PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Livespell-PEACH

Ilmryn
2011-02-02, 03:24 PM
I quite like the living spell template form MM3 and eberron, but there isn't really any magic attributable to their creation. Hence my homebrew. Thoughts?

Livespell I
Conjuration/Transmutation(summoning) [see text]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1, Bard 1, Cleric 1, Warmage 1
Components: V, S, M, Special
Casting Time: 1 full round, see text.
Range: Close
Effect: One living spell.
Duration: Concentration, 1 round/level (D)
Save/SR: no, but see text.

As you say the final words of the spell, a different spell dissapears from your memory. In front of you, that spell is given life, ready to fight for you.

This spell creates a living spell(using the MM3 template, the spells used must be legal for that template) to fight for you. You can create a living spell from one 1st level or 1d3 0th level spells(roll the die before you choose spells). You must have the spell(s) to be given life ready to cast, and they are expended as part of the casting. The casting time is either 1 full round or the spell's casting time, whichever is longer. If the spells to be given life have expensive material or xp components, those components must be provided. This spell gains any descriptors of the spell to be given life. The living spell is under your control for as long as you maintain concentration. If you lose concentration, you lose control of the living spell, but it will continue to act, attacking creatures close to it at random until the duration ends or you take a standard action to dimiss the spell. There is no save or SR against the basic summoning, but the attacks of the living spell allow saves and SR as normal.
Material component: A drop of blood and a piece of parchment with an elaborate glyph on it.
Special component: The spell(s) to be given life.

Livespell II
Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Bard 2, Cleric 2, Warmage 2

As Livespell II, but one 2nd level spell, 1d3 1st level spells, or 1d4+1 0th level spells.

Livespell III
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Bard 3, Cleric 3, Warmage 3

As Livespell I, but one 3rd level spell, 1d3 2nd level spells, or 1d4+1 1st level or lower spells.

Livespell IV
Level: Sor/Wiz 4, Bard 4, Cleric 4, Warmage 4

As Livespell I, but one 4th level spell, 1d3 3rd level spells, or 1d4+1 2nd level or lower spells.

Livespell V
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Bard 5, Cleric 5, Warmage 5

As Livespell I, but one 5th level spell, 1d3 4th level spells, or 1d4+1 3rd level or lower spells.

Livespell VI
Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Bard 6, Cleric 6, Warmage 6

As Livespell I, but one 6th level spell, 1d3 5th level spells, or 1d4+1 4th level or lower spells.

Livespell VII
Level: Sor/Wiz 7, Bard 7, Cleric 7, Warmage 7

As Livespell I, but one 7th level spell, 1d3 6th level spells, or 1d4+1 5th level or lower spells.

Livespell VIII
Level: Sor/Wiz 8, Bard 8, Cleric 8, Warmage 8

As Livespell I, but one 8th level spell, 1d3 7th level spells, or 1d4+1 6th level or lower spells.

Livespell IX
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Bard 9, Cleric 9, Warmage 9

As Livespell I, but one 9th level spell, 1d3 8th level spells, or 1d4+1 7th level or lower spells.

I might add some more stuff later, like spells for controlling or altering living spells.

PersonMan
2011-02-02, 03:30 PM
I like the idea, don't really know if it's balanced, however...

I'm getting the feeling that you've used one of these in the PbP game...

Ilmryn
2011-02-02, 08:16 PM
Anyone? No one finds this interesting?

Cheesy74
2011-02-03, 06:34 PM
Well, I might as well.
Living Spells are powerful. They get more than one use out of a spell, especially when you're fighting only one creature at a time, and the creatures this ability would spawn would have a CR roughly double that of what an equal-level Summon Monster/Nature's Ally spell would create. Also, all other summoning spells have a casting time of 1 round (takes effect on the start of the target's next turn). I think this spell should follow suit, if not have a longer casting time due to its higher power.

A way to fix it might be to allow a living spell of a caster level no more than the spell level to be created. That would limit the level of spells transformed and keep its power in line with other summoning lines.

It's an interesting idea, but as it stands, it far outclasses all other summoning spells.

Ilmryn
2011-02-04, 11:13 PM
Well, I might as well.
Living Spells are powerful. They get more than one use out of a spell, especially when you're fighting only one creature at a time, and the creatures this ability would spawn would have a CR roughly double that of what an equal-level Summon Monster/Nature's Ally spell would create. Also, all other summoning spells have a casting time of 1 round (takes effect on the start of the target's next turn). I think this spell should follow suit, if not have a longer casting time due to its higher power.

A way to fix it might be to allow a living spell of a caster level no more than the spell level to be created. That would limit the level of spells transformed and keep its power in line with other summoning lines.

It's an interesting idea, but as it stands, it far outclasses all other summoning spells.

1. It is a full round spell. I just like to put full round rather than just round to clarify.

2. Yes, it is more powerful than other summonings. But you are burning two (or more) spell slots every time you use it.

Do you think bumping it up a level would work? This would mean that V would use a 4th level spell at the highest, for example.

Also, changing the spells so they require continuous concentration should make them more balanced.

Eurus
2011-02-05, 01:12 AM
1. It is a full round spell. I just like to put full round rather than just round to clarify.

2. Yes, it is more powerful than other summonings. But you are burning two (or more) spell slots every time you use it.

Do you think bumping it up a level would work? This would mean that V would use a 4th level spell at the highest, for example.

Also, changing the spells so they require continuous concentration should make them more balanced.

Full round and 1 round are different. A spell with a full round casting time comes into effect on the same turn you use it, it just takes a full-round action. A spell with a 1 round casting time takes a full round action and the spell doesn't actually come into effect until the beginning of your next turn. So people get a chance to try to disrupt your spell by hitting you before it resolves.

Cheesy74
2011-02-05, 10:26 AM
Even two slots isn't really balancing what you're creating. Lowering it by a level would, for example, let you create a CR 8 creature with two fifth-level slots. That's still extremely powerful.

As for requiring concentration to maintain, then what's the point? The idea of summoning is to give you access to another creature's abilities in addition to your own. If you're just replacing yourself with something weaker (all you can really do is move or cast quickened spells while it's up, maybe not even quickened spells if my memory of concentration is faulty), then there's really no reason to summon it.

I think the best way to fix this would be to cap the Living Spell's caster level at the spell level and allow the caster to select from any spell he/she has prepared, rather than expend another spell slot.