PDA

View Full Version : First-time Heroics [M&M 2e]

SilverLeaf167
2011-02-03, 11:54 AM
As one of my players is disabled from coming to gaming sessions for a few weeks, I decided to play a little Mutants and Masterminds with another of the players (we usually play D&D 3.5). So, I prepared a short first-time adventure for him, and the session will consist of making his character, discussing his backstory, a little roleplaying and this short thing here. Tell me what you think, it's supposed to be more like practise with a new system.

The setting: modern Helsinki, Finland
The character: most likely a fire-controlling hero
A downtown bank is being robbed, and there are many police on the scene. The robbers are inside the bank and all the windows are shuttered. The robbers claim to have hostages, and won't let them out before they are promised an un-obstructed travel to Estonia with the money. The most likely way for the hero to get in is through an upper-floor window in the back. When he goes down, it appears that the robbers don't really have any hostages after all. There are five easy-to-kill goons, a muscular guy and an acrobatic thief (the last one cannot be recognised as such). The goons will take cover behind counters and shoot at the hero, while the muscular guy will attack him in melee, using his fists and improvised weapons. The thief will just stay out of the fight and try to escape with a bag of money if the situation gets bad.
When the robbers are losing, they'll jump out through a window and get into their escape van, hidden in an alley. They'll drive at full speed towards the harbor, where they will hop aboard a small motorboat. A fight on the boat should make a cool scene, assuming it gets that far.
If the hero returns with the money, the office supervisor will force himself into photoes with him, spouting annoying slogans. If he returns without the money or doesn't return at all, the magazines will wonder who he is and blame him for ruining a police operation.

What do you think? I think it includes most of the basic elements of a M&M-game and is simple enough to work with a first-timer.

Beleriphon
2011-02-05, 03:19 PM
As one of my players is disabled from coming to gaming sessions for a few weeks, I decided to play a little Mutants and Masterminds with another of the players (we usually play D&D 3.5). So, I prepared a short first-time adventure for him, and the session will consist of making his character, discussing his backstory, a little roleplaying and this short thing here. Tell me what you think, it's supposed to be more like practise with a new system.

The setting: modern Helsinki, Finland
The character: most likely a fire-controlling hero
A downtown bank is being robbed, and there are many police on the scene. The robbers are inside the bank and all the windows are shuttered. The robbers claim to have hostages, and won't let them out before they are promised an un-obstructed travel to Estonia with the money. The most likely way for the hero to get in is through an upper-floor window in the back. When he goes down, it appears that the robbers don't really have any hostages after all. There are five easy-to-kill goons, a muscular guy and an acrobatic thief (the last one cannot be recognised as such). The goons will take cover behind counters and shoot at the hero, while the muscular guy will attack him in melee, using his fists and improvised weapons. The thief will just stay out of the fight and try to escape with a bag of money if the situation gets bad.
When the robbers are losing, they'll jump out through a window and get into their escape van, hidden in an alley. They'll drive at full speed towards the harbor, where they will hop aboard a small motorboat. A fight on the boat should make a cool scene, assuming it gets that far.
If the hero returns with the money, the office supervisor will force himself into photoes with him, spouting annoying slogans. If he returns without the money or doesn't return at all, the magazines will wonder who he is and blame him for ruining a police operation.

What do you think? I think it includes most of the basic elements of a M&M-game and is simple enough to work with a first-timer.

That effectively described the bank robbery scenario in the core rulebook for M&M 2E featuring Rant and Rave. It's simple, straight forward and is quite fun to actually run.

If your player takes to it get him to accept an invite from the Freedom League, or the local equivilent and use the next part with Captain Kraken.

SilverLeaf167
2011-02-05, 03:37 PM
I didn't even know of the sample scenario... though I guess it's kind of iconic.

It was kind of weird. The hero just went in, killing some goons with non-lethal fireballs (that's just silly), accidentally dropping one out from a third-floor window and killing him. The survivors of the initial attack, except for the muscular guy, get into the van but he disables it with a fireball. They jump into the sewers, where they split but he easily manages to catch both groups with his flight speed of 50 MPH. He ties them up with their own shirts, leaving them neatly packaged on the street with the money next to them. He then returns back to the bank to take care of the last guy. He ambushes him in the vault, hitting him on the head with a plantpot, and after a little fisticuffs and silly grapple maneuvers manages to knock him out with a lucky crit.
The hero wakes up in a hospital, with the chief of police sitting next to him. His identity has been revealed on his very first mission, but the chief offers him a deal: though he caused a casualty (the guy falling from the window), he still did a good job, and is offered a founder position in a soon-to-come hero team.

What does it sound like? Did I make any major mistakes while GMing? Please note that this is also my first time playing M&M. The next job is supposed to be a war museum robbery, where he is opposed by a crazy gunmaster called Desperado.