PDA

View Full Version : my first wizard...... curiosities

big teej
2011-02-02, 09:36 PM
greetings playgrounders
I'm making my first wizard (huzzah)

so, as I'm cruising the SRD I see this little bit of text

Unlike a bard or sorcerer, a wizard may know any number of spells. She must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying her spellbook. While studying, the wizard decides which spells to prepare.

emphasis mine

now, as I read this, this means I can have EVERY SPELL in my spellbook

is this correct? is there a limit of some sort?

or can I go ahead and just cast from any/all of my sources?

on a COMPLETELY unrelated note
how hard is it to optimize archery with the following sources?
BOVD
Races of Stone
MM I & II
BOED
DMG I & II (II is 3.0)
A&EG
Deities and Demigods
PHB
Masters of the Wild
Cityscape

the character is a Half-Elf Ranger that has gone the bow combat style route
this is for one of my players

Lateral
2011-02-02, 09:40 PM
The only limits are space in your spellbook, the cost of scribing, and finding spells.

Kuma Kode
2011-02-02, 09:44 PM
It means there's no mechanical limit to your spells. Sorcerers may know a certain number of spells as indicated on their table. A wizard can continue to add more spells to his books so long as he has enough resources (time and gold, primarily). Adding a spell to your book beyond the 2 free ones you get per level is 100 GP per spell level. Hard for a low level wizard, but chump change to most mid to high wizards.

big teej
2011-02-02, 09:51 PM
ha, I feel dumb, didn't see this bit

A wizard must study her spellbook each day to prepare her spells. She cannot prepare any spell not recorded in her spellbook, except for read magic, which all wizards can prepare from memory.

A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from her prohibited school or schools, if any; see School Specialization, below) plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook. At any time, a wizard can also add spells found in other wizards’ spellbooks to her own.

so if I understand this right
I have ALL 0 level spells, period stop

plus....

okay I think I get it :smallbiggrin:

and if I understand it correctly, (thanks to :vaarsuvius: )
it costs spell level x 100 GP to scribe a spell correct?

how much attention do most DMs pay to # of pages?
how many pages does a spellbook have?

anything else someone who has never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER, played a caster before should know?

EvilJoe15
2011-02-02, 09:59 PM
Yes that's right, and you should buy a blessed book when you can. A spell book has 100 pages, but the aforementioned blessed book has 1,000, and you don't need to pay to scribe them.

Also you should read these:

Logicninja's Being Batman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002)

Treantmonk's Being a God (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God)

rayne_dragon
2011-02-02, 10:00 PM
Spellbook, Wizard’s (Blank)
A spellbook has 100 pages of parchment, and each spell takes up one page per spell level (one page each for 0-level spells).

It varies a lot from DM to DM on if they'll be picky about keeping track of pages, but spellbooks are (relatively) cheap and by the time you need more than one, you should have extradimensional storage and not need to worry about weight.

As for other advice... I recommend reading a thread about wizards to get some idea for what kind of spells might work for you. Sometimes spells look great on paper, but don't seem nearly as useful in play.

big teej
2011-02-02, 10:14 PM
Yes that's right, and you should buy a blessed book when you can. A spell book has 100 pages, but the aforementioned blessed book has 1,000, and you don't need to pay to scribe them.

Also you should read these:

Logicninja's Being Batman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002)

Treantmonk's Being a God (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God)

not really looking to be batman or a god.

just making sure I know how to play the class legally and understand the basic mechanics of the class...

I'm a huge fan of self-discovery, especially when it comes to GAME BREAKING ULTIMATE POWER!!!

It varies a lot from DM to DM on if they'll be picky about keeping track of pages, but spellbooks are (relatively) cheap and by the time you need more than one, you should have extradimensional storage and not need to worry about weight.

As for other advice... I recommend reading a thread about wizards to get some idea for what kind of spells might work for you. Sometimes spells look great on paper, but don't seem nearly as useful in play.

as mentioned, not really looking for advice, just the basics to play the game legally.

I'm a huge fan of self discovery, if I'm going to break the game, I wanna do it on my own.