PDA

View Full Version : Big silly sword is silly...

Tetsubo 57
2011-02-01, 06:31 PM
Huge, silly sword in action!

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/02/01/enormous-bfg-sword-t.html#comments

Jair Barik
2011-02-01, 06:34 PM
That's certainy... something.
I can't help but feel though that the damage is being caused by the weight of the sword as opposed to the sharpness. Also the whole bit at the start with the bearded guys recruiting the cameraman just seems like an excuse to have the topless guy swinging the sword instead of the larger bearded men.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-01, 06:37 PM
I'm 100% sure I've seen something exactly like this, like 2 years ago or even before that.

Except the guy wasn't as hairy, and it happened on some kind of a parking lot instead of a forest; I'm sure quite a few of ya'll have seen it too.

Clearly none of those dudes had high Str...

Tetsubo 57
2011-02-01, 06:37 PM
That's certainy... something.
I can't help but feel though that the damage is being caused by the weight of the sword as opposed to the sharpness. Also the whole bit at the start with the bearded guys recruiting the cameraman just seems like an excuse to have the topless guy swinging the sword instead of the larger bearded men.

Contrary to what many games seem to think, size does not always equate strength. I've known big, weak guys and small, strong guys. Plus, if you worked out that hard, wouldn't you want to show off?

AslanCross
2011-02-01, 06:38 PM
I think Cloud's quote from Dissidia is appropriate.

"It's not heavy. It's a memento."

Considering that Cloud is skinnier than I am, and that big brute of a guy has trouble hacking through wood with that sword, either the real thing is made of superlight material, or mako infusion is THAT GOOD.

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-01, 06:41 PM
Contrary to what many games seem to think, size does not always equate strength. I've known big, weak guys and small, strong guys. Plus, if you worked out that hard, wouldn't you want to show off?
So...you're saying that size doesn't matter?

Yora
2011-02-01, 06:44 PM
Cloud can Fly and slice throiugh buildings. Lifting that sword is the least of his problems.

AslanCross
2011-02-01, 06:52 PM

The cameraman does have rather copious muscles, however.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-01, 06:59 PM
That weapon is functioning more as a really weird axe than a sword.

Jair Barik
2011-02-01, 07:07 PM
I'd agree with that.
Can't see it being used to lunge, or anything else for that matter bar repeatedly smashing things with it. Depending on how sharp it is I might even say its more of a very strange hammer than an axe.

herrhauptmann
2011-02-01, 07:13 PM
1)That was absurd. Why didn't they just have teh cameraman start in the first place?
No one wants to see an absurdly bearded fat man talk about doctors orders.
2)That was absurd. Even if the sword had been properly weighted, the cameraman didn't know how to swing a mass weapon like that.
3)Did you see the veins cording his arms when he was done? That was from trying to swing something absurdly heavy on the end of a lever.
4)Why did they refer to it as a BFG in description?? What kind of nerds are they, that they don't know what BFG stands for?

But thank you for linking it. I've since passed it to another forum where they can take their time laughing at the whole thing, and banging their heads against the keyboards.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-01, 07:13 PM
The cameraman does have rather copious muscles, however.
Nah, I'd give him 14 str, maybe 15, at most. A proper 18 str guy would be a literal mound of muscles.

That weapon is functioning more as a really weird axe than a sword.

More like a club, I think. With a slightly sharp edge.

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-01, 07:15 PM
You'd probably cause more damage smacking people across the face with the flat of the blade than you would swinging it as a sword

herrhauptmann
2011-02-01, 07:16 PM
More like a club, I think. With a slightly sharp edge.

Then how about this one? Small enough to fit inside a Volkswagen as well.
http://historyshop.piratemerch.com/images/mace_600652.jpg

Granted, it's a mace. You don't need sharp edges to kill someone with it. Though they CAN help with concentrating the striking power.

starwoof
2011-02-01, 07:16 PM
The craftsmanship on that sword is pretty nice, but that was a very weak performance. I am unimpressed.

I knew a guy in high school who's dream was to forge a gigantic sword and cut through a car. He worked out every day until his muscles were bulging and enormous, then he went home and practiced smithing. All he ever talked about was weightlifting, this sword, and an anime called Berzerk. He was actually kinda annoying.

But you know what? He did it. He forged that sword and took it to a car. I don't remember whether he cut it or not (it was a junk car), but he did get full marks on his senior project. I couldn't find the video though, I guess he didn't upload it onto his youtube account.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-01, 07:17 PM
That was damn awesome; he should do Guts' Dragonslayer next :smallbiggrin:.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-01, 07:29 PM
I'm 100% sure I've seen something exactly like this, like 2 years ago or even before that.

Except the guy wasn't as hairy, and it happened on some kind of a parking lot instead of a forest; I'm sure quite a few of ya'll have seen it too.

Clearly none of those dudes had high Str...

This, right? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1M7xbCCIs) I think it's the same guy.

JaronK
2011-02-01, 07:33 PM
The sword itself is bad in more ways than one, but that's what you'd expect from a fantasy blade. You can see when the guy chops how the sword keeps wanting to twist in his hands... there's a good reason for the shape of many blades, and if it's shaped right it shouldn't do that. Plus, a blade of that size should be designed to allow body pulls for greater lever action, something that particular shape doesn't allow.

I mean, obviously a sword that big won't work, but it could be done better...

JaronK

FMArthur
2011-02-01, 07:34 PM
Wow, they sure proved the obvious. :smallconfused:

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-01, 07:37 PM
Wow, they sure proved the obvious. :smallconfused:

I don't think they were trying to prove anything.

I think they were trying to have fun.

I also think they succeeded. So good for them.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-01, 07:42 PM
That was damn awesome; he should do Guts' Dragonslayer next :smallbiggrin:.

Never mind, looks like he already has: http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_648332&v=uR1gCSO9NB0&feature=iv (Although the real dragonslayer is like seven feet long...:smallfrown:)

DarkEternal
2011-02-01, 07:55 PM
But thank you for linking it. I've since passed it to another forum where they can take their time laughing at the whole thing, and banging their heads against the keyboards.

That's sort of sad all in itself.

But yeah, the bearded guy is some sort of a craftsman, I saw him make many swords, and they all look fantastic. He sells them. These "demonstrations" are just for fun, not for them "proving" anything or being douche bags. Just having fun.

Considering that Cloud is skinnier than I am, and that big brute of a guy has trouble hacking through wood with that sword, either the real thing is made of superlight material, or mako infusion is THAT GOOD.

I think he says that because Angelus from Crisis Core said to Zack that the sword was not heavy for him at all because it had his dreams and hope in it. Zack then took the sword from Angelus with the same thing, and pretty much said that to Cloud, that is sort of the origin of the quote(at least that would make sense to me)

As for Cloud's strength, that's jrpg logic, really, where a twiggy guy can lift houses with his pinky finger and chuck them around. Plus, Soldiers are basically super hero levels of strong.

MammonAzrael
2011-02-01, 07:58 PM

Bingo. Magic concentrated steroids and cutting edge bio-magic experimentation and enhancements are pretty slick.

Also, hilarious. I'd love to see someone with actual training in two-handed swords try to use it.

JaronK
2011-02-01, 08:08 PM
Also, hilarious. I'd love to see someone with actual training in two-handed swords try to use it.

I actually have been... and I don't think I could do anything with that weapon. The shape really is all wrong for any serious kind of use. It would try to bend off axis which makes it really hard... a real two handed sword is designed so that it naturally wants the blade edge forward when swung, which that thing clearly isn't.

He did, however, do a good job of replicating the sword from the game.

JaronK

MammonAzrael
2011-02-01, 08:10 PM
I actually have been... and I don't think I could do anything with that weapon. The shape really is all wrong for any serious kind of use. It would try to bend off axis which makes it really hard... a real two handed sword is designed so that it naturally wants the blade edge forward when swung, which that thing clearly isn't.

He did, however, do a good job of replicating the sword from the game.

JaronK

Oh I'm sure its quite infeasible. But you'd still probable be more effective than any of the guys in the video.

Or it would suffer from Guitar Hero syndrome and you'd be even worse!

Either way, I agree it is a terrific replica.

JaronK
2011-02-01, 08:14 PM
The issue is that when you actually want to swing a really big sword around like that, you want to do body pulls, maintain momentum from strike to strike, and occasionally choke up on the weapon. That weapon just has bulk in the way of choking up very far (past the handle... see here (http://images.artfinding.com/lot/_240/peter_finer_artfinding_german_twohanded_sword_1213 2791448819.jpg) for an example of a two hander designed to be choked up on) or doing any sort of body pull, which makes it hard to use it properly. Plus, a weapon that wants to twist like that makes it hard to keep momentum as you have to constantly adjust the blade edge forward while trying to spin the blade around. I dunno, I do a lot of object manipulation work but I bet I could do very little that would be any better than what those guys were doing. Plus, that thing looked REALLY heavy.

