PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice on swordsage/beguiler/shrouded ambusher

AustontheGreat1
2011-02-03, 10:36 AM
Okay, my current build plan is going to be something similar to

Swordsage 3/Beguiler 4/Swordsage 2/Shrouded Ambusher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90835) 4/Teflammar Shadowlord 4-5/Shrouded Ambusher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90835) 2-3

or

Swordsage 3/Beguiler 4/Swordsage 3/Shrouded Ambusher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90835) 10

The advice I'm looking for is should I make room for Teflammar Shadowlord or just forget it. The class is pretty good but it's more of a flavor-thing and it doesn't progress my beguiler casting.

So, what do you think, should I skip the Shadowlord levels and finish of Shrouded Ambusher or take the levels in TSL?

AustontheGreat1
2011-02-03, 02:25 PM
Can no one give me any input. I realize that I didn't wait very long before bumping this but it had already fallen off the page. I just want to know if Teflammar Shadowmage is worth it.

The Cat Goddess
2011-02-03, 02:36 PM
I enjoy the Shadowlord class... but usually with Warlock hijinks. :D

Hawk7915
2011-02-03, 02:56 PM
I don't think I'd go for Teflammar Shadowlord, for a few different reasons:

1. You're giving up the "capstones" of the homebrew class which I'm not sure is worth it. Auto-quickening illusions and creating mini-clones (basically Mirror Images that don't instantly die and can ATTACK THINGS ?!??!?!) are pretty awesome abilities even with all the caveats attached too those skills.

2) By the rules you don't qualify for Shadowlord in the first place (I think). The Shadow Hand teleporting maneuvers can trigger Shadow Pounce, but you specifically need Dimension Door to do it (or the template). Now, since you're already using homebrew your DM might allow the Swordsage maneuvers or the "Shadow walk" class feature of the Shrouded Ambusher count...but it is a consideration.

3) This build is crazy feat-starved. You have to take Shadow Blade and Shadow Trickster. You probably ought to take Weapon Finesse, Practiced Spellcaster, and Adaptive Style. It'd be nice to squeeze Craven, Improved Initiative, and Darkstalker into the build. That's already a full 8 feats; managing to sneak Blind-fight, Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack into the build is asking a lot. You'll have to make some sacrifices and be a human with two flaws.

So yeah, I think Swordsage 5/Beguiler 5/Shrouded Ambusher 10 is a fine build: you have 7th level spells (with a CL of 18) and 9th level maneuvers plus a lot of very, very sexy class features. I'd just go with that :smallsmile:.

Keld Denar
2011-02-03, 03:01 PM
I agree with Hawk's assessment. Skip Shadowlord in this case. You'll get more mileage out of Shrouded Ambusher.

Elric VIII
2011-02-03, 03:06 PM
Unless there are flavor reasons, it might be a better idea to take the beguiler levels 1st and have SS as your 5+ level, so that the first maneuvers you learn can be up to level 2.

AustontheGreat1
2011-02-03, 03:06 PM
Thanks guys, Really helped. :smallsmile: