PDA

View Full Version : An Experiment: Thematic Maneuvers for Core Classes

wayfare
2011-02-01, 05:54 PM
Playgrounders, I pose a question to you:

What sorts of things would be needed to create ToB style maneuvers for the Core melee-oriented classes? I Know the martial traing feat exists, and i am aware that ToB characters generally out-perform the core classes, but I consider these (truthful) points to be less-than-helpful for my purposes.

I'm trying to create thematic Maneuver sets for the following classes: Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, Rogue, and Paladin. My initial idea is to make the maneuvers link up with important aspects of each class. Like so:

Rogue
Sig. Aspect: Sneak Attack
Maneuvers: The rogue will have maneuvers that expand the utility of sneak attack, allow for improved stealth, and inflict status ailments upon enemies when a sneak attack connects.

Barbarian
Sig. Aspect: Rage
Maneuvers: The barbarian will have maneuvers that can only be accessed while raging, maneuvers that intimidate foes, and maneuvers that spread rage or confusion to allies or enemies.

So, Playgrounders, what would be needed to create effective fighting styles for these characters taht so desperatly need the help?

LansXero
2011-02-01, 06:22 PM
Rogue
Sig. Aspect: Sneak Attack
Maneuvers: The rogue will have maneuvers that expand the utility of sneak attack, allow for improved stealth, and inflict status ailments upon enemies when a sneak attack connects.

So, basically Shadow Hand?

expand the utility of sneak attack = Assasin's Stance
allow for improved stealth, = You actually get invisibility and concealment as boosts.
and inflict status ailments upon enemies = 5ive Shadows Creeping Ice Ennervation Strike, as well as others.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-01, 06:25 PM
Raging-only thing seems to be a bad idea to me. At least some maneuvers should be accessible out of rage, too - even if fairly bland ones at that.

I think every class should get at least a couple of maneuvers that actually focuses on the weaker aspect of each class. A rogue might have some kind of a maneuver that greatly improves Trip or Grapple for one use, with generally dirty flavour. Since rogues aren't usually high-strength large size kinda guys, this is one of their weaker points.

I'd suggest something like "Shinkicker", boost, grants you 1/2 of your sneak attack dies (round up) to one trip check. Perhaps makes the target flatfooted for 1 round? Although that might be too much. Or just lets you do an attack afterwards, just like Improved Trip, with your foe denied dex to armor for that one hit.

And something similar to work with grapple, adding +1/2 sneak attack dies to one grapple check, either to escape or to initiate, perhaps with something extra on top like an attack with a light weapon like a shiv or regular unarmed strike.

I think that kinda fits the archetype of the rogue as a tricky, often dishonorable (whatever that means!) opportunist.

A barbarian could have a whole set of obvious powerful attacks only useable in rage and a few non-rage related ones that would perhaps have something to do with barbarian's archetypal toughness and general expertise at adventuring/wilderness.

A ranger could smack someone with a bow like that Na'vi chick from Avatar, possibly stunning or otherwise interrupting the enemy who'd be too busy thinking 'why the hell is that idiot swinging a bow at me?".

If you're considering to add maneuvers to primary casters, then I'd totally suggest something like "Cornered Burst" boost for wizards and sorcerers (or just wizards), letting you bullrush someone without attacks of opportunity and perhaps deliver one spell that becomes a single target touch as a full round action. If you want it to be class specific, definitely give it to wizards. Sort of a nerd rage; a frail wizard starts getting desperate and overwhelmed, and he summons all his strength in a burst

Can't think of anything else right now, will consider on my way home.

erikun
2011-02-01, 09:26 PM
For the rogue, the various sneak attack feats as maneuvers - such as giving up 2d6 damage for some Dexterity damage, or attempting to blind - would probably be the most fitting. Perhaps some "feint" attacks that allow allies to make an AoO against the opponent, or knock them off balance to grant a circumstance bonus to anyone attacking them.

For the barbarian, a look at the 4e class provides a lot of good options. Some rages increase damage, some increase DR, some speed and agility. A lot of the 4e rages include effects like setting nearby enemies on fire or raising back from the dead which likely aren't appropriate, but there are still a number of good ideas there.

Paladins can use their Lay on Hands ability for various functions - anything from curing poison to dispelling magic to smite attacks.

wayfare
2011-02-01, 10:56 PM
Great points, I'll keep them in mind!

As for half-casters, I wonder how i might balance them out. I think my options are:

1) Give Paladins and Rangers access to level 5 fighter maneuvers and level 4 spells.

2) Incorporating these spells into their maneuver list.

Thoughts?

pyrefiend
2011-02-01, 11:17 PM
Also, there have been many homebrew disciplines made on these boards... Oncoming Storm in particular fits the rouge theme, although I can't think of a good choice for barbarian.