PDA

View Full Version : What Feat does this?

quiet1mi
2011-02-01, 11:56 AM
What feat allows you to re-roll all 1s that show up for damage... I am planning to build an Halfling unarmed crusader that can literally punch out the BBEG

Triskavanski
2011-02-01, 11:57 AM
what edition?

Try looking at the luck feats in complete scoundrel if 3.5.. In 4e there is quite a few of them.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-01, 11:59 AM
What feat allows you to re-roll all 1s that show up for damage... I am planning to build an Halfling unarmed crusader that can literally punch out the BBEG

I thought it was Chaotic Stance, though that might be the one to add another die of damage to a roll that rolls max. I recommend you bring a helmet for the Tome of Battle that will most certainly be thrown at your face.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-01, 12:00 PM
You want to actually play a 1d2 Crusader in a game? Shame on you, good sir, shame on you.

quiet1mi
2011-02-01, 12:00 PM
Yes 3.5...

quiet1mi
2011-02-01, 12:01 PM
You want to actually play a 1d2 Crusader in a game? Shame on you, good sir, shame on you.

It was more of a Munchkin/joke game...

The Glyphstone
2011-02-01, 12:01 PM
It was more of a Munchkin/joke game...

Ah. In that case, go ahead, but beware the Plutonium Dragon...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-02-01, 12:03 PM

Don't. The build is well known, and no self-respecting DM would ever allow it at a table. If you try anyway, expect to be instantly shot down, and possibly beaten with the DMG. Even in a munchkin/joke game, infinite damage that can't be avoided isn't smiled upon. Alternatively, by RAW, with this combo you can never stop rolling dice, and thus can never actually deal your infinite damage.

That said, the feat is the Imbued Healing feat, and requires that you be a Cleric with the Luck domain.

Jarian
2011-02-01, 12:06 PM
Alternatively, by RAW, with this combo you can never stop rolling dice, and thus can never actually deal your infinite damage.

Technically Aura of Chaos says that you can continue to reroll the dice as long as max damage keeps showing up, not that you have to.

Not that I'm defending a 1d2 Crusader, just... yeah.

Tavar
2011-02-01, 12:06 PM
Really? I mean, you understand what you're asking for? The 1d2 crusader?

That's like bringing Pun-Pun to a game. It's possible, but it's bad form. Seriously, if a player did that to my game, without explicit permission from me, he's never play with me again.

If you insist on doing this, you need to have a weapon that deals 1d2 damage, the aura of chaos ability, and the...I think it's the luck feat from Comp Scoundrel. You expend a healing spell, and any time you roll a 1, it counts as rolling a two. Aura of chaos says you get to roll an additional damage dice whenever you roll max damage.

The main problem is; does the luck feat make it as if you rolled a 2, thus activating max damage clauses, or does it increase the 1 to a two, which would not.

Necroticplague
2011-02-01, 12:54 PM
If you could become small enough that your unarmed damage becomes just "1", would this still work?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-02-01, 12:58 PM
If you could become small enough that your unarmed damage becomes just "1", would this still work?

Nope. No dice are being rolled, and thus you never actually roll the maximum.

Jarian
2011-02-01, 12:59 PM

Nope. There's no die roll involved in that, meaning neither the stance nor the feat come into play.

Bloody swordsages.

Greenish
2011-02-01, 01:01 PM
Nope. No dice are being rolled, and thus you never actually roll the maximum.I'm pretty sure you can find a d1 if you search hard enough. :smalltongue:

Reynard
2011-02-01, 01:05 PM
I'm pretty sure you can find a d1 if you search hard enough. :smalltongue:

Maybe they look a little something like this:

http://legendsrevealed.com/entertainment/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/marbles.jpg

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-02-01, 01:06 PM
I'm pretty sure you can find a d1 if you search hard enough. :smalltongue:

While such a thing might exist (and would be hilarious), the thing is that the weapon size rules don't go down to a 1d1. They go, in reverse order, 1d4, 1d3, 1d2, 1. Not 1d1. The distinction is important.

Also, now I want a marble with a big number 1 suspended inside it. :smallbiggrin:

Person_Man
2011-02-01, 01:47 PM
Deadly Precision (Expanded Psionics Handbook) lets you reroll 1's on Sneak Attack dice. Not much help to a Crusader though.

Also, I feel compelled to mention that if played "honestly" reroll effects tend to have very little impact on average damage. If played "dishonestly" with some sort of infinite damage combo, then it's meaningless because no game can reasonably accommodate a character that can deal infinite damage.

If you're looking for high unarmed damage, this is the list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777) that compiles all of the ways you can improve it. Most of them involve being as big as possible, and increasing your effective Monk level (with as few levels of actual Monk as possible).

Zherog
2011-02-01, 03:06 PM
If you insist on doing this, you need to have a weapon that deals 1d2 damage, the aura of chaos ability, and the...I think it's the luck feat from Comp Scoundrel. You expend a healing spell, and any time you roll a 1, it counts as rolling a two. Aura of chaos says you get to roll an additional damage dice whenever you roll max damage.

I'm not familiar with this particular one - somehow. Could you (or somebody else) provide a little more info, including which books I can find the various components in?

Jarian
2011-02-01, 03:07 PM
I'm not familiar with this particular one - somehow. Could you (or somebody else) provide a little more info, including which books I can find the various components in?

Aura of Chaos is a Crusader (Tome of Battle) stance, which allows you to reroll any maximum damage dice and add them to your total damage dealt.

Imbued Healing (Luck) (Complete Champion) is a feat which allows you to treat any 1s you roll as a 2 instead.

Combine with a weapon that does 1d2 damage, and kaboom.

I wonder if this ever happened accidentally, say to somebody trying to play a halfling RKV or something.

"Oh, I don't have any weapons handy? No problem, I'll just smack them in the face with my gauntlet!"

"Oh, sad, minimum damage. Oh wait, I have that Imbued Healing feat! And I'm in the Aura of Chaos Stance! Nice!

*ten rerolls later*

...wait a minute."

Zherog
2011-02-01, 03:48 PM
Thanks, Jarian. Appreciate the explanation.

Runestar
2011-02-01, 04:57 PM
Nope. There's no die roll involved in that, meaning neither the stance nor the feat come into play.

Bloody swordsages.

Why can't I take a 6-sided dice, paint all its sides one, then roll as per normal? :smalltongue:

Tavar
2011-02-01, 05:00 PM
Nothing's stoping you from doing that, any more than the game stops you from, say, making a die that reads 4 on every side and rolling that when your Str 16 character attacks with a two handed weapons. But that's not what the game is asking you to do, and it wouldn't trigger effects that require rolls.