PDA

View Full Version : Necropolitan Martial Artist Vigilante Build (PEACH)

Talbot
2011-02-02, 06:00 AM
The Character Concept: Chaotic Good Undead Vigilante protecting the citizens of a Necromancer-run police state by punching other undead in the face.

Variant Rules in Effect: Unarmored AC Bonus, Feats every odd level instead of every third (10 total instead of 7)

The Build (so far): Necropolitan Unarmed Swordsage 1/Swashbuckler 3/Avenger (Chaotic Good Paladin variant) 2/Unarmed Swordsage +4/Shiba Protector 1/Unarmed Swordsage +4/Shadow Sun Ninja 2/Unarmed Swordsage +2

Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike (free), Educated (1), Shadowblade (H1, I was human before Necropolitan), Weapon Finesse (free at Swash 2), Adaptive Style (3), Alertness (5), Serenity (7), Iron Will (9), Expertise (11), Knowledge Devotion (13), Kung Fu Genius (15, should work with Shadow Sun Ninja as it has the Monk's AC boost), Undecided (17), Undecided (19)

Stats: Only need Wis/Dex/Int, probably in that order.

Nifty Stuff:
My To-Hit is Dex + Wis + Knowledge Devotion... so that's good.
My Damage is Str + Dex + Wis + Int + Knowledge Devotion... so that's good, too
My Ac is: Best Best Unarmored + Dex + Wis + Int... should be pretty good
My lowest save is 9+Wis, and they only get better from there.
I'm Undead, and therefore immune to loads of stuff, and coupled with Shadow Sun Ninja I can pretty much have infinite healing for me and my party outside of combat...also good.
I get two ninth level maneuvers at level 20 (one from trade out, one from selection).

Now, obviously, I'm not super optimized and I'll get worked by a tier 1 but I'll save money on armor and weapons (and get to spend it on cool wondrous items, most likely). Any suggestions for how to improve the build (without destroying the concept), or for what to do with those last two feats?

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-02, 06:03 AM
I have no idea, but I'm suddenly struck by a desire to go watch Ip Man...

Boci
2011-02-02, 07:13 AM
I don't think you get wis and dex to hit since Shiba protector allows wis instead, noty in addition, likewise on int and wis to AC, king fu genius replaces the latter with the former. How is your DM handling the unarmed swordsage, its a bit vague?

Talbot
2011-02-02, 03:01 PM
According to Shiba Protector's Entry in Oriental Adventures "Shiba Protectors add their Wisdom modifier, if positive, to their attack and damage rolls". Doesn't say anything about replacing other stats.

As for Kung Fu Genius, I'm taking it with Shadow Sun Ninja (which gets the Monk AC bonus), not Swordsage (which gets a slightly different AC bonus). Since they're untyped bonuses, they SHOULD stack, though I suppose it depends on the DM.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-02, 06:30 PM
Where's Expertise from? I'm not familiar with it.

Consider taking Superior Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack for more damage.
Consider the Intuitive Strike feat (BoED), which'll give you Wis to hit again with your unarmed strikes.

You have no real reason to take Kung Fu Genius. Normally Monk and Swordsage AC bonuses don't stack because they a) both come from a class feature called "AC bonus," and b) because SS only applies when in light armor, and Monk only applies when in no armor. Your DM may allow you to stack them, but by RAW they don't, but in any case the fact that they're both Wis-based isn't what stops them from stacking. Unless your DM rules otherwise, in which case ignore this whole paragraph.
If you do take it, there's a feat called Carmendine Monk in Champions of Valor that's gives all the benefit of Kung Fu Genius, but also lets you use Int for Stunning Fist and a couple minor bonuses.

I'd try to move Shiba Protector and Knowledge Devotion earlier in the build, but other than that it looks pretty good.

Thurbane
2011-02-02, 08:40 PM
Where's Expertise from? I'm not familiar with it.
I believe that's what Combat Expertise was called in 3.0...

MeeposFire
2011-02-02, 08:46 PM
I believe that's what Combat Expertise was called in 3.0...

Very true.