PDA

View Full Version : Saint Alistar build help <3.5>

Tokuhara
2011-02-01, 08:26 PM
Okay, to open this up, my DM ahead of time has already allowed the racial combo, even tho y'all had a multiple page argument on it...

Here's the base:

Race: Hellbred (Body) Saint [Here's the part that's ok'ed]
Class: Paladin of Tyr 5/Knight of the Chalice 10/Ordained Champion of Tyr 5 (dunno how good this ACTUALLY is...)

Feats outside of required: Serenity, Initiate of Tyr, Knight of Tyr's Holy Judgement

Goal: Devil hunter. Plain and simple.

Questions:

1. What Devil-Touched and Exalted Feats should I choose, since I am fighting pure and simple evil?
2. I'll be S&B'ing, since I'll have weapon focus in Longsword. Did I pick a poor deity?
3. What regional should I choose.
4. We start at level 9, and are going to have something similar to anime "story archs." Mine supposedly is to eventually going to send us to the 9 Hells to face my "owner." He wants me to "pick my poison." What devil would be appropriate for around 10th-at latest 15th level?

Thanks in advance!

herrhauptmann
2011-02-01, 09:30 PM
Starting at 9th level (ECL 11), or ECL 9? Either way, it doesn't much matter to most of the questions I'm going to address.

How about a Horned Devil, or advanced Gelugon (Ice devil)? If you're asking for which Arch-devil to confront, I'm going to say "NO". Not unless you're only facing his aspect or simulacrum. Even at level 15 with an optimized party, you're too weak to actually face a Lord of the Nine and not die inside 2 rounds of combat.

You don't have to do Sword and Board with a longsword. You can wield it two-handed. Your base damage will just be slightly lower than a greatsword. On the other hand, you'll have the option of switching to single handed when you desire. Once you're 2-handing, you can use the regular PA route to up your damage to competitive levels. If it still bothers you, why not choose a lawful deity with a two-handed weapon? I'm sure one exists in Faerun.

Sounds like you're already slightly into homerules. Ask for the nimbus of light/holy radiance to deal damage to demons/devils, instead of undead. Having those will allow you to take Risen Martyr if you wish. Most people say it's not worth it. But in games where your character is vital to the storyline (particularly if resurrection is less common), getting a chance to come back and aid the party can be worth it for the 'awesome' factor. Though you may wish to retire the martyr soon, and get a slightly more playable character once the plotline is over. Plus, you've now come back from the dead twice, which is sorta funny when you think of it.

Different regions can be more beneficial depending on what your character does. I can't think of any that are worthwhile for a devilslayer. But Cormyr for Furious Charger is good, additional +2 to attack when charging. If you expect a lot of opposed rolls based on size, Damara for Jotunbrud is good.

Question:If you're a hell-bred, would you really qualify for regional feats? Especially since so many are based on race, as well as region.

Tokuhara
2011-02-01, 11:56 PM
Starting at 9th level (ECL 11), or ECL 9? Either way, it doesn't much matter to most of the questions I'm going to address.

How about a Horned Devil, or advanced Gelugon (Ice devil)? If you're asking for which Arch-devil to confront, I'm going to say "NO". Not unless you're only facing his aspect or simulacrum. Even at level 15 with an optimized party, you're too weak to actually face a Lord of the Nine and not die inside 2 rounds of combat.

You don't have to do Sword and Board with a longsword. You can wield it two-handed. Your base damage will just be slightly lower than a greatsword. On the other hand, you'll have the option of switching to single handed when you desire. Once you're 2-handing, you can use the regular PA route to up your damage to competitive levels. If it still bothers you, why not choose a lawful deity with a two-handed weapon? I'm sure one exists in Faerun.

Sounds like you're already slightly into homerules. Ask for the nimbus of light/holy radiance to deal damage to demons/devils, instead of undead. Having those will allow you to take Risen Martyr if you wish. Most people say it's not worth it. But in games where your character is vital to the storyline (particularly if resurrection is less common), getting a chance to come back and aid the party can be worth it for the 'awesome' factor. Though you may wish to retire the martyr soon, and get a slightly more playable character once the plotline is over. Plus, you've now come back from the dead twice, which is sorta funny when you think of it.

Different regions can be more beneficial depending on what your character does. I can't think of any that are worthwhile for a devilslayer. But Cormyr for Furious Charger is good, additional +2 to attack when charging. If you expect a lot of opposed rolls based on size, Damara for Jotunbrud is good.

Question:If you're a hell-bred, would you really qualify for regional feats? Especially since so many are based on race, as well as region.

1. I was actually leaning towards a lackey of either Dispater or Mephistopheles, so not a pit fiend. That has the words "you will die" tattooed on its forehead...

2. Well, there's Tyr, Heironious, the Red Knight, Nobanion (who has the Heavy Pick), Chauntea (scythe), Helm (bastard sword), Kelemvor (bastard sword), Lathander (heavy mace), Mielikki (scimitar), and Torm (greatsword). I'm leaning towards Torm or Helm

3. I like the idea of asking of Nimbus/Radiance can affect evil outsiders. Plus, since Jesus is the basis of Risen Martyr, it thematically makes sense...

4. Furious Charger seems best, especially if I do the unthinkable: getting rid of my mount... Granted, for Charging Smite, but still... And my DM said everyone, including me, gets a free Regional feat

herrhauptmann
2011-02-03, 12:32 PM
1. I was actually leaning towards a lackey of either Dispater or Mephistopheles, so not a pit fiend. That has the words "you will die" tattooed on its forehead...

2. Well, there's Tyr, Heironious, the Red Knight, Nobanion (who has the Heavy Pick), Chauntea (scythe), Helm (bastard sword), Kelemvor (bastard sword), Lathander (heavy mace), Mielikki (scimitar), and Torm (greatsword). I'm leaning towards Torm or Helm

3. I like the idea of asking of Nimbus/Radiance can affect evil outsiders. Plus, since Jesus is the basis of Risen Martyr, it thematically makes sense...

4. Furious Charger seems best, especially if I do the unthinkable: getting rid of my mount... Granted, for Charging Smite, but still... And my DM said everyone, including me, gets a free Regional feat
Glad I was able to help out.
Most regional feats are invalid due to the 3.0-> 3.5 shift, but the ones referenced in players guide to faerun, even the 3.0 ones, are completely legal for 3.5 play. (Mind you, 3.0 spellcasting prodigy was broken, so make sure the casters use the updated version)

There's also a paladinish devil slayer in Fiendish Codex (Tyrants of 9 hells) called the Hellreaver. You might want to check that one out, it also gets Mettle. Mettle is either super awesome, or near worthless, depending on which monsters your DM throws at you...

Tokuhara
2011-02-03, 08:00 PM
Glad I was able to help out.
Most regional feats are invalid due to the 3.0-> 3.5 shift, but the ones referenced in players guide to faerun, even the 3.0 ones, are completely legal for 3.5 play. (Mind you, 3.0 spellcasting prodigy was broken, so make sure the casters use the updated version)

There's also a paladinish devil slayer in Fiendish Codex (Tyrants of 9 hells) called the Hellreaver. You might want to check that one out, it also gets Mettle. Mettle is either super awesome, or near worthless, depending on which monsters your DM throws at you...

Hellreaver is FAR better than KotC. And nobody is using spellcasting prodigy.

Here's the party and their regionals:

Half-Drow Warlock (Magic in the Blood) - Focused on using his racial SLAs in tandem with his invocatons

Half-Ogre Half-Giant Barbarian [3 LA] (Jortinbrund) - BIG hammer

Human Diviner/Red Wizard (Tattoo Focus) - kinda obvious what he does....

Half-Grey Elf Half-Drow Assassin [Green Ronin] (Knifefighter) -SA every shot

Dwarf Cleric of his Ancestor [More Dragon Age-style cleric] (Born of Twin Thunders) - Uses a Heavy Morningstar (same as heavy mace, but has spikes)

herrhauptmann
2011-02-03, 08:18 PM
How is the one guy getting Jotunbrud when he's a halfgiant/half ogre (halfgiant is pretty much its own race, not a half-x template that gets thrown on top of a base race like halfminotaur)?

He does know that Jotunbrud doesn't grant a larger weapon right too?

Also, I don't think all three of those stack. Jotunbrud giving you a human who gets the +4 for size, half ogre givng an additional +4, AND larger weapon,, with halfgiant giving a third +4, AND even larger weapon.

He's going to be Large sized, wielding a gargantuan weapon before any buffs or nifty items. Expansion at this level will get him Huge, or even Gargantuan size with a Colossal+ weapon. Unless his weapon is Gold or Platinum, or he's got strongarm bracers. Which can bring him up to Large size, with Colossal+ weapon. With expansion, he'll be Gargantuan size, with a Colossal+++ weapon...

But hey, if DM said it's ok, nevermind all that.

Tokuhara
2011-02-03, 08:22 PM
How is the one guy getting Jotunbrud when he's a halfgiant/half ogre (halfgiant is pretty much its own race, not a half-x template that gets thrown on top of a base race like halfminotaur)?

He does know that Jotunbrud doesn't grant a larger weapon right too?

Also, I don't think all three of those stack. Jotunbrud giving you a human who gets the +4 for size, half ogre givng an additional +4, AND larger weapon,, with halfgiant giving a third +4, AND even larger weapon.

He's going to be Large sized, wielding a gargantuan weapon before any buffs or nifty items. Expansion at this level will get him Huge, or even Gargantuan size with a Colossal+ weapon. Unless his weapon is Gold or Platinum, or he's got strongarm bracers. Which can bring him up to Large size, with Colossal+ weapon. With expansion, he'll be Gargantuan size, with a Colossal+++ weapon...

But hey, if DM said it's ok, nevermind all that.

DM allowed it. he's actually doing a leaping smasher. he charges, leaps, and hits some poor fool over the dome. Granted, he has 7 INT, but its the humor of the build. He's Grock, the Smasher of Skulls, and took two "useless" feats: Fling Ally and Fling Foe

herrhauptmann
2011-02-03, 09:43 PM
Just thought of something really bad...
There's a feat which lets you use a thrown weapon as part of a charge. And power attack with a thrown weapon.
He's large sized.
He could get into warhulking hurler (abusive by itself), and combine that with leap attack/shocktrooper...

Tokuhara
2011-02-04, 10:17 AM
Just thought of something really bad...
There's a feat which lets you use a thrown weapon as part of a charge. And power attack with a thrown weapon.
He's large sized.
He could get into warhulking hurler (abusive by itself), and combine that with leap attack/shocktrooper...

I realize he's overpowered, but I'm asking about me, Mr. Uber-Holy Paladin

herrhauptmann
2011-02-04, 01:42 PM
Well, I dunno what you want me to tell you.
I don't really know any of the devil-touched feats, so can't help you there. Exalted feats, what I've suggested. Perhaps touch of golden ice. Now your very touch is 'poisonous' to the wicked, that includes undead and evil trees. With that, you could be a 'boxer' and still be decent enough with a little work. Hasted monk, extra arms via girallon blessing/totem binding, flurry of blows, touch attacks.
You've just caused someone to need a dozen fort saves in one round. Call it a 'gentle fist' style of combat that attacks the organs and flow of energy, rather than an iron fist that attacks bones and muscles.