PDA

View Full Version : What is the nerdiest thing you have ever done?

Traab
2011-01-31, 11:35 PM
For me it was this. I had an in school suspension, (Basically, you sit in one room all day doing assignments, plus a 500 word essay on why what you did was wrong) And I had this sneaking suspicion that they dont actually READ those essays. So I did an experiment. I wrote the entire thing in elvish runes taken from the back of the return of the king book. Thats right, I wrote an entire 500 word essay on why beating up people is bad, in elvish. I DARE you to top that for sheer nerditude. Oh, and no, they didnt say a single thing when I handed it in.

mathemagician
2011-01-31, 11:40 PM
I had my hardback copy of "The Road to Reality" signed by Sir Roger Penrose.

Pretty nerdy, I guess.

Vaynor
2011-01-31, 11:46 PM
I had my hardback copy of "The Road to Reality" signed by Sir Roger Penrose.

Pretty nerdy, I guess.

I've got four signed Ray Bradbury books, and the first three Harry Potter books signed as well. :smallwink:

The nerdiest thing I've ever done is probably building my own computer, but I've done a lot of nerdy things so it's hard to know for sure.

rayne_dragon
2011-01-31, 11:51 PM
Hmm... I can't top that personally (I've got a walkthrough on gameFAQs), but I know someone who can. He has made multiple, to scale, D&D cities out of lego for his games. He also once coded an entire computer game from memory, has spreadsheets for all sorts of obscure D&D things, can cite tables from numerous AD&D books from memory, and probably wrote something entirely in Tolkien's elvish but for the life of me I can't remember what. I feel reasonably sure that if you locked him in a prison cell with a pen and a stack of paper he'd spend his time writing rulebooks from memory.

arguskos
2011-02-01, 12:02 AM
Probably the entire day I spent speaking like a Cager awhile back (even posted on here in cant, actually). Props if you know what I'm actually talking about.

Other than that, I've built several computers, one of which was built on a thick mesh screen that then hung from my wall, so the computer was entirely exposed to the environment. It was surprisingly effective, and never had a mechanical issue at all. Very surprising, but there you have it.

I've also done some pretty serious geek film marathons (my record is the entire Star Wars series, all six in chronological order... followed by the entire extended edition Lord of the Rings trilogy; that was a glorious day), including the entire Futurama series, all four seasons (at the time) and all four films. That was like two days of my life, and a lot of animation. Fun though.

I've even held a really short conversation in Klingon once, just for fun. I'm no good at it though, and just read from a card.

Really though, I've no truly serious nerdcred. I take what I can get, and I think I've done decently well. For now. :smallamused:

MoonCat
2011-02-01, 12:02 AM
Definitely not the nerdiest, but on the top of my mind was today, when I spent an entire art class proving to some students that it was not possible to have fossilized ancient gold pottery in Aztec temples.

My mom's is when she spent an hour explaining the seven layers of the ISO communication model to her therapist to explain her boyfriend trouble.

Titanium Fox
2011-02-01, 12:19 AM
"Nerdiest" thing I've personally ever done is probably drop about half a grand on the full works of William Shakespeare circa 1896, first edition leatherbound.

Some smaller nerdy things... I've built my own PC, I'm a moderator on a forum based role play revolving around an Anime (Battle Royale, if you're curious), etc, etc. And, of course, play D&D.

Giggling Ghast
2011-02-01, 12:23 AM
I've wrote am writing fan fiction. That's pretty nerdy.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-01, 12:24 AM
*glances at user name*

That, probably. Otherwise I'm pretty much a failure as a nerd, and even that name was chosen more for irony than nerdism. Just not nerd material, which is a drawback in these surroundings.

I'm a romantic with a love of literature and stories, which can sometimes pass for it in dim light.

"Nerdiest" thing I've personally ever done is probably drop about half a grand on the full works of William Shakespeare circa 1896, first edition leatherbound.
Why would that be nerdy? :smallconfused:

Haruki-kun
2011-02-01, 12:26 AM
Not the nerdiest, but the first thing that comes to mind is... on a night at a friend's house I counted the sodas we had (4 2L. Bottles) and the people we were (5). Then I calculated how much each person gets to drink if we divided it equally.

Out loud. :smalleek:

RabbitHoleLost
2011-02-01, 12:27 AM
This weekend, I'm attending an "armor party" for my local Mandalorian Clan.

Yeah, I'd like to see you all top that.

Titanium Fox
2011-02-01, 12:30 AM
*glances at user name*

That, probably. Otherwise I'm pretty much a failure as a nerd, and even that name was chosen more for irony than nerdism. Just not nerd material, which is a drawback in these surroundings.

I'm a romantic with a love of literature and stories, which can sometimes pass for it in dim light.

Why would that be nerdy? :smallconfused:

Two words. Literature Nerd. Who else would go hunt down 114 year old books just so he could claim he owned "original" copies?

aart lover
2011-02-01, 12:31 AM
held a conversation in elven. probably one of the most enjoyable things i've ever done:smallbiggrin:

Trazoi
2011-02-01, 12:32 AM
I once spent a week planning a stick figure webcomic that was half film noir, half based on the internal architecture of a computer game engine I was writing. I'm not sure if that counts as nerdy or just plain weird.

Haruki-kun
2011-02-01, 12:35 AM
I once spent a week planning a stick figure webcomic that was half film noir, half based on the internal architecture of a computer game engine I was writing. I'm not sure if that counts as nerdy or just plain weird.

It can be both, you know? :smallwink:

EDIT: But I've done similar things for comics, so yeah...

userpay
2011-02-01, 12:48 AM
This weekend, I'm attending an "armor party" for my local Mandalorian Clan.

Yeah, I'd like to see you all top that.

I work (read not payed) at a seasonal Renaissance Faire and now that I've got a paying job I can travel further afield to work at more Renaissance Faires.

Haruki-kun
2011-02-01, 12:50 AM
Oh, wait.

I have long, blond hair. I went to school dressed as Edward Elric once.

That has got to be the nerdiest thing I've ever done.

Trekkin
2011-02-01, 01:05 AM
The nerdiest thing I've ever done was actually the result of a school project, which probably adds to the nerdiness. My high school freshman year world history teacher told us to pick a place on Earth, and we were to describe a postapocalyptic society we would create there using only its natural resources and one thousand people, assuming that all human artifice has been simply and painlessly removed from the planet and all depleted resources refilled. Amid a smattering of selections of tropical islands and various coastlines, I suggested to my group that we choose Svalbard, given its coal deposits, and this met with general agreement.

For the next three weeks, I spent a considerable amount of time wondering how to engineer the survival of our hypothetical tribe out of coal, iron ore, copper, zinc, and snow, as I was the group member assigned to work out physical and technological issues. It was also about this time that I was first getting into steampunk, which probably influenced my designs somewhat.

When presentation time came, most groups showed crop rotations that wouldn't work and pictures of mud huts. My portion was divided between mechanically autopiloted liquefied-coal-driven cargo submarines (ships have to deal with storms, after all), aquaculture of both seaweed and fish, miniature arcologies carved out of mountains for warmth and ease of power transmission, and a list of useful chemicals that can be synthesized out of hydrocarbons purifiable from coal (among them a number of weaponizable incendiary compounds that formed the cornerstone of our armory), all with appropriate schematics. The question of whether we could reliably extract nuclear fuel from some portion of the coal was left ominously unanswered, and was at the end of the timeline in any case.

I put together a bizarre, almost technologically plausible hybrid of the Fire Nation and Dwarf Fortress before knowing what either one was, and got an A for it. I've yet to do anything nerdier.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-02-01, 01:28 AM
I work (read not payed) at a seasonal Renaissance Faire and now that I've got a paying job I can travel further afield to work at more Renaissance Faires.

Been there.
Am still doing that :smalltongue:

Do Ren Faires actually count as nerdy?

userpay
2011-02-01, 01:50 AM
Been there.
Am still doing that :smalltongue:

Do Ren Faires actually count as nerdy?

As far as I'm concerned there are different kinds of nerdyness, though methinks us two would be biased in this situation so I'll leave it to others to decide.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-01, 02:15 AM
Probably when I learned to read. Reading is for nerdy nerds.

rakkoon
2011-02-01, 05:58 AM
I've been playing a wargame with my wife every Wednesday for the last year. I made a convert!

Lioness
2011-02-01, 06:47 AM
...revised for a chemistry exam by making chemistry-related pick up lines.

Wanna saturate my carbon chain? :smallwink:

Ashtar
2011-02-01, 06:55 AM
The nerdiest thing I've ever done was actually the result of a school project....

Trekkin, if you've got a digital copy of that report, please share it!

factotum
2011-02-01, 07:32 AM
Probably the entire day I spent speaking like a Cager awhile back (even posted on here in cant, actually). Props if you know what I'm actually talking about.

Planescape? Although I bet the guys who invented the "cant" in that don't know where "berk" originally comes from... :smallbiggrin: I did once read the entire Planescape handbook from cover to cover *even though I've never actually played a D&D game set there*, but it was amazingly well written, so I claim an excuse!

I probably can't top that for nerdiness. I will point out, though, that building your own computer is a *geeky* thing to do, not a nerdy thing--get your terms right, people! :smallwink:

Lioness
2011-02-01, 07:45 AM
I probably can't top that for nerdiness. I will point out, though, that building your own computer is a *geeky* thing to do, not a nerdy thing--get your terms right, people! :smallwink:

Oh dear...don't start that.

Because this thread will never be the same again, now :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-01, 08:11 AM
The nerdiest thing I did was enter college. I studied for the application exam one month before that, so that's the most I ever did.

The geekiest thing I did was probably write my own alphabet. The language is still forthcoming.

Thufir
2011-02-01, 08:49 AM
I've wrote am writing fan fiction. That's pretty nerdy.

I've written fanfiction about real people who I know via the internet.
Of course, so have numerous other people on this forum...

The geekiest thing I did was probably write my own alphabet. The language is still forthcoming.

Oh, I've done that as well. I even started on the language, but I didn't get very far.

Orzel
2011-02-01, 09:24 AM
Several hundred word language with it's own grammar to get out of taking a test on the Illiad.

OR

HS Gentics project using D&D races. Did your know acid breath weapon is a dominant gene but black scales are recessive?

Traab
2011-02-01, 11:06 AM
I've written fanfiction about real people who I know via the internet.
Of course, so have numerous other people on this forum...

Oh, I've done that as well. I even started on the language, but I didn't get very far.

I used to write up character back stories for lazy people on various mmorpgs in exchange for in game currency or items. I also would write entire one shots dedicated to insulting people on the video game message boards who bugged me. Stories about how that armsman has rusty armor from a troll mistaking him for an outhouse. Silly things like that.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-02-01, 11:30 AM
For me it was this. I had an in school suspension, (Basically, you sit in one room all day doing assignments, plus a 500 word essay on why what you did was wrong) And I had this sneaking suspicion that they dont actually READ those essays. So I did an experiment. I wrote the entire thing in elvish runes taken from the back of the return of the king book. Thats right, I wrote an entire 500 word essay on why beating up people is bad, in elvish. I DARE you to top that for sheer nerditude. Oh, and no, they didnt say a single thing when I handed it in.

I might have this beat...for a test in my high-school ancient history class, I created a combination letter and word replacement (some simple letter substitution, and some entire word substitution) hieroglyphic language, and used it for all the written parts of the exam. Interestingly enough, the teacher didn't ask for the key or give me an F...he actually cracked the damn thing (and told me it took him several hours to make head or tail of any part of it).

Yardo
2011-02-01, 11:46 AM
I once took appart my calculator during class and put it back together, with the display backwards, so it would display white numbers on a black background. And I build my own computer, but thats about it.

Dogmantra
2011-02-01, 12:34 PM
I might have this beat...for a test in my high-school ancient history class, I created a combination letter and word replacement (some simple letter substitution, and some entire word substitution) hieroglyphic language, and used it for all the written parts of the exam. Interestingly enough, the teacher didn't ask for the key or give me an F...he actually cracked the damn thing (and told me it took him several hours to make head or tail of any part of it).

Reminds me. I had a couple of months long cryptogram war with my awesome IT teacher. Started with an email from him telling me to go to a particular co-ordinate (turned out to be Hell, somewhere in America). It ended with him printing out several rows of pictures of badly drawn cats, wondering if the puzzle was in base 13, trinary or somehow related to musical notation. Was very fun.

Trekkin
2011-02-01, 02:03 PM
Trekkin, if you've got a digital copy of that report, please share it!

The only surviving copy, if there is one, is buried in my old laptop hard drive in Florida. If I remember when next I'm back, I'll dig it up.
At this point, I might even make a campaign setting based on it; it feels about right for a slightly darker steampunk RPG, especially since the societal side is a vaguely benevolent dictatorship as (mis)understood by fourteen-year-olds. We never actually called the largest of the arcologies Alpha Complex, but that's probably the best way to describe the likeliest realization of our theories of government.

RedDeerJebediah
2011-02-01, 02:25 PM
At a high school piano recital, I once played the opening notes of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, just to see if anyone would recognise it. No one did.
I also recently created a drum machine in Minecraft that is (of course) only capable of beats in 7/8.
In general I'm not much of an achiever in the nerdiness department, though.

Asta Kask
2011-02-01, 02:31 PM
Built a 3d-model of cholesterol and had it as an objet d'art. Also had a wall poster showing the major metabolic pathways of the cell.

Cyrion
2011-02-01, 02:33 PM
I count in binary on my fingers on a regular basis.

I also sat with a friend one evening and calculated how many boxes of Jell-o it would take to fill a 20-gallon fish tank. (sans calculator, natch.)

As a side note- nothing we've listed here qualifies us for geekdom in its true sense. Geeks are carnival performers who do morbid or disgusting things in their acts- things like bite the heads off of chickens. Does it add to my nerd score that I know that?

grimbold
2011-02-01, 02:43 PM
the nerdiest thing that i have ever done you say?
probably LARPing spock in the park while people who did not know me watched my spock quoted monty python and shouted BAZINGA

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-01, 02:46 PM
For it's going on the tangency on a report on development and having free time since I finished a Chem. Exam early.

For the Development report. A question asked what was the difference between Supportable and Sustainable development. The teacher had recommended as to download some pdfs to answer those questions. The pdfs were plain wrong so I began searching for evidence to disprove them. After a while, because of the conflicting opinions I began reading books about the subject from my parent's personal library. After that, I realized there were some ill-defined terms which had no general consensus across my bibliography, so I began doing some linguistics research. Afterwards, I had to redefine some things and scrape other concepts which made no sense. Afterwards, I began putting examples in Literature about both Development models and the workings of Dystopias and Utopias. It quickly became an essay about how many books don't consider economics and make impossible development models. From that, it veered into how such a model would work if build from the ground up on modern civilization but without previous infrastructure (If a city didn't exist but you had the technology and manpower to build on top of where it was.). Then it became a question of models which could work, but I realize some Utopia-esque models were being planned to be built, so it then became a research on modern Utopia seeking models. After a lot of tangents it ended up becoming a 50 page essay. -It took me 4 days of working non-stop, I even missed two days of school to do this homework, it was question #2. The teacher refused to read it because of volume and just wrote 100 on the registry.

On the Chem test. I finished a test on Lewis Structure and Electronic configuration in 10 minutes. It was supposed to last 40 minutes, but if you knew the Periodic Table by heart (like I did) you could skip all the dot drawing and electron counting and just fill in the blanks without making the math. Seeing so much blank space, I became rather annoyed. So I began looking at all my numeric answers (most answers were atomic numbers) and decided to write which element was each. Then, I decided I had enough blank space at the back and draw the Periodic Table, then began writing down their Atomic Number and Atomic Mass, then Electro-negativity. Afterwards with 10 minutes left I drew the orbital models and coloured and shaded them. -It ended up becoming more of an art project than a Chem-Test. I had to retake the test because I didn't write down the math for my answers and the teacher believed I had cheated because there was no way anyone would memorize the periodic table and write it down during a test.

drakir_nosslin
2011-02-01, 03:07 PM
Oh, wait.

I have long, blond hair. I went to school dressed as Edward Elric once.

That has got to be the nerdiest thing I've ever done.

It might also have been the coolest thing you've ever done. Did anyone team up as Al?

As for myself, I'm pretty much a failure in the nerds department. I once wrote an essay on Dwarves in biology. I had asked the teacher before if it was ok, but I think he expected the normal kind of dwarf... I got a 5 though, so it seems as if he liked it.

MoonCat
2011-02-01, 03:11 PM
It might also have been the coolest thing you've ever done. Did anyone team up as Al?

As for myself, I'm pretty much a failure in the nerds department. I once wrote an essay on Dwarves in biology. I had asked the teacher before if it was ok, but I think he expected the normal kind of dwarf... I got a 5 though, so it seems as if he liked it.

You double posted, I'm afraid. 5 out of what?

drakir_nosslin
2011-02-01, 03:22 PM
You double posted, I'm afraid. 5 out of what?

Yea, sorry for that, got a lot of trouble right now, seems like it's server issues again :smallfrown:

5 out of 5 :smallbiggrin: The grading went from -- which is no grade at all, through 1, which is fail, up to 5, iirc.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-01, 03:23 PM
-Pure awesome-

Wow, that outdoes anything nerdy I've ever done to the point it's completely square by comparison. :smalleek:

And subsequently it made for the nerdiest thing I've done, deciding to learn the periodic table by heart before the end of Freshman year.

If that doesn't count I also only use a calculator to double-check in Physics because I know I'm sometimes 2 or so off (on something like calculating the velocity of sound from an example's frequency and Hertz)

So I really need to up my nerdiness. *Determined face* :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2011-02-01, 08:24 PM
Skinny tie, keytar, old 80s synth, The Final Countdown.

:smallcool:

Also, carrying on a debate about set theory for half an hour with my math teacher while the rest of the class sat there.

PJ the Epic
2011-02-01, 08:33 PM
Also, carrying on a debate about set theory for half an hour with my math teacher while the rest of the class sat there.

I have done that too, but it wasn't about math. It was about quantum mechanics and why black holes exist.

But one of the nerdiest thing I have done is to take the entirity of a psych class, all 90 minutes of it, and turn it into a discussion on why reality is only how you choose to perceive it. That was fun.

MoonCat
2011-02-01, 08:41 PM
I have done that too, but it wasn't about math. It was about quantum mechanics and why black holes exist.

But one of the nerdiest thing I have done is to take the entirity of a psych class, all 90 minutes of it, and turn it into a discussion on why reality is only how you choose to perceive it. That was fun.

Pfft. I took over an entire ENGLISH class discussing why time travel would create an infinite number of parallel universes. They never looked at the Magic Tree House the same way again. :smallcool::smallbiggrin:

Skeppio
2011-02-01, 08:43 PM
I don't think I've done anything as nerdy as the rest of you, but I did dress up as the Fourth Doctor from Doctor Who for my high-school's 'Year 12 Dress-Up Day'. I don't think many of the students knew who I was, but I was quite happy when a pair of teachers asked if I was the Doctor. :smallbiggrin:

PJ the Epic
2011-02-01, 08:47 PM
Pfft. I took over an entire ENGLISH class discussing why time travel would create an infinite number of parallel universes. They never looked at the Magic Tree House the same way again. :smallcool::smallbiggrin:

That is awesome. Destroying children's books for non-children? Epic.

You could have just pointed out the grandfather paradox to them and tried to explain that. That is a bottle I haven't dared to touch yet. :smallwink:

Icewalker
2011-02-01, 08:48 PM
Currently am and am continuing to be the director of a LARP community. Usually I try to put it differently due to the unwarranted negative connotations of the term, but, for this question, well...yep.

MoonCat
2011-02-01, 08:53 PM
That is awesome. Destroying children's books for non-children? Epic.

You could have just pointed out the grandfather paradox to them and tried to explain that. That is a bottle I haven't dared to touch yet. :smallwink:

They were all the same age as me, I think it was sixth grade at the time, and they were discussing how cool it would be to do time travel ( we got there via the Tree House series). Then someone did point out the paradox, but someone said, "well, we can be really careful, I mean, even if Hitler died early on there still would've been WWII, history isn't THAT fragile" (all good points.) Then I bring up that it would cause an endless factory of parallel universes. Everything went quiet.

PJ the Epic
2011-02-01, 08:55 PM
They were all the same age as me, I think it was sixth grade at the time, and they were discussing how cool it would be to do time travel ( we got there via the Tree House series). Then someone did point out the paradox, but someone said, "well, we can be really careful, I mean, even if Hitler died early on there still would've been WWII, history isn't THAT fragile" (all good points.) Then I bring up that it would cause an endless factory of parallel universes. Everything went quiet.

*applause for the sixth grade you*. But history is that fragile :smallfrown:.
If I could travel back in time, I would just to watch that.

MoonCat
2011-02-01, 08:57 PM
*applause for the sixth grade you*. But history is that fragile :smallfrown:.
If I could travel back in time, I would just to watch that.

It was pretty funny, I admit.

Moff Chumley
2011-02-01, 08:59 PM
Er, how do you /know/ history is that fragile? :smalltongue:

I think the fundamental difference, though, is that no one actually knows what set theory is, at least no one in that class. Quantam mechanics, you generally have a pocketful of geeks on board in any given class, and certainly with time travel paradoxes.

PJ the Epic
2011-02-01, 09:02 PM

I think the fundamental difference, though, is that no one actually knows what set theory is, at least no one in that class. Quantam mechanics, you generally have a pocketful of geeks on board in any given class, and certainly with time travel paradoxes.

Not when you'r a math class ahead of where you should be for your age.

Also

"History is much like an endless waltz; the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" -Mariemaia Kushrenada
Waltzes are graceful, they take patience. If you are not careful and considerate, you break things. :smallannoyed:.

PJ the Epic: Bringing you culture since 2009. :smallbiggrin:

MoonCat
2011-02-01, 09:05 PM

Oh, I wasn't the one who said that, (but it was a good point that the momentum of major events in history is caused by many things, and removing one wouldn't end the whole thing). And I didn't go to paradoxes, I was just talking about how an infinite loop would churn out a new universe every time one of them got to the present.

Moff Chumley
2011-02-01, 09:08 PM
Unless you subscribe to the multiverse theory already, in which case the point is moot. :smalltongue:

PJ the Epic
2011-02-01, 09:09 PM
Unless you subscribe to the multiverse theory already, in which case the point is moot. :smalltongue:

But wouldn't that then imply that you already had discovered time travel in another universe? :smalltongue: I can do it too.

MoonCat
2011-02-01, 09:16 PM

They didn't like the idea even those who did suscribe, that millions of them would be created in milliseconds if they ever went back in time. :smalltongue:

thorgrim29
2011-02-01, 09:23 PM
history nerd: I once finished a 3 hour final exam on 20th century history (pretty basic stuff) in around half an hour, walked out, passed the teacher on my way out and told him he made two mistakes in his exam ( was right BTW)

Other nerd: I LARP (the fantasy camping kind with battles and no dice, not the bar kind), that is all.

PJ the Epic
2011-02-01, 09:27 PM
history nerd: I once finished a 3 hour final exam on 20th century history (pretty basic stuff) in around half an hour, walked out, passed the teacher on my way out and told him he made two mistakes in his exam ( was right BTW)

I kind of did that once. I had a math final, and the math teacher finished giving all the exams out, but forgot me. She instead gave me the key, told me to check her work, and gave me a 100 on the test. To be fair, she was a social studies teacher.

MoonCat
2011-02-01, 09:29 PM
Another example, being very fond of brocoflowers for ONE reason (never tasted one)THEY! ARE! FRACTALS!!!!!!!

Moff Chumley
2011-02-01, 09:30 PM
Oh, I had a deal going with my history teacher where he'd let me take the test at the beginning of each unit so I could nap through his class. :smalltongue:

PJ the Epic
2011-02-01, 09:30 PM
Oh, I had a deal going with my history teacher where he'd let me take the test at the beginning of each unit so I could nap through his class. :smalltongue:

I wish some of my teachers would let me do that. Mainly math. But programming too.

I taught myself Python in that class on my free time. All of it.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-01, 10:49 PM
Um. I... attempted to write a DnD adventure once?
Yeah. I fail at being nerdy. I make up for it with knowing EVERYTHING about history, generally.

Well, there was the LotR movie marathon, with themed dinners. We had lembas, and rabbit stew, and MUSHROOMS! And apples. Lot's of apples.

drakir_nosslin
2011-02-02, 03:58 AM
Yeah. I fail at being nerdy. I make up for it with knowing EVERYTHING about history, generally.

In that case you're probably qualified as a history nerd. Not all nerding is about games and stuff.

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-02, 10:16 AM
I haven't done anything particularly nerdy, but I've done lots of little nerdy things so I guess they add up.

Off the top of my head:

Working on a fantasy world with my cousin for the last 5 years (he's written a book set in it)
Started to construct my own Elvish language for said world
Currently working on a video game based on the digestive system for Biology
Finished my French exam that was supposed to take 1 1/2 hours in 20 minutes, and still got a 98%
Finished my World History exam in 30 minutes, and still got a 96%
Yesterday I found two grammatical errors in my English teacher's lecture on grammar
Dressed up as an elf for the last 3 years for Halloween
Currently trying to learn Tengwar script.
I play D&D
I'm on this forum
I regularly discuss many nerdy things with a buddy from French class
Et cetera

KuReshtin
2011-02-02, 10:35 AM
What constitutes as being nerdy?

I once traveled to the US on my own to meet up with a bunch of internet buddies on a three and a half week tour of the south, culminating in attending a wedding ceremony between two of the people from the chat community that had met through said chat community.

I also manged to annoy my math teacher by pointing out that two of the questions in the test he had us take were incorrectly formatted and/or had incorrect information in them. I ended up not having to do one of them, but figured out the answer to both the stated question and the actual correct answer, had the question used the correct facts (I still claim that the question was incorrect as an official marathon is 42,195 meters, and not 'about 41 kilometers').

Thufir
2011-02-02, 10:37 AM
As a side note- nothing we've listed here qualifies us for geekdom in its true sense. Geeks are carnival performers who do morbid or disgusting things in their acts- things like bite the heads off of chickens. Does it add to my nerd score that I know that?

I've had this argument before. It may interest you to know that dictionary.reference.com lists that as the 3rd definition of geek, after the more commonly used ones. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/geek) Which hardly qualifies it as the 'true' sense of the word.

I had to retake the test because I didn't write down the math for my answers and the teacher believed I had cheated because there was no way anyone would memorize the periodic table and write it down during a test.

Fail teacher is fail. *Shakes head disappointedly*

PJ the Epic
2011-02-02, 11:21 AM
What constitutes as being nerdy?

I don't know. I think a lot of things do. Whenever I tell people that I read a D&D based stick figure webcomic, and participate in a forum about said comic and others, people look at me strange.

Traab
2011-02-02, 11:32 AM
Heh, a friend of mine and I used to go through the school textbooks looking for errors. Either inaccurate information, or even just silly spelling errors. I actually remember pointing out some errors in our history book, then several years, (and schools) later, we used the next version of that history book.... and it had the same spelling errors! Apparently all they did was put a new cover on the dang thing.

I also used to drive my teachers nuts by reading novels in class instead of listening to the lectures, then answering their questions correctly whenever they thought they would embarass me for not paying attention. That is what bugged them the most. Even reading some fantasy novel, I was still able to listen to what they were saying. (It didnt hurt that the first thing I read every school year were the text books for all my classes)

Cyrion
2011-02-02, 11:35 AM
I've had this argument before. It may interest you to know that dictionary.reference.com lists that as the 3rd definition of geek, after the more commonly used ones. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/geek) Which hardly qualifies it as the 'true' sense of the word.

Then to be more precise- based on its etymological origins (a fool) and subsequent use, its use to refer to carnies predates its milder uses in today's slang.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-02, 11:45 AM
And then there is the , surprisingly recently no longer used, meaning of dork as penis.
Hmm, going to an RPG gaming convention, was pretty nerdy. Yelling out at a 2010 New Years Party, "2010, The Year We Make Contact!" was very nerdy.
Been here is pretty nerdy, seriously and soberly discussing the possibilities of male pregnancy from the use of magic items was very nerdy. I play D&D and Pathfinder, that's pretty nerdy. Call of Cthulhu and Toon are both on my top 5 Games I Want to Play Someday, I have no idea how nerdy that is.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-02, 12:09 PM
Ermm, finishing all of my GCSE and A Level exams in about half the time they were meant to be set. Not particularly nerdy or geeky.

When I was nine or ten I was a Star Wars fan, and The Phantom Menace a short while ago.
Didn't like it.
So when we had to write a short story in English I instead wrote what can essentially be termed parodic fanfiction.
Star Wars crossed with a 1950s Attack of the Fifty Foot Whatever to be precise.
It was called Annie Laketreader and the Attack of the Mutant Horse Chestnut, it was about ten pages long (so five or more times the length of everyone else's) and then it turned out we had to read them to the class.
I was last up, so I turned on the cheese and went for it.
It ended in a cliffhanger so by unanimous demand I wrote a sequel of equal length. I even used all the terminology I knew correctly.

More recently, I started the shipping threads, and now deconstruct and anaylsis Dominic Deegan for fun, with other similar projects planned for the future.

I can probably read any text written in any form of English you give me ranging from c. 550AD to now. All self-taught.
I'm fairly okay at Middle French. Again self-taught. I can read and understand spoken Spanish even though I've never learnt any of it. I'm teaching myself Japanese. Fair grounding in linguistics, so I can probably have a general chat about most languages; and I'm fairly fluent in the IPA.
Those aren't really nerdy though.
Although I am considering trying to learn Arabic or Akkadian. And I do need to start teaching myself Latin.

But more generally, whenever someone brings up a literary discussion I'll have almost always heard of, or read said book(s).

Really, I've not done much. Honestly the most nerdy thing I've ever done would be joining this forum (and thus picking up some basic D&D terms and understanding) and attending meetups.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-02, 12:40 PM
Heh, a friend of mine and I used to go through the school textbooks looking for errors. Either inaccurate information, or even just silly spelling errors. I actually remember pointing out some errors in our history book, then several years, (and schools) later, we used the next version of that history book.... and it had the same spelling errors! Apparently all they did was put a new cover on the dang thing.

Yeah. Me and mah best friend have had... bad luck with incompetent teachers. Once we actually just got up in the middle of science class, said "Ms, you're wrong", and then taught the class.

Another time, we got a research assignment from a student teacher who was teaching the class. The rubric said "avoid incorrect information". One of the subjects assigned was "Richard the Lionheart and the 4th Crusade"

That man was just ignorant. That class was generally frustrating. When you take an Ancient History class, sure, Ancient Egypt is expected, but Nubia, Mali, Songhai, Feminist Pre-history? We didn't even mention Greece or Rome. And then the next history class, we have the other teacher this year, and it's all "As we learned about the Roman government system..." "Wait, who are the romans? Those were the priest class in pagan Nubia, right? Or were those the Malian bureaucrats..."

It will happen.

We also spent 2 weeks drumming instead of learning history. I get it, African history is interesting, but how does this have anything to do with LEARNING HISTORY! We're just drumming and singing a goddamn song in Swahili! :smallfurious::smallfurious:

Geno9999
2011-02-02, 12:57 PM
I nerdiest thing I probably ever done was beat Super Mario Bros. (NO WARPING!)
When I was probably less than 10 years old. And I regularly tried to get around 800,000 points by the time I beat world 8 Bowser. :smallcool:

Traab
2011-02-02, 01:10 PM
I nerdiest thing I probably ever done was beat Super Mario Bros. (NO WARPING!)
When I was probably less than 10 years old. And I regularly tried to get around 800,000 points by the time I beat world 8 Bowser. :smallcool:

I never did beat that game, the pipe maze at the last castle kept messing me up. But then, I think I was even younger than 8 at the time, so I stuck with duck hunt. :p Opps, I think I mistook which amrio game you were playing. I was reffering to the original mario game for the 8 bit nintendo.

Sipex
2011-02-02, 01:26 PM
Unsure what my nerdiest thing is, some of my activities are considered quite nerdy by some but in this place? Kind of tame.

D&D night is probably the nerdiest thing I do or have done. We play D&D and quote nerdy jokes the entire time along with exchanging interesting facts.

Geno9999
2011-02-02, 02:10 PM
I never did beat that game, the pipe maze at the last castle kept messing me up. But then, I think I was even younger than 8 at the time, so I stuck with duck hunt. :p Opps, I think I mistook which amrio game you were playing. I was reffering to the original mario game for the 8 bit nintendo.

Yeah, I played Super Mario Bros. on Super Mario All Stars.

Maxios
2011-02-02, 02:13 PM
The nerdiest thing I ever did was get excited when Oblivion had good physics. Of course, I also learned some latin from Fallout: New Vegas so that may also count

Jay R
2011-02-02, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure which is the geekiest:

1. I memorized pi to 50 digits.

2. I wrote a Canterbury Tale, in heroic couples, complete with general prologue, prologue to the tale, and epilogue.

3. When asked, in English class, what I thought made a tragedy, I quoted the definition from Aristotle.

4. As a student, I arranged for the first Tolkien class at Rice University, which is still in the English department curriculum.

5. I wrote a Batman poem in Edgar Allan Poe's style.

6. I still own my original D&D books, from back when they still had hobbits, ents and balrogs.

7. I translated a speech in the Iliad to English, maintaining the dactylic hexameter meter, and translated a Petrarchan sonnet into an English one.

8. I sold designs and models of 48-, 60-, and 120-sided dice to Gamescience.

9. I currently teach algebra. My school requires me to do training each year to show that I'm keeping up in my field. This year I submitted my new patent, a mathematical algorithm, approved in 2011. When the associate dean questioned if that really showed that I'm keeping up in my field, I replied, "No, it shows my field is keeping up with me."

But I think the geekiest of all, or at least the most important geeky act, was that after I proposed, I gave my fiancee a carefully researched and hand calligraphed 16th-century-style wedding endowment contract.

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-02, 05:36 PM
1. I memorized pi to 50 digits.

Pfft, that's nothing. I have a file saved on my computer with the first 200,000,000 digits.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-02, 05:52 PM
Pfft, that's nothing. I have a file saved on my computer with the first 200,000,000 digits.
But have you memorized it?:smallamused:

Force
2011-02-02, 06:01 PM
Walked across campus in a maille (chainmail) hauberk with a foam sword & shield slung over my back.

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-02, 06:11 PM
But have you memorized it?:smallamused:

Not technically...

Walked across campus in a maille (chainmail) hauberk with a foam sword & shield slung over my back.

If it was allowed at my school I would wear that to school every day.

Force
2011-02-02, 07:17 PM
If it was allowed at my school I would wear that to school every day.

You have an article in your code of student conduct that says you may not wear medieval armor to class? That is... very specific. :smalleek:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-02, 07:32 PM
You have an article in your code of student conduct that says you may not wear medieval armor to class? That is... very specific. :smalleek:

I am going to do wear this to my first uni classes.

wxdruid
2011-02-02, 07:40 PM
Hm, I bought a Star Trek Academy Spork. :smallbiggrin: I also put my username from here on my license plate.

Dust
2011-02-02, 08:17 PM
I went to my first and only con dressed up as General Celes from Final Fantasy VI and ended up making out with a guy dressed as Kefka. We dated for a year.

I spent three months of my life trying to beat the Chrono Trigger speed record. Never even came close.

I can quote Ford Prefect's for every occasion.

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-02, 08:27 PM

Hm, according to my student handbook caps, hats, outdoor jackets, coats, bandannas, revealing shirts/blouses, midriff blouses, tube tops, pants that measure 2 inches in excess of waist, and clothing that depicts certain topics is banned. But not medieval armor. Interesting. :smallamused:

Now, to acquire some chain maille...

Moff Chumley
2011-02-02, 10:38 PM
This is small peanuts, of course, but wearing a bathrobe to school on the forty second day of the year? Of course.

MoonCat
2011-02-02, 10:42 PM
I should totally wear a chain mail bikini (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChainmailBikini) to school one day. Except I would look something like a pink potato. :smallfrown:

ERROR
2011-02-02, 11:50 PM
My brother and I argued over whether Darth Vader needs to eat or not. I said that there is a correlation between breathing and digesting (We use the oxygen we get from breathing to literally burn our food), and Vader is notorious for his breathing, so I concluded that, yes, he needs to eat.

That's about it, actually.

OverThoughtName
2011-02-03, 12:09 AM
Made a movie in high school for the Junior Classical League that was a string of pop-culture references, including Pulp Fiction, Star Wars, and Monty Python, set to the premise of Brutus betraying Caesar. Yes, of course we got first place, but I'd still call it the low-point of nerd-dom for me.

Jallorn
2011-02-03, 12:30 AM
Well, I've got a few nerdy things, but most of them kinda sorta peter out.

When I was younger and had only recently learned of DnD, I tried to create a game system for a superhero game. I created a level system of sorts and powers to be purchased. It never got any further than that though.

I've made numerous attempts at creating a code (just simple letter substitution, not very strong), and once made a stab at a new language, with it's own grammar rules and everything. I might still have that somewhere actually, but I have no clue where.

I tried to start a DnD group at my high school, and would have if the system wasn't a bureaucratic nightmare right now or this wasn't my last year.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-02-03, 10:55 PM
I've done several very nerdy things, including but not limited to:

1) Wrote the essays on my AP Government and AP US History exams in high school entirely in sonnet form, both Shakespearean and Petrarchan, then filled up the second half of the testing block (I finished early) writing a haiku and limerick for every historical event mentioned in the corresponding test. ("There once was a Lincoln named Abe....")

2) Hand-made an accurate Star Wars Imperial officer uniform for a halloween costume--and by accurate I mean "watched the movies, all zoomed-in, multiple times and did some additional research to make sure I got the details right"--complete with code cylinders and a Lego rank insignia.

3) Memorized Aurabesh (the Star Wars alphabet), created my own font of hand-written Aurabesh characters scanned into the computer (since the ones I could find online didn't have all of the font effects and punctuation), and wrote all of the code for my programming courses that year in it.

4) Wrote a list of "1001 Reason the Star Wars Prequels Sucked and What Needs to Be Changed" (can you tell I'm a SW fan yet?) and then re-wrote all of the scripts to fit the list (and even sketched out some storyboards, though I'm as artistic as C-3PO is Force-sensitive). Sadly, this was before I had my own computer and thus could compulsively save every electronic document I ever made as I do now, so both the list and the script(s) are long gone. :smallfrown:

5) Accumulated a Lego collection so large that, to this day, my parents tell people I forced my family to move when I was in 1st grade due to my Lego collection outgrowing the room I kept it in.

6) Have reached my junior year in college, have finished my bachelor's degree and one minor, have started working on my master's and second minor, and am still maintaining an A average without having to study for a single test. My 8th-grade science teacher told my class one day "You should all pick up study habits now, 'cause sooner or later you'll need them." When the entire class looked over at me incredulously (I was the class nerd, of course) she said "Yes, even you, [name]," and when I responded in the negative she bet me I wouldn't last past high school. I'm still winning. :smallcool:

7) Convinced 10+ people my freshman year of college to pick up D&D and DMed a 10-PC game for them that year. I've sufficiently corrupted my roommate that he's now looking into PbP games on this site because playing 1 D&D game and 1 d20 Modern game at once isn't enough for him.

8) Played two concurrent chess games, against people who were fairly good at chess, and beat them both while reading a book (Lord of Chaos from the Wheel of Time, for the folks keeping score at home). Move piece on left board, shift book to left hand, move piece on right board, read for a bit, shift book to right hand, repeat until checkmate.

9) Read all of War and Peace during a school day in 6th grade. We were in a contest to see who could read the most pages in a month since our English class required a certain number of pages read each quarter, and when I said "I can beat your page count even if I have to read something the size of War and Peace to every book you read" she bet me I couldn't read even one book like that. I started reading it when school started, read through my morning classes, and when we came into English class right after lunch, I plunked the book down, proved I hadn't just skimmed it, and collected my $20.

10) Bragged about my accomplishments on a D&D forum. :smallwink:

Lord Raziere
2011-02-03, 11:42 PM
Once in a history class, we got into groups and played this game of history jeopardy, with us choosing the cards and points to answer and all that and the teacher being host and such. I came in second place- and I wasn't even in a group. I literally gone through and answered it all on my own and the only reason I did not win was because another group got lucky and landed a daily double.

unosarta
2011-02-03, 11:52 PM
I put together a bizarre, almost technologically plausible hybrid of the Fire Nation and Dwarf Fortress before knowing what either one was, and got an A for it. I've yet to do anything nerdier.

Ah, freshman world history classes. In mine, we were told to make a culture, and give detailed descriptions of everything. Everyone else did something like "Eddie-Ville" or "Awesomeland."

My country's name was Ala'ard Alkhadra. It was a river-based farming society that lived in trees. The higher caste lived in the trees, and oppressed the lower caste, of which half invariably died during the flooding season. The lower castes worshiped a river god that brought life and death, and the higher caste worshiped a sky god (if I recall correctly). They were vehemently racist and extremist, and even the heavily oppressed lower caste still resented outsiders more than they disliked the higher caste.

I also decided to write a language for both castes. Which was fun.

Needless to say, even though I had a small role, I ended writing... probably 95% of the material. And I got an A.

I have yet to do something that so let my D&D skill shine. :smallsigh:

BiblioRook
2011-02-04, 12:29 AM
Not terribly impressive, but back in college I basically ran both the RPG club and Anime club at the same time for quite a while.
I don't recommend it, it just makes you start to hate it. I actually had to stop playing D&D for some time and I still can't watch anime to this day. :smallannoyed:

I also currently participate in a Larp, but I'm not sure if I should really count that as I'm not even really all that into it. I'm actually there more (as strange as this may sound) for the social interaction.

Edit: Oh, and there's also the possibility I'll be volunteering at Comic-Con this year. Still minor, but noteworthy if I can manage it :smallbiggrin:

Derjuin
2011-02-04, 12:46 AM
I don't get the opportunity to do too many nerdy things with my unnerdy hipster-esque friends, who are too ironically obscurely cool to be anything but ironically nerdy in a cool, ironic and obscure way...but I'm tentatively putting a plan together to go to Gencon this year dressed as Vriska (http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Vriska_Serket).

I've also built a small temple out of soda cans to enshrine my pink chibithulhu (but was forced to deconstruct it, unfortunately).

Oh, I also drew the world map for a D&D game I was running previously (on these boards) on several sheets of paper taped together, then hung it on my wall so I could have easy access to it. :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-04, 12:48 AM
:eek: I am not worthy....

.... nerdiest thing I've ever done... probably convince around 7 non-nerd friends to acompany me to an Anime-con.... all cosplaying (two of them went as bunny-girls!!)

Larping

Making my IB business commentary on the history of TSR/WoTC as a company (well I am working on it ATM).

I am a bit fluent in 1337... but not too much.

orkchop
2011-02-04, 01:08 AM
I am an old-school nerd. I bore people to tears by looking at my watch, pointing at the sky and naming the satellite passing overhead. I use heavens-above.com to get the pass info. It really keeps me current with knowing the celestial sphere! I have pet names for dozens of asterisms.

I love to use space program jargon while driving. Bump a curb while parking? "Contact light."

Moff Chumley
2011-02-04, 01:44 AM
I just wanna say: this thread fills me with a profound sense of shame. v.v

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-04, 01:52 AM
I just wanna say: this thread fills me with a profound sense of shame and envy. v.v

fixed that for you :smallfrown:

Moff Chumley
2011-02-04, 01:54 AM
Well, if I'm allowed more than two adjectives...

Shame, envy, unworthiness, awe, respect, and pride in my fellow playgrounders.

:smalltongue:

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-04, 04:39 PM
I've done several very nerdy things, including but not limited to:

1) Wrote the essays on my AP Government and AP US History exams in high school entirely in sonnet form, both Shakespearean and Petrarchan, then filled up the second half of the testing block (I finished early) writing a haiku and limerick for every historical event mentioned in the corresponding test. ("There once was a Lincoln named Abe....")

2) Hand-made an accurate Star Wars Imperial officer uniform for a halloween costume--and by accurate I mean "watched the movies, all zoomed-in, multiple times and did some additional research to make sure I got the details right"--complete with code cylinders and a Lego rank insignia.

3) Memorized Aurabesh (the Star Wars alphabet), created my own font of hand-written Aurabesh characters scanned into the computer (since the ones I could find online didn't have all of the font effects and punctuation), and wrote all of the code for my programming courses that year in it.

4) Wrote a list of "1001 Reason the Star Wars Prequels Sucked and What Needs to Be Changed" (can you tell I'm a SW fan yet?) and then re-wrote all of the scripts to fit the list (and even sketched out some storyboards, though I'm as artistic as C-3PO is Force-sensitive). Sadly, this was before I had my own computer and thus could compulsively save every electronic document I ever made as I do now, so both the list and the script(s) are long gone. :smallfrown:

5) Accumulated a Lego collection so large that, to this day, my parents tell people I forced my family to move when I was in 1st grade due to my Lego collection outgrowing the room I kept it in.

6) Have reached my junior year in college, have finished my bachelor's degree and one minor, have started working on my master's and second minor, and am still maintaining an A average without having to study for a single test. My 8th-grade science teacher told my class one day "You should all pick up study habits now, 'cause sooner or later you'll need them." When the entire class looked over at me incredulously (I was the class nerd, of course) she said "Yes, even you, [name]," and when I responded in the negative she bet me I wouldn't last past high school. I'm still winning. :smallcool:

7) Convinced 10+ people my freshman year of college to pick up D&D and DMed a 10-PC game for them that year. I've sufficiently corrupted my roommate that he's now looking into PbP games on this site because playing 1 D&D game and 1 d20 Modern game at once isn't enough for him.

8) Played two concurrent chess games, against people who were fairly good at chess, and beat them both while reading a book (Lord of Chaos from the Wheel of Time, for the folks keeping score at home). Move piece on left board, shift book to left hand, move piece on right board, read for a bit, shift book to right hand, repeat until checkmate.

9) Read all of War and Peace during a school day in 6th grade. We were in a contest to see who could read the most pages in a month since our English class required a certain number of pages read each quarter, and when I said "I can beat your page count even if I have to read something the size of War and Peace to every book you read" she bet me I couldn't read even one book like that. I started reading it when school started, read through my morning classes, and when we came into English class right after lunch, I plunked the book down, proved I hadn't just skimmed it, and collected my $20.

10) Bragged about my accomplishments on a D&D forum. :smallwink:

Ah, freshman world history classes. In mine, we were told to make a culture, and give detailed descriptions of everything. Everyone else did something like "Eddie-Ville" or "Awesomeland."

My country's name was Ala'ard Alkhadra. It was a river-based farming society that lived in trees. The higher caste lived in the trees, and oppressed the lower caste, of which half invariably died during the flooding season. The lower castes worshiped a river god that brought life and death, and the higher caste worshiped a sky god (if I recall correctly). They were vehemently racist and extremist, and even the heavily oppressed lower caste still resented outsiders more than they disliked the higher caste.

I also decided to write a language for both castes. Which was fun.

Needless to say, even though I had a small role, I ended writing... probably 95% of the material. And I got an A.

I have yet to do something that so let my D&D skill shine. :smallsigh:

You two are incredibly nerdy. Have an internet, both of you.

RedDeerJebediah
2011-02-05, 07:40 AM
I remembered some other nerdy achievements of mine that are somewhat worth mentioning, though they do seem rather insignificant compared to everything else here...

- I live with my parents. For the past 4 years, I have barely spent money on anything but expenses relating to my band, beer and synthesizers. Mostly synthesizers. My most recent purchase is a compact, semi-modular, completely analog unit - because presets are for *******.
I have also attempted to explain to at least three different people the complete process of subtractive synthesis, and each time spending at least half an hour doing so with great enthusiasm.
When I realized my newest synth had analog low-frequency oscillators capaple of modulation frequencies in the audio-spectrum, I felt slightly warm and fuzzy inside.

- I once ordered at McDonalds in a pirate costume, complete with missing leg, a wild beard that had been growing for 6 months, pistol and accent. ("Do you take Maaaarrrstercaaaarrrrd!?")

- On average, I corrected my English teacher (who was awful and hated by everybody) three times each class and still managed to be the teacher's pet, recieving top grades despite barely turning in any assignments.

- In general, I mostly recieved top grades without really studying properly for any exams.

Well, if I'm allowed more than two adjectives...

Shame, envy, unworthiness, awe, respect, and pride in my fellow playgrounders.

:smalltongue:

I concur. I concur pretty frickin' hard. :smalltongue:

LordShotGun
2011-02-05, 07:58 AM
I screamed out "UNTRAINED NATURAL 20!!!" when I totally aced a test that I never studied for and was sure that I did horribly on. Perhaps what was even nerdier was that about half of the people in the room got what I ment and had a good laugh.

The teacher was so confused.

Starscream
2011-02-05, 09:41 AM
I got into an argument with a friend over which Batman villainess was more attractive (both physically and personality wise), Poison Ivy or Harley Quinn. We had several classes together, so the debate raged on throughout the day.

The next day we polled the entire school between classes. We showed pictures of the characters, described what they were like, and took votes. Catwoman and Talia al Ghul were also in the running, just for fairness.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but Ivy won with over 40% of the vote, with Catwoman and Harley both very close for second place. Nobody seemed to care about Talia much.

What really tipped the scales was the surprisingly high number of votes from female students (who we didn't expect to feel that strongly about the issue). They overwhelmingly liked Poison Ivy best. :smallbiggrin:

AshDesert
2011-02-05, 12:03 PM
We have three kittens that like to hang around our neighborhood. They like to spend the most time at our house, and I'm getting them to answer to Kirk, Spock and McCoy :smallbiggrin:

When I was 9 my two hobbies were 1) Creating complex ciphers and watching people invariably fail to crack them and 2) Pokemon Blue (which I still have and play often).

I use Legos instead of tiles and minis for D&D campaigns when I host (I often spend more time building sets out of Legos than I do actually writing up sessions).

My dad and I spent a 4-day weekend watching: the first six Star Trek movies, all six Star Wars movies, the extended edition LOTR movies, and about 8 hours straight of 4th Doctor serials.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I also like building instruments out of random things and seeing how they sound.

And I'm also a massive guitar gear geek. I'm actually going into electrical engineering because I found out that I'm good with electronics from messing around with amps and effects.

IcarusWings
2011-02-05, 01:00 PM
- I once ordered at McDonalds in a pirate costume, complete with missing leg, a wild beard that had been growing for 6 months, pistol and accent. ("Do you take Maaaarrrstercaaaarrrrd!?")

This has been added to my list of things to do before I die. In fact, it's been shunted right to the top of the list, replacing even my desire to propose by revealing a ring inside a Poke-ball and saying "I choose you" :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2011-02-05, 01:08 PM
- I live with my parents. For the past 4 years, I have barely spent money on anything but expenses relating to my band, beer and synthesizers. Mostly synthesizers. My most recent purchase is a compact, semi-modular, completely analog unit - because presets are for *******.

You realize, as a fellow synth geek, I'm forced to ask: what kinda stuff do you have? :smallbiggrin:

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-02-05, 02:43 PM
I use Legos instead of tiles and minis for D&D campaigns when I host (I often spend more time building sets out of Legos than I do actually writing up sessions).

Same here! Best pictures I have, sorry, I'm not at home now:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/psychictheurge10/Table-1.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/psychictheurge10/GoodGuys.jpg

RedDeerJebediah
2011-02-05, 03:19 PM
You realize, as a fellow synth geek, I'm forced to ask: what kinda stuff do you have? :smallbiggrin:

Certainly. :smallbiggrin:
My band-related keyboard rig includes this:

Kurzweil (PC3, light-weighted keys to prevent organ glissandos being the most horridly painful experience on the planet. Awesome workstation! All the vintage keyboard sounds are very authentic and it's just a pleasure to play. Synth engine is decently flexible but doesn't really compare tonewise to specialised analog or virtual analog gear. And programming on the synth itself without using a computer is cumbersome.)

Nord Wave (Interesting synth. It can play back any sample you load into it and use the sample waveforms as modulation sources. Ever wondered what a saw wave would sound like if its harmonic structure was identical to that of a clavinet, electric guitar or a screaming man? Mostly I just use it for polyphonic synth stuff - it sounds great all-around and is very intuitive when it comes to programming.)

Moog Little Phatty (It's a frickin' Moog! Awesome tone. It's incredibly sensitive about what outlet you plug it into; non-grounded outlets can have the virtual dials spinning all over the place, which is quite annoying. When it is stable it's a joy to work with. It has a remarkable ability to cut through the mix at relatively low volumes.)

Korg Kaoss Pad 3 (Interesting combination of features. Honestly I don't use this as much as I ought to. Right now I pretty much only use it as an effect unit for the Moog)

At home I have a Korg X50 (my first synth, fairly crappy compared to my new stuff), a Yamaha stage piano and a Doepfer Dark Energy (aforementioned analog beauty). And that's about it :smalltongue:

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread like this, btw. I figured the post was sufficiently geeky to fit the subject matter. :smallamused:

Moff Chumley
2011-02-05, 03:28 PM
Kurzweil stuff is awesome. :smallbiggrin:
Also, the Nord Wave has to be my favorite digital synth out there. No way can I afford one, but I can dream... :smallsigh:

All I have at the moment is an ancient Korg DSS-1 I, er, borrowed from my school. 16 DCOs, an analog VCF, and unison detune mode. Fun stuff. :smallbiggrin:

SnowballMan
2011-02-05, 03:56 PM
Quote Star Wars.

Specifically, I went up to four members of the 501st, pointed to the most heightenly challenged, and said "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Their immediate response was to shout "Get him!" and then proceeded to chase me around Gen Con. They also displayed a stunning amount of team work as they split up and managed to cut me off as I tried to double back.

Jallorn
2011-02-05, 04:02 PM
Stuff I don't deserve to quote.

I am in awe great one. *prostrate*

Starscream
2011-02-05, 10:28 PM
This has been added to my list of things to do before I die. In fact, it's been shunted right to the top of the list, replacing even my desire to propose by revealing a ring inside a Poke-ball and saying "I choose you" :smalltongue:

Ant girl who says yes to that is nerdy enough to be a keeper, for sure.

AshDesert
2011-02-05, 10:44 PM
Same here! Best pictures I have, sorry, I'm not at home now:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/psychictheurge10/Table-1.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/psychictheurge10/GoodGuys.jpg

Hmm... I never thought to actually create the squares with the Legos themselves. I don't actually use Legos for every environment, just for the bigger, more important battles and grandiose set pieces since I just like flexing my Lego muscles now and then and we just kind of wing it on the distances (usually 3 knobby-things by 3 knobby-things per square) just like on encounters that are all in our heads. Actually, some stuff like basic encounters with maybe a couple environmental hazards and shops etc. are so easy to visualize there's no point in it, plus I have no way of knowing where my players are going to go.

It's also fun to create minis out of Legos, it's kind of like OotS where the visual style is simple so you have to focus on the big picture and imply the details. I also like the fact that they're customizable, unlike the store-bought minis. Letting the players customize their own appearance without having to explain the differences between the mini and what their character actually looks like is a good thing in my book.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-05, 10:50 PM
I got back into creating a campaign world again. Darn you folks.

I'm not really doing it to CAMPAIGN in. I just wanna do it cause I like cultures, and history, and maps, and I like making a world that makes SENSE.

It includes a map drawn on 4 pieces of paper, taped together. It's wonderful.

unosarta
2011-02-05, 10:52 PM
I got back into creating a campaign world again. Darn you folks.

I'm not really doing it to CAMPAIGN in. I just wanna do it cause I like cultures, and history, and maps, and I like making a world that makes SENSE.

It includes a map drawn on 4 pieces of paper, taped together. It's wonderful.

I do this all the time. Simply making a world in its own right is often enough of a rush that I don't need to have players interact with it.

Also, I really, really like making maps, so there is that too.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-05, 11:03 PM
I do this all the time. Simply making a world in its own right is often enough of a rush that I don't need to have players interact with it.

Also, I really, really like making maps, so there is that too.

I based it off the average DnD world, so it's not TOO strange and alien.
Which means I just finished writing an overview of the 3 remaining provinces of the Empire of Tiflinia, home to the race known to Men as the Tieflings. In the base 4e fluff, it said they were heirs to an ancient empire, so I basically made them into a delusional Byzantine Empire.

Let's see, what did I do to them... I had the southern province, Mirus, which was half breadbasket, quarter desert, quarter tidal flats, with an economy based off of cheap salt, and a bit of a construction boom provincial capital, then you had the CAPITAL, Urbvetus, which was, true to Constantinople, actually a busy city, not a ruin, but then you had the northern provinces, Inspira, half of which is covered with abandoned towns and villages, cause it was just settled willy-nilly, without regard to resources, and Susicivus, which is about half Poccnr Human, the Poccnr being based on today's Abkhazian, Adyghe, and histories Alan cultures.

Ooooh, and they had a colony on a sort of Iceland equivalent.

unosarta
2011-02-05, 11:05 PM
I based it off the average DnD world, so it's not TOO strange and alien.
Which means I just finished writing an overview of the 3 remaining provinces of the Empire of Tiflinia, home to the race known to Men as the Tieflings. In the base 4e fluff, it said they were heirs to an ancient empire, so I basically made them into a delusional Byzantine Empire.

Let's see, what did I do to them... I had the southern province, Mirus, which was half breadbasket, quarter desert, quarter tidal flats, with an economy based off of cheap salt, and a bit of a construction boom provincial capital, then you had the CAPITAL, Urbvetus, which was, true to Constantinople, actually a busy city, not a ruin, but then you had the northern provinces, Inspira, half of which is covered with abandoned towns and villages, cause it was just settled willy-nilly, without regard to resources, and Susicivus, which is about half Poccnr Human, the Poccnr being based on today's Abkhazian, Adyghe, and histories Alan cultures.

Ooooh, and they had a colony on a sort of Iceland equivalent.

That... doesn't really sound like your average D&D setting. It sounds way more awesome.

Go you.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-02-06, 12:16 AM
Hmm... I never thought to actually create the squares with the Legos themselves. I don't actually use Legos for every environment, just for the bigger, more important battles and grandiose set pieces since I just like flexing my Lego muscles now and then and we just kind of wing it on the distances (usually 3 knobby-things by 3 knobby-things per square) just like on encounters that are all in our heads. Actually, some stuff like basic encounters with maybe a couple environmental hazards and shops etc. are so easy to visualize there's no point in it, plus I have no way of knowing where my players are going to go.

I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but I can build dungeon setups on the fly because the tiles come in varying sizes of snap-together modules; making up maps on the fly is just as easy (and more accurate size- and distance-wise) as drawing things on graph paper or a white board.

And FYI, the "knobby-things" are called studs by true Lego devotees. :smallwink:

It's also fun to create minis out of Legos, it's kind of like OotS where the visual style is simple so you have to focus on the big picture and imply the details. I also like the fact that they're customizable, unlike the store-bought minis. Letting the players customize their own appearance without having to explain the differences between the mini and what their character actually looks like is a good thing in my book.

Yeah, the best part of using Lego minis is being able to say "Okay, in the orc's gear you find a chain shirt and a +2 longsword," and then having the player actually put the loot on his mini.

Cespenar
2011-02-06, 06:22 AM
Does using the milisecond digit of a digital watch's stopwatch feature to act as a d10 and devising multiple games based on that (in an age of 7, by the way), and the said games becoming popular enough to distract many other nerds from their lessons count, considering I had never heard anything even close to a RPG at the time?

Cyrion
2011-02-07, 10:51 AM
I named a cat Schrodinger.

Yora
2011-02-07, 11:01 AM
I painted a full scale flag with the symbol of our D&D party.
I think I still have it, but havn't put it back on the wall since I moved last year.
*goes searching*

Themrys
2011-02-07, 11:11 AM

Can't beat that. The nerdiest thing I have ever done was to learn how to write in elvish runes.

Asta Kask
2011-02-07, 11:45 AM
I turned in a lab report in hexameter once.

some guy
2011-02-07, 12:24 PM
Well, the most nerdiest thing was starting a Nerd-organization for biology students. We have movie nights, DnD, CoC, game nights, Magic the Gathering tournaments, lan-parties, things like that.

Also ranking high is converting people to DnD and CoC.
Most fun would be when I organized an event which combined Host a Murder, LARP and adventure games. People would run around looking for clues, items and talk with people while avoiding getting grabbed by the dreaded clownzombies and disrupting the plans of a mad scientist in the end. So much fun seeing non-nerds running for their lives while screaming because they were chased by clownzombies in an university building.

One Tin Soldier
2011-02-07, 03:06 PM
I don't have much that's really spectacular, but...

Over the course of about 7 years I designed a fictional physics system for people turning into dragons. (And then later telekinesis, teleportation, etc.) It revolves around 4 physical dimensions, and its actually pretty dang resilient. There have been times when I've thought about certain aspects of it and realized that it explained things that I wasn't sure about on its own. Then I started writing stories that use it.

Once, for an AP Physics project, I built a CVT (continuously variable transmission) out of legos. It worked.

RPGs

The Linker
2011-02-07, 07:27 PM
I wrote fan fiction when I was 14, detailing Amazing Race as run by Nintendo characters. Beat that.

It's still on DeviantArt, actually. :smalltongue:

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-08, 05:29 AM
Spending over 8 hours continously optimizing my character. Non-stop.
And the result was awesome.

IcarusWings
2011-02-08, 01:48 PM
I don't have much that's really spectacular, but...

Over the course of about 7 years I designed a fictional physics system for people turning into dragons. (And then later telekinesis, teleportation, etc.) It revolves around 4 physical dimensions, and its actually pretty dang resilient. There have been times when I've thought about certain aspects of it and realized that it explained things that I wasn't sure about on its own. Then I started writing stories that use it.

RPGs

This sounds really interesting, what were some of the details and laws and stuff?

dehro
2011-02-08, 02:31 PM

I don't suppose you could PM me your home address, a blueprint of your place and the access code of your alarm system?
I promise I won't break anything..much.

let's see.. I'm not sure I qualify, as a nerd, in that I lack the knowledge, education and obsessive passion for it..and do something totally non nerdish for a living..
that said..
I own a signed copy of "A Feast for Crows" hardcover..for which I paid way too much..(also, the man seems determined to pull a Robert Jordan on us :smallmad:)
I went, months in advance, to buy tickets for the LOTR marathon when the return of the king premiered in Italy..got up ridiculously early and made sure to be there the minute the counter would open.. half expecting to see people camping out for tickets..only to be told I was nuts and I was the first one to buy the tickets (on the plus side, I got the 3 best seats and it was epic)
I own a D100, and have spent many an international toy fair (in nurnberg) drooling over semiprecious stone dice sets.
Spent many a reunion with friends talking about italian style online-RPG (don't ask, it's complicated)..in fact I organized one or two such reunions for precisely that purpose.

went and quoted a webcomic in a totally non nerdish forum, to find out nobody "got it"..
I laugh at most TBBT nerdy jokes..

heck..maybe I am a nerd after all..

edit: I forgot, I like to write gaming settings and worlds..and go into quite some detail..for funsies..except I rarely ever put them to use (or indeed finish them)

One Tin Soldier
2011-02-08, 09:39 PM
This sounds really interesting, what were some of the details and laws and stuff?

Ok, I will do my best to explain. I think I'll spoiler it, since it is sure to be long. (Which is why I didn't give the details to start, didn't want to bore people unless they were interested :smallamused:)
So it basically started with me thinking about how a person could transform into a creature much larger than themselves, and still be able to keep clothing and whatnot, while still fitting into something vaguely resembling actual physics. What I came up with was that the human form and the dragon form were just two parts of the same 4-dimensional object. I think of it like this: consider a 2-d world on a piece of paper, with a coin sitting on it. To the inhabitants of the 2-d world, they would see a 2-d object, the face of the coin that touches the paper. Flip the coin over, and suddenly its a completely different 2-d object to them. Just bump the dimensions up, and you have the general idea.
For the whole clothing thing, I figured that basically anything within a certain small radius of any part of their body would "stick" to them as they switch back and forth. I figured that this would be small, about an inch and a half at most, so they wouldn't be taking huge chunks out of things when they change (though this also means heavy coats and backpacks and such would get ruined). There wasn't any really sciency reason for this to happen, I just wanted it to work that way. Also, I decided that whenever they shifted they would get surrounded by this fog/mist/3-d shadow/thing, for avoiding the issue of OH GOD THINGS DON'T LOOK LIKE THAT FLAHNGOG HGOGHN CTHULU *BLAAAAARGH*

Yeah.

Anyway, I later determined that the two bodies, and the brains in each one, had a constant link, to the point where they functioned as one. This led to some interesting corollaries. Having access to two brains, dragons are likely to be above average humans in intelligence. (Though not amazingly so, since the draconic brain is still set up very differently from the human brain.) This will mean that dragons may have slightly different mannerisms and place less emphasis on facial expressions. But it would be only mild, since they were raised in human society and the human brain is the dominant one. Also, they can be "turned on" by hawt lizards. In either form.
Dragons first manifest their ability to turn into their draconic forms somewhere around late puberty. Their first change or two will probably be involuntary, but they will quickly gain control over it. (Unless for some reason they are horrifically traumatized by the change, and thus don't make the proper efforts to control it. It is possible that they might get "stuck" in draconic form. This was common in the middle ages, especially with members of the peasant/low classes, since it would be highly associated with demonic forces, creating a stigma in the dragon's own mind. More on that later, if you are interested.) The "field" around them when they change will start off very small, and then grow as they become more used to changing.
I still haven't figured out exactly how the draconic form would be growing during this time, much less how its muscles wouldn't be atrophied beyond belief, but most likely it would have a lot to do with the dragons being really big eaters during their childhood/early teens. In fact, one of the reasons for the change to start would probably be the fact that the draconic body would have grown too big for the human body to support, and they have to start doing actual hunting in their draconic body.
Being a dragon is passed on genetically. I think of it as a whole mess of mostly recessive genes, all of which must be in combination to activate. As such, only a combination of two dragon parents would give a really good chance of dragon kids. However, dragons can come from non-dragon parents, if the right genes are there. (More common than it sounds, since these genes appear through a rather large portion of humanity. Still extremely rare, though.) Because of this, dragons are few and far between. If you looked hard enough, you might find about 2, maybe 3 non-related dragons in the entire population of New York. (Dragon bloodlines will obviously screw with this.) Though its unlikely that a dragon would choose to live in New York, since it would make hunting quite problematic.

I think I've given just about everything on the dragons (wow, that's long) so I'll move on to other powers. Starting with telekinesis.
A telekinetic has an extradimensional extension of him/herself that can "reach" around 3-d space and apply force to other objects in the same plane. (Obviously works a bit differently than the dragon) You can think of it as covering it like a blanket, since a 4-d object isn't something you can really picture. (aka I'm not sure myself) It also involves a tactile response, and a telekinetic can use this like a sonar if they focus on it. It can also examine the interior of objects, but not things like color or writing.
The strength of a telekinetic is affected by range. As a rule of thumb, the maximum effective range of telekinesis and "tele vision" is about 15 or 20 yards, and is most effective within 5 yards.
When a telekinetic applies a force to another object, he/she is affected normally by the Newtonian laws of physics, particularly the Third Law, except the force is treated as though it were being applied by/at their center of mass. So if they push an object straight down, they will experience a force straight upwards.
A telekinetic's strength is determined only by how much they "exercise," but it would generally not be more than a person could normally move.

Ok, those two are my most thought-out ones. I'll wrap up quickly.
A person can teleport by basically jumping 4-dimensionally. To use the paper analogy again, it would be like a bug jumping from one spot to another. Teleportation has a pretty short range, probably 50 yards max for someone who's worked for years improving their distance.
A third power, one that's not usually a superpower in fiction, is the ability to "store" things extradimensionally. Basically, they have their own personal bag of holding. They will usually have to come into physical contact with the object to store it, but they can determine just how much they want to store. for example, they could take in something as big as a large suitcase if they wanted to, but they can also take a single leaf from a tree. They can also choose to take only part of an object, as long as they are touching that part. This will leave a precise, clean cut on the object.

Hope that satisfied you :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Almost forgot, here's the link to the story written for this/that I wrote this for. http://ireallydontdraw.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2u87nm Only if you're interested, of course.

IcarusWings
2011-02-09, 12:22 PM
Ok, I will do my best to explain. I think I'll spoiler it, since it is sure to be long. (Which is why I didn't give the details to start, didn't want to bore people unless they were interested :smallamused:)
So it basically started with me thinking about how a person could transform into a creature much larger than themselves, and still be able to keep clothing and whatnot, while still fitting into something vaguely resembling actual physics. What I came up with was that the human form and the dragon form were just two parts of the same 4-dimensional object. I think of it like this: consider a 2-d world on a piece of paper, with a coin sitting on it. To the inhabitants of the 2-d world, they would see a 2-d object, the face of the coin that touches the paper. Flip the coin over, and suddenly its a completely different 2-d object to them. Just bump the dimensions up, and you have the general idea.
For the whole clothing thing, I figured that basically anything within a certain small radius of any part of their body would "stick" to them as they switch back and forth. I figured that this would be small, about an inch and a half at most, so they wouldn't be taking huge chunks out of things when they change (though this also means heavy coats and backpacks and such would get ruined). There wasn't any really sciency reason for this to happen, I just wanted it to work that way. Also, I decided that whenever they shifted they would get surrounded by this fog/mist/3-d shadow/thing, for avoiding the issue of OH GOD THINGS DON'T LOOK LIKE THAT FLAHNGOG HGOGHN CTHULU *BLAAAAARGH*

Yeah.

Anyway, I later determined that the two bodies, and the brains in each one, had a constant link, to the point where they functioned as one. This led to some interesting corollaries. Having access to two brains, dragons are likely to be above average humans in intelligence. (Though not amazingly so, since the draconic brain is still set up very differently from the human brain.) This will mean that dragons may have slightly different mannerisms and place less emphasis on facial expressions. But it would be only mild, since they were raised in human society and the human brain is the dominant one. Also, they can be "turned on" by hawt lizards. In either form.
Dragons first manifest their ability to turn into their draconic forms somewhere around late puberty. Their first change or two will probably be involuntary, but they will quickly gain control over it. (Unless for some reason they are horrifically traumatized by the change, and thus don't make the proper efforts to control it. It is possible that they might get "stuck" in draconic form. This was common in the middle ages, especially with members of the peasant/low classes, since it would be highly associated with demonic forces, creating a stigma in the dragon's own mind. More on that later, if you are interested.) The "field" around them when they change will start off very small, and then grow as they become more used to changing.
I still haven't figured out exactly how the draconic form would be growing during this time, much less how its muscles wouldn't be atrophied beyond belief, but most likely it would have a lot to do with the dragons being really big eaters during their childhood/early teens. In fact, one of the reasons for the change to start would probably be the fact that the draconic body would have grown too big for the human body to support, and they have to start doing actual hunting in their draconic body.
Being a dragon is passed on genetically. I think of it as a whole mess of mostly recessive genes, all of which must be in combination to activate. As such, only a combination of two dragon parents would give a really good chance of dragon kids. However, dragons can come from non-dragon parents, if the right genes are there. (More common than it sounds, since these genes appear through a rather large portion of humanity. Still extremely rare, though.) Because of this, dragons are few and far between. If you looked hard enough, you might find about 2, maybe 3 non-related dragons in the entire population of New York. (Dragon bloodlines will obviously screw with this.) Though its unlikely that a dragon would choose to live in New York, since it would make hunting quite problematic.

I think I've given just about everything on the dragons (wow, that's long) so I'll move on to other powers. Starting with telekinesis.
A telekinetic has an extradimensional extension of him/herself that can "reach" around 3-d space and apply force to other objects in the same plane. (Obviously works a bit differently than the dragon) You can think of it as covering it like a blanket, since a 4-d object isn't something you can really picture. (aka I'm not sure myself) It also involves a tactile response, and a telekinetic can use this like a sonar if they focus on it. It can also examine the interior of objects, but not things like color or writing.
The strength of a telekinetic is affected by range. As a rule of thumb, the maximum effective range of telekinesis and "tele vision" is about 15 or 20 yards, and is most effective within 5 yards.
When a telekinetic applies a force to another object, he/she is affected normally by the Newtonian laws of physics, particularly the Third Law, except the force is treated as though it were being applied by/at their center of mass. So if they push an object straight down, they will experience a force straight upwards.
A telekinetic's strength is determined only by how much they "exercise," but it would generally not be more than a person could normally move.

Ok, those two are my most thought-out ones. I'll wrap up quickly.
A person can teleport by basically jumping 4-dimensionally. To use the paper analogy again, it would be like a bug jumping from one spot to another. Teleportation has a pretty short range, probably 50 yards max for someone who's worked for years improving their distance.
A third power, one that's not usually a superpower in fiction, is the ability to "store" things extradimensionally. Basically, they have their own personal bag of holding. They will usually have to come into physical contact with the object to store it, but they can determine just how much they want to store. for example, they could take in something as big as a large suitcase if they wanted to, but they can also take a single leaf from a tree. They can also choose to take only part of an object, as long as they are touching that part. This will leave a precise, clean cut on the object.

Hope that satisfied you :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Almost forgot, here's the link to the story written for this/that I wrote this for. http://ireallydontdraw.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2u87nm Only if you're interested, of course.

That's very interesting. So they basically have powers where they can exist in/manipulate another dimension and all that entails? That's pretty cool, plus the story seems really good as well (only read the first chapter so far) :smallbiggrin:

Cogidubnus
2011-02-09, 12:32 PM
Nerdiest thing I've ever done? Not thought building your own computer was nerdy until I read this thread.

valadil
2011-02-09, 12:40 PM
I wrote a syntax highlighter for vim (which is a linux text editor) so that the 4e compendium would look more like code to me. Then I wrote a perl script to generate a pdf from downloaded 4e files so I could print them with the same highlighting. Oh and I blogged about it (http://gm.sagotsky.com/?p=198#more-198) (with pics) , but that's not quite as geeky as the rest.

Thorcrest
2011-02-09, 02:00 PM
Hmmm, might be small fries compared to what some people here have done, but I'll list a few things anyways.

1. Read the Lord of the Rings when I was 7

2. Read the Wheel of Time when I was 8

3. Refuse to take any math related courses in University since I could no longer take how incapable it seemed people were when you took away their calculators :smallfurious: (Not that I have room to take those classes what with having a double major and all :smalltongue:)

4. I guess having a Double Major might be considered nerdy... :smalltongue:

5. Completing several History tests in twenty minutes despite that fact that they are meant to take well over an hour and still get top marks.

6. Spent physics class in High School discussing the implications and possiblities of infinites in both matter and space, as well as time, over the course of the semester rather than actually listen or do any of the work in the class, yet I was still the one that would answer questions when the teacher asked the class for an answer.

7. Created my own World for a DnD game (admitedly much of it is not written down since I suffer from extreme laziness!), which, for instance, included a timeline of the Dwarven Kingdom that covered the entirety of all major events that had happened to them since creation.

8. I am writing a book that contains my arguments and beliefs on numerous political and philosophical matters (Subject matter cannot be discussed on this Forum).

9. I am working on my own Homebrew RPG which is found in my signature.

10. Have had several hundred discussions on theoretical history (i.e. What if? History).

11. Enjoy confusing people by presenting them with basic Sceptical Philosophy...

12. Often corrected my teachers throughout my school years, starting by the time I was around 6... how is it possible that a teacher can even be corrected by a 6 year old?

There's more, but it all pretty much revolves around these things or things that others have mentionned, so it would be repetitive.

One Tin Soldier
2011-02-09, 02:05 PM
That's very interesting. So they basically have powers where they can exist in/manipulate another dimension and all that entails? That's pretty cool, plus the story seems really good as well (only read the first chapter so far) :smallbiggrin:

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. :smallbiggrin:

Partof1
2011-02-09, 04:12 PM
Wow, I guess I really am not that big a nerd.

I get pretty solid marks in school with little studying, I know altogether too much about Star Wars and pokemon, though I've yet to see LotR, and dislike Star Trek. I have a darth Vader and a Yoda bobblehead on my computer desk, as well as a Luigi figurine.

So, yeah.

Lex-Kat
2011-02-10, 10:44 PM
Well, not sure which is my most geek/nerd moment, or even what the difference between geek and nerd is, honestly. But here are some:

I'm creating a spreadsheet for every 3.5 D & D spell that are contained in the books I own, or have borrowed from my RL friends.But the best thing is why I'm creating this. For no reason other than I was bored.

Watched the entire Extended Edition of Lord of the Rings, and then watched them again with the Actors commentary on.

Joined Facebook. :smallyuk: Much to my shame. :smallsigh:

Went to GenCon for the sole purpose of getting Traci Lords' autograph on her CD. Yes, she put a CD out. And yes, I own it.

While there, got Herb Jefferson Jr.'s autographed picture. Who's he? He's Lt. Boomer from the original Battlestar Galactica.

Went to GenCon in `08 to meet people I had met online.

Honestly, I'm not geeky/nerdy enough to be in the company of any of you. It's a scary feeling.

Silviya
2011-02-13, 11:15 PM
The nerdiest/geekiest thing I've ever done was probably going to a two week camp for speculative fiction writers last summer. It was also the most awesome thing I ever did. Basically, there were thirty people (twenty students, ten staff) who were all complete geeks/nerds, who were suddenly surrounded by other complete geeks/nerds. There were also a few fairly well published authors there. Much geekyness and nerdyness ensued. Some examples:

--Staying up until 3:00 a.m. talking about what tropes we found most annoying (we started talking at around 10:30 . . . . .)

--Talking to Timothy Zhan about Star Trek (Tim Zhan was one of the fairly well published authors there).

--Talking to Tamora Peirce about Lord of the Rings (Tammy was another of the authors that was there).

--The entire group created a collaborative fantasy world.

--The entire group created a detailed outline for a story.

--Many, many other very geeky/nerdy things that happen when you put 30 geeks/nerds in the same place for two weeks, but that I can't remember all the detail of at this moment.

A few somewhat geeky/nerdy things I've done outside of that camp:

--I've won NaNoWriMo twice. The first time I was going for the normal 50,000 words. The second time I was going for 75,000 words.

--I created a really, really huge fantasy world that I base most of my stories and RPGs in. It's still not compleatly done, and I've been working on it for abotu two and a half years.

yilduz
2011-02-13, 11:33 PM
Are you ready for this?

I met the woman, who is now my wife, in a Dungeons and Dragons forum.

Do I win?

Incomp
2011-02-13, 11:40 PM
Oh wow.

So, I thought I was pretty nerdy, at least for a country kid.

Then I see all this stuff, and it is glorious.

Anyway, probably the nerdiest thing I can recall is that I'm currently writing Warhammer 40k fan fiction for a high school class. It's my favorite class, by the way.

Zaydos
2011-02-13, 11:55 PM
Figured out the probabilities of Shadows Hunters and made it into histograms on excel.

Made a histogram of my M:tG deck for lols.

Wrote two pokemon fanfics that were novel + length before I stopped out of writer's block and oooh shiny

Made more dragons for 3.5 than WotC and official 3rd party sources combined.

Wrote a 20 page newsletter for my D&D setting every 2 to 4 weeks for months. Totaled up gave me about 300 pages of rules and fluff for one setting, not counting the stuff I never bothered to write down like most of the history of the Pnakostic Empire.

Wrote a 10 page backstory for a character which included a list of his favorite things including his favorite letter... in Slaad (okay it was his favorite letter in any language). Also described every single piece of equipment he had, and the visual effects of every spell in his spellbook.

Did nanowrimo using aforementioned character as the main character.

Wrote a paper on Norse influences in Pre-Tolkien Fantasy (it was for class; I finished it in 2 days when we had a month, and when I didn't even have a partner yet; and then had to cut it down because it was longer than my half was allowed to be).

Seen how many names of Gandalf I could slip past my players (all avowed Tolkien lovers) without them noticing (the answer 3 in 30 seconds off the top of my head without risking Mithrandir). Okay that's the geekiest thing I did Friday... I think.

Except for one of these it was just for fun/to escape boredom (the school paper was just for fun).

KuReshtin
2011-02-14, 10:45 AM
Does it count if you have used a laptop and a projector to have a 2.5mx1.5m projection of the dungeon on the wall of the room you're playing in.
Actually, at one point, we had three laptops connected, using MapTools to sort out who did what, went where and had what conditions.

it usually works out pretty well, as long as you only have one person moving the avatars at one point. :smallbiggrin:

Hazzardevil
2011-02-14, 12:11 PM
Well, not sure which is my most geek/nerd moment, or even what the difference between geek and nerd is, honestly. But here are some:

Allow me to enlighten you, a geek is obbsesive over something, a nerd is just usally smarter and apreciates things like strategy games and chess. I don't have a problem with someone calling me a nerd, chances are if you're on this forum you are a nerd, don''t be offended, I'm one too.

The nerdiest thing I have ever done is explained to someone how to play Dnd and having learnt the rules from DDo and OotS.

The Linker
2011-02-14, 04:21 PM
I think high up on this list is arguing over the definitions of Geek and Nerd (http://xkcd.com/747/). :smalltongue: Everyone has a different definition. I go with xkcd's, simply because that's been the most authoritative voice on the matter I've seen.

Teutonic Knight
2011-02-15, 12:26 AM
I actually just did something nerdy in French today. The teacher made us make Valentine's Day cards with a kind of Mad Libs-esque love note. The template started out the sentence, and we were supposed to fill it in with something. I saw a sticker with a small heart inside of a bigger heart and knew what I had to do.

I have written it in it's original French. The underlined bit is what I added. The translated version is below.

Mon héro en vert,
Je pense à toi quand la monde est en danger, et je me sens sage. Je voudrais appeler pour votre aide. Ta fée me dit “Dis! Écoutez!” et ton silence me rappelle que ta visites dans mon jardin. Tu es courageux. Avec toi, ma vie est comme dans une histoire. Sans toi, elle serait comme dans une rêve. Quand tu reviendras, je vais être capturé. J’espère de tirer des flèches de lumière.
Ta princesse qui te donne une pièce de coeur.

My hero in green,
I think of you when the world is in danger, and I feel wise. I would like to call for your help. Your fairy said "Hey! Listen!" and your silence reminds me of your visits to my garden. You're courageous. With you, my life is like in a story. Without you, it would be like a dream. When you come back, I will be captured. I hope to shoot arrows of light.
Your princess who gives you a piece of heart.

My only fellow French class Nintendo loving friend, needless to say, lol'd.

Zaydos
2011-02-15, 12:28 AM
My Japanese teachers learned that apparently if you asked what happened to me it often involved Gojira eating me... and I used to know whether I should say I drove or rode a Gundam (it depends on circumstances).

Amblehook
2011-02-15, 12:49 AM
I've only been accomplishing truly nerdy feats for the past few years. And though my nerddom is far out-shined by others on this thread, I'm still proud of my accomplishments. Here are but a few:

In high school, I took four years of Latin. I have medals upon medals of state and national achievements from those days.

I have spent the past two years designing a D&D campaign setting and will be working on formatting it into a PDF when it's finished. Just for personal use.

I have created several programs to aid in the creation of many things D&D related... not because they don't exist elsewhere, but because I didn't care for their formatting.

I am creating a few digital artworks of characters I've played throughout the years.

My friends and I are debating the theory of gravity on Facebook (not so much how gravity affects Facebook).

I have a quantum physics background on my desktop.

The Linker
2011-02-15, 03:49 AM
I actually just did something nerdy in French today. The teacher made us make Valentine's Day cards with a kind of Mad Libs-esque love note. The template started out the sentence, and we were supposed to fill it in with something. I saw a sticker with a small heart inside of a bigger heart and knew what I had to do.

I have written it in it's original French. The underlined bit is what I added. The translated version is below.

Mon héro en vert,
Je pense à toi quand la monde est en danger, et je me sens sage. Je voudrais appeler pour votre aide. Ta fée me dit “Dis! Écoutez!” et ton silence me rappelle que ta visites dans mon jardin. Tu es courageux. Avec toi, ma vie est comme dans une histoire. Sans toi, elle serait comme dans une rêve. Quand tu reviendras, je vais être capturé. J’espère de tirer des flèches de lumière.
Ta princesse qui te donne une pièce de coeur.

My hero in green,
I think of you when the world is in danger, and I feel wise. I would like to call for your help. Your fairy said "Hey! Listen!" and your silence reminds me of your visits to my garden. You're courageous. With you, my life is like in a story. Without you, it would be like a dream. When you come back, I will be captured. I hope to shoot arrows of light.
Your princess who gives you a piece of heart.

My only fellow French class Nintendo loving friend, needless to say, lol'd.

I lived in Quebec for the first twelve years of my life, despite growing up English, and continued to take French for three years of high school. I dropped it in my final year, because I remained terrible and really by that point I wasn't going to get anywhere.

But I retained enough to realize who this letter was to, pre-translation, and so it was all worth it.

unosarta
2011-02-15, 07:48 AM
My Japanese teachers learned that apparently if you asked what happened to me it often involved Gojira eating me... and I used to know whether I should say I drove or rode a Gundam (it depends on circumstances).

For my Chinese class, we were supposed to write an essay about walking in the park, seeing a friend, and then going to the mall.

Yeah.

Halfway through their way to the mall, the protagonists fought a horde of zombies. They ran to the mall, but were eaten by yet more zombies.

I also got my teacher to tell me how to write zombie in Chinese. Best. Assignment. Ever.