PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] item for +1 to existing spell class?

KnightlyKnave
2011-02-01, 01:56 PM
I was thinking of making my arch villain a Necromancer/Life Drinker (from the Book of Vile Darkness 3.0) because the prestige class sounds very interesting. I'm tweaking it a bit to be 3.5ish but I still have one problem. It's clearly a class for mages as it has a bunch of metamagic abilities, but it doesn't inherently grant the +1 to existing spell class. So, if I top out at 20th level (I'm reticent to make him epic) that's only 10-12 levels of Wizard and thus only about level 6 spells. This may make the final battle a bit anti-climatic as the PCs have a pure Sorcerer who will be around level 18 or so for the final battle.

Is there any magical item or feat somewhere that allows a mage to continue to advance in spell level even when their new class does not allow it?

Frog Dragon
2011-02-01, 02:06 PM
You're the GM. Grant the class spellcasting progression. The class isn't very good (like any spellcaster class which doesn't advance spellcasting), so it should be fine.

Edit: I can be almost 100% certain that such a feat or item does not exist in any of the official products, and probably not in third party either.

Studoku
2011-02-01, 02:17 PM
Closest I can think of is Practiced Spellcaster, but that only increases caster level.

You could just rule that he has the caster levels anyway. He's your big bad.

Velaryon
2011-02-01, 02:22 PM
If there were such an item, it would have to be an artifact, probably a major artifact if it gave him as many levels of casting as he loses from the prestige class.

As others have said, it's not an overpowered class anyway; why not just give it full casting progression in this one instance?

KnightlyKnave
2011-02-01, 02:41 PM
lol

Yes I know I can do whatever I want. I just like to play by the rules as closely as I can if possible.

But if there's no other option I'll just bend the universe to my will :smallbiggrin: It's not like the PCs would use the class anyway as it's vampire specific.

Thanks for the advice.

Cog
2011-02-01, 04:06 PM
I can think of a single ability that adds to total caster level. Kobold sorcerers have a particular ritual they can perform, with two feats required: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-02-01, 04:09 PM
Why not have the BBEG be a gestalt character?

Runestar
2011-02-01, 05:20 PM
Since life-drinker doesn't advance spellcasting, I suppose a case could be made to count it as non-associated if used in tandem with a caster (I am not familiar with the prc, so I assume you know what you are doing).

So perhaps a wiz16/life drinker10 could be cr21?

Aemoh87
2011-02-01, 05:21 PM
Yeah a monks belt like item for casters would be a huge balance issue.