PDA

View Full Version : Sunless Citadel or Hallows Last Hope?

Ozreth
2011-02-02, 09:56 PM
Which is better?

Also, can anybody tell me about the Freeport adventure path?

Thanks!

LansXero
2011-02-02, 10:38 PM
Hallow's Last Hope ties-in to other two adventures iirc: Crown of the Kobold King and Return of the Kobold King. All in all, it was interesting I thought and pretty simple for low level characters. I ended up changing it a lot from the module though, but it provides a very obvious time-limit for you to use to stop PCs from wandering around / resting after a few mins of activity.

Death in Freeport is, in my opinion, a very well built low level adventure. It was my introduction to the system and I think it mixes very well the RP and combat aspects of the game. Most of the adventure is based around objectives, and you dont actually need to kill all that much to achieve your goals. Also comes with a time-limit, which is nice. There is a very unfair trap in the second module though, so beware of that, its very easy to TPK a newbish party with it.

Ozreth
2011-02-03, 12:32 AM
Hm for some reason I thought there was a lengthy Freeport adventure path, didn't know it was just one module. Also thought I read something about one book collection all of the adventures and updating them to 3.5. I could be thinking of something totally different.

I'm leaning towards SC but we'll see.

LansXero
2011-02-03, 01:43 AM
Hm for some reason I thought there was a lengthy Freeport adventure path, didn't know it was just one module. Also thought I read something about one book collection all of the adventures and updating them to 3.5. I could be thinking of something totally different.

I'm leaning towards SC but we'll see.

Its two low level modules then a mid level one, plus an enviromental suplement, iirc. You can get it from Green Ronin.

Ozreth
2011-02-03, 01:53 AM
I see! Looks like the Green Ronin site only has the PDF for sale, but I found it on Amazon (bummed its paperback). Might pick it up, your review makes it sound perfect : )

What level range is the first adventure? Is it lengthy?

LansXero
2011-02-03, 01:57 AM
Not quite lengthy although there are a lot of ways for PCs to get side-tracked. Ingame Depending on how much you reward roleplaying with exp. it can last from lvl 1 to around 3 Id guess. Second module ties in right where the first left off, and its a bit longer.

dsmiles
2011-02-03, 08:16 AM
I've played the Sunless Citadel adventure path, and I'll endorse it. But to get any fun out of it (since it's mostly just a dungeon crawl) you kind of have to deviate from the pre-written text. I'm sure you've seen at least one of my posts about the party (party, hell, it was just me and a cleric) I was in when I ran through it. We were evil, and the end result was our enslaved kobold army took over the small town you start in.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, I'm running it this weekend for a couple of friends. I'm thinking about doing a campaign journal for it.

Ozreth
2011-02-03, 10:19 AM
I've played the Sunless Citadel adventure path, and I'll endorse it. But to get any fun out of it (since it's mostly just a dungeon crawl) you kind of have to deviate from the pre-written text. I'm sure you've seen at least one of my posts about the party (party, hell, it was just me and a cleric) I was in when I ran through it. We were evil, and the end result was our enslaved kobold army took over the small town you start in.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, I'm running it this weekend for a couple of friends. I'm thinking about doing a campaign journal for it.

Cool : ) I'm not too worried about it being dungeon crawly as it's all mostly new players in the game. They'll probably have fun no matter what.

What do you guys think about the "sequels" to this module? The Forge of Fury etc?

RagnaroksChosen
2011-02-03, 11:09 AM
Sunless Citadel Hands DOWN!!!

Its my favorite first level adventure. I wasn't a fan of death in freeport or what not... Prolly because i have a wicked stigma around freeport being an ex EQ player(i hated that city)...

I've run sunless for newer players and vets and its awsome eaither way. Some great RP moments as well... especialy if you play up the whole goblins VS kobold things... both my groups ended up being overly protective of the kobolds... it was very amusing.

I havn't played forge of fury. I wanted to, I've read it and it looks good.. I ran or played in the one after forge of fury.