JaronK

sonofzeal
2011-02-01, 08:16 PM
I've used some over-sized and over-weighted weapons before. There's a couple tricks to it, but nothing that'll really compensate for how terrible the design is.

KingFlameHawk
2011-02-01, 08:19 PM
If you look at the video you can see that the problem is that the weapon is so huge that the guy (as big as he is) can't get a proper grip on the handle so instead of swinging the blade he is really more droping the blade than anything else. So instead of using the force of his muscles he is using the force of gravity and since there really isn't that much distance for it to travel it can't get any real speed. Force= mass * speed; the sword has a lot of mass but little speed making it an ineffective (but still cool) weapon.

Knaight
2011-02-01, 08:25 PM
The only way anyone is getting more performance with that thing with anything other than brute strength is by being taller, and letting the sword have more time to fall. If it had a much longer handle one might actually be able to do something, but it is simply too unwieldy for sword skill to play in much. Its also far inferior to a sledge hammer.

Agrippa
2011-02-01, 09:05 PM
Bingo. Magic concentrated steroids and cutting edge bio-magic experimentation and enhancements are pretty slick.

Frankly I like to think of it as a darker and more doubius version of the super-soldier serum that turned Steve Rogers into Captain America.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-01, 09:25 PM
They did make swords that long, if not that wide, and they were much more agile then this massive hunk of metal. And they were much, much, lighter (http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html).

Czin
2011-02-01, 09:54 PM
They did make swords that long, if not that wide, and they were much more agile then this massive hunk of metal. And they were much, much, lighter (http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html).

Correct, it was very rare for a greatsword (which was nearly always as long as it's wielder) to weigh more than 7 pounds. The Zweihander, whose blade at 5 feet long (plus a foot or so of pommel) varied between 3 1/2-7 pounds, and it was a sword designed to be heavy so it could a line of pikes.

Though I imagine a sword as wide as the one in the link would be awkward to use due to it's dimensions.

Knaight
2011-02-01, 10:02 PM

They had to be much lighter. They had only a small fraction of the width, and judging by what little could be seen of the edge on the sword in the video, a small fraction of the blade thickness as well.

AslanCross
2011-02-01, 10:34 PM
I love that greatsword article so much. It never fails to make my inner geek happy.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-01, 10:55 PM
To be fair, it looked like a big, good, strong sword, didn't it?

Jarian
2011-02-01, 10:58 PM

Two out of three isn't bad.

tyckspoon
2011-02-01, 10:59 PM

Big, good, and strong I'll give you.. sword? Yeah, we'll fight about that one. It's a club with a sort of sharp edge on it, and not an especially well-designed one at that.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-01, 11:07 PM
Two out of three isn't bad.

Big, good, and strong I'll give you.. sword? Yeah, we'll fight about that one. It's a club with a sort of sharp edge on it, and not an especially well-designed one at that.

You not get reference?

MeeposFire
2011-02-01, 11:12 PM
You not get reference?

I like my Meatloaf fatty.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-01, 11:15 PM
They had to be much lighter. They had only a small fraction of the width, and judging by what little could be seen of the edge on the sword in the video, a small fraction of the blade thickness as well.Which should tell you how silly these massive buster swords are.

Coidzor
2011-02-01, 11:39 PM

Well, if that were the case, we wouldn't have to worry about it for much longer. Since the Nothing would take it off our hands shortly.

Knaight
2011-02-01, 11:42 PM

Do clubs deserve to be insulted like this? They still had to be functional weapons.

Ravens_Cry, just about everyone here is aware of how actual swords worked, and how the buster swords are idiotic. My point was that actual swords being lighter was inherent in them being far smaller, due to constants like the density of iron (though different types of steel do vary, if nowhere near enough to account for the size difference.)

Dr.Epic
2011-02-02, 12:29 AM
I like my Meatloaf fatty.

:smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfused:

Are we thinking of the same movie?

JaronK
2011-02-02, 12:40 AM
One of the main things that was realized with longer weapons is that it's very useful to grab the weapon closer to the midpoint. There's a good reason giant evolved towards having grips farther and farther up the blade... and eventually were just replaced with halberds, naginatas, and other pole arms that could be used to piece or hack but allowed the user to grab it almost anywhere.

This sword makes that completely impossible, which is part of why it can't be used right.

JaronK

Ravens_cry
2011-02-02, 12:45 AM
That and its impossibly BIG, been too thick, too wide and completely unbalanced. A terrible club and a worse sword.

Coidzor
2011-02-02, 12:45 AM

This one, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0VxGRWPh28) right?

JaronK
2011-02-02, 12:51 AM
That and its impossibly BIG, been too thick, too wide and completely unbalanced. A terrible club and a worse sword.

Quite. But even assuming you wanted a weapon that big (and that heavy, for some reason) you'd still want to be able to use the middle of it as a leverage point, which the shape makes impossible. Even if you were somehow strong enough to use it, it would still not work.

JaronK

Dr.Epic
2011-02-02, 12:55 AM
This one, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0VxGRWPh28) right?

Yeap. That one.

herrhauptmann
2011-02-02, 01:59 AM
Quite. But even assuming you wanted a weapon that big (and that heavy, for some reason) you'd still want to be able to use the middle of it as a leverage point, which the shape makes impossible. Even if you were somehow strong enough to use it, it would still not work.

JaronK

I know! You can put a 10-20 pound counterweight on the pommel, that'll shift the balance point a bit, maybe even enough to let your hand be near the center of mass.
But then it's another 10-20 pounds heavier. Better balanced or not, this thing is already big enough that these guys were using their whole bodyweight to carry it.

Alternatively, blood grooves fullers, running the length of the blade. 4 or 5 of them for something that wide, maybe more. That much metal taken out should be a few pounds, and also help with handling.

Triskavanski
2011-02-02, 02:26 AM
As a sword's massiveness increases, the way to swing the sword should also change.

For example one thing I've seen was a large "double-sword" that could only be properly wielded with some fancy footwear as you would kick the sword and use its own inertia rather than trying to constantally force only your arms to provide everything.

My absurd sword wielding character who would wield a large size fullblade basically followed this logic. after the first downward chop, he would polevault over the sword (Which would basically be a shaped lump of raw iron truthfully) and create another downward chop.

Nearly 99% of the time, the blade would be dragging on the ground and area near the handle would be used to defend against a person actively trying to kill you rather than trying to stop them with the other side like swords are typically shown as being done.

IF there were rules for it in DnD when swinging an absurd weapon like this.. the joke is his fighting style would be called Smash, as anything not soild rock would pretty much become smashed.

MeeposFire
2011-02-02, 02:30 AM

Nope I was thinking of a song not a movie. By Meatloaf called Two out of Three Ain't Bad

"I want you (I want you)
I need you (I need you)
But-there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you
Now don't be sad (Don't be sad)
'Cause two out of three ain't bad
Now don't be sad (Cause)
'Cause two out of three ain't bad"

Hilarious song. And Meatloaf sang better when he was fatter hence my comment.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-02, 02:57 AM
Nope I was thinking of a song not a movie. By Meatloaf called Two out of Three Ain't Bad

"I want you (I want you)
I need you (I need you)
But-there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you
Now don't be sad (Don't be sad)
'Cause two out of three ain't bad
Now don't be sad (Cause)
'Cause two out of three ain't bad"

Hilarious song. And Meatloaf sang better when he was fatter hence my comment.

Then why did you comment on my post?

Kris Strife
2011-02-02, 05:44 AM

Nitpick: Cloud used the sword before he had any enhancements (though I think that was helped by him being extremely angry at the time), and I'm not sure he got any real benefits from SOLDIER experiments due to mako sensitivity.

I'm also not certain that the Buster Sword in the game was made out of iron, or steel, as opposed to some lightweight, super strong fantasy metal. Angeal's father did basically put his family (which probably got a good bit of money for being in the SOLDIER experimental program in the first place) into poverty to have it made.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-02, 06:34 AM
The Buster Sword might make more sense if the handle went up behind the blade - but then it would be even more like a weird axe.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-02, 07:30 AM
The Buster Sword might make more sense if the handle went up behind the blade - but then it would be even more like a weird axe.

Still nowhere near as stupid as the gunblade.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-02, 09:23 AM
Nah, I'd say Squall's Gunblade is about as silly as that.

Seifer's Gunblade, meanwhile...

TalonDemonKing
2011-02-02, 09:48 AM
Maybe not a gunblade, but how about a gunlance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nngranqSfMg

Coidzor
2011-02-02, 11:52 AM

Yeah, Buster Lochaber Axe just don't have the same ring to it.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-02, 11:58 AM
Still would scare the pants out of you if you saw someone coming at you with it. Then laugh as they fall over backwards when they pull it back to swing it.

Spiryt
2011-02-02, 12:14 PM

Lochaber axe being kind of voulge/bardiche have blade mounted on the side of the pole, basically like.... axe, so it certainly would look like one.

Anyway, I don't really care about pointless dimensions and stuff, the thing that cracks me up the most is really guard/handle/ whatever word you like to use (http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3/10215-cloud%20strife_super.jpg).

Bulky thing looking like two pieces of steel nailed or welded together like tank plates, with some nails, stuff or whatever...

And I've chosen less silly pic, obviously.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-02, 12:18 PM
Nah, I'd say Squall's Gunblade is about as silly as that.

Seifer's Gunblade, meanwhile...

No, the gunblade is far stupider. The logic behind the buster sword is just making a weapon bigger which is understandable. A sword is just a bigger dagger (well, okay not exactly but just role with it) and it plain one-on-one melee combat has a better advantage.

The gunblade. What is it? It's worse than a gun, and worse than a sword. The grip is neither ideal for either weapon, you can't shot bullets out of it, and by the time you master the insane technique of the weapon you could have easily learned how to fight with a sword in one hand while learning how to accurately fire a gun in the other.

Knaight
2011-02-02, 12:45 PM
The gunblade. What is it? It's worse than a gun, and worse than a sword. The grip is neither ideal for either weapon, you can't shot bullets out of it, and by the time you master the insane technique of the weapon you could have easily learned how to fight with a sword in one hand while learning how to accurately fire a gun in the other.
Its worse than that actually. The idea is that one has a gun with a blade on it, and there are practical designs for putting blades on a gun. Its called a bayonet.

Triskavanski
2011-02-02, 01:27 PM
I think you have it backwards, actually. The idea is its a blade with a gun in it, and in a practical purpose it would be made for thrusting attacking (Pistolgrip is actually very good for such things and is used in things such as fencing.. not just guns)

But thrusting attacks do have a tendency to get you a stuck sword. But never fear, pull the trigger and blast a hole in the victim to pull the sword out easier.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-02, 01:29 PM
Gunblades don't shoot bullets.

The only time Squall and Seifer 'shoot' with their weapons is when they're using magic.

(Also yeah, thrusting with a pistol grip is actually easier than thrusting with a sword grip. Not that either gunblade looks anything like a thrusting weapon.)

Koury
2011-02-02, 01:40 PM
Lightning shot with her gunblade all the time though.

KingFlameHawk
2011-02-02, 05:04 PM
The purpose of the trigger on the gunblade is not to shoot bullets but to send a shock wave through the blade in order to increase the cuting power. Basically it is a kind of vibrosword.

P.S. have any of you actually looked at the gunblade, if you look at the picture the handle is not shaped like the grip of a gun but like more like that of a sword. Basiclly it is like a normal sword but with the blade going out at a 45 degree angle.

(edit: Except for Seifer's his is stupid)

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Revolver

KingFlameHawk
2011-02-02, 05:05 PM
Lightning shot with her gunblade all the time though.

That was different. Her weapon could change shape between a sword and a gun. It could not fire in its sword form.

AslanCross
2011-02-02, 06:36 PM
The purpose of the trigger on the gunblade is not to shoot bullets but to send a shock wave through the blade in order to increase the cuting power. Basically it is a kind of vibrosword.

P.S. have any of you actually looked at the gunblade, if you look at the picture the handle is not shaped like the grip of a gun but like more like that of a sword. Basiclly it is like a normal sword but with the blade going out at a 45 degree angle.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Revolver

Not Seifer's Gunblade.

http://www.estarland.com/images/products/54/28754/50200.jpg
Also, please edit your previous posts instead of double-posting.

Tetsubo 57
2011-02-02, 06:44 PM
Firearms really were incorporated into real weapons such as swords, axes, maces and even crossbows. But fantasy gunblades are pretty silly.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-02, 06:45 PM
You know what bugs me the most about Seifer's weapon?

The blade.

It's shaped like a single-edged blade - the curve and all - but it's double-edged. Why?

Also, that hook near the base. What's the point of that? You're not going to be hooking anything that close to your hand. And why is that inner bit sharpened?!

Czin
2011-02-02, 06:46 PM
Firearms really were incorporated into real weapons such as swords, axes, maces and even crossbows. But fantasy gunblades are pretty silly.

Yes indeed, but the advent of the ring and later socket bayonet rendered all of those weapons you mentioned obsolete.

Spiryt
2011-02-02, 06:50 PM
Yes indeed, but the advent of the ring and later socket bayonet rendered all of those weapons you mentioned obsolete.

I'm going to bet they weren't really used in the first place, because they are beyond clunky.

Clunky guns and completely unwieldy melee weapons. Most look like decoration/show off piece, technological gadget.

Linky (http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_spot_combo.html)

It's not like any of these could serve as something similar to bayonet, even in wildest dreams.

It's shaped like a single-edged blade - the curve and all - but it's double-edged. Why?

Well, to be fair it doesn't look really single edged.

Anyway, blade looks quite silly, being flat all around it, and having edge in form of horrible bevel starting millimeters from the very end.

Czin
2011-02-02, 06:53 PM
I'm going to bet they weren't really used in the first place, because they are beyond clunky.

Clunky guns and completely unwieldy melee weapons. Most look like decoration/show off piece, technological gadget.

Linky (http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_spot_combo.html)

It's not like any of these could serve as something similar to bayonet, even in wildest dreams.

Well, to be fair it doesn't look really single edged.

Instead, blade looks mostly useless, being flat all around, and having edge in form of horrible bevel starting millimeters from the very end.

It wouldn't cut anything very well. At all. :smalltongue:

The crossbow firelock sounds doable...if redundant.

Spiryt
2011-02-02, 06:57 PM
The crossbow firelock sounds doable...if redundant.

They all are doable. They could be fired it seems. But that didn't mean they were practical at all.

Anyway, only Buffalo Bill Center gun with big knife hanging down seems really anyhow practical to me.

Yeah, blade hanging from the barrell would screw the aiming and handling quite a bit, but nothing drastic for such close range weapon, and might indeed came handy sometimes.

Czin
2011-02-02, 07:09 PM
They all are doable. They could be fired it seems. But that didn't mean they were practical at all.

Anyway, only Buffalo Bill Center gun with big knife hanging down seems really anyhow practical to me.

Yeah, blade hanging from the barrell would screw the aiming and handling quite a bit, but nothing drastic for such close range weapon, and might indeed came handy sometimes.

The knife pistol looks like an attempt to take the concept of the bayonet, reverse which is being added to which, and apply it to a hand gun. But ultimately, the knife-rifle combo remains the all time most effective combination of a firearm and another weapon of all time, it's one of the only examples of said combinations that has survived to this day.

Koury
2011-02-02, 08:19 PM
That was different. Her weapon could change shape between a sword and a gun. It could not fire in its sword form.

I am almost positive this is incorrect. I think in her Army of One move, for example, she shoots with her blade fully extended more then once, most notably the attack right before the second slo-mo move (after a flip I think). I can't check to be certain right now, but I think I'm right about that (not that it really matters :smallredface:)

AslanCross
2011-02-02, 08:23 PM
You know what bugs me the most about Seifer's weapon?

The blade.

Also, that hook near the base. What's the point of that? You're not going to be hooking anything that close to your hand. And why is that inner bit sharpened?!

To make matters worse, in the intro FMV he uses mostly thrusting moves, as if his gunblade were a rapier. He does use it with a slashing motion in-game and when he gives Squall his scar.

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-02, 08:43 PM
For the life of me, I will not understand how Seifer's gunblade is stupid and Squall's gunblade somehow isn't.

Frozen_Feet
2011-02-02, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure I can let myself be impressed with the videos before I see if I can do better with a crowbar or a normal axe. From the looks of it, they just took a weight-lifting pole and hammered it to a vaguely sword-like shape.

I bet they had fun, though. :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-02, 09:27 PM
For the life of me, I will not understand how Seifer's gunblade is stupid and Squall's gunblade somehow isn't.

Squall's gunblade has a hilt long enough to use two hands on and is somewhat straight.

Seifer's gunblade has a long blade, but uses a pistol grip that can only be held with one hand - which is at a ninety-degree angle compared to the blade.