PDA

View Full Version : familiars and feats

Moginheden
2011-02-02, 04:26 PM
I've read in a few threads "if your DM will let your familiar take feats take X" but I haven't seen any mention in RAW that would even hint at the possibility that someone could twist into letting a familiar take feats before epic, and then only very specific ones.

Is it just a common homebrew to allow it or is there anything remotely raw about allowing a familiar to take feats?

On a similar vein is there any way for a familiar to gain ability points in anything outside of int? I'd love to up the con score of my tiny viper by 1 to get his poison DC a little higher.

Darklady2831
2011-02-02, 04:34 PM
A tiny little "X of Y" will up his other ability scores.
And as for feats, I can't see any way why anyone would let a familiar get feats outside of those normal for his kind, Familiars aren't supposed to have alot of sway in a battle.

Runestar
2011-02-02, 07:36 PM
Familiars usually come with at least one feat, some DMs let you swap out that feat for another feat. Else, at higher lvs, there are tricks like chaos shuffle to replace those feats with other more useful ones.

Volos
2011-02-02, 07:43 PM
There is a PrC that allows you to mix your Animal Companion class feature with your Summon Familiar class feature. Other than that... no feats for familiars.

Moginheden
2011-02-02, 07:46 PM
Familiars usually come with at least one feat, some DMs let you swap out that feat for another feat. Else, at higher lvs, there are tricks like chaos shuffle to replace those feats with other more useful ones.

So with my Tiny viper it comes with improved initiative, totally useless since it goes on my turn.

You're saying some DMs will let me drop that in favor of say skill focus: poison making or improved natural weapons?

Runestar
2011-02-02, 07:52 PM
So with my Tiny viper it comes with improved initiative, totally useless since it goes on my turn.

You're saying some DMs will let me drop that in favor of say skill focus: poison making or improved natural weapons?

You will have to ask your DM for that, not me.

Mine did though. Once acquired a brass dragon familiar, DM let me take heighten breath and ability focus: breath weapon. :smallsmile: