PDA

View Full Version : Longest snow day chain

Drynwyn
2011-02-02, 09:07 PM
What's the longest chain of snow day's you've ever had, playground?
I ask because I'm on Day 2, with tomorrow already canceled.

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-02, 09:21 PM
3 days. in texas

rayne_dragon
2011-02-02, 09:22 PM
I'm jealous already... I think the most I ever had was two. The most days I've personally done nothing because of snow is probably closer to five though.

Gimliggamer
2011-02-02, 09:25 PM
0 days. In Texas.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-02-02, 09:26 PM
4 in Ohio. (Only 2 today, and I know I have school tomorrow, unless things get way, WAY worse. (Which they aren't suppose to do.)) Though, I have a friend who moved to DC last year. She had 2 weeks. :P

arguskos
2011-02-02, 09:29 PM
Best I ever got in HS was a chain that worked out to be 7 days (weekend included). See, we got Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday off for weather, then we had Friday off anyways (grading day), Saturday and Sunday (weekend), and THEN another snowstorm swept through and closed it on that Monday! Overall, was the best week of high school ever.

That was in Ohio, and was very very exceptional, to be fair.

Mauve Shirt
2011-02-02, 09:30 PM
4 days and a delay last winter, that's the longest in college. Don't remember the record for high school, probably a week.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-02, 09:33 PM
One day off, Toronto. We hardly ever cancel school. This is the first time schoolboard's been cancelled since 1999.

HOWEVER.
Do to this snowday being right after exams, and me having no exams on any exam days, I just had a 6 day weekend. :smallamused:

DeadManSleeping
2011-02-02, 09:35 PM
It was either 3 or 4, and that was in Pennsylvania.

Of course, my current school is not closing at all this week. Despite the fact that a ton of people have reported hospitalizing injuries resulting from commuting in this weather. :smallsigh:

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-02, 09:42 PM
One day off, Toronto. We hardly ever cancel school. This is the first time schoolboard's been cancelled since 1999.

HOWEVER.
Do to this snowday being right after exams, and me having no exams on any exam days, I just had a 6 day weekend. :smallamused:

does not compute

RS14
2011-02-02, 09:45 PM
My mom works in the public schools and had a full week off due to snow and ice early this year.

Atlanta does not handle ice very gracefully.

OverThoughtName
2011-02-02, 09:49 PM
I think it was somewhere around 7 school days, or an 11 day weekend, down here in North Carolina. Big ice storm a while back, knocked enough tree limbs onto power lines that power was out the entire time. Heck, the limbs in the oak trees out front nearly touched the ground and, beforehand, the lowest limb was ~8 ft. off the ground.

Fun days, those...

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-02, 09:49 PM
of course i go to school at an airport, so when they close, school closes

AtlanteanTroll
2011-02-02, 10:06 PM
Also, I might add my mom's College closed today. And her school's closed 3 times since she started teaching 27 years ago. I can only hope we have tomorrow off.

MoonCat
2011-02-02, 10:44 PM
A whole week during a blizzard in a place with a rainshadow. Cool, amiright?

HalfTangible
2011-02-02, 10:46 PM

Zero. :smallfrown:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-02, 10:49 PM
Depending on how you look at it, four or, like, nine. Five/ten if you count the day my parents called me even though it wasn't a snow day, since we lived in the mountains and eff driving to the city in that weather. That day was the day there were like 2 1/2 feet of snow in the city and like 3 1/2 in the mountains. The next day it was like 3 1/2 in the city, so from Tuesday-Friday, we were off school. The next week was Spring break. Would've been five more Snow Days, probably, but we got it off either way.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2011-02-02, 10:50 PM
There was a week, once, in Grade Nine, I believe, where the temperature ranged from "too cold for the buses to get started" and "warm enough for the buses to run but too cold to keep kids in a thin metal box for over an hour to get to/from school"

This is the Saskatchewan Snow Day. I have never seen it snow so much that the schools close. It just gets too cold to transport kids.

And anyway that's just the rural kids. Us town-dwelling farmer-spawn? Expected to be there, even though the teachers cannot teach anything because two-thirds of the class are trapped out in the countryside by wind and bone-chilling cold.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-02, 11:57 PM
Ten days. Technically eleven, but that class was canceled for another reason other than snow.

Anxe
2011-02-03, 01:03 AM
5 days, but mostly cause my teacher was a tad lazy.

AshDesert
2011-02-03, 01:13 AM
Tomorrow will be day 3, and it's already confirmed. What's weird is that I lived in Minnesota for 3 years before coming to Texas, and I had exactly 0 snow days there, even on the days (it happened twice) where windchill was -32 degrees Fahrenheit with nearly 3 feet of accumulated snow. The roads were cleared, so the school district didn't care that it was cold enough that people could literally die of exposure getting from the parking lot to the school entrance if they weren't properly clothed.

Icewalker
2011-02-03, 02:31 PM
I'm from Berkeley.

And now going to college in Los Angeles.

Yeah, can't say I've had a snow day. No snowing in these cities. Although home was close enough to drive up to the Lake Tahoe area and go skiing all the time. :smallbiggrin:

Deathslayer7
2011-02-03, 02:42 PM
Only one for the past 50 some such years here in Las Vegas. And that was because it snowed followed by nasty flooding/icing.. :smallamused:

Joran
2011-02-03, 02:49 PM
5 days, an entire school week.

January 6th, 1996, the Blizzard of 1996 hit the East Coast of the U.S. and dropped 2 feet of snow. Another storm hit January 12th, which extended the layoff until the next week.

We had two hour delays the entire following week.

For work, the worst we had here was last year, during Snowmeggedon, 2010. Federal government was closed 4 days with a liberal leave/delayed opening on Friday.

shiram
2011-02-03, 03:49 PM
During the great ice storm of 98, I think I missed 4-6 days of high school, I can't recall correctly, as it was during/near the New Year's break also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_ice_storm_of_1998

not exactly a snow day, but more of an ice week, power was out for so many people, for such a long time...

endoperez
2011-02-03, 04:12 PM
That's weird, not going to school because of snow. How much is too much? Does it have to be an actual storm, or is an inch or two enough?

I'm from Finland, and we tend to have lots of snow. This year more than usually, in many parts. However, we also have the equipment to keep the roads open through most kinds of weather, so it's a bit different here.

Deathslayer7
2011-02-03, 07:37 PM
That's weird, not going to school because of snow. How much is too much? Does it have to be an actual storm, or is an inch or two enough?

I'm from Finland, and we tend to have lots of snow. This year more than usually, in many parts. However, we also have the equipment to keep the roads open through most kinds of weather, so it's a bit different here.

That's part of the problem. It depends on location. Here in Las Vegas, we never ever get snow. So when we got snow, it was like "What the hell!?" and they closed school down because it kept snowing throughout the night. By noon the next morning it was gone, but around 6am, there was still snow on the ground. Our superintendent thought it would just be better to cancel so he did.

Reasons being: no one in Las Vegas knows how to drive in snow unless they have lived somewhere else where there is snow. Hell, we barely know how to drive in the rain <.<

We have very little snow equipment to clear the streets with and we didn't know how long the snow would go on for.

Other cities like Chicago/New York have snow equipment and can get the streets cleared of snow relatively fast.

PJ the Epic
2011-02-03, 09:12 PM
Best I ever got in HS was a chain that worked out to be 7 days (weekend included).

If we're including weekends, I had one that backed up to spring break. It was four days on its own. It was late March, too, so it all melted over Spring Break, when it was 70+ degress out.

Lady Moreta
2011-02-04, 12:25 AM
Only one alas. It never snows in Tol Honeth Christchurch...

Xyk
2011-02-04, 12:27 AM
It's only snowed for one day at a time for me. In central Texas.

We occasionally have ice days.

IsaacTheHungry
2011-02-04, 12:34 AM
5 days, an entire school week.

January 6th, 1996, the Blizzard of 1996 hit the East Coast of the U.S. and dropped 2 feet of snow. Another storm hit January 12th, which extended the layoff until the next week.

We had two hour delays the entire following week.

For work, the worst we had here was last year, during Snowmeggedon, 2010. Federal government was closed 4 days with a liberal leave/delayed opening on Friday.

Ah yes, the Blizzard of 96. I remember it fondly. The year i learned that i love to go sledding in shorts and a t-shirt :smallbiggrin:

Great memories

Zaggab
2011-02-04, 10:47 AM
2 hours is the longest I've ever gotten to be free of school because of snow. It was about 4 years ago, when a snow storm was coming in that had blown a bus off the road while it was still gaining strength, so the bus company was cancelling all tours after 12. To get us home, we were sent home early. I was supposed to end at 14 that day.

If I hadn't been depending on the buses to get myself home, I would never have been sent home.

Cyrion
2011-02-04, 10:57 AM
I had three days off in a rowin Kansas due to an ice storm in 2005. My wife just got five consecutive days off in Fort Worth, TX. Last night she got to try to help a guy who had slipped down the stairs and broken his ankle...followed by being hit by a car that slid on the ice.

shiram
2011-02-04, 11:15 AM

Well here in Quebec we do have the equipment to remove the snow, but usually what would cancel a school day is when there is a blizzard, and so visibility is bad when driving, and the roads are slippery.
Freezing rains can also cause it, as was the case for the Great Ice Storm of 98.
Also to consider the distance to go to school via bus can make it harder. I was living in a small town, and alot of very remote villages sent their kids on school bus to our town, so those roads we're more difficult to keep clear.
Hope that clarifies it a bit.

grimbold
2011-02-04, 11:33 AM
in january my friends from philly had 5 school days

Thorcrest
2011-02-04, 11:35 AM
Well, where I grew up, the ever so wonderful Ottawa Valley (Ottawa, Canada), we generally didn't cancel for snow, unless we had blowing snow that reduced visibility to an extreme, about five to ten feet. We did get a lot of ice days... days where cars could only move on the highways at about 20km per hour... when your bus ride is close to an hour, it's not going to happen at less than one quarter speed!

I think the most days off we've had was about two weeks! Damn Highways are done by the County, so the towns would be fine, but the county only ever seemed to do roads near the larger towns... which was great for us kids that didn't live near any form of civilisation!

Joran
2011-02-04, 03:22 PM

It depends on the state of the roads here. If it snows a lot or if there's icing, there's no school. I live in a half-suburban, half-rural county and they make the call based on the worst conditions. So, if the city streets are clear, but the streets in cowland are still covered in snow, then school is canceled.

The Federal government doesn't close unless our subway system (Metro) shuts down. That happened last year, but so far, nothing this year.

Partof1
2011-02-04, 06:45 PM
Well, in Alberta, It's surpising that I've gotten, i believe, 3 days off in a row.

Today, i got an ice day, because yesterday, it rained.