PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Essentia Capacity?

Road_Runner
2011-02-02, 11:23 PM
So I'm really interested in the Incarnum system but I was reading Sinfire's awesome handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19862398/The_Incarnum_Handbook) and a few things seem a little off...

It seems to me that the highest your soulmeld capacity can go is 7 (4 from being level 18, + 2 from either improved incarnate soulmeld capactity or improved totem capacity, and then + 1 from the Expanded soulmeld capacity feat)....

Yet there are several example throughout that handbook that suggest otherwise...

Bloodwar Gauntlets: The bonuses to attacks and damage is a little on the weak side, but the explosion is nice seeing as you can easily get it up to 24d6.

It deals 3d6 per point of essentia, how can you "easily" get to 8 essentia invested?

Fellmist Robe: The best offense is a good defense, you know? This can get you a concealment of 50% easily.

...again Fellmist robe gives 10% concealment +5% per point of essentia, meaning you'd need 8 points of essentia to get it that high.

The handbook writer I'm sure is very experienced and has 5k posts, so I'm assuming he is correct. Furthermore the Magic of Incarnum book itself has in the description for the fellmist robe "up to a maximum of 50%". The fact that it sets a maximum suggests that there would be a way to get over 8 essentia....

Guys help me out, what am I missing here?

Reynard
2011-02-02, 11:49 PM
There are magic items, which are technically slotless in an odd way, that boost your max Essentia in a slot by one.

There's one for each chakra, but they don't actually take up that slot for the purposes of using magic items/soulmelds.

Andion Isurand
2011-02-02, 11:51 PM
You can use the Divine Soultouch feat to boost the maximum of your essentia capacity in all essentia related abilities by 1 for a round.

MeeposFire
2011-02-03, 12:31 AM
4 from leveling, 1 from an item, 1 for a feat, and 2 from being an incarnate and leveling gives you 8.

you get the same for totemists.

Zaq
2011-02-03, 02:00 AM
Incandescent Champion has an ability that lets you increase your capacity by your CHA mod a certain number of times per day, and we all know how high something like that can get if you optimize for it. Unfortunately, this is almost unusable outside of gestalt, because Incandescent Champion doesn't advance meldshaping and is really hard for Incarnates to get into (easier for Totemists, but they have better things to do. As do Incarnates, but I digress).