PDA

View Full Version : Alternate spell uses

BiblioRook
2011-02-02, 05:53 PM
I was toying around with how to get the most use out of some of the spells on my list and I started thinking about Disguse Self and it's limitations. As a rogueish kinda of charicter (even when not stright up playing rogues) I got the idea that it might be possible using a creative twist to turn that +10 Disguse into a +10 Hide.
Since the in-book example includes making a battleaxe look like a dagger, I was wondering just how far you could push the spell. Would it be possible to make yourself look like, say, a tree or a rock? Even if that's a bit to much of a stretch, what about just simply camoflaged clothing?

All that aside
What are some creative uses you've found for spells?
Be them useful or just silly and fun.

gallagher
2011-02-02, 05:58 PM
you remember that classic "boulder coming down the hallway" trap? the one that everyone runs from?

well with the proper concentration check and access to the proper spell, transmute rock-to-mud would allow you to make at least a person-sized hole in it that allows you to just stand still and let it pass over you

Greenish
2011-02-02, 06:19 PM
you remember that classic "boulder coming down the hallway" trap? the one that everyone runs from?

well with the proper concentration check and access to the proper spell, transmute rock-to-mud would allow you to make at least a person-sized hole in it that allows you to just stand still and let it pass over youBut you'd get covered in mud!

You can use a monk and a floating disc to create a fast and lightweight palanquin that won't shake the passenger even in rough ground.

gallagher
2011-02-02, 06:21 PM
But you'd get covered in mud!

You can use a monk and a floating disc to create a fast and lightweight palanquin that won't shake the passenger even in rough ground.
i was a druid. being an earth-muffin, the mud was no problem.

and who needs a floating disk? just use the monk to carry you around. bonus point if he is also a drunken master and uses you as an improvised weapon. even more points if you are a barbarian with a valorous lance

Greenish
2011-02-02, 06:24 PM
and who needs a floating disk? just use the monk to carry you around.That's undignified.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-02, 06:25 PM
The "magic weapon" spell is there so wizards with high bluff checks make cash money. "NO WHAT THIS ENCHANTMENT ISN'T TEMPORARY OF COURSE NOT!"

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-02, 06:27 PM
Scenario: Paladin is being a self righteous asshat.

Spell: Geas (You may only turn in the opposite direction you need to).

Result: The Paladin (while not hindered in doing his duty/aiding the party) is now forced to do a little spin every time he turns a corner until he promises to chill out a bit.

BiblioRook
2011-02-02, 06:28 PM
The "magic weapon" spell is there so wizards with high bluff checks make cash money. "NO WHAT THIS ENCHANTMENT ISN'T TEMPORARY OF COURSE NOT!"

See, messing with game mechanics for fun is one thing, but doing it to con NPCs seems to be a really quick way to get on the DM's bad side.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-02, 06:31 PM
Well, I mean, doing it and doing it without expecting consequences are two different things. They're going to find out in about half-an-hour, tops, that you weren't exactly honest with them. This can have repercussions. The one character I had actually do that had some towns he had to enter in disguises.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-02, 06:33 PM
See, messing with game mechanics for fun is one thing, but doing it to con NPCs seems to be a really quick way to get on the DM's bad side.
Not to mention that in a world where magic swords are common enough to sell to shopkeepers there should be measures in place to prevent this sort of thing. Maybe the sword is held by some public official for a certain waiting period before the sale goes through. You are talking thousands of gold in a world where the silver is the base currency, there will be laws and procedures for this kind of thing.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-02, 06:33 PM
Disguise Self or similar spells have always been a favourite of mine, especially if I can get a way to cast them at will. The number of times they have saved my character's hide....

I remember a thread about using Tenser's floating disk to basically make a tank that was quite an interesting idea (and technically doable).

Create water always has useful applications. Impromptu cleaning, making mud or ice, practical jokes, killing stuff...

Jair Barik
2011-02-02, 06:34 PM
Invisibility, fly, a bag of holding and a very heavy anvil (or two). Need I say more?

Greenish
2011-02-02, 06:35 PM
Not to mention that in a world where magic swords are common enough to sell to shopkeepers there should be measures in place to prevent this sort of thing.Artificer's Monocles are something I'd expect to be commonplace. It's cheaper than +1 weapon, and usable by most anyone with slightest talent in magic.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-02, 06:36 PM
Invisibility, fly, a bag of holding and a very heavy anvil (or two). Need I say more?

*bites carror* Ain't I a stinker?:smallamused: