PDA

View Full Version : Cha-based Martial character?

Talbot
2011-02-03, 10:14 PM
I want to make a Cha-centric (and as SAD as possible, with Dex as the second most important stat) melee build... So far, I'm basically thinking some combination of Battle Dancer (Cha to unarmored AC at level 1), Paladin/Avenger/Sentinel/whatever (Cha to saves), then some Crusader (maneuvers and Cha-based smiting), but I'm not sure how much Crusader to take, or what else to tack onto the build. Ideas?

Mando Knight
2011-02-03, 10:17 PM
Crusader gives Cha to saves as well, though it doesn't stack with the Paladin's Divine Grace.

Eldariel
2011-02-03, 10:20 PM
Bard would get you Cha to Attack with light weapons (Snowflake Wardance) and qualify you for Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) (Cha to AC and some nice conversion abilities). Feel free to refer X Stat to Y Bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)-thread.

TakeABow
2011-02-03, 10:25 PM
Crusader gives Cha to saves as well, though it doesn't stack with the Paladin's Divine Grace.

Crusader only gets to add CHA to will saves.

Talbot
2011-02-03, 10:31 PM
I'm especially looking for cool special abilities/class features that make use of Cha in some way (Smite is an example, but ideally something with a wider range of applications/more uses).

Amphetryon
2011-02-03, 10:35 PM
A range-focused Hexblade (google 'Mearls Hexblade Fix') with the Dark Companion ACF is at least worth consideration as a 4-level dip.

lvl 1 sharnian
2011-02-03, 10:35 PM
I had a wicked build somewhere, but I can't remember where. I think it got like 3x Cha to saves, 2x to armor, and like 1x to everythinig else

Derjuin
2011-02-03, 10:36 PM
Paladin can get you limited Cha to an attack (Smite), Cha to damage for a round (