PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Invocations? [3.5]

NineThePuma
2011-02-03, 05:31 PM
Where can I find them all? I know that there are some in Complete Mage and Complete Arcane, but are there more?

Jair Barik
2011-02-03, 05:33 PM
Possibly in spell compendium but I can't think of anywhere else they might be.

Greenish
2011-02-03, 05:40 PM
Dragon Magic has some.

Elric VIII
2011-02-03, 05:41 PM
Cityscape
Complete Arcane
Complete Mage
Dragon Magic
Drow of the Underdark
Magic of Incarnum

I'm not sure of any other sources for invocations.

Jair Barik
2011-02-03, 05:44 PM
Thinking about it dragon mag likely has a load of them in its various issues.

Optimator
2011-02-03, 06:42 PM
I believe This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2915.0)has all the invocations listed in it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-02-03, 09:23 PM
You know, I just had a wierd idea involving The Dead Walk and Corpsecrafter + Destructive Retrobution. Basically, create instant minions that explode on death. Think it might be worth pursuing?

NineThePuma
2011-02-03, 09:27 PM
Yes. Definitely.

Now, is there any way to get infinite Black Onyx?

Coidzor
2011-02-03, 09:39 PM
You know, I just had a wierd idea involving The Dead Walk and Corpsecrafter + Destructive Retrobution. Basically, create instant minions that explode on death. Think it might be worth pursuing?

As long as you don't make it the focus of your build, it's potentially viable. I'm a bit leery of spending two feats on it as a warlock due to them not being that good general necromancers. Of course, I am a bit biased. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872726/Revised_Necromancer_Handbook)

Now, is there any way to get infinite Black Onyx?

Under certain interpretations of genesis and spellclocks/custom magical traps, one could have an infinitely(but slowly) expanding demiplane of black onyx. Unlikely to run into a game with both of those sorts of thing in play. Alternatively, scrying + plane of earth or researching the quasi-elemental plane of black-onyx are possible options.

But the cost of black onyx is why spell-stitching has the reputation that it has.

NineThePuma
2011-02-03, 09:50 PM
What is spell stiching? :smallconfused:

balistafreak
2011-02-03, 09:53 PM

Ooh! Ooh! I can answer this one! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147848)

It's a pseudo-guide on it. More like a small discussion, not really a proper handbook or anything, but it's still useful, I hope.

Coidzor
2011-02-03, 09:58 PM

You take an undead creature and imbue spells you know into it, of up to 6th level depending upon the creature's wisdom score, as Spell-Like Abilities usable a few times per day per spell level of the various SLAs. An undead necromancer can even spell-stitch his or herself, IIRC, or have someone else do it to them.

You don't want a creature with wisdom higher than a certain amount due to the cost of spell stitching being based upon the creature's wisdom score. Generally the optimal wisdom score is achieved using a temporarily worn, possibly borrowed, periapt of wisdom since the wisdom score is only checked at the time of spell-stitching.

Edit: Can't recall the source. A cursory googling seems to suggest Complete Arcane, page 162, though.

NineThePuma
2011-02-03, 10:07 PM
... So what's its reputation?

Psyren
2011-02-03, 10:09 PM
There's also this feat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613) that lets you pull invocations off the DFA list. It's very limited though, even moreso than Expanded Knowledge.

Coidzor
2011-02-03, 10:18 PM

The premier way to get around the black onyx and wealth-based costs of animating the dead for fun and profit.

And, if one is animating dread warriors ala Unapproachable East, then one gets out of having to pay XP costs (beyond the XP cost of spell-stitching one's self) for the undead.

balistafreak
2011-02-03, 10:34 PM

Don't do it unless you've talked to your DM first, because it, while potentially quite flavorful, is reaaaaaaally off the wall. :smalltongue:

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-02-03, 10:49 PM
Spellstitched is a potentially nasty combo, because as a 3rd level spell, you get Animate Dead. Only without components, since it is a spell-like ability. So no more need for Onyx.

So if you were a necropolitian with Animate Dead spellstitched into you, things could get real nasty real fast...

Coidzor
2011-02-03, 11:41 PM
Spellstitched is a potentially nasty combo, because as a 3rd level spell, you get Animate Dead. Only without components, since it is a spell-like ability. So no more need for Onyx.

So if you were a necropolitian with Animate Dead spellstitched into you, things could get real nasty real fast...

Eh, more like it takes away the wealth-sink of one's undead fighting force.

One can easily have too many undead to be used in any given fight assuming one is getting a cash flow, getting them in exchange for a one-time investment rather than paying for each undead doesn't change that. It's a separate issue that's basically covered by either A. not making that many undead or B. relegating them to "watching the horses/keep/loot pile like followers.

And if 1 or 2 bruiser bodyguard or transportation undead are enough to mess up the DM's groove, animating the dead's off the table anyway, so free or no is irrelevant.

The real abuse is Animate Dread Warrior in order to get every BBEG, Dragon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDragon)(tvtropes warning), or lieutenant of the BBEG on one's side and able to remember as much of the evil plan as a -4 int penalty allows.