PDA

View Full Version : Um, so- um... BoEF question?

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-01, 12:10 AM
Sooo, in a play-by-post game, one of the players has asked my out of game permission to use a "Grope" spell on my character. Can anyone tell me what the spell does exactly, or if there's an online resource that contains information from the book?

Mando Knight
2011-02-01, 12:11 AM
Smite the player for suggesting use of BoEF?

Rolaran
2011-02-01, 12:18 AM
Sooo, in a play-by-post game, one of the players has asked my out of game permission to use a "Grope" spell on my character. Can anyone tell me what the spell does exactly, or if there's an online resource that contains information from the book?

...Remind me to do penance afterward for knowing this offhand. Suffice to say I had a previous DM who thought this book was hilarious, and we saw a fair bit of material from the BoEF once he got a hold of a copy.

IIRC, it's pretty much just the "Mage Hand" spell, with the addition of feedback (so you feel the texture of whatever you're manipulating). Used... for the purpose the name would imply.

I don't know anything about your group, but I advise a massive dose of caution. If there's any chance the target, or any of the other players will take offense to this, don't let it happen. I've seen a group break up because some players were being pervy enough to make other players uncomfortable. It's not a pretty sight.

Waker
2011-02-01, 12:21 AM
Well, I'll just repost the description.
"This variation of the mage hand spell lets you "feel" a creature from a distance as if you were actually touching it. The creature feels a sensation as if being lightly groped or caressed on their bare skin by a hand, while the caster experiences the sensation as if he were physically touching the target. The caster does not actually touch the target and does not gain the benefit of any spell, effect or attack that relies on touch. Grope cannot be used to deal damage or to push the target in any way.
As long as they are targeted by this spell, the target of grope suffers a -2 penalty on any concentration checks during the duration of the spell."

Few books can be used to derail a game which such ease as this one.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-01, 12:36 AM
...Remind me to do penance afterward for knowing this offhand. Suffice to say I had a previous DM who thought this book was hilarious, and we saw a fair bit of material from the BoEF once he got a hold of a copy.

IIRC, it's pretty much just the "Mage Hand" spell, with the addition of feedback (so you feel the texture of whatever you're manipulating). Used... for the purpose the name would imply.

I don't know anything about your group, but I advise a massive dose of caution. If there's any chance the target, or any of the other players will take offense to this, don't let it happen. I've seen a group break up because some players were being pervy enough to make other players uncomfortable. It's not a pretty sight.

Heh, that's about what I figured it was :smallsigh:.

Seeing as how it's a play-by-post game I don't really know the other players... Personally I guess I'm okay with it (though my character would be :smallfurious:, :smalltongue:). I suppose I should make sure he's asked the DM and the other players before giving my own permission...

SiuiS
2011-02-01, 01:08 AM
Heh, that's about what I figured it was :smallsigh:.
I suppose I should make sure he's asked the DM and the other players before giving my own permission...

That would be wise. If the game has run at PG the whole while, ramping up to R (or even PG-13) can be a disaster. Or it could be fun for everyone all around, who knows?

... I feel weird for that last part. I don't know if it's because of, or despite, the context.

Jothki
2011-02-01, 01:25 AM
Seems like it'd be handy for surgery or the like.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-01, 01:40 AM
Get off the forum, Dr. Nick. Seriously, how in Brando's name does this sound like it would be useful for surgery?
:smalleek:

term1nally s1ck
2011-02-01, 02:23 AM

*booooooooos*

SiuiS
2011-02-01, 02:41 AM
Easy. Sanitary palpation of tissues. Or for a less invasive "turn your head and cough".

Had a necromancer surgeon do something similar. DMG 2 has a gauntlet of ghost touch that let's you ghost through things, then partially solidify inside the object (it gives an example of a thief using it for picking locks) for a nifty bonus on touch-sensitive things.
Of course, I had an undead graft based off of one of the Deegan brothers from Dominic deign instead, but yeah.

Heliomance
2011-02-01, 03:57 AM
Aye, it doesn't have to be used for groping. Tactile feedback on Mage Hand could be incredibly useful.