PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Feats for an animal companion?

leden
2011-02-01, 04:55 PM
Hello, I`m currently playing a druid and my GM told me I could change the feats Toby, my riding dog, has. I'm currently lvl4 so if my calculations are correct he has 3 feats, right? He already has barding and my GM told me he'd give him Two-weapon fighting for free if I buy him a helmet with spikes or something like that.
So, my question is.. What kind of feats should I have him take? Thank you very much :)

Keld Denar
2011-02-01, 05:00 PM
Your animal companion can actually take Improved Unarmed Strike, which is hillarious. If he does so, he can make UAS attacks (which gain iteratives), and then make his bite attack as a secondary natural weapon (instead of the normal primary).

With IUAS, you're pet can actually take feats like Improved Grapple and Snapkick, which is also rather hillarious.

Your TWFing idea wouldn't work unless he got two weapons. You can't TWF with a natural weapon, they function under completely different mechanics. Lords of Madness does have Mouthpick weapons, a +1 equivalent mod that allows a sword or similar weapon to be wielded by any creature with a bite attack. If he got a Mouthpick weapon and Improved Unarmed Strike, he could TWF, or a Mouthpick weapon and armor spikes (from barding), or a similar combination of manufactured weapons, it would work.

ImperiousLeader
2011-02-01, 05:02 PM
2 Feats, plus Track. Track is a bonus feat and shouldn't be changeable. I'm not sure if Two-Weapon Fighting would even work. Multiattack might, but I'm not entirely sure.

Waker
2011-02-01, 05:05 PM
What route are you trying to take with your dog? Are you looking to make him into a competent combatant or did you have some other idea?

For now I'll assume you want him to go the combatant route. I would think Power Attack would be a solid choice. An amusing choice would be getting Endurance/Steadfast Determination, would make it harder to kill him.

Runestar
2011-02-01, 05:14 PM
At this low lv, there aren't many good feats your dog can qualify for. Maybe general purpose feats like improved initiative or maybe martial study/stance for some maneuvers to round out its basic melee attack? Steel wind+punishing stance is a fun combo which never gets old. :smallbiggrin:

leden
2011-02-01, 05:20 PM
If I gave him IUAS what would be his atack bonus with his full atack?? +6(+3str+3BAB)/+1?
You're right Walker, I want to make him a good combatant.

EDIT: Does my animal companion have his own initiative? I usually roll mine and have him act at the same time.. :/

Keld Denar
2011-02-01, 05:29 PM
Yes, he would attack attack with his UAS at +6 and his bite at +1. When he gets 3 more points of BAB, he'll attack at +9/+4 for UAS, and +4 Bite. Note, the UAS will get 1x +Str bonus to damage, while the bite will only get half +Str bonus to damage.

Kung-fu puppy!

Most ACs act on their master's turn. Its just easier that way.

Coidzor
2011-02-01, 05:36 PM
Is steadfast determination the one that allows one to key will saves to constitution? That might be something consider as you advance in level and your AC's abysmal will save weakness becomes more onerous.

Waker
2011-02-01, 05:55 PM
Steadfast Determination adds your Con score in place of Wis for Will saves and you don't automatically fail Fortitude saves on a 1.

Thurbane
2011-02-01, 08:15 PM
Technically, he could take the Bind Vestige feat chain (has no INT requirement), although trying to visualize an animal intelligence dog binding a vestige is...awkward, to say the least. :smalltongue:

mabriss lethe
2011-02-01, 09:21 PM
You could take Fey heritage and then after pooch hits 9hd, have him take fey legacy? Puppy can now D.Door and summon a freakin' rhino 1/day. (that's really just silly though.)

Options that make sense? Improved unarmed strike, snap kick, combat reflexes,etc.

Options that make less sense, but could be pretty cool? Bind Vestige, The SLA feats from Complete Arcane, Heritage feats from complete mage, Devotion feats (animal devotion would be really funny) I dunno, get stupid here.

Coidzor
2011-02-01, 10:02 PM
Technically, he could take the Bind Vestige feat chain (has no INT requirement), although trying to visualize an animal intelligence dog binding a vestige is...awkward, to say the least. :smalltongue:

A dog, talking in dog, to an illusion of a vestige doesn't strike you as EPIC? Because that seems pretty epic to me. :smallbiggrin:

Waker
2011-02-02, 01:33 AM
Technically, he could take the Bind Vestige feat chain (has no INT requirement), although trying to visualize an animal intelligence dog binding a vestige is...awkward, to say the least.
Yeah, I doubt the DM would allow that since the feat specifically says "you must draw it's unique seal visibly on a surface" which a dog with animal intelligence might have some difficulty with. And then the dog with animal intelligence has to "perform a ritual...During this time, you must touch the seal and call out to the vestige..." Yeah, technically the feat doesn't have the requirement, but finding a DM who will allow that is unlikely. Now if you were to take levels in a class like Arcane Hierophant where your companion familiar has feats and intelligence, it would be workable.

I would say focus on simple combat feats that would get a lot of use. I already mentioned Power Attack, but it would also be nice to add Leap Attack to the list. Or Powerful Charge.
A non-combat feat that might be useful would be Quick Reconnoiter so your pet can always find a hidden or invisible enemy (since Spot and Listen are class skills).

Thurbane
2011-02-02, 02:05 AM
Options that make sense? Improved unarmed strike, snap kick, combat reflexes,etc.
Snap Kick makes sense for a dog?

http://i51.tinypic.com/r79ieu.jpg

Waker
2011-02-02, 02:11 AM
Snap Kick makes sense for a dog?
I would allow it, but only if he named his dog Penrod Pooch.

cZak
2011-02-02, 02:56 PM
I'm going to stick to suggestions that minimize the threat of your DM throwing books at you... :smallwink:

Improved Natural attack - increase damage die by one step
Dodge/ Mobility - normally these feats seem too circumstantial with minimal benefit to take, but its hard to imagine your companion has the tactical sense to move into position in a way that does not provoke AoO's
Imp toughness - companions seem to me to have a low amount of hp's so more is always good
Power attack, Imp trip - Imp trip is suggested in the PHB/MM(?) to be a potential free-be. And whole PC builds are written suggesting this tree.

Warbeast is a very good template that seems reasonable for a companion; bonus to strength & con (I think) and proficiency with armor. Outfit it with even studded leather for the higher AC.

You're right Walker, I want to make him a good combatant.
-leden

Maybe stating the obvious, but don't forget the other benefits of a companion. When I have PC's with companions, I generally use them to augment the party; flank, aid another (track, etc...), guard, et al.

Greenish
2011-02-02, 03:09 PM
Give it Animal Devotion.

Ride with style. Ride a flying dog.

Jayabalard
2011-02-02, 03:20 PM
If you use him for flanking a lot, Combat Reflexes > Vexing flanker > Adaptable flanker (also requires BAB +4)

dndwizard
2018-03-22, 06:49 PM
Your animal companion can actually take Improved Unarmed Strike, which is hillarious. If he does so, he can make UAS attacks (which gain iteratives), and then make his bite attack as a secondary natural weapon (instead of the normal primary).

With IUAS, you're pet can actually take feats like Improved Grapple and Snapkick, which is also rather hillarious.

Your TWFing idea wouldn't work unless he got two weapons. You can't TWF with a natural weapon, they function under completely different mechanics. Lords of Madness does have Mouthpick weapons, a +1 equivalent mod that allows a sword or similar weapon to be wielded by any creature with a bite attack. If he got a Mouthpick weapon and Improved Unarmed Strike, he could TWF, or a Mouthpick weapon and armor spikes (from barding), or a similar combination of manufactured weapons, it would work.

Can I give my animal companion the improved critical?

Falontani
2018-03-22, 07:56 PM
Martial Study + Martial Stance: Crusader's Strike + Martial Spirit. Whenever doggo hits something he heals someone for 2 HP!

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-03-22, 11:42 PM
Snap Kick makes sense for a dog?Say hello to Amaterasu, now with kung fu grip.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/8b98/f/2006/334/0/8/okami__amaterasu_and_oki_by_azurelith.jpg