PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Jedi defender [PEACH]

OutlawJT
2011-02-02, 05:26 PM
This is my first go at trying to homebrew anything for 4th addition so please be kind with your critiques/suggestions. I am building this class for actual use in a game I will be joining next Friday (the 11th). Here is the class basics. Powers to follow later (though most will be slightly altered versions of powers from other classes).

Jedi

Class Traits
Role: Defender. You are a versatile combatant who combines mastery of the force and of the Jedi's
signature weapon, the lightsaber, to protect your allies and the innocent. Your versatile abilities
make Leader, Striker, and Controller viable secondary roles.
Power Source: the Force. You tap into the very essence of life that connects the universe to hone
your mind and body to their peak.
Key Abilities: Wisdom, Dexterity, Charisma

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, simple ranged, military light and heavy blades, superior melee
(lightsaber)
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 15 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 6
Healing Surges per Day: 9 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: the Force. From the class skills lists below, choose four more trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Arcana (Int), Athletics (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis),
Insight (Wis), Perception (Wis)
Guardian Skill: Endurance (Con)
Consular Skill: History (Int)
Sentinel Skill: Stealth (Dex)

Build Options: Jedi Guardian, Jedi Consular, Jedi Sentinel
Class Features: Move Light Object, Jedi Reflexes, Jedi Focus

Move Light Object:
At-Will * the Force, Telekinetic
Minor Action Ranged 10
Effect: Using the Force, you can telekinetically move an object weighing up to 20 pounds or
manipulate an item that requires less than 20 pounds of force to operate. If you have a free hand you
can open and/or steady a pack, pouch, sheath, or quiver you can move the object into that container
as part of the minor action. Using this ability as a move action allows you to move an object up to
range 20 instead of range 10. Using this ability as a standard action allows you to throw an object up
to range 20 (this ability cannot be used to make a damaging attack, but can be used to create a
distant clattering sound or forcefully grab somethings attention).
If a Jedi uses this ability to call their lightsaber to them, they may also ignite the lightsaber
as part of that action. A Jedi may even use this ability to move a lightsaber they themselves have
constructed while it is attended by another individual or container with an opposed check of the
Jedi's wisdom versus the strength of the individual or container holding the lightsaber. This part of
the move light object ability can only be done up to the original range increment. You can't use a
greater action (move or standard) to increase this range.
Sustain Minor: You can sustain move light object as long as you maintain line of sight with the object
or item you are using it on.

Jedi Reflexes
While you are conscious and wearing light or no armor, your connection to the Force makes you alert to everything around you.
This alertness provides a +1 bonus to AC and Reflex defense. While wielding an ignited lightsaber, that bonus improves to +3, though the additional +2 bonus to reflex only applies against powers or abilities that target the Jedi's reflex defense individually.
If you become unconscious, your Jedi Reflexes disappear. You can restore them by taking a short or extended rest.

Jedi Focus
Through the Force, you can form a connection to a foe, allowing you to sense their intentions so that you may react swiftly when they target your allies.
Choose one of the following Jedi Focuses. Their associate powers are detailed in full below.
Guardian Focus: You leap to the attackers side, lightsaber at the ready, forcing them to either redirect the attack at you or feel the slicing sting of your blade. The power associated with this focus is 'Guardian Leap'.
Consular Focus: Using the Force you erect a shield to partially deflect some of the damage of an incoming attack. The power associated with this focus is 'Force Shield'.
Sentinel Focus: Using the Force you influence their mind to make them sluggish and clumsy. The power associated with this focus is 'Force Haze'.

Focus Powers: Guardian Leap
At-Will * the Force, Teleportation
Minor Action Range 10
Target: One creature in line of sight or line of effect
Effect: You mark the target. The target remains marked until you use this power against another
target. If you mark other creatures using other powers, the target is still marked. A creature cam be
subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark supersedes a mark that was already in place.
If your marked target makes an attack that doesn't include you as a target, it takes a -2 penalty to
attack rolls. Additionally, if the marked target is within 10 squares of you, you can use an immediate
interrupt to teleport to a square adjacent to the target. If you do so the target must either redirect it's
attack against you or take damage equal to your Dexterity modifier ignoring all resistances it may
have. In the case of an area of effect attack where it can't be redirected to exclude at least one
targeted ally the marked target automatically takes the damage. If no unoccupied space exists
adjacent to the target, you can't use this immediate interrupt.
At 11th level, increase the damage dealt to the target to 5 + your Dexterity modifier. At 21st level,
increase the damage dealt to the target to 10 + your Dexterity modifier.

Force Shield
At-Will * the Force
Minor Action Range 10
Target: One creature in line of sight or line of effect
Effect: You mark the target. The target remains marked until you use this power against another
target. If you mark other creatures using other powers, the target is still marked. A creature cam be
subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark supersedes a mark that was already in place.
If your marked target makes an attack that doesn't include you as a target, it takes a -2 penalty to
attack rolls. If that attack hits and the marked target is within 10 squares of you, you can use an
immediate interrupt to reduce the damage dealt by that attack to any one creature by an amount
equal to 5 + your Charisma modifier.
At 11th level, reduce the damage dealt by 10 + your Charisma modifier. At 21st level, reduce the
damage dealt by 15 + your Charisma modifier.

Force Haze
At-Will * the Force
Minor Action Range 10
attack rolls. If that attack hits and the marked target is within 10 squares of you, you can use an
immediate reaction to impede them. The target is slowed and cannot shift until the end of its turn.
Additionally it grants combat advantage to all allies adjacent to it until the end of your next turn.

KillianHawkeye
2011-02-02, 06:29 PM
Except for the Move Light Object power and being based on Wisdom instead of Intelligence, it seems almost identical to the Swordmage.

ninja_penguin
2011-02-02, 06:56 PM
Could you fix your formatting? It looks like you pulled this from somewhere, and there's a lot of bizarre line breaks in the middle of everything.

Also, the Jedi Reflexes expy of Swordmage warding: Should not disappear when unconscious, similar to how they've errated the Swordmage warding. Otherwise you're unable to be a good defender because of the fact that you've been doing your job, and now you lose a bunch of AC.

I don't mean to be mean with this, but:

1. Why not just refluff a swordmage.

2. Have you tried Saga edition? it's very similar to 4th edition.

OutlawJT
2011-02-02, 07:12 PM
I admit the class so far is very similar to Swordmage as that is the primary base I am using for it. There are distinct differences, however, when you actually read the details on the class features. The only thing that is identical is Force Shield copying Aegis of Shielding (aside from it being ranged 10 instead of burst 2). I assure you the farther I get into writing the powers for this class the more it will look unique. Many of them will be reworked powers from various existing classes (including many beyond Swordmage) and some will be completely unique created specifically for this class. I am not refluffing swordmage because the class, while being the closest parallel to Jedi, still doesn't adequately represent the range of abilities Jedi possess.

I apologize for any of the odd line breaks. I copied it from a word file I am using to type the full class up.

Yes, I am familiar with SAGA and love it dearly. I am creating this class for a homebrew 4th addition game I will be in starting next week, however. One with a setting that pulls heavily from Eberron, Star Wars, and various other sci-fi settings for it's inspiration.

vasharanpaladin
2011-02-02, 07:44 PM
Not Int- or Dex-primary and only one of those is a secondary. In this case, since this is a Defender, heavy armor is required.

Shadow_Elf
2011-02-02, 11:58 PM
I must speak from personal experience, classes are a lot of work. To have an innovative class that is mechanically balanced ready by next Friday is a little extreme an expectation, especially give that this is your first homebrew. I cannot recommend highly enough that you try your hand at Paragon Paths and Races to get a feel for balance in the system before you jump in and do a full-on class.

Additionally, I feel that class features sort of define a class. Having a class that replicates Swordmage in many aspects for class features but has a different power set seems like a task better handled through reflavouring.

Also, for the sake of its defender-y ness, I would have to agree with the above and say that the Jedi should be primary INT or DEX (only one, but choose) and secondary WIS, CON and/or CHA. If you want it WIS primary, you'll have to let the class use WIS for AC, because for real Jedi flavour, you cannot really have Heavy Armour.

KillianHawkeye
2011-02-03, 02:39 AM
So what does the Force skill do?

Unfortunately, there's really not much here to critique until you start posting the powers.

OutlawJT
2011-02-03, 04:19 AM
The Force skill is to force use classes what Arcana is to arcane classes and religion is to divine classes.

As to the primary abilities; I listed Wisdom first but really Dexterity and Wisdom are of nearly equal importance. When I start posting powers in the next couple days you'll see that weapon/lightsaber using powers will rely on Dexterity while force powers will rely on Wisdom. Additionally, I am going to fix the Jedi Reflexes feature to reflect the Swordmage Warding errata. I used it as a base and didn't realize there was errata for it.

To the person who voiced concern for my sanity trying to build a whole 30 level class, complete with multiple paragon paths and three potential epic destinies, by next Friday, thank you. Thankfully it will be starting at 1st level and won't be jumping to high levels quickly. For next Friday I'll only need the first 2-4 levels written out.

I promise I will reformat my intro post sometime this week so it is a little easier to read. I just had it formatted for view in a word file and that didn't translate properly. I'll shift my spacing around and add bold text appropriately to make it easier to read and more recognizable as 4.0 material.

ninja_penguin
2011-02-03, 02:23 PM
When I start posting powers in the next couple days you'll see that weapon/lightsaber using powers will rely on Dexterity while force powers will rely on Wisdom.

Just as a heads up, that's considered poor game design, similar to some gripes regarding the Paladin, Cleric, and Warlock. I think it's referred to as a V designed class, in that you have two different primary abilities that then carry a secondary rider (i.e. how none of the warlock pacts have an int primary usage, but many have riders based on your intelligence score.), where people much prefer an A designed class (such as the barbarian, warlord, or swordmage) where there is a designated primary attacking stat, and your choice of secondary stat determines build effectiveness (i.e. the reasons why a shielding swordmage concentrates on constitution, and an assault swordmage concentrates on strength)

Shadow_Elf
2011-02-03, 10:01 PM
Just as a heads up, that's considered poor game design, similar to some gripes regarding the Paladin, Cleric, and Warlock. I think it's referred to as a V designed class, in that you have two different primary abilities that then carry a secondary rider (i.e. how none of the warlock pacts have an int primary usage, but many have riders based on your intelligence score.), where people much prefer an A designed class (such as the barbarian, warlord, or swordmage) where there is a designated primary attacking stat, and your choice of secondary stat determines build effectiveness (i.e. the reasons why a shielding swordmage concentrates on constitution, and an assault swordmage concentrates on strength)

QFT. V-framework classes are not very good design. I would also advise that you work out the mechanics of the build you intend to use first before jumping onto the next bit.

Also, I cannot emphasize enough how much easier it would be for you and your DM if you play a Swordmage, reflavour your powers and take some of the Psionic cantrips from the Dark Sun Campaign Setting to replicate the Force cantrips you want.

Mando Knight
2011-02-04, 02:34 PM
Also, I cannot emphasize enough how much easier it would be for you and your DM if you play a Swordmage, reflavour your powers and take some of the Psionic cantrips from the Dark Sun Campaign Setting to replicate the Force cantrips you want.

Yeah, I'm feeling a lot of this. Swordmage with a Sunblade, the Wild Talent feat, and multiclassed Psion. You've got your telekinesis, your unarmored swordsman/tank, and your lightsaber all right there.