PDA

View Full Version : Melee Ur-Priest build?

Master Thrower
2011-02-01, 11:15 PM
Is it possible to make a melee ur priest?
Im a 9th level character. DMM is only usable with metamagic with a +1 adjustment

dextercorvia
2011-02-01, 11:23 PM
Ur-lock?

Binder1/Warlock4/Ur-Priest2/EldritchDisciple2/HellfireWarlock3/EldritchDisciple+7/X1

You want to combine Eldritch Glaive with your favorite DMM Persist goodies. Full BAB + Nd6 Touch Attacks.

Edit:I'm not sure you can meet all the prereq's for Ur-Priest quite that quickly, but that is the idea.

Even without DMM, it is still pretty good.

gorfnab
2011-02-01, 11:49 PM
Ur-lock?

Binder1/Warlock4/Ur-Priest2/EldritchDisciple2/HellfireWarlock3/EldritchDisciple+7/X1

You want to combine Eldritch Glaive with your favorite DMM Persist goodies. Full BAB + Nd6 Touch Attacks.

Edit:I'm not sure you can meet all the prereq's for Ur-Priest quite that quickly, but that is the idea.

Even without DMM, it is still pretty good.
You can meet the prereqs if you have an Int of 16 or Human with Int of 14. Usually the Ur-Lock build I would go with: Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 8 (or Eldritch Disciple 2/ Mindbender 1/ Eldritch Disciple 5).

dextercorvia
2011-02-01, 11:57 PM
That last level of Eldritch Disciple doesn't advance Urpriest anymore. So I would trade it out for something. Mindbender works. You really want that Dark Invocation, though, so whatever needs to advance Warlock.

Contemplative would actually work. You can apply the domain to UrPriest, while advancing the 'casting' of Warlock. (The table says divine, but the text does not.)

Hammerhead
2011-02-02, 12:27 AM
Is it possible to make a melee ur priest?
Im a 9th level character. DMM is only usable with metamagic with a +1 adjustment
Easy. You're like a Cleric with slightly crummier casting, but levels free for melee classes like Crusader or Duskblade or something.

Elric VIII
2011-02-02, 12:35 AM
If you can get your DM to change the fluff requirements, Duskblade 3/Crusader 2/Ur-Priest 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Crusader 3 gets you a nice build. BAB 19, 9th level spells at level 16, and nice maneuvers. Arcane Channeling technically doesn't restrict you to either Duskblade or Arcane spells. Also, with 9th level spells only 1 level before a straight caster, you're less likely to draw the ire of your DM.

Keld Denar
2011-02-02, 01:29 AM
There's also Sacreligeous Fist, Monk2/Duskblade3/UrPriest2/SacredFist8-10/X3-5. That lets you channel UrPriest spells through your UAS, which is kinda fun. HARM PUNCH!

Runestar
2011-02-02, 06:40 AM
Ur-priest gets the same clerical buffs as a cleric, just that he gets fewer slots, so I guess it should be doable. Though at 9th lv, you get only 4th lv spells, not quite enough for divine power+quickened divine favour, and you don't get siphon spell power until lv11.

LordBlades
2011-02-02, 07:05 AM
A cool melee Ur Pries build I've played once was something like: paladin 3/can't recall what 2/Ur Priest 1/Bone knight.

This gets you Cha to saves, a skeletal mount (mostly for flavor), almost full casting and some nice immunities and abilities.

Psyren
2011-02-02, 07:47 AM
There's also Sacreligeous Fist, Monk2/Duskblade3/UrPriest2/SacredFist8-10/X3-5. That lets you channel UrPriest spells through your UAS, which is kinda fun. HARM PUNCH!

I'd revise that build - you don't need a PrC (or Duskblade) to channel touch spells through UAS, so you'd end up MAD for no reason.

Keld Denar
2011-02-02, 09:59 AM
MAD? You'd just need a 12 Int, which you'd probably need anyway just to get the skill reqs for UP. You only have 1st level spells, and 12 gets you a bonus 1st. You don't get another bonus 1st till 20 Int, which is totally not worth going for.

So...you'd just need Wisdom, Strength (which is naturally augemented by spells), and Con, and possibly a passable Cha if you want to use TU and a little Dex, although you can get lots of TU attempts through non-Cha sources.

Psyren
2011-02-02, 10:29 AM
But why go Duskblade though? You need that to channel spells through weapons, but not through punches.

Master Thrower
2011-02-02, 11:06 AM
Any thoughts on using a more stealth oriented class for a level or two, then some arcane casting, then ur-priest?

Elric VIII
2011-02-02, 11:39 AM
You can switch out Duskblade in that unarmed build for Binder, going down to 1 level of Monk and 4 Binder gets you the +2 binder feat as a bonus and allows you to bind Focalar (which is my favorite debuffer bind). It also gets you the high Fort and Will save you need for Ur Priest.

If you make your race Raptoran, then you can FALCON PAAAWWWNCH.

EDIT: Andomalius is the Rogue-based Vestige. Lerage gives a bonus on Hide, but it's more range attack oriented. Malphus gives 1/5 rounds invisibility and a bird to scout for you.

dextercorvia
2011-02-02, 01:16 PM
Any thoughts on using a more stealth oriented class for a level or two, then some arcane casting, then ur-priest?

So you want to combine Melee/Stealth/Arcane casting/Divine casting in one effective build. Do you want an Animal Companion, Invocations, and Soulmelds too? /Snark

Seriously, you can get a lot of that....

Bard1/Totemist2/Bard+2/UrPriest2/MysticTheurge3/Contemplative1/SapphireHierarch8/Soulcaster1

gets Casting as an 8th level Bard, Inspire Courage +3 - +5 (depending on buffs/items), Casting as a 10th level Urpriest, Soulmelds as an 11th level Totemist, which gives lots of Natural Attacks and Stealth boosts, and Rebuke Undead. This is a feat starved build, but I think it can be done without flaws.

Sorry, no invocations. For an Animal Companion, you could always take Wild Cohort.

Urpriest
2011-02-02, 01:24 PM
But why go Duskblade though? You need that to channel spells through weapons, but not through punches.

You can discharge a channeled touch spell through an unarmed strike, but you still need two separate actions for casting and delivery. Duskblade lets you do that with one standard action.

dextercorvia
2011-02-02, 01:28 PM
You can discharge a channeled touch spell through an unarmed strike, but you still need two separate actions for casting and delivery. Duskblade lets you do that with one standard action.

That depends on your interpretation of when you are Holding the Charge. A discussion of that would most certainly derail the thread though. So I will just say there are two schools of thought on that.

gorfnab
2011-02-02, 03:40 PM

Duskblade 3/ Monk 2/ Ur-Priest 2/ Sacred Fist 10/ Enlightened Fist 3 - gives you an extra channeling type ability.

gorfnab
2011-02-03, 12:48 AM
How about Spellthief 10 (Education and Master Spellthief feats)/ Ur-Priest 2/ Contemplative 1/ Divine Trickster (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5M5QGsJ5mpbLfAHduZG.html) 7?

MeeposFire
2011-02-03, 12:51 AM
That depends on your interpretation of when you are Holding the Charge. A discussion of that would most certainly derail the thread though. So I will just say there are two schools of thought on that.

I vote for never bringing that up in a forum ever:smallwink:. It is one of the questions just better left to ask a DM how they like it.

Zonugal
2011-02-03, 01:19 AM
A cool melee Ur Pries build I've played once was something like: paladin 3/can't recall what 2/Ur Priest 1/Bone knight.

This gets you Cha to saves, a skeletal mount (mostly for flavor), almost full casting and some nice immunities and abilities.

Something along the lines of a Human 3rd-Level Paladin of Tyranny/3rd-Level HexBlade/2nd-Level Ur-Priest/10th-Level Bone Knight?

LordBlades
2011-02-03, 02:43 AM
Something along the lines of a Human 3rd-Level Paladin of Tyranny/3rd-Level HexBlade/2nd-Level Ur-Priest/10th-Level Bone Knight?

That would also work, although I did it with straight paladin (had some BG reasons for falling). The base idea is to get Paladin 3 for Divine Grace, Divine Health and Aura of Courage (all of which you keep as a boneknigt) then add a couple of levels of whatever (as needed to fill ur-priest and bone knight requirements) and then advance ur-priest casting with bone knight.

gallagher
2011-02-03, 04:04 PM
How about Spellthief 10 (Education and Master Spellthief feats)/ Ur-Priest 2/ Contemplative 1/ Divine Trickster (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5M5QGsJ5mpbLfAHduZG.html) 7?

bah, i was hoping to suggest that. so few people ever bring up spellthief that i figured i would be the only guy in that camp (spellthief being my favorite class)

but i guess there are now two people suggesting that

EDIT: the best part of this one is that you have allies with buffs that you can steal. use this to your best advantage. buff steals can be more advantageous that stealing spells

Optimator
2011-02-03, 05:59 PM
The Sacreligious Fist is a great and fun build, but very feat-heavy. I'd say it's only appropriate for games starting at higher levels.