PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Building a villain for a Halo campaign?

Christopher K.
2011-02-02, 12:39 PM
Hey y'all, after a lot of discussion with my players, I'm going to be running a Halo campaign setting I mashed together using 4e rules (with some heavy adjustments, of course). As is, everything so far is somewhat playable and balanced for both ends of the table, so that's not much of an issue. From a story perspective, though, I'm having difficulty coming up with a villain. Right now my favorite idea is of a rogue Spartan buried alive on Reach, but I'm really game for anything(the phrase "Flood-infected Tarrasque" has escaped my lips once or twice).

Any thoughts?

Yora
2011-02-02, 12:43 PM
How about coming up with a plot first?
Who are the PCs? What do they do in the game? What kind of threat would require their intervention?

When you decided on that, coming up with a memorable vilain is a lot easier.

Sipex
2011-02-02, 12:44 PM
I'd take your idea and run with it. Rogue Spartan buried alive is upset because he/she feels the spartans were left alone on Reach to die. Feels that humanity abandoned his people and doesn't see Humans and Spartans as essentially the same things.

During the campaign he somehow comes across the remains of what is essentially a terrasque and gets some flood samples to revive it.

Mando Knight
2011-02-02, 01:04 PM
Rogue Spartan buried alive is upset because he/she feels the spartans were left alone on Reach to die.
...They kinda were. Though Noble Team did it like a bunch of badasses.

Christopher K.
2011-02-02, 02:27 PM
I'd take your idea and run with it. Rogue Spartan buried alive is upset because he/she feels the spartans were left alone on Reach to die. Feels that humanity abandoned his people and doesn't see Humans and Spartans as essentially the same things.

During the campaign he somehow comes across the remains of what is essentially a terrasque and gets some flood samples to revive it.

The ironic part to that is that Humans and Spartans wound up being separate player races, anyhow, for stat purposes.

...They kinda were. Though Noble Team did it like a bunch of badasses.

That they did.

Another question for story purposes: Although not technically appropriate in the Halo setting, I'm wondering about implementing arcane and divine classes as the results of either genetic experimentation or Forerunner technology. People's thoughts?

Amnestic
2011-02-02, 02:31 PM
Another question for story purposes: Although not technically appropriate in the Halo setting, I'm wondering about implementing arcane and divine classes as the results of either genetic experimentation or Forerunner technology. People's thoughts?

A Psion would probably be more justifiable than Arcane/Divine would.

I find it a little hard to consider that a Spartan - through all of their extensive training and conditioning would go rogue against humanity simply because they were left behind. Not while maintaining their sanity anyway. Spartans went through a lot to get where they were and each one understood the risks of a deployment. They were soldiers.

Christopher K.
2011-02-02, 02:39 PM
A Psion would probably be more justifiable than Arcane/Divine would.

I find it a little hard to consider that a Spartan - through all of their extensive training and conditioning would go rogue against humanity simply because they were left behind. Not while maintaining their sanity anyway. Spartans went through a lot to get where they were and each one understood the risks of a deployment. They were soldiers.
I wasn't planning on said Spartan remaining sane if I went this route. As you said, they're conditioned for warfare and are well aware of the risks involved.

As for Psions, that makes sense, though I personally don't like them, perhaps my players would.

Amnestic
2011-02-02, 02:45 PM
I wasn't planning on said Spartan remaining sane if I went this route. As you said, they're conditioned for warfare and are well aware of the risks involved.

As for Psions, that makes sense, though I personally don't like them, perhaps my players would.

Ah, well, yes, an Insane Spartan would be effective, fluff-compatabile and utterly terrifying to face. :smalltongue:

Christopher K.
2011-02-02, 02:48 PM
Especially if he's going to go and resurrect a Tarrasque.

Amnestic
2011-02-02, 02:52 PM
Especially if he's going to go and resurrect a Tarrasque.

He should probably ride it at some point. I think you'd do him a disservice if he didn't. :smallbiggrin:

Arcane classes could work if you refluffed them a fair bit. An Artificer especially could probably fit in quite nicely. Not so sure about Divine though. There could be a "Divine" Covenant class which works off of Forerunner Tech and belief in the Great Journey and whatnot.

Mando Knight
2011-02-02, 02:56 PM

Forerunner tech can do anything.

ANYTHING.

Sipex
2011-02-02, 03:04 PM
I'd rule divine as those who work with specific fore-runner tech. IMPLEMENTS if you will.

Arcana? No clue.