PDA

View Full Version : The oddest food you REALLY, REALLY like?

Shadow of the Sun
2011-02-03, 09:28 AM
This thread is pretty easy to get- exactly what it says on the tin.

For me, it's not a food, it's a drink. I LOVE drinking a mix of water and vinegar, probably around 4 parts water to one part vinegar. I dunno why. It's brilliant.

factotum
2011-02-03, 09:35 AM
Difficult to say, really. A lot of people make faces when I say I'm fond of banana sandwiches, but I don't consider that to be an odd food! :smallwink:

Serpentine
2011-02-03, 10:28 AM
Raw baked goods. Biscuit/cookie dough, pancake batter, cake mix, bread dough. I suspect that I like the raw product more than the final one, but I always feel bad at the idea of just making a batch of pancake batter to eat as-is... I'm not sure why, it's not as though cooking makes it better for you or anything :smallconfused:

Manga Shoggoth
2011-02-03, 10:35 AM
Difficult to say, really. A lot of people make faces when I say I'm fond of banana sandwiches, but I don't consider that to be an odd food! :smallwink:

Especially with honey. One of the sandwich shops in London had sufficient demand for it to be an option on the menu...

VioletRice
2011-02-03, 10:44 AM
Kale crisps with maple syrup and coconut shavings. Yum.

Serpentine
2011-02-03, 10:45 AM
My mum makes toast with sliced banana, maple syrup, mixed seeds and... I think cottage or cream cheese. Nice snack.

Form
2011-02-03, 10:48 AM
I've found that bread and crisps make a surprisingly good combination.

Fri
2011-02-03, 10:54 AM

For me, it's not a food, it's a drink. I LOVE drinking a mix of water and vinegar, probably around 4 parts water to one part vinegar. I dunno why. It's brilliant.

I think it's actually a traditional drink. So at least you can rest easy that some times in the past, some people have similar taste with you. Let me see whether I can find what it's called

Shadow of the Sun
2011-02-03, 10:57 AM
Roman legionaries drank a mix of vinegar and water called posca.

I'm more just saying it's very odd these days.

Kuma Da
2011-02-03, 11:01 AM

That's a health-drink, too. Try it with apple-cider vinegar.

Personally, I think it's the most horrible concoction known to man, but that has to mean it's good for you. Right? :smallamused:

Of course, I really shouldn't be critiquing anyone else's food choices. I like natou, and that stuff is literally evil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natou

Geno9999
2011-02-03, 11:01 AM
Raw baked goods. Biscuit/cookie dough, pancake batter, cake mix, bread dough. I suspect that I like the raw product more than the final one, but I always feel bad at the idea of just making a batch of pancake batter to eat as-is... I'm not sure why, it's not as though cooking makes it better for you or anything :smallconfused:

If it helps, I like to eat cookie dough. I normally prefer oatmeal or double chocolate cookies, but if the cookie is in dough form, I'll eat it. I guess there's a reason why Cookie Dough is an ice cream flavor.
Probably not as odd as anyone elses, but I've had a macaroni and pizza cross between a couple times, and it tasted good. Simply mix your favorite Mac & Cheese, pizza sauce, any toppings you like, then cook it and it's done!

Isak
2011-02-03, 11:16 AM
Eating raw cookie dough is fairly common around here... :smallconfused:

I once accidentally poured a fair amount of Sugar onto my french fries. Not wanting to waste them, I decided to still eat them. Little bit of ketchup, and they came out quite good :smallbiggrin:

Also; Plain Hamburgers. People always look at me weird when I tell them, but I HATE Cheese on my Hamburgers. The only toppings I MAY order are Lettuce, Pickles, and Ketchup. But no cheese.

Castaras
2011-02-03, 11:17 AM
I've always had my friends go "Ewww" when I say I like sandwiches with ham and pickle/chutney. Doesn't seem weird to me. :smallconfused:

PanNarrans
2011-02-03, 11:24 AM
Nothing really weird, but I'll go to Subway and have a jalapeno, olives, onion, gherkin and chilli sauce sandwich. Yum.

arguskos
2011-02-03, 11:25 AM
Hmm. Stuff that's odd, that I yet liked? Let's see:

Lassi, considered odd here in Ohio, is awesome. It's not very high on the strange-o-meter in general though, so it doesn't count.

Rattlesnake was pretty good. A bit stringy, but good. Had it filleted and grilled, marinated in a sauce I still have been unable to identify nor duplicate, sorta tangy yet sweet, I think it was a variant on plum sauce, but don't quote me.

The sugar-coated ants were surprisingly tasty. And great for you, amazingly.

The live scorpions were... well, they were an experience, I'll give it that. They weren't *bad*, per say, but they weren't fantastic or anything. I guess I liked them. Would rate 5/10, would probably not buy again, but would recommend once.

The buffalo jerky I buy every chance I get at a local butcher is utterly fantastic. It's not "odd" in the normal sense, more that few people ever manage to acquire buffalo jerky.

Cespenar
2011-02-03, 11:25 AM
Not quite odd, but people still give me the occasional weird glance when I put lots of black pepper on plain yogurt.

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-03, 11:47 AM

That's not weird. Hell...I love raw croissant dough...when I make them, I'm usually one less than came in the tube...

THAC0
2011-02-03, 12:06 PM
Moose and ptarmigan? Some people think it's weird, anyway.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-03, 12:09 PM

If it contains eggs then cooking it will remove the risk of contaminating* Salmonella and a few other diseases you can get from raw eggs.

And Now you know!

I don't think I have any odd foods I like, liver paté with pickles is pretty normal and that's the weirdest food I like sans hamburgers.

I am willing to try most that doesn't come from insects, arachnids, insect-looking stuff, genitalia, animal cruelty or excrements.

So mainly vegetables. :smalltongue:

*Am I using that word right?

Haruki-kun
2011-02-03, 12:22 PM

That's not odd at all. :smalltongue: Dough is the best.

Me... I like coconut water. I don't klnow many other people who do. Most people find it disgusting. Some even say "coconut water is only good if you throw it on your hair!"

Which it is, but it's also delicious and refreshing as far as I'm concerned. :smallcool:

valadil
2011-02-03, 12:33 PM
Also; Plain Hamburgers. People always look at me weird when I tell them, but I HATE Cheese on my Hamburgers. The only toppings I MAY order are Lettuce, Pickles, and Ketchup. But no cheese.

Yup. I don't really taste the cheese on a burger. I just get the melted waxy texture. I get other toppings though.

One of my favorite snacks is pickles with mustard.

One of my favorite meals is a stir fry of pepper, onion, and mushroom in soy sauce, lime juice, and turmeric. It's basically a celebration of things my wife won't eat and I have it whenever she gets dinner with friends and leaves me to fend for myself.

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-03, 12:41 PM
fried bologna and peanut butter sandwich.

raitalin
2011-02-03, 12:51 PM
I'll throw just about anything on pizza dough. Cream cheese and fruit, black pepper chicken alfredo, pesto, barbecue chicken, seafood medley, steak, onion, jalapeño and mushroom, chicken bacon ranch, barbecue venison, macaroni and cheese, scalloped potatoes and turkey, thai stir fry... and just about every combination of traditional ingredients you can think of.

Jan Mattys
2011-02-03, 12:52 PM
I eat Casu Marzu (http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_the-6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html) (#5 on the list) every time I get the chance to.

And really, it's not as terrible as the cracked article paints it. And the taste is awesome.

arguskos
2011-02-03, 01:09 PM
I eat Casu Marzu (http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_the-6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html) (#5 on the list) every time I get the chance to.

And really, it's not as terrible as the cracked article paints it. And the taste is awesome.
Agreed. It's surprisingly alright. Of course, being illegal in like a dozen countries causes availability issues.

grimbold
2011-02-03, 01:14 PM
theyre not odd persay
its just that many people (like me) are not fond of bananas

i really like squid, some people find that odd, i also enjoy escargots, people find that odd as well
my third is mildly disturbing but i have no problem with it, it does not exist outside of france
basically its a sausage made with centrifuged blood cells from pigs

Jack Squat
2011-02-03, 02:05 PM
Sweedish fish and spray/nacho cheese

Tuna and cottage cheese

Peanut butter and swiss cheese sandwiches

baked beans in soup.

a beef chili on spaghetti, topped with cheddar cheese. (OK, not that wierd, it's a regional favorite of my hometown - but people down here don't get it).

arguskos
2011-02-03, 02:09 PM
a beef chili on spaghetti, topped with cheddar cheese. (OK, not that wierd, it's a regional favorite of my hometown - but people down here don't get it).
I introduced Skyline to some friends in Dallas. It went amazingly, and now they're hooked on it. :smallbiggrin:

I don't know how anyone can't love it.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-03, 02:21 PM
I like peanut butter and tomatoes sandwiches. A little salt on the tomatoes, a little chilli powder, and a droozle of sriracha sauce.
Now by peanut butter, I mean the stuff that is just peanuts with maybe some salt, the stuff with the shortening and sugar is just too sweet and smooth to use in savoury concoctions. Its just too sweet and smooth period in fact.
I also like to add a little peanut butter and raspberry jam as a topping, along with more traditional additions, when I have a beef burger. The tart sweetness of the jam and the creamy yet gritty nuttiness of the peanut butter go very well with a beef burger in my opinion.

ThirdEmperor
2011-02-03, 02:25 PM
Salmon custard.

arguskos
2011-02-03, 02:27 PM
I also like to add a little peanut butter and raspberry jam as a topping, along with more traditional additions, when I have a beef burger. The tart sweetness of the jam and the creamy yet gritty nuttiness of the peanut butter go very well with a beef burger in my opinion.
What brands of jam and PB do you use for this, and what other toppings do you include? I'm deeply curious.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-03, 03:04 PM

Not as terrible? Maggots can do what it says, can't they? Try to dig through your intestines and all.

If they can then it's worse than they say, to me, 'cause that can kill you. (O.O)

If not, then eat on. It doesn't sound worse in that regard than any other weird cheese, except maggots creep me out. But that's just me. :smallsmile:

But back to odd foods, Danish meatballs on spaghetti is surprisingly tasty. :smallsmile:

Yora
2011-02-03, 03:16 PM
I recently discoverred croisant with powdered sugar by accident, when I bought some things at the baker and had it all put into one bag.
Very tasty.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-03, 03:20 PM
My friends seem to think I'm weird because I like dragon fruit and lychee juice. What I like that is rather weird is ice cream with chocolate drink mix or ice tea mix dusted on top.

shawnhcorey
2011-02-03, 03:24 PM
I like a dab of yellow mustard on my tomato slices.

TheThan
2011-02-03, 03:30 PM
Hmm. Stuff that's odd, that I yet liked? Let's see:
Rattlesnake was pretty good. A bit stringy, but good. Had it filleted and grilled, marinated in a sauce I still have been unable to identify nor duplicate, sorta tangy yet sweet, I think it was a variant on plum sauce, but don't quote me.

I’ve had smoked rattlesnake, and it was indeed pretty tasty. It really does taste sort of like chicken but that was a long time ago and memory does indeed fade. Your description of this grilled rattlesnake intrigues me.

Joran
2011-02-03, 03:41 PM
That's a health-drink, too. Try it with apple-cider vinegar.

Personally, I think it's the most horrible concoction known to man, but that has to mean it's good for you. Right? :smallamused:

Of course, I really shouldn't be critiquing anyone else's food choices. I like natou, and that stuff is literally evil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natou

The Koreans have drinkable vinegar as welll; it was pretty tasty, similar to lemonade.

Stinky tofu, which I'm told smells like sewage is very tasty. Thankfully, my sense of smell is quite bad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu

MoonCat
2011-02-03, 03:46 PM
Raw lemons with salt.

My brother's is strawberries dipped in vinegar.

arguskos
2011-02-03, 03:47 PM
I’ve had smoked rattlesnake, and it was indeed pretty tasty. It really does taste sort of like chicken but that was a long time ago and memory does indeed fade. Your description of this grilled rattlesnake intrigues me.
Smoked? Smoked could be good.

Apparently, what they did was fillet it, de-scale it, then marinate and grill it quickly over very high heat. It came out piping hot (it was smoking slightly, it was seriously hot stuff). The meat itself was stringy and came apart easily with a fork (similar to pulling apart cooked chicken in texture).

It was pretty good, overall. I'd have it again. The pieces were small, due to snakes not being huge or anything, but that wasn't a big issue. The meat was plentiful (one order worked out to like 1.5 fairly lengthy snakes, apparently; we asked), and the sauce was richly flavored, so it went a long way.

It was served with a naan-like flatbread (seriously, pretty much exactly naan), some extra sauce (a darkly-colored somewhat sticky very thick sauce; I'm convinced it was a kind of plum sauce, but it's been awhile), and some kind of a bean paste that was similar to hummus in texture, but very different in flavor, kinda spicy and peppy in taste. The recommended method for eating was to take a piece of the bread, fold it like a pouch, put some of the bean paste and extra sauce in there, toss some meat in there too, and go to town, eating with your hands. Worked out well, so I didn't complain.

Had it at a place that didn't seem to have a name (I couldn't find one), back in Dubai when I was visiting family. I stopped there cause I was hungry, they had a picture of satay, and I said "well, that looks nice". We ate communally (which was totally awesome, by the way), and the server spoke some asian language, I didn't know it. A table-mate spoke english, and was nice enough to translate for me, so I knew what the hell was happening. We all shared the check (which was reasonable, for the amount of food provided, worked out to be like 30 dirhams a person, which is nothing, approximately $8 USD). Other foods at that meal included a peanut chicken satay, like ten dishes of veggies, and all you can eat naan. It was awesome. I want to go back one day.

Xefas
2011-02-03, 03:49 PM
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/takao-uni-and-salmon-eggs.jpg

On the left, we have sea urchin with a raw quail egg. On the right, we have salmon roe with a raw quail egg.

This is the food of the gods. I could eat these things forever.

(EDIT: My dad eats balut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_%28egg%29), which I will spare the more weak-stomached playgrounders by not posting a picture of it. He says they're pretty good, so I really wanna try one. But, sadly, I haven't got the opportunity yet.)

Mina Kobold
2011-02-03, 04:21 PM
My friends seem to think I'm weird because I like dragon fruit and lychee juice. What I like that is rather weird is ice cream with chocolate drink mix or ice tea mix dusted on top.

All of those sound like something I really want to try. :smallsmile:

But this is Denmark so all we have is potatoes, apples, tomatoes and oranges. :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Sine
2011-02-03, 04:29 PM
Pretzels with sour cream.

Also, tonic water. Nothing extra, just the tonic.

Haruki-kun
2011-02-03, 04:31 PM
Pretzels with sour cream.

Sounds delicious, actually. I should try that.

Also, tonic water. Nothing extra, just the tonic.

:smalleek:

Liriel
2011-02-03, 05:21 PM
My aunt eats dill pickles with her chocolate cake.

No, she's not pregnant.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-03, 05:42 PM
What brands of jam and PB do you use for this, and what other toppings do you include? I'm deeply curious.
Smuckers for the Raspberry jam and the store brand or Kraft Natural for the peanut butter. Usually the store brand, it has a bitter edge I like.
As for other toppings, I like dill pickles, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, mustard, ketchup, the works basically. Another thing I like is Salsa and cream cheese open faced sandwiches. Hmm, tasty. Also, leftover breaded fish fillets and coleslaw with some thin slices of cheddar are also great sandwich fillings.

TheThan
2011-02-03, 06:04 PM
Smoked? Smoked could be good.

Apparently, what they did was fillet it, de-scale it, then marinate and grill it quickly over very high heat. It came out piping hot (it was smoking slightly, it was seriously hot stuff). The meat itself was stringy and came apart easily with a fork (similar to pulling apart cooked chicken in texture).

It was pretty good, overall. I'd have it again. The pieces were small, due to snakes not being huge or anything, but that wasn't a big issue. The meat was plentiful (one order worked out to like 1.5 fairly lengthy snakes, apparently; we asked), and the sauce was richly flavored, so it went a long way.

It was served with a naan-like flatbread (seriously, pretty much exactly naan), some extra sauce (a darkly-colored somewhat sticky very thick sauce; I'm convinced it was a kind of plum sauce, but it's been awhile), and some kind of a bean paste that was similar to hummus in texture, but very different in flavor, kinda spicy and peppy in taste. The recommended method for eating was to take a piece of the bread, fold it like a pouch, put some of the bean paste and extra sauce in there, toss some meat in there too, and go to town, eating with your hands. Worked out well, so I didn't complain.

Had it at a place that didn't seem to have a name (I couldn't find one), back in Dubai when I was visiting family. I stopped there cause I was hungry, they had a picture of satay, and I said "well, that looks nice". We ate communally (which was totally awesome, by the way), and the server spoke some asian language, I didn't know it. A table-mate spoke english, and was nice enough to translate for me, so I knew what the hell was happening. We all shared the check (which was reasonable, for the amount of food provided, worked out to be like 30 dirhams a person, which is nothing, approximately $8 USD). Other foods at that meal included a peanut chicken satay, like ten dishes of veggies, and all you can eat naan. It was awesome. I want to go back one day.

Being in the US means finding something exotic like that is usually hard and usually expensive. It might be easier if you live in a cosmopolitan city, but i don't so yeah. But then again, exotic is a relative term anyway, so i guess your mileage would vary.
The smoked rattlesnake I had was homemade, and was only really a couple of bites as I wasn’t the only one interested in it. As to how it was prepared I really don’t have a clue.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-03, 06:09 PM
A mixture of ramen noodles (strained), tuna, cream of chicken soup, taco sauce, and shredded cheese.

Looks like a cat threw up in a bowl, but I love it. So delicious.

Zocelot
2011-02-03, 06:11 PM
I add tuna to my Kraft Dinner* whenever possible. Also, peanut butter and banana sandwiches and peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are tasty and slightly unusual. I have yet to try peanut butter, banana and bacon all on one sandwich.

*Canadian Mac and Cheese

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-03, 06:18 PM
I add tuna to my Kraft Dinner* whenever possible. Also, peanut butter and banana sandwiches and peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are tasty and slightly unusual. I have yet to try peanut butter, banana and bacon all on one sandwich.

*Canadian Mac and Cheese

Try peanut butter on pancakes, with syrup.

Soooo good.

arguskos
2011-02-03, 06:27 PM
Being in the US means finding something exotic like that is usually hard and usually expensive. It might be easier if you live in a cosmopolitan city, but i don't so yeah. But then again, exotic is a relative term anyway, so i guess your mileage would vary.
The smoked rattlesnake I had was homemade, and was only really a couple of bites as I wasn’t the only one interested in it. As to how it was prepared I really don’t have a clue.
I live in the US too. :smalltongue: Ohio, to be exact. I still know a dozen excellent and fairly authentic places, of varying cuisine styles, so it's very possible to find all sorts of great stuff around if you look hard enough. Hell, I just found a great Palestinian place. It's soooo goooood augh. :smallbiggrin:

Still, the really "exotic" stuff *is* tough to find. I've no idea where to find snake in the US. I know the South-West eats snakes, so I guess if you live in Arizona or New Mexico, you can probably find rattlesnake.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-03, 06:34 PM
I found I love aged goat chops. The goat, not the chops. Most only make them from young goats before adolescence. I like old goats even better. Once had a neighbor have to put down several old billies that'd been hurt during a tornado, so they made them into chops and sent my family some. I'm the only one who could stomach them. I loved'em.

I also love goat cheese. Speaking of cheese...

Another in the 'odd food love' would be Stilton blue cheese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilton_cheese). I'm addicted to it but yet to find anyone but I who enjoyed it. It's very expensive, very strong blue cheese only grown in a certain town in Great Britain. Never tasted anything like it.

Finally, raw sourwood honey (http://www.mtnhoney.com/types_honey.htm). It's mostly only found in the southeastern USA where I'm at. I usually get a jar for myself every birthday.

TheThan
2011-02-03, 06:37 PM
My mom's a southerner so I grew up with food like peanut butter and banana sandwiches( though I haven't had the peanut butter and bacon variety). Of course when I say the south, people around here think the LA basin *sigh*. So I love southern comfort food, never really grew to like grits’ though.
I also love peanut butter on my pancakes (and waffles but they’re basically the same thing). I picked that up from my dad.

We have ethnic food around here too, it’s just hard to find the really crazy stuff.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-03, 06:41 PM
Maybe it's just Georgia area being such a large immigrant state, but I've yet to find anything that isn't sold somewhere within an hour, tops. Especially if its south and eastern asian or latin/south american. There's an ethnic food place practically everywhere.

Even know a nearby place that sells alligator steaks. Just taste like chicken fried steak. Guess it's not too unusual though considering I'm only a 5 hour drive from the Okefenokee.

My mom's a southerner so I grew up with food like peanut butter and banana sandwiches( though I haven't had the peanut butter and bacon variety). Of course when I say the south, people around here think the LA basin *sigh*. So I love southern comfort food, never really grew to like grits’ though.
I tried peanut butter and bananas (from the deep south as well) and I couldn't stomach them. Bananas and peanut butter, to me, are a distinct contrast that brings out the worst of both.

I love peanut butter, and don't mind bananas, but together it's noxious to me. My grandmother adds mayonnaise to hers as well... gah.

Peanut butter and bacon is alright if you're in the mood. Peanut butter and sourwood honey though is the friggin' best.

arguskos
2011-02-03, 06:46 PM
Another in the 'odd food love' would be Stilton blue cheese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilton_cheese). I'm addicted to it but yet to find anyone but I who enjoyed it. It's very expensive, very strong blue cheese only grown in a certain town in Great Britain. Never tasted anything like it.
I've had Stilton. It's alright. I'm not the biggest fan of blue cheese to begin with, but it's hardly bad. Stilton is not my favorite blue cheese either, but its definitely a fairly rare taste. Good man!

Finally, raw sourwood honey (http://www.mtnhoney.com/types_honey.htm). It's mostly only found in the southeastern USA where I'm at. I usually get a jar for myself every birthday.
Is it bad that I've had that? Man, I'm reading this thread going "had that, had that, had that, haven't had that, had that". I feel like an old man or something.

Also, peanut butter bacon sandwiches are alright. Depends on the bacon, really.

Alsoalso, I need to visit Asia for a longer period of time, to really in-depth sample the food. I've heard good things about local korean edibles, but have no experience with korean. Anyone have good Korean food experiences?

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-03, 06:57 PM
Alsoalso, I need to visit Asia for a longer period of time, to really in-depth sample the food. I've heard good things about local korean edibles, but have no experience with korean. Anyone have good Korean food experiences?
When I was working as a satellite TV installer for a company that specialized in foreign broadcasting I met many koreans... but none offered me anything :smallfrown:

I dare you to try their baby mice wine. Actually, I won't dare. That's just wrong.

Edit: Oh, wait, yeah they did. Had some korean kalamari. It wasn't the best I've tasted by a long mile.

However, I have had iraqi baklava, russian cheese-rolls that were pretty darned good, some african fruit drink they just called 'jungle juice' that was awesome, something greek I couldn't pronounce but was pretty bland, and some authentic bayou jambalaya (ooh, baby, I love cajun). Oh, and dried dragonfruit from some Brazillians.

My mexican brother-in-law has his mother send him some stuff every now and again. Can never remember what its called, but most of it is awesome.

Demonweave
2011-02-03, 07:17 PM
For me.
Peanut butter and mustard on toast,
peanut butter and mayo sandwiches,
chocolate cake with vinegar.

TheThan
2011-02-03, 07:23 PM
-edit-
reposted due to believing the internet ate it. Apparently it didn't so its removed.

Maxios
2011-02-03, 07:33 PM
I like to eat Chicken Nuggets with sprinkles on them :smallcool:

arguskos
2011-02-03, 07:33 PM
Man I yammer a lot.

When I was working as a satellite TV installer for a company that specialized in foreign broadcasting I met many koreans... but none offered me anything :smallfrown:
:smallfrown:

I dare you to try their baby mice wine. Actually, I won't dare. That's just wrong.
I've had snake wine. It's pretty solid. I've wanted to try the mice wine too, but haven't gotten the chance yet.

Edit: Oh, wait, yeah they did. Had some korean kalamari. It wasn't the best I've tasted by a long mile.
Calamari isn't a food I was ever crazy about, so good to know I can give this one a wide berth. :smallbiggrin:

However, I have had iraqi baklava, russian cheese-rolls that were pretty darned good, some african fruit drink they just called 'jungle juice' that was awesome, something greek I couldn't pronounce but was pretty bland, and some authentic bayou jambalaya (ooh, baby, I love cajun). Oh, and dried dragonfruit from some Brazillians.
In order: had it (was awesome), had something similar (was ok), never heard of it (and have had so very little food from Africa that such is on the list), Greek food is typically pretty good, and damn right Cajun is awesome! I love me some good Cajun cookin'. Need to travel to New Orleans at some point for an extended period. Never had dragonfruit (I think, not certain, might have).

My mexican brother-in-law has his mother send him some stuff every now and again. Can never remember what its called, but most of it is awesome.
True Mexican food (hard to get this far north :smallfrown:) is surprising. It tends towards the greasy, which sucks, but sometimes you get some good stuff. Their sweets are very good in general. Last trip 'cross the border I took, I managed to have quite a spread, and much of it was very good. You know, I've yet to really find a cuisine that didn't have something going for it. My least favorite is probably Russian or German though. Both never struck my fancy.

Innis Cabal
2011-02-03, 08:14 PM
Still, the really "exotic" stuff *is* tough to find. I've no idea where to find snake in the US. I know the South-West eats snakes, so I guess if you live in Arizona or New Mexico, you can probably find rattlesnake.

I haven't seen a rattlesnake for consumption since I got here to be honest. Plenty of them alive and angry though. Oddly what I find out here is if it's a native and poisonous they want nothing to do with it. Even things remotely like said deadly things are a turn off. Lobster and shrimp are about as hard to find here as steak is on a vegan compound for example.

arguskos
2011-02-03, 08:22 PM
I haven't seen a rattlesnake for consumption since I got here to be honest. Plenty of them alive and angry though. Oddly what I find out here is if it's a native and poisonous they want nothing to do with it. Even things remotely like said deadly things are a turn off. Lobster and shrimp are about as hard to find here as steak is on a vegan compound for example.
Seriously? Shrimp? I mean, I can understand it from a freshness perspective, due to you being landlocked and frozen never being anywhere near as good as fresh, but still, shrimp? Shrimp isn't an uncommon food, at least, I didn't think it was. That bites man.

Here's a great question for you all: what places do you have around your town/city that make authentic "exotic" cuisine, where "exotic" here means food you can't get locally normally, such as Chinese in Chicago, or something similar.

OverThoughtName
2011-02-03, 08:23 PM
I love peanut butter, and don't mind bananas, but together it's noxious to me. My grandmother adds mayonnaise to hers as well... gah.

Your grandmother has stolen my first entry in this thread. Seriously, that dab of mayo ups the flavor to eleven. But I digress...

Oddest food I like to eat? Livermush bagel. Add a bit of mustard to finish it off. Almost as good as MPB&B sammiches, better if I'm in the mood for it. Then there's eel, which might be a contender depending on where you are in the world. Succulent, succulent eel... Mmm....

Innis Cabal
2011-02-03, 08:28 PM
It's not the freshness or even the rarity. I can go to the market and get fresh shrimp. It's the fact that lobster and shrimp (To the local people here) look like and remind them of scorpions. On a certain level they see them and think "Ewww..." due to the cultural stigma against scorpions as a whole due to them being a hazard. Same goes for rattlesnake. Eating something that causes fatalities around here isn't something that's high on the ticket for the people out here. I'm sure if I went down to Phoenix and rooted around in Tempe or another outlaying area I could find a place that served rattler but...for the common South Westerner I think you'll have a harder time.

Out East and the Mid East where the worries of a venomous snake biting you is lower, it's sort of a novelty and an exotic thing. Another thing people seem to forget is the "Non-Country" stuff is harder to get the further you go from centers of globalization commerce. It's going to be harder to get Lassi in say... Nowhere, Arizona then it is in Seattle.

arguskos
2011-02-03, 08:32 PM
It's not the freshness or even the rarity. I can go to the market and get fresh shrimp. It's the fact that lobster and shrimp (To the local people here) look like and remind them of scorpions. On a certain level they see them and think "Ewww..." due to the cultural stigma against scorpions as a whole due to them being a hazard. Same goes for rattlesnake. Eating something that causes fatalities around here isn't something that's high on the ticket for the people out here. I'm sure if I went down to Phoenix and rooted around in Tempe or another outlaying area I could find a place that served rattler but...for the common South Westerner I think you'll have a harder time.
See, I'd want to eat it MORE in that situation, as a kind of psychic vengeance on the damn thing. :smallbiggrin:

Out East and the Mid East where the worries of a venomous snake biting you is lower, it's sort of a novelty and an exotic thing. Another thing people seem to forget is the "Non-Country" stuff is harder to get the further you go from centers of globalization commerce. It's going to be harder to get Lassi in say... Nowhere, Arizona then it is in Seattle.
True enough. Also, lassi is delicious. There was an indian place here, years ago (it closed; Tandoori Chicken in the old Lane Avenue mall, if you remember it, Innis) that Dad and I went to as a kid all the time. The owner always gave me a free lassi. I loved that old guy. His wife worked the wood-fired oven they made the naan in, and his two sons ran the kitchen, making everything, while he ran the register and was a sweet old guy. I miss Tandoori Chicken.

THAC0
2011-02-03, 08:33 PM
On the left, we have sea urchin with a raw quail egg. On the right, we have salmon roe with a raw quail egg.

I know lots of people eat salmon roe, but I just have not been able to bring myself to do it. And out of the seven salmon I got this year, four or five were female.

TheThan
2011-02-03, 08:40 PM
I have never really seen rattlesnake as a food to sustain yourself. Its more like something you make on rare occasion. No not even that, its something that’s done for the thrill, or to freak people out. I mean like you have a visitor from another part of the country, so you give him some rattlesnake and let him try to guess what it is, that sort of thing. I don’t really see it as being something people would normally eat.

Innis Cabal
2011-02-03, 08:51 PM
See, I'd want to eat it MORE in that situation, as a kind of psychic vengeance on the damn thing. :smallbiggrin:

True enough. Also, lassi is delicious. There was an indian place here, years ago (it closed; Tandoori Chicken in the old Lane Avenue mall, if you remember it, Innis) that Dad and I went to as a kid all the time. The owner always gave me a free lassi. I loved that old guy. His wife worked the wood-fired oven they made the naan in, and his two sons ran the kitchen, making everything, while he ran the register and was a sweet old guy. I miss Tandoori Chicken.

I honestly can eat lobster for hours on end, but my family migrated from Ireland/Scotland to Maine and became lobster fishers so...I got it cheap growing up. It stuns me how much hate there is to shrimp and lobster out here.

You need to go upstate to...the Falls and eat at a place called the Saffron Patch. I don't care for Lassi but their Tandoori Chicken is out of this world. Or you could just come out here and I'mm make you some ;D

arguskos
2011-02-03, 08:55 PM
I honestly can eat lobster for hours on end, but my family migrated from Ireland/Scotland to Maine and became lobster fishers so...I got it cheap growing up. It stuns me how much hate there is to shrimp and lobster out here.

You need to go upstate to...the Falls and eat at a place called the Saffron Patch. I don't care for Lassi but their Tandoori Chicken is out of this world. Or you could just come out here and I'mm make you some ;D
Eventually. Also, by The Falls, do you mean Chagrin Falls, outside Cleveland? Never been, cause, well, it's Cleve (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY)land (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM). :smalltongue: Need to go one of these days.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-03, 09:31 PM
Eventually. Also, by The Falls, do you mean Chagrin Falls, outside Cleveland? Never been, cause, well, it's Cleve (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY)land (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM). :smalltongue: Need to go one of these days.

The end of that second video made me laugh. Although, it should have said "At Least We're Not Detroit". More accurate.

This coming from a Detroiter.

Anyways, my brother used to eat ketchup sandwiches. Yes, just bread and ketchup.

PJ the Epic
2011-02-03, 09:40 PM
One day old cold pizza dipped in the cheapest blueberry yogurt I can buy. I don't know why it tastes good.

Serpentine
2011-02-03, 10:11 PM
If it contains eggs then cooking it will remove the risk of contaminating* Salmonella and a few other diseases you can get from raw eggs.Bulldung. Nothing personal, but this really bugs me :smallannoyed: Unless your eggs are off, they should be downright sterile on the inside. If you're really worried, wash the outside of the eggs very well before cracking them.
I have never, ever, even so much as heard a rumour of anyone getting sick from eating something with raw egg in it. I certainly haven't, and I do it all the time.

Here's a great question for you all: what places do you have around your town/city that make authentic "exotic" cuisine, where "exotic" here means food you can't get locally normally, such as Chinese in Chicago, or something similar.Depends what you consider "exotic". Armidale has a pretty impressive variety of "ethnic" cuisine, though. There's about half a dozen or so Thai places - we used to have a single Spanish tapas restaurant which was delicious, but they closed and was replaced with, you guessed it, a Thai place :smallannoyed: - and a couple of those are run by what I think are Thai people. There's a general Asial place called Delicious Noodle that does, well, noodles, and also some pretty good sushi and sashimi. Eel, too, which I enjoy in small amounts (it's quite greasy and strong).
There's two kebab shops, both of which sell something called pide, and one of which also sells a variety of baklava and sweets which are pretty good. The best baklava in town, though, is just made by a guy and his family and sold at markets. Sooooo good P: Nice family, too.
There's 3 or so chinese restaurants of varying quality. One of them once sold an amazing dish of 4 or 5 different fungi and a subtle sauce, but I haven't found it again :smallfrown:
There was a semi-Italianish restaurant/cafe, but that wasn't very exotic per se, and it's closed now.
There's also a pie shop. Run by a Canadian. He have free sauce, though, because apparently "having to pay for tomato sauce" was #1 on a Rove Live list of Things That Annoy Australians :smallbiggrin:
Ummm... There's a few Indian restaurants. One in particular does delicious take-away.
There's a couple of delicatessans that have various things. I got smoked kangaroo from there once, which was very good.
Annnnnd there's also a bulk food place that has a variety of meats including venison, squab, and so on. Oh, and a couple of fishmongers who come up from the coast every Thursday with fresh fish.

More general "weird stuff" I've had... I'm told kangaroo is weird. They just sell it at the supermarket, and it's great. I've also had emu and crocodile - both tasty - maybe snake, and witchetty grub - horrible. I really, really want to try chocolate-dipped honeypot ants.
Apparently some people think stuff like sushi is weird. It's one of my favourite meals. I love pretty much all seafood, too. I even used to crack oysters off the rocks in Sawtell Creek with a stone, wash them in the water and eat them fresh as fresh...
My sister, her partner and I went to a fancy Chinese dinner at 3am in Sydney for the best late-night snack EVER. I can't remember everything we got - just a bunch of entrees - but it included pigeon (absolutely delicious), pork belly (also delicious), and "duck chin" (sort of duck bill, but you eat the tongue and top of the oesophagus. The flavours were very nice, but the textures - gelatinous and chewy, respectively - weren't really my thing. Don't regret trying it, probably wouldn't get again).
Had chicken feet before, but it wasn't satisfying enough to outweigh the creepiness.

I'll try almost anything once, with probably the main restraint being ethics - so no endangered animals unless I know that it wasn't hunted or whatever.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-03, 10:25 PM
Oookay, I can't speak for, say, Arizona, but Texas... you're gonna find shrimp. Shrimp is as common a dish as you can find anywhere in the U.S. I have a hard time believing your local steakhouse doesn't have a 'surf 'n turf' special, or local supermarket bags of gordon's.

In fact, I just researched Captain D's and Red Lobsters in Arizona. They exist. Those are just the mainstream locales that automatically provide shrimp and lobster.

So, yeah, I'm calling bull.

:roach:

Marillion
2011-02-03, 10:26 PM
If it contains eggs then cooking it will remove the risk of contaminating* Salmonella and a few other diseases you can get from raw eggs.

It's a very, very small risk though :smalltongue:

*Am I using that word right?
I think the word you meant was "contracting". You contract an illness from contaminated food. :smallsmile:

Personally, I occasionally like to dip my pizza in coca-cola. It might be a New York think, because everyone here looks at me weird. :smallwink:

Partof1
2011-02-03, 11:08 PM
I work at mcdonald's, and once made myself a caramel mcmini (those little sammiches made with a chicken strip) and it was great.

Also, carrots and barbecue sauce.

Innis Cabal
2011-02-03, 11:08 PM

I meant Cayhoga Falls, but Chagrin has some awesome places to eat to.

Oookay, I can't speak for, say, Arizona, but Texas... you're gonna find shrimp. Shrimp is as common a dish as you can find anywhere in the U.S. I have a hard time believing your local steakhouse doesn't have a 'surf 'n turf' special, or local supermarket bags of gordon's.

In fact, I just researched Captain D's and Red Lobsters in Arizona. They exist. Those are just the mainstream locales that automatically provide shrimp and lobster.

So, yeah, I'm calling bull.

:roach:

What...exactly are you calling bull on? I never made any claim shrimp was a rare find in the Southwest. You'll actually note I never said it was a concern at all. I don't exactly know what this comment was meant to address other then "Shrimp isn't hard to find in the South West" which was never a topic of discussion. I even said I could go to the super market and get shrimp.

What I said was that South Westerners (And even then I never claimed Absolute's that -all- South Westerner's feel this way but that it was at least a pervasive mindset) feel that shellfish are to similar to scorpion to enjoy. Which once again, your statement neither refutes or really calls bull towards. Not only that, but your point doesn't take into consideration that many restaurants do not cater to native populations but instead cater to tourists and out of towners looking for food they are familiar with.

Amiel
2011-02-03, 11:45 PM
I used to really really like shrimp and prawn, especially prawn (peculiarity defines their form). Alas, my overindulgence in my formative years has ensured that I can't look at shrimp or prawn without feeling queasy; I have to fight to not vomit.

I'm especially fond of sour foods, I can drink vinegar straight out of the bottle and I like eating raw lemons. Bizarrely, this has caused my tear-ducts to secrete overly sour tears.

I'm also fond of completely covering my food in sauce; particular favourites: tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, mayonnaise.

Mystic Muse
2011-02-04, 12:48 AM
Try peanut butter on pancakes, with syrup.

Soooo good.

Thanks. Now I have to go eat these, except I have to use frozen waffles as it's almost 1, and getting the material for pancakes is noisy.:smallannoyed::smallbiggrin:

BiblioRook
2011-02-04, 12:50 AM
I tend to be rather prone to seeking out new and unusual foods. I forget most of the stuff I tried, but the latest was various durian snacks. Most notably durian mochi.
Since it's made with durian extract though it's just the taste with none of the smell, so it really isn't as odd as it sounds. Man did I have the hardest time getting people to give it a try though :smallbiggrin:

Place I got it actually sold actual durians too! But I haven't gotten around to getting one as they were pretty pricey.

And for the record, I could probably live off banana/peanut butter sandwiches. But I really can't see how that would be considered unusual food. :smallannoyed:

RS14
2011-02-04, 01:10 AM
Here's a great question for you all: what places do you have around your town/city that make authentic "exotic" cuisine, where "exotic" here means food you can't get locally normally, such as Chinese in Chicago, or something similar.

Not sure what you mean by "authentic" exactly. They're are too many to list, unless you're pretty strict about it, but the places that come to mind:

A Korean restaurant in a primarily immigrant neighbourhood, where the Korean text was first on the menu, followed by English. They brought a couple (small) whole fish, and a raw egg to crack into my soup. It was all pretty good.

A Indian chain restaurant. Their menu listed their other locations, which were mostly in India, with IIRC 3 in the US. They had rose milk, which was odd but good.

Xefas
2011-02-04, 01:38 AM
I know lots of people eat salmon roe, but I just have not been able to bring myself to do it. And out of the seven salmon I got this year, four or five were female.

I felt the same way for much of my life. But, at one point, I made a resolution to try any (non poisonous or potentially harmful) food at least once and, so far, I've stuck to that and found dozens of foods that rank among my favorites that I would have never tried before (and many things that I've resolved to never touch ever again).

The worst thing that can happen is you get a bad taste in your mouth for a little while.

(Unless you go into a Korean restaurant, but don't know enough of the language to order anything properly, so you just gesture at the waiter to "Bring you something awesome". In that case, the worst thing that can happen is that you'll eat something spicier than you thought anything was capable of being and won't be able to taste anything for hours because of the horrible burning sensation. :smallannoyed:)

Amiel
2011-02-04, 01:47 AM
I tend to be rather prone to seeking out new and unusual foods. I forget most of the stuff I tried, but the latest was various durian snacks. Most notably durian mochi.
Since it's made with durian extract though it's just the taste with none of the smell, so it really isn't as odd as it sounds. Man did I have the hardest time getting people to give it a try though :smallbiggrin:

Place I got it actually sold actual durians too! But I haven't gotten around to getting one as they were pretty pricey.
Heh. I, on the other hand, honestly can't understand the appeal of durian :smalltongue:
It is apparently very delicious though extremely malodorous.

golentan
2011-02-04, 01:53 AM
For me, I get weird looks with my Banana and Mayonnaise sandwiches. But they are really, really delicious. Especially if you fry the bananas in a bit of butter or oil first and eat it hot and crispy.

factotum
2011-02-04, 02:44 AM
Another in the 'odd food love' would be Stilton blue cheese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilton_cheese). I'm addicted to it but yet to find anyone but I who enjoyed it.

Maybe that must be a US/UK thing, then, 'cos where I come from it isn't considered odd at all to like Stilton! :smallsmile:

Trekkin
2011-02-04, 03:08 AM
One part ice-cold raspberry iced tea, one part pink lemonade, and two parts root beer added to a few ounces of fake vanilla ice cream and a dollop of almost-grape jelly and well mixed.

It's strangely energizing.

Mystic Muse
2011-02-04, 03:36 AM
One part ice-cold raspberry iced tea, one part pink lemonade, and two parts root beer added to a few ounces of fake vanilla ice cream and a dollop of almost-grape jelly and well mixed.

It's strangely energizing.

That sounds pretty good actually. Depending on what "Fake vanilla ice cream" is.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-04, 06:37 AM
I can eat ketchup on pretty much anything except cake.

Themrys
2011-02-04, 07:55 AM
Bulldung. Nothing personal, but this really bugs me :smallannoyed: Unless your eggs are off, they should be downright sterile on the inside. If you're really worried, wash the outside of the eggs very well before cracking them.
I have never, ever, even so much as heard a rumour of anyone getting sick from eating something with raw egg in it. I certainly haven't, and I do it all the time.

It depends a lot on where you get the eggs from and how long you store the meal.
Eggs from free-range chickens are better, since the chickens are more resistant to bacteria than those that spend their life in tiny cages.

I eat raw dough every time I bake cookies, but I always use the best eggs I can get and bake the cookies the same day I make the dough.

If, however, you buy the cheapest eggs you can get, make a Mousse au Chocolat, store it some days and then give it to elderly people...not such a good idea.

Back to topic:

I like to drink salad sauce that consists of vinegar, oil and salt.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-04, 10:56 AM
Bulldung. Nothing personal, but this really bugs me :smallannoyed: Unless your eggs are off, they should be downright sterile on the inside. If you're really worried, wash the outside of the eggs very well before cracking them.

Must be a regional thing, was quite a big concern at one point when I was a kid and with the bird flu too, I think.

May just be overreacting silly-folks.

We have a lot of them.

Anyone ever had dried spaghetti before boiling it? Not very tasty but the goats loved it so I had to taste it. :smalltongue:

factotum
2011-02-04, 11:21 AM
Anyone ever had dried spaghetti before boiling it? Not very tasty but the goats loved it so I had to taste it. :smalltongue:

Actually, I'll often chew on a piece of uncooked pasta while waiting for the water to boil to put the rest of it on to cook...

THAC0
2011-02-04, 01:45 PM
Must be a regional thing, was quite a big concern at one point when I was a kid and with the bird flu too, I think.

May just be overreacting silly-folks.

That's it, exactly. I think when I was a kid in the midwest there was some rumor that some person somewhere had gotten salmonella from eggs, and all the parents went into panic mode.

Pokonic
2011-02-04, 04:07 PM
Every time I go to subway I get tuna with sweet onion sauce.

Orzel
2011-02-04, 04:54 PM
Grapefruit and onion salsa.

Creamed spinach and potato sandwich.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-04, 10:05 PM
Actually, I'll often chew on a piece of uncooked pasta while waiting for the water to boil to put the rest of it on to cook...

My brother used to snack on raw Ramen.

Cespenar
2011-02-05, 01:44 AM
I like to drink salad sauce that consists of vinegar, oil and salt.

What's wrong/odd with drinking a concoction whose sole job is to make awesomeness from bland tasting stuff?

Ravens_cry
2011-02-05, 01:53 AM
Now, this isn't something I liked to eat, but I would eat anyway, was on soda crackers dipped. You see, we lived in a small mobile home, and some food was stored under my bed. Dry goods like rice, flour, and yes boxes of soda crackers. There was also a large, and I mean huge, two gallons at least, bottle of mustard. I used to sneak some crackers and dip them in the mustard. When you're a growing, hungry child, you eat what you can,even though I was probably not supposed to per say.

Serpentine
2011-02-05, 03:08 AM
I eat un- or undercooked pasta all the time. The very best is a particular brand of noodles, which are quite salty and relatively soft (or rather, crumbly) and easy to chew.

Felixaar
2011-02-05, 03:18 AM
Beans. Beans of any shape or variety, preferably with some heavy spices. For some reason that's not common these days. Get off my lawn.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-05, 03:27 AM
Ok, this is going to sound somewhat gross, but I assure you it tastes better than it sounds........I haven't done this in awhile, but dipping a pogo in freshly made chocolate milk tastes great as I recall.
That doesn't sound too bad. Some people don't like mixing savoury with sweet, but I find it can have some nice combinations. The interface is the batter. Being neither sweet nor savoury, it can go with both.

LordShotGun
2011-02-05, 07:56 AM
Pretzels dipped in peanut butter and then dipped in ranch dressing. The mix of tastes are amazing. Also a ham and peanut butter sandwich was surprizingly good. The salty slickness of the ham goes well with the sticky creamyness of the peanut butter.

Shadow of the Sun
2011-02-05, 10:05 AM

This is actually rather common in Australia. You can actually buy flavoured noodles for consumption uncooked.

faceroll
2011-02-05, 10:06 AM
Mac & cheese, but when making the sauce, I use bacon grease in place of water.

Skeppio
2011-02-05, 10:13 AM

I do this every single time I make noodles. I can end up losing quite a bit of the noodles if I'm hungry enough. :smallredface:

Serpentine
2011-02-05, 10:16 AM
This is actually rather common in Australia. You can actually buy flavoured noodles for consumption uncooked.The one with the monster on the packet, they were surprisingly tasty. Just plain ol' raw 2 Minute Noodles had their charm, too.

BiblioRook
2011-02-06, 12:31 AM

My younger cousin does that too :smallsmile:

Anuan
2011-02-06, 06:31 AM
I've always had my friends go "Ewww" when I say I like sandwiches with ham and pickle/chutney. Doesn't seem weird to me. :smallconfused:
Nothing is weird about this :smallconfused: At all.

Salmon custard.
...What.

One day old cold pizza
"Oh that's not so bad I've had that lots of ti-"

dipped in the cheapest blueberry yogurt I can buy. I don't know why it tastes good.

"...WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT."

I'm glad I'm not the only person that does this.

I like ham, cheese, and Milo toasties with tomato sauce. It is delicious in every way, as long as you butter the inside of the sandwhich so the milo melts and liquefies instead of becoming a crispy candy shell of gross.

But no matter what anyone tells you, sweet chilli sauce is not much of a drink.