PDA

View Full Version : What brought you to the Playground?

Drynwyn
2011-02-01, 04:00 PM
Basically, how did you discover the Playground?
I was brought here by an existing member, Ilmryn, after he introduced me to Oots.

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-01, 04:02 PM
I came here for the Roleplaying Forum, found the comic, stayed for the comic than found Arts and Crafts and stayed for the comic and Arts and Crafts.

KenderWizard
2011-02-01, 04:55 PM
I made figures for the D&D campaign I play in, and the others said they looked like "Order of the Stick" characters, so I came to see what Order of the Stick was, and it was great! After a while, I came on the forums for Haley's translations. I usually don't join forums anymore because I get upset by trolls and petty arguments and rudeness, but this one was so nice and friendly that I decided to give it a try!

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-01, 06:04 PM
tv tropes:smalltongue:

Xiander
2011-02-01, 07:34 PM
Someone linked me the comic and i read it. After a years time i discovered the forum. after even longer i began to post here.

Blue Ghost
2011-02-01, 07:37 PM
I was linked to OOTS from the Wizards forum. After reading the comic on and off for several months, I came to the forum to check out Haley's aphasia cypher. I lurked here for a while, and then I was bored one night and found the Silly Message Board Games. And now I am Blue Ghost, warrior of the Playground! WE WILL CONQUER ALL!

Falgorn
2011-02-01, 07:41 PM
I saw my camp consuler reading it, then I decided to read it.
Soon enough, I discovered the forums.

KuReshtin
2011-02-01, 08:03 PM
It was mentioned in the gaming group one day while we were playing.
Someone made a reference to the comic (could have been the "I GOT A 4!" that was referenced), and since I hadn't heard of it, they showed me.
Forgot about it for a while after that, before they made another reference a couple months later, and I again asked what it was. After some comments about me having a terrible memory, which usually isn't true, I decided to go find it and see if it was any good.

Read the comic for a while before I started looking around the rest of the site and the forum. Lurked for a while on the forums while following the comic, and then decided to sign up to comment on something on here, and the rest is, as they say, history.

Moff Chumley
2011-02-01, 09:36 PM
Some kid showed me the comic, which I followed for a while. Then I clicked on all of the sidebar items in order, and once I got to forums, I lurked for a bit and then registered.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-01, 09:42 PM
Some kid showed me the comic, which I followed for a while. Then I clicked on all of the sidebar items in order, and once I got to forums, I lurked for a bit and then registered.

Pretty much.

MoonCat
2011-02-01, 09:53 PM

Exactly, except it was my brother. He convinced me with the deal that for every strip I read I could hit his head. Eventually I forgot about him. :smallbiggrin:

PJ the Epic
2011-02-01, 09:57 PM
I have the some kid story too.

Some kid told me to read Sluggy Freelance, but I typed it in wrong.

Really wrong apparently.

The first sight was GitP, which I thought was the right one. I read the comic, liked it, and continued coming back.

ScottishDragon
2011-02-01, 11:15 PM
Read a poster about it somewhere in Berkeley. Advertising works!!!

Gullara
2011-02-02, 12:12 AM
I was linked to it from some random site. A while later I started reading it. A while after I was like "Ooh forums!" and joined.

Exciting stuff, I know.

Jarian
2011-02-02, 12:23 AM

Pretty much this, except it was my S.O. who pointed it out. I think he stopped reading about the same time as I joined up on the forums, which was only after a good four years or so of reading the comic and occasionally seeing what other people were talking about via his account.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-02, 12:32 AM
Friend introduced me to Order of the Stick and thus the forums.

Maxios
2011-02-02, 12:35 AM
I looked up Stick Figures on wikipedia a few years ago, and found a link to this site. I forgot about until a year or two ago, and read the the entire comic in a couple days.
I then signed up to the forums :smallcool:

Kitchen-Slayer
2011-02-02, 01:17 AM
Well, after reading the comic for quite some time on and off, my friend started coming over quite frequently and showing me the hilarity known as the forums. And, well, let's face it. Look at my screen-name. Does it look like I'm here for the serious discussions?

That, and I'm a DM for Anima: Beyond Fantasy. Yes, I just brought Gaia to the Playground O.o

Jarian
2011-02-02, 02:18 AM
That, and I'm a DM for Anima: Beyond Fantasy. Yes, I just brought Gaia to the Playground O.o

Wait, Anima?

As in, THIS Anima?
http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2010/180/b/e/anima__Arcangel_by_Wen_M.jpg

I always thought it was some hypothetical video game in development. I must know more.

Zanaril
2011-02-02, 02:36 AM
Someone mentioned OOTS in a review to a Prince of Persia fanfic on fanfiction.net.

I googled it, ended up here, started reading.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-02, 08:22 AM
Wait, Anima?

As in, THIS Anima?
http://th05.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2010/180/b/e/anima__Arcangel_by_Wen_M.jpg

I always thought it was some hypothetical video game in development. I must know more.

Oh yes it is a D100 based system quite fun:smallsmile:

And a friend (incidentally the same that runs the Anima game ) was the one who told me about OoTs; I started reading the comic, then someone at BG linked to a post here, then I lurked for a bit before joining.

Lycan 01
2011-02-02, 09:36 AM
I don't remember. :smalleek:

Actually, I think it was back when I was a member of the official Elder Scrolls forums. I spent most of my internet time there... fun times... At any rate, somehow I stumbled upon a link to OotS, IIRC. But I could be wrong. Seriously, its been years. Is that sad, or does being here so long I forgot how I got here equate to some GitP badge of honor? :smalltongue:

I do remember what was happening when I joined, though. I found the comic when the current issue was O-Chul being tortured by Redcloak and the civilians were about to be fed to the Snarl. I read the whole comic in 2-3 days. Then I joined the forums... and promptly had my organs harvested. Yes, I joined in the height of the "Pixie organ harvesting" craze, and a few days later later it was banned by Roland St. Jude. Lovely way to be introduced to the site. "Hi, I'm now! Oh gosh, my spleen! OH GOSH, DON'T BAN ME!!" XD

Then 2 weeks later I played my first DnD game. A few months later, I pretty much stopped frequenting the Elder Scrolls/Bethesda forums, and became a fanatic GitP member.

Yep. Good times, good times... :smallcool:

rakkoon
2011-02-02, 09:50 AM
Guest strip in 8 bit theater. Which I stopped following a long time ago. Now I live here.

Archonic Energy
2011-02-02, 09:53 AM
poll in the Bioware forum asking which of these web comics you read...

Jan Mattys
2011-02-02, 09:57 AM
I came here when one of my best pals on Fumbbl.com linked Oots strip dedicated to Gary Gygax after he died.

From that strip, I decided to give the comic a try and started from comic #1.

...and I got hooked :smallbiggrin:

Recaiden
2011-02-03, 01:48 PM
A link to the homebrew forum here. And I spend near no time there now. Funny.

Burnheart
2011-02-03, 06:15 PM
Saw a bunch of references and links to jokes in the comic, finally decided to start reading it, read the whole 700+ pages in a few days, then started lurking on the forums and joined up not long after.

THAC0
2011-02-03, 08:42 PM
Not sure how, but I found the comic shortly after it had started. Wayyy long ago.

Didn't check out the forums for years.

Finally registered when Gary passed on, as the other communities I am/was involved with would not have understood.

The Extinguisher
2011-02-03, 09:13 PM
Lord Fullbladder.

I curse him everyday in my sleep. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2011-02-03, 09:31 PM
Lord Fullbladder.

I curse him everyday in my sleep. :smalltongue:

So do I, but for unrelated reasons. :smalltongue:

Ormur
2011-02-03, 09:48 PM
After I started playing D&D my friends often referenced OoTS and after seeing it mentioned someone on the internet too I checked it out and went archive binging. Then I discovered this neat forum that discussed D&D too.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-02-03, 09:51 PM
I found the forum quite a while back (2006ish?) but was already very active on a half dozen D&D forums at least and figured I shouldn't join another. I kept up with it, and when the WotC forums went down the tubes I jumped ship.

Kuma Kode
2011-02-04, 06:34 AM
I think I found the comic by simply googling for D&D webcomics. Read it, then explored Rich's gaming info like the Diplomacy fix, and eventually crawled around to the forums. I liked the homebrew section, and so I set up an account to post up some of my stuff (which I haven't really been doing). Got sucked into the Roleplaying forum instead.

Velaryon
2011-02-04, 09:30 AM
Guest strip in 8 bit theater. Which I stopped following a long time ago. Now I live here.

I remember that! If I had known back then how much better OotS would become than 8-Bit Theater, I would have jumped ship immediately. Alas, it took me a couple years before I rediscovered Order of the Stick on my own, and by that time I had forgotten about the guest comic.

I think I first ended up here when someone linked to the "Wooooo! I'm invisible!" strip from the WotC forums. I don't remember what the newest comic was at the time, but I think it was somewhere during the run of "War & XPs." I then became a semi-regular reader and checked back every month or two. Eventually it became once a week, then every couple of days. One time I got curious and looked in the forums, and then I started lurking here every once in awhile. A couple of months ago I saw a topic that I really wanted to reply to, and so I registered.

I found the forum quite a while back (2006ish?) but was already very active on a half dozen D&D forums at least and figured I shouldn't join another. I kept up with it, and when the WotC forums went down the tubes I jumped ship.

Would that be when they decided being a simple forum was no longer good enough, and tried to reform it into some sort of ugly, poorly-designed Facebook for gamers or whatever the heck it was? That's when I stopped hanging around there.

Delwugor
2011-02-04, 10:00 AM
The swings. I like the sandbox also - had to teach the giants that they can't bully a Dwarf though.

unosarta
2011-02-04, 10:17 AM
The swings. I like the sandbox also - had to teach the giants that they can't bully a Dwarf though.

I don't know... the teeter-tooter is pretty sweet to.

Cyrion
2011-02-04, 10:51 AM
I was briefly in a D&D game in which I played a gnome, one of whose goals was to get a riding dog. Sometime after I moved away, the DM of the game sent me a link to one of the comics with Belkar's riding dog and asked, "Did you mean like this?" That got me hooked on the comic, and I joined the forums after lurking for a bit.

Andraste
2011-02-05, 12:18 AM
I saw a comic on my gaming store's window. After reading it, I came to the forum because of the hiatus.

Snow Leopard
2011-02-09, 08:51 AM
I came here for the comic, then when my girlfriend started playing PbP I decided to join in and playing PbB.

P.S. I am not a sweet Pixie anymore, but a menacing halfling :smallbiggrin: