PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Spells

Pard
2011-02-01, 01:47 PM
OK, so I have always been afraid of magic characters because they are just so confusing. Anyways, I am playing a campaign as a tanking cleric. Using this build http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Battle_Priest_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build)

Currently I am level 1 and I have no clue what spells to fix up for the day, and frankly I do not even get how a magic character is any good... I mean even with my wisdom bonus I get to cast 5 level one spells per day and each spell lasts like a round or a minute, how is that any good?

Basically I have the PHB for spells, anything else I have to request.

I can cast 3 level 0 spells, 2+1 level 1 spells, and a 1 bonus spell. My domains are Strength and Metal.

I figure I need to prepare Shield of Faith and Divine Favor and Enlarge Person (as my domain spell)... but I do not know how many of each to prepare and stuff.

Let me amend that, I do not know how a magic user can be good for more than like 1 encounter a day.

Xiander
2011-02-01, 02:30 PM
Let me amend that, I do not know how a magic user can be good for more than like 1 encounter a day.

You are playing a level one caster, you run out of spells quickly. The real power of casters comes forth onmid to high levels, still you are not weak by any means.
The key is to only cast spells when you need them. You can fight just fine without spells, not as well as a dedicated melee character, but enough to have an impact. So do that unless an encounter looks very rough, in which case you boost up with a spell.

Also for the first couple of levels Bless is a better choice than devine favour, as it helps the entire party as much as divine favour helps you.