PDA

View Full Version : Breaking my head on lines of sights (Dnd 3.5)

Laharal
2011-02-02, 10:54 PM
Hi!

I know/read rules about cover, low walls, shooting into melee, line of sight etc etc.
I know that if you shoot at someone in melee or behind cover you have penalties and /or the defender has bonus to AC.
I still have problems understanding/adjucating situations where something is between the attacker and the defender in a ranged attack.

That something is not a wall, low wall or something that blocks totally LOS.
Best example of that are trees: rules are that regular trees provide a +2 AC to someone in the same square. Massive trees provide cover to a person in a square next to it....
However what do you do if there are trees (or massive ones) between you and your target (and the target isn't in the same square of a regular tree or next to a massive one)? I don't feel that ignoring that wouldn't be logical/right.

I give importance to this question because I like to draw maps that fell organic i-e not blank, I want to provide terrain features for both PCs and fooder ennemies to play with and trees are cool :smallbiggrin:

By my feeling I'd give a +2 AC(for regular tree, +4 for a massive one) to the defender even if he isn't in the same square as the tree because logically speaking: c'mon! : there is a frigging tree between you and your target.

I know some will say 'you are the DM, call it a house rule and that's over'' but I want to know if it makes sense to most of you or if it is ok by the rules but that I haven't figured that out yet. Or maybe I'm just waaaaay wrong.

If is there an ''official'' answer to this please state it and the ref, if not explain your desicion ;)

LansXero
2011-02-02, 10:57 PM
By my feeling I'd give a +2 AC to the defender even if he isn't in the same square as the tree because logically speaking: c'mon! : there is a frigging tree between you and your target.

From what I can remember you take the closer corners of the characters involved and trace a line. if that line hits a something, they have no LoS to each other. If that something isnt too big, its partial cover. Seems pretty simple, right?

So, trees that get in your way would be partial cover; full cover if you are right behind it/ its a very big tree or lots of folliage / etc. I think.