PDA

View Full Version : How do I steal someones items. Quickly and efficiently (3.5)

Elfstone
2011-02-03, 09:02 PM
Once again, I petition you all for help. Since the game Im asking for help iin is a PvP game I wont say to much about the setting. Or the event for that matter.
All I need to know is what are the best methods for removing someones stuff. With out fighting them for it, and as quickly as possible. Any spells, items, abilities. (Yes I know pickpocketing skill, but I dont have ranks in it even though its a class skill)

Thanks in advance you guys.

Glimbur
2011-02-03, 10:00 PM
Sleight of Hand is incredibly good. If you can reliably pull off a DC 40 skill check, you can as a free action steal both of their rings and their amulet. Possibly also more things, if you can talk your DM into allowing you to take a belt or bracers or goggles or a hat. Armor is right out. Weapons are trickier.

If you pin a person you can use Disarm to remove a well secured object, which is another method for stealing belts, bracers, etc but it is not quick or easy.

The Disarm action is mediocre unless you have a source of extra actions so you can pick up and pocket the disarmed items.

Listen happens at a -10 if you are asleep.

Entice Gift is a fun spell from Spell Compendium which makes someone give you what they are holding.

If you can get a pet rust monster (I don't know a cost, sorry) you can... remove their metal equipment. A gauntlet of rusting grasp can achieve a similar goal in more limited fashion.

The quickest way I can think of to remove someone's stuff is to kill them in a round and then loot the body. This can be nontrivial.

FMArthur
2011-02-03, 10:02 PM
My method involves bringing a pencil and eraser, then ordering pizza during the session.

Barbin
2011-02-03, 10:37 PM
My method involves bringing a pencil and eraser, then ordering pizza during the session.

Smart move, bub.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-03, 11:17 PM
Sleight of Hand.

Disarm while Unarmed.

Sunder (if you just want to destroy it)

Spells that make the enemy helpless like a spell with Stun.

Dimensional Reach [Reserve Feat] which allows you to teleport unattended items that you have line of sight to into your hand. The items have to be low-weight and it doesn't work very far though.

Darrin
2011-02-03, 11:23 PM
Here's a build I put together to steal every unattended item in the entire world as a free action: The Lightning Thief (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142080).

There are a few ideas in there on optimizing Sleight of Hand.

gorfnab
2011-02-04, 01:29 AM
The Kender Handler prestige class from Dragonlance: Races of Ansalon, page 156, might be worth looking into.

Jothki
2011-02-04, 02:19 AM
It's probably easiest to just have a caster throw an appropriate Save or Lose at them.

Czin
2011-02-04, 06:37 AM
Rust Dragons; they make fighters cry.

FelixG
2011-02-04, 06:42 AM
Wait till they are asleep, use a 1 charge item of Silence.

Then you can walk right into their tent, bang around grabbing all their stuff and they never get a listen check to wake up to the racket.

J.Gellert
2011-02-04, 06:56 AM
Baleful Polymorph.

All items worn or carried by the subject fall to the ground at its feet, even if they could be worn or carried by the new form.

Though for your purposes it may constitute "fighting them for it"?

Farlion
2011-02-04, 07:08 AM
All I need to know is what are the best methods for removing someones stuff. With out fighting them for it, and as quickly as possible. Any spells,

(Greater) Dispell magic + Chain shatter?

Its also some sort of "removing".

Cheers,
Farlion

Coidzor
2011-02-04, 07:11 AM
It's 3.0 web content, but... You could make 'em think they're some other creature than what they are (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030106a) and thus just take the stuff because they don't realize they own it. Or think they're something without territorial instincts or fear of man. Like a dodo or something.

Medium range too, so one could obfuscate what one was doing a bit.

edit: Oh, and I believe there's a BoEF spell for quickly rendering a target naked. Is quite OP when used as a debuff against opponents too.

If you can get a pet rust monster (I don't know a cost, sorry) you can... remove their metal equipment. A gauntlet of rusting grasp can achieve a similar goal in more limited fashion.

Hmm, I believe the Arms and Equipment Guide has a cost listed for them in the Guard(ian?) Creatures section.

Psyren
2011-02-04, 10:38 AM

This is win
I like the adaptation that lets you use Chinese instead

true_shinken
2011-02-04, 10:44 AM
This is win
I like the adaptation that lets you use Chinese instead

Chinese is totally overpowered, I'd ban it in my table.

Psyren
2011-02-04, 10:50 AM
Chinese is totally overpowered, I'd ban it in my table.

Some lines were meant to be crossed :smallbiggrin:

graeylin
2011-02-04, 10:51 AM

Oh great, more cheese at the gaming table. :smallbiggrin:

Sebastrd
2011-02-04, 10:57 AM
The cheesiest way I ever saw was loose interpretation of overchanneled energy missle - sonic version I believe.

Psyren
2011-02-04, 10:57 AM
Oh great, more cheese at the gaming table. :smallbiggrin:

*reads pun*
*slits own throat to stop laughter*

Telonius
2011-02-04, 11:07 AM
High Bluff check/Glibness, and a method to cast Magic Aura on a bunch of items. (Works best if they don't have Identify at the moment).

"Hey friend, I noticed you're on a quest. I happen to be an adventurer myself, but I'm thinking of getting out of the game and retiring. Maybe open a nice inn. Trouble is, I have all my assets locked up in my equipment. You know how it is. I'm not willing to totally sell it off - never know when some young party is going to try to burn it down - but I'd like to downgrade. So tell you what. For 5000 gp, I'll trade you this +4 armor, my +2 Wounding greatsword, and a bunch of potions for your +3 armor, +2 Greatsword, and your scrolls. Deal?

true_shinken
2011-02-04, 11:13 AM
High caster level and Phantasmal Thief would work as well.

Keld Denar
2011-02-04, 11:24 AM
*reads pun*
*slits own throat to stop laughter*

Why so serious?

mootoall
2011-02-04, 11:34 AM
Whipped Cream is useful for this. Fill two pie tins with it while sharing Greater Invisibility with your familiar. Cast True Strike, again sharing it. It's a ranged touch attack to obscure his vision, and then, if The Three Bards Stooges are any indication, it's a full round action to clear it. While your familiar sits them down in a barber's chair for a shave, remove their boots. You've just removed some of his equipment.

nedz
2011-02-04, 01:16 PM
Disintegrate, yeah wizards :smallcool:

Tyndmyr
2011-02-04, 03:25 PM
Mage hand and it's greater cousin. For larger thefts, Tenser's Floating Disk.

You can make off with a great deal of stuff without actually having to do it yourself, making denial much more plausible. See also, disguising spellcasting.

Zeful
2011-02-04, 03:53 PM
Get a Battle Axe, wait until your target's asleep and then CdG them for a 40+ fort save, take stuff.

Hanuman
2011-02-04, 04:02 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/sleightofhand.htm

If you try to take something from another creature, you must make a DC 20 Sleight of Hand check to obtain it. The opponent makes a Spot check to detect the attempt, opposed by the same Sleight of Hand check result you achieved when you tried to grab the item. An opponent who succeeds on this check notices the attempt, regardless of whether you got the item.

This is why lower level wizards can be fools-mated in PvP, if you can get up to them and make the DC20 you can snatch their component pouch, and it's why most people put their holy symbols on things they actually hold.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-02-04, 04:32 PM
Disjunction works if you're feeling mean and don't care about the treasure.

Elfstone
2011-02-05, 10:11 AM
I do care about treasure, I have already picked my race (in the middle of a game here =), the time when I will be taking stuff will be chaotic, and it looks as if Slight of hand is my best bet. Its trained but all I have is +8 from dex..... Any items that boost slight of hand?

And Coidzor, that sounds great, except this is a drow campaign.... It may work. Ill look into it, thanks.

nedz
2011-02-05, 10:32 AM
Theres a 2nd level spell in the SpC called Entice Gift. Basically if they fail their save, then they give you whatever there holding. It costs them an action and you get their weapon/wand/staff/whatever.:smallcool:

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-05, 11:52 AM
HA HA HA! You're stealing my items! Hilarious! Ha Ha!

1. cast Silent Hideous Laughter on your unsuspecting victim (according to RAW he feels a hostile force or a tingle if he passes his save :smallconfused:). Repeat until Will save fails.

2. steal all his stuff while he's laughing his *** off :smallbiggrin:.

Apophis775
2011-02-05, 02:11 PM
Unless their an elf or theres an elf in the party, grab their pack as they sleep and cheese it.