PDA

View Full Version : Creating a level 10 Artificer (3.5)

Tyger
2011-02-01, 12:35 PM
Is there any character more confusing to make a higher level model of than the artificer? Computing the items that could be crafted at the various levels, accounting for the fact that not every attempt would be guaranteed success, managing gold and time... sheesh!

Does anyone have any tips for smoothing this process?

sonofzeal
2011-02-01, 12:42 PM
1) Pool craft reserver. It's not RAW, but it gets you there for a lot less effort, and the result should be pretty much the same.

2) Assume success. If you're properly UMD-focussed, you shouldn't be failing in most cases. The craft system for Artificers is forgiving enough that it's usually just a question of time.

3) Efficient bookkeeping. GP and XP spent are both determined by magic item value, and it should be the same ration for every item, so don't track both separately. Have your total GP in one place, your total XP in another, and your Craft reserve in a third. Make your wishlist of items with their base market value, and add all those up. Apply your GP/XP ratios to that, and hey presto you're done.

gorfnab
2011-02-01, 02:25 PM
Read through the Artificers Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0), specifically the parts about crafting under class abilities. Also get yourself a Dedicated Wright as soon as possible.

Tyger
2011-02-01, 02:51 PM
Read through the Artificers Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0), specifically the parts about crafting under class abilities. Also get yourself a Dedicated Wright as soon as possible.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Some darned good advice there, and yes, the Dedicated Wright in a Portable Hole will be a large part of the allure for this character.

Aharon
2011-02-01, 03:19 PM
@sonofzeal
Pooling the Craft Reserve actually boosts the power of the Artificer considerably, in my opinion.

Your reserve is effectively multiplied due to the xp-reducing artisan feat, which you might not take at the first level, depending on wether flaws are allowed or not.
You can use your reserve on stuff you couldn't have crafted on early levels (Wands come online at 6th, for example).

I think it is manageable, but boring to advance your character level-by-level. It took me about 8 hours for a 7th level Artificer. Craft Reserve actually isn't that big of a problem, because you'll spend real xp on most of your stuff anyway.

I agree to sonofzeal's other advice, though. And I feel compelled to point out the Concurrent Infusions infusion (Magic of Eberron, 4th level). My artificer didn't craft that much - this wonderful infusion gives you almost all the wands you need :smallsmile: