PDA

View Full Version : What to do with an enemy's holy symbol? [PF]

Sillycomic
2011-02-01, 02:52 PM
My group is in an evil campaign, and we just finished killing a bunch of mercenaries being run by a chaotic good cleric of Harn. (the gm home brewed dieites, but he's the equivalent of Pelor)

I'm playing an Anti-Paladin, (which is awesome by the way) and I find myself in a pickle. I have this good holy symbol.

Being as we're still only level 1 I know I have limited options, but I was wondering what to do with this little gift.

It is silver and quite well made. The GM said we could sell it for about 250 gold to the right person, however if I just melted it down the silver itself would only be about 50 gold.

I don't care though. It's not about the money. It's about the ridicule and shame. I want to humiliate this god by desecrating the holy symbol.

I was thinking of melting it down and turning it into my own symbol.

Or, returning it to get into the church's good side so I can betray them at a later point.

Any ideas, suggestions? Past stories of humiliation?

Waker
2011-02-01, 02:59 PM
Your ideas so far are good. You could also melt it down and turn it into something else entirely, like a sacrificial blade. I think that would be appropriately blasphemous. If you felt like going the sneaky route you could alternately use it as part of a disguise "I'm a Paladin of Harn."

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-01, 03:01 PM
Swallow it.

Amnestic
2011-02-01, 03:19 PM
Wear it and do bad things so people will turn against the deity in question for seemingly having one of their followers going around being a nasty person.

gallagher
2011-02-01, 03:33 PM
i would put it in a place where someone would easily fall for a trap. by recognizing that symbol, either someone will want to take it (for good or for bad) or might trust the area too much (since it is a good holy symbol)

Worlok
2011-02-01, 03:39 PM
chaotic good cleric of Harn
"Harn" is a German word for urine. Figure something out. :smallbiggrin:

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-01, 03:56 PM
My group is in an evil campaign, and we just finished killing a bunch of mercenaries being run by a chaotic good cleric of Harn. (the gm home brewed dieites, but he's the equivalent of Pelor)

I'm playing an Anti-Paladin, (which is awesome by the way) and I find myself in a pickle. I have this good holy symbol.

Being as we're still only level 1 I know I have limited options, but I was wondering what to do with this little gift.

It is silver and quite well made. The GM said we could sell it for about 250 gold to the right person, however if I just melted it down the silver itself would only be about 50 gold.

I don't care though. It's not about the money. It's about the ridicule and shame. I want to humiliate this god by desecrating the holy symbol.

I was thinking of melting it down and turning it into my own symbol.

Or, returning it to get into the church's good side so I can betray them at a later point.

Any ideas, suggestions? Past stories of humiliation?

Melting it down into something sinister works, sure. An Evil god's holy symbol or a sacrificial dagger of sorts, I bet both of these were already suggested...

Or you could keep it and use it for mischief. I don't know anything about Anti-paladins but with sufficient bluff check you could do quite a lot of damage, pretending to be a priest or having someone else do it.

Then there's an option of laughing demonically and crushing it under your foot/in your hand in front of an appropriate audience. Just don't fail that Str check, or you'll just look stupid =p

Triskavanski
2011-02-01, 04:06 PM
use it to brand that holy symbol into peoples faces. :D

Sillycomic
2011-02-01, 04:13 PM
Would silver make a good metal to brand people?

I like the idea of pretending to be a paladin and use the good holy symbol for my own selfish purposes. I have a decent bluff, but will definitely need to get more. Perhaps a skill focus.

Triskavanski
2011-02-01, 04:16 PM
Its metal.. so yeah. Its better than branding someone with pewter. But not as funny.

Edit:

Ooh oh!
Find a another cleric and give him a silver tongue :D

Coidzor
2011-02-01, 04:25 PM
Hmm. Something a bit nastier than just melting it down. Twisting it and breaking it in just such a way as to spell out something more blasphemous in abyssal/infernal(which ones do Antipaladins like?) should be doable using a knowledge: religion check. Certainly a bit more interesting than killing it with fire.

Ashram
2011-02-01, 04:38 PM
Hmm. Something a bit nastier than just melting it down. Twisting it and breaking it in just such a way as to spell out something more blasphemous in abyssal/infernal(which ones do Antipaladins like?) should be doable using a knowledge: religion check. Certainly a bit more interesting than killing it with fire.

Pathfinder antipaladins are always CE, so Abyssal. :P

I really like the idea of wearing the holy symbol and committing horrible atrocities in Harn's name, to disgrace the deity and sow chaos and distrust. That's awesome antipaladin material. Killing people is meh. Destroying their faith in a god is much more lasting. =D

Waker
2011-02-01, 04:42 PM
I really like the idea of wearing the holy symbol and committing horrible atrocities in Harn's name, to disgrace the deity and sow chaos and distrust. That's awesome antipaladin material. Killing people is meh. Destroying their faith in a god is much more lasting. =D
I just have to wonder how long it will take before the DM uses this as justification to send an Outsider or two after him on behalf of Harn. I don't know if they changed it in PF, but I think a God would know when someone is committing atrocities in their name.

Sillycomic
2011-02-01, 04:54 PM
Disgracing the deity by wearing it and then making people lose faith in the god itself. I like that a lot. It's my new favorite.

The only problem is I don't want to play chaotic stupid simply by doing whatever atrocity there is and wearing the symbol. It seems like that way would get my character killed pretty quickly, either by awesome Harn clerics, or perhaps an outsider of some sorts.

So, how would one go about doing it a smart way that keeps me off of any major outsider's (or god's) radar? At least... for a little bit.

VirOath
2011-02-01, 04:59 PM
Start up a little trophy belt, but because you don't want to be carrying around those vile Good-Aligned Holy Symbols, you'll need to purify it first.

Bath it in the blood of the innocent and virgins so the metal stains with the blood, then hang it from a belt, shield, armor spikes (Impaled upon), or so on.

LibraryOgre
2011-02-01, 05:37 PM
Coat it with contact poison (or, if your DM allows physics, find a way to make it radioactive). Something that makes it dangerous.

I do think the simplest one is to simply wear it while going about your evil. I like branding people, or starting a cult in the name of this deity, but one that perverts their actual dogma into something dark and twisted.

Ashram
2011-02-01, 05:41 PM
I just have to wonder how long it will take before the DM uses this as justification to send an Outsider or two after him on behalf of Harn. I don't know if they changed it in PF, but I think a God would know when someone is committing atrocities in their name.

Oh, it's definitely gonna have some repurcussions, but when you start thinking big like this, you gotta take into account the cons.

Also, Sillycomic, I agree with not being Chaotic Stupid (Even though Antipaladin in Pathfinder is more or less supposed to be that >.>). Since Harn is basically homebrew Pelor, how about any time you find someone who's sick/hurt and in need of "healing", show them "Harn's mercy" and Lay on Hands him with negative energy?

After all, his injuries were severe, nothing against a "merciful death", right? :smallwink:

Just don't do it to the party, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.

Traveler
2011-02-01, 06:26 PM
Start a collection. As fun as it may be to turn it into something evil, having a chain of them hanging on your side as trophies is a sure way to tick off the good people in your world.