PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Planning to run E6. Need a creative/fun ways to restrict books.

Pika...
2011-02-02, 10:34 AM
So I plan on running my ongoing campaign world E6 this time. However, after seeing the mess my new DM made recently allowing everything, and based on the fact that I feel that no book limit leads to absurd muchkin combos I want to limit the number of books/sources available.

My idea (so far):
-Feats have no limits (it is E6 after all).
-Each player my bring one (1) book of their choice, be it by WotC or 3rd party, to the table. All players may use stuff from said book.
-All players my also bring to the table either A) One Dragon Magazine, B) One article from the WotC site, or C) One PDF purchased from RPGNow.com. All players may use this source.

Thoughts? Ideas?

kamikasei
2011-02-02, 10:43 AM
I feel that no book limit leads to absurd muchkin combos
I feel that munchkins lead to absurd munchkin combos. My suggestion would be to let your players draw from any source you're familiar with or for which they can provide full relevant text, and approve each character individually. That, and play with people you trust rather than people you have to police to keep them trying to slip stuff under your radar.

Kol Korran
2011-02-02, 10:47 AM
I still think that if you have players that lean that way, shenanigans will ensue. instead, i'd suggest to just talk to the players about their character ideas, and try and see if there is anything problematic.

simple, i know, but it works.

otherwise, if you want to exclude some material, do it on a theme of a sort: must fit "wild west" style, or basic "knights and wizards". or perhaps just one divine caster and one arcane caster? or any other kind of combination.

not much help, but that's my 2cp.

Gnaeus
2011-02-02, 11:00 AM
So I plan on running my ongoing campaign world E6 this time. However, after seeing the mess my new DM made recently allowing everything, and based on the fact that I feel that no book limit leads to absurd muchkin combos I want to limit the number of books/sources available.

My idea (so far):
-Feats have no limits (it is E6 after all).
-Each player my bring one (1) book of their choice, be it by WotC or 3rd party, to the table. All players may use stuff from said book.
-All players my also bring to the table either A) One Dragon Magazine, B) One article from the WotC site, or C) One PDF purchased from RPGNow.com. All players may use this source.

Thoughts? Ideas?

How about: Players may take classes from any book EXCEPT the players handbook. Spells from the players handbook will only be allowed by specific permission of the DM.

That should help.