, don't bother about trying to balance encounters, since spellcasters in theory would just trivalise any encounter. :smalltongue: