PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a Character: Shifter

Elric VIII
2011-02-03, 05:37 AM
Recently I have been called to help design characters for friends and this got me to thinking that I would like to try and finish some of my half-complete character profiles.

Right now I would like to address a Shifter character of mine.

The Build:

Razorclaw Shifter with 2 flaws.
{table=head] Level | Class | Feats | Requirements
1| Wildshape Ranger | Razorclaw Elite, Shifter Ferocity, Extra Shifter Trait: Longstride | -
2| Hit-and-Run Fighter 1 | Improved Unarmed Strike | -
3| Hit-and-Run Fighter 2 | Superior Unarmed Strike | BAB +3
4| Warblade 1 | - | -
5| Warshaper 1 | - | BAB +4
6| Weretouched Master 1 | Shifter Multiattack | BAB +4, Survival 8, K (nature) 5
7| Weretouched Master 2 | Great Rend | -
8| Weretouched Master 3 | - | -
9| Weretouched Master 4 | Snap Kick, Shifter Acrobatics | BAB +6
10| Weretouched Master 5 | - | -
11| Bloodclaw Master 1 | - | Jump 9, Multiattack
12| Warshaper 2 | Beast Strike | -
13| Warshaper 3 | - | -
14| Warshaper 4 | - | -
[/table]

The character is supposed to be a Shifter that struggles with controlling his bestial nature. He essentially does not accept his lycanthrope heritage. He turns to martial study, in order to give him discipline control his primal nature, in the form of Fighter training. Warblade represents the beginning of the acceptance of his nature by blending his martial training with his bestial instincts (Tiger Claw focus). He eventually comes to terms with his shifting abilities, learning to use them in combat (Warshaper/Bloodclaw Master/Weretouched Master).

That's where I get stuck. I cannot find anything I like for the last 6 levels. My default choice it to just finish up Warblade, since Bloodclaw Master doesn't help me that much for levels 2-4. I would like something that focuses on the lycanthrope aspect of the character, but not classes with separate polymorph/wildshape abilities. I don't want to use Reachrunner because it doesn't fit with the concept and I'm already low on feats. Does anyone have suggestions to finish it up?

Also, I'm not crazy about the Ranger part. I need it as it is the only class that gets me +1 BAB, Survival, and K (nature). I chose the Wildshape variant because Fast Movement is decent and the Shifter sub level is contrary to my character's personality (he is angry at himself and takes it out on those around him, so a poor Wild Empathy check actually works for me). Is there another class that fits the specifications of +1 BAB, Survival and K (nature)?

Also, are the Healing Factor, Shifter Defense, and Greater Shifter Defense feats worth it?

While I've already received help with the bulk of the build, I am still open to suggestions for improvement.

Eiko
2011-02-03, 06:56 AM
Why not take a couple levels of warlock and pick up the eldritch claw feat from Dragon.

It gives you a claw attack of your fist damage plus your eldritch blast. With the beast strike you already have this basicly means you get your unarmed strike damage twice on all unarmed attacks (which is win) and a extra d6 or two.

Elric VIII
2011-02-03, 12:27 PM
That's actually a pretty cool. I'm using a mount-cohort with levels in Warlock and it's awesome with eldritch hooves. I'm not sure that I want to use Warlock again, but this is a better choice than more levels of Warblade, since Tiger Claw maneuvers don't scale well and it will be hard to adopt a second discipline at that point.

true_shinken
2011-02-03, 12:38 PM
That's actually a pretty cool. I'm using a mount-cohort with levels in Warlock and it's awesome with eldritch hooves. I'm not sure that I want to use Warlock again, but this is a better choice than more levels of Warblade, since Tiger Claw maneuvers don't scale well and it will be hard to adopt a second discipline at that point.

You could get Wildshape Ranger to 5 and then go into Master of Many Forms. Why are using just one level of an ACF that only comes up at 5th, anyway?

Elric VIII
2011-02-03, 12:58 PM
You could get Wildshape Ranger to 5 and then go into Master of Many Forms. Why are using just one level of an ACF that only comes up at 5th, anyway?

I get Fast Movement. I mostly want to focus on Shifting, but is there a way to convert Wildshape to Shifting?

Master_Rahl22
2011-02-03, 02:05 PM
You could go into Totemist for MOAR ATTACKS. Just a thought. :smallbiggrin:

Warblade is a decent choice, and you could always grab some Diamond Mind maneuvers since it's an awesome discipline. If you'd rather not have to pump Concentration, there's also Iron Heart and White Raven which generally don't have any skill checks involved and are very good disciplines.

Elric VIII
2011-02-03, 02:50 PM
You could go into Totemist for MOAR ATTACKS. Just a thought. :smallbiggrin:

That is an excelent suggestion. The mastery of chakras could very well stem from the instinct that allows him to control his physiology. Mechanically, Girallon Arms would be great since I get full strength added to my claw attacks from Bloodclaw Master. I think I'm going to do this.

Master_Rahl22
2011-02-03, 03:28 PM
Wow, now I think I need to play a Shifter Warblade/Bloodclaw Master/Totemist cause that does indeed look cool. You could even manage with just the one level of Warblade and one of BCM so you don't delay your meldshaping progression too much.

Person_Man
2011-02-03, 04:10 PM
Healing Factor, Shifter Defense, and Greater Shifter Defense are most definitely not worth spending feats on.

Are you intending to use the errata'd Weretouched Master, or the un-errata'd weretouched master? The un-errata'd version (what's printed in the book) is much stronger. In general, either is a solid choice if you're playing around ECL 6-10ish, but becomes less useful as you gain levels compared to soulmelds, Wildshape, etc.

Aside from that, I would say that to me, your build seems like a cludgy mess. You basically end up with a jumble of weak natural weapons and unarmed strikes, misspent bonus feats, low level maneuvers, and moderate buffs. I would personally go with Warblade 20, Druid 20, Wildshape Ranger 20, Totemist 20, Warblade 20, or Psychic Warrior 20 (or some variation of those classes with prestige classes that fully progress their primary ability). Rampant dipping can be a good optimization strategy for low to mid level melee builds, but if you're actually going to level 20, then it's more optimal to focus on a scaled ability (Wildshape, spells, soulmelds, psionics, blade magic, or vestiges) and go with it the whole way.

Elric VIII
2011-02-03, 05:08 PM
Healing Factor, Shifter Defense, and Greater Shifter Defense are most definitely not worth spending feats on.

Are you intending to use the errata'd Weretouched Master, or the un-errata'd weretouched master? The un-errata'd version (what's printed in the book) is much stronger. In general, either is a solid choice if you're playing around ECL 6-10ish, but becomes less useful as you gain levels compared to soulmelds, Wildshape, etc.

Aside from that, I would say that to me, your build seems like a cludgy mess. You basically end up with a jumble of weak natural weapons and unarmed strikes, misspent bonus feats, low level maneuvers, and moderate buffs. I would personally go with Warblade 20, Druid 20, Wildshape Ranger 20, Totemist 20, Warblade 20, or Psychic Warrior 20 (or some variation of those classes with prestige classes that fully progress their primary ability). Rampant dipping can be a good optimization strategy for low to mid level melee builds, but if you're actually going to level 20, then it's more optimal to focus on a scaled ability (Wildshape, spells, soulmelds, psionics, blade magic, or vestiges) and go with it the whole way.

What is the errata on Weretouched Master?

The purpose of the build was to just try and power up my shifting as much as possible. I like the King of Smack and Totemist and Shifter, but I figured I should try and focus mostly on one aspect.

At level 14 I will most likely have 18 Str and 16 Con. I will be able to shift 8/day, gaining +16 Str, +4 Dex and +6 Con, for 12 rounds each. While shifting I will have +10 BAB and be able to attack with +20/+20/+15 [3d10 + 2.5*Str] (unarmed damage + snap kick) + [3d8 + 9 + Str*3] (Beast Strike) and + 18/+18 [2d8 + 6 + Str*2] (Claw Attacks).

This ends up being 5d8 + 3d10 + 45 (+ 5*Amulet of Mighty Fists enhancement). I have read that it's possible to make unarmed and claw attacks in the same round, so that's where I get the attacks.

I'm not actually planning this for a 1-20 campaign, but catering to my slight obsessiveness I wanted to have a complete 20 level build. Although it is totally possible that this build will be as OP as the core Monk. :smallbiggrin: