PDA

View Full Version : What is it about the playground that makes it more than just a forum to you?

Pika...
2011-02-01, 01:22 PM
Basically what makes the playground YOUR playground?

I came here originally for help with D&D, but fell in love with the place and the people. It has also become a way for me to blow of stress regularly, which is nice. Sure I mostly still hang out in the Roleplay/Homebrew area, but I touch on others as well.

What about you all?

Traab
2011-02-01, 01:35 PM
I came here because there was one oots comic that I HAD to compliment the author on. Id always loved the comic, but that one was just plain awesome. Then I saw all the other forums here and decided to check them out. Im stuck at home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I need something interesting to pass my time with. Ive got a half dozen games I can play, Astro empires, my fanfiction, and a few message boards. This site is a decent way to kill some time and stave off boredom.

Cealocanth
2011-02-01, 04:56 PM
I came here on a day I was sick, and I decided that to pass the time I would catch up on OOTS from the end of Paladin Blues. One thing led to another and I ended up clicking the forum button. I got into avatarism and then fell in love with the playground community. I haven't left since.

MoonCat
2011-02-01, 05:09 PM
I came to OoTS after my brother made a deal with me (I didn't want to). I'd get to hit him on the head for every strip I read. After number 50 I forgot about him and didn't stop to hit him between strips. I've read it ever since. I've never been on a forum before this, and was curious. Ghosted around from October to December, then started posting. I am now a full time addict.

Blue Ghost
2011-02-01, 07:46 PM
I love the Playground because it is a tight-knit community where we're all friends and we all love one another. It's hard to get that on the Internet.

Trog
2011-02-01, 07:52 PM
The free burritos.

EDIT: Ok, Seriously? You've never noticed the free build-your-own burrito bar, people? HelLOOO?!! How can you miss it?! It's like.. right next to the the hot tub! :smallconfused:

EDIT2: Seroiusly? How can you miss the hot tub? Trog's beginning to think you people are just not even trying. :smallannoyed:

thubby
2011-02-01, 08:02 PM
what really threw me into the community was the death of the wotc forums. i wasnt a big mtg salv person so i kinda just migrated here.
good people, good topics, and fresh burritos :smallbiggrin:

rayne_dragon
2011-02-01, 08:04 PM
I like the playground because everyone on here is so friendly and supportive of each other. I usually lurk, but lately since I've been avoiding people IRL the playground is a nice place to have come to have my faith restored in human interactions.

Thufir
2011-02-01, 08:04 PM
The people. I recently realised that I care much more about many of the people I met on this forum than most of the people I went to school with, despite the fact I've only met a few of them off the internet.

Moff Chumley
2011-02-01, 08:21 PM
There's a couple of great guys and gals on here, and by and large I like the community, but since I sort of lie outside the standard demographic, per say, I'm not sure I'm on quite the same page as a lot of people. There are other forums where I certainly belong more to the community. That said, GitP's moderation (blessing and a curse, but it certainly makes the place stand out), size, and culture are rather unique, especially in combination.

Sneak
2011-02-01, 08:49 PM
There's a couple of great guys and gals on here, and by and large I like the community, but since I sort of lie outside the standard demographic, per say, I'm not sure I'm on quite the same page as a lot of people. There are other forums where I certainly belong more to the community. That said, GitP's moderation (blessing and a curse, but it certainly makes the place stand out), size, and culture are rather unique, especially in combination.

Pretty much this.

But even though I wouldn't say I'm terribly connected with the GitP community as of now, it'll always have a special place in my heart given that I've been on here since I was 11—almost 6 years now. I spent a good part of my formative years on here, and I had some good times. There's no reason to forget that.

Moff Chumley
2011-02-01, 09:01 PM
A good point. I haven't been around /quite/ as long as Sneak, but GitP certainly shaped a lot of my middle-school/freshman experience when I didn't really have anything else going on, or more than a handful of IRL friends. I mean, I didn't have any GitP friends at that point, but at least people were polite. :smalltongue:

MoonCat
2011-02-01, 09:07 PM
Definitely, after that school issue all my friends vanished. Here is the place I go to if I want to be consoled or congratulated.

RandomNPC
2011-02-02, 11:09 PM
It's like a home away from home. People keep the mean attitudes in check fairly well. The one time I was a dink about something the mods took care of me and there was no flame war about it.
The last time I trusted a message board enough to sign up I was getting death threats and the mods threatened to ban me for complaining about it. The Playground is much better.

You guys are awesome, between stories, advice, and conversation, I think I'll be here for years to come.

Syka
2011-02-02, 11:22 PM
It's one of my two support groups. I love you guys. No, seriously. When something exciting or depressing or anything happens...I come here right after talking about it to my RL family and the couple close friends I have.

I've been on here ever since I graduated high school so about 5.5 years and...it's a second home. Even if I may never meet most of y'all, it's a family here.

And the cookies. The cookies are yummy.

KuReshtin
2011-02-03, 08:04 AM
And the cookies. The cookies are yummy.

Definitely the cookies. Koorli's cookies are really yummy.

I also like that people back each other up, and are always ready to help out or give advice when needed.
And the banter.:smallsmile:

Inhuman Bot
2011-02-03, 09:41 AM
Who says it has to be more then a forum? :colbert:

valadil
2011-02-03, 11:47 AM
Honestly? The restrictive swearing/no politics policies. As much as I'd enjoy a political debate with certain posters, I'd rather have a happy and friendly playground. I've been on a variety of forums over the years and this is the only one that I've been able to stick with because it doesn't devolve into people hating on each other. This is the only site where I can actually let my guard down and really enjoy communicating with people. The few times I have gotten trolled or flamed here it actually hurt because it caught me so off guard.

I hope Roland and company see this message because I think they get way more flak than praise.

grimbold
2011-02-03, 01:16 PM
first i came due to the 'Funny D&D stories thread'
then Oots
and i slowly became more addicted to D&D and i needed somewhere to go
the nice people made me stay

Inhuman Bot
2011-02-06, 01:58 AM
You know, I thought about it a bit more. There's some decent people here, and while there's obviously jerks and such (More then a few people would say that about me to be entirely fair), it's sort of an easy way to just be able to post about a topic and feel like you won't get attacked for it. (Even if it breaks the rules, it'll more likely be quietly slipped away.)

Because of the sort of enviroment that the moderators want to keep around here, it's a place where you can say what you think about a matter. That can't even be said for real life, as people will very possibly give a really negative opinion on something.

Just my 2 cents I guess. :smallcool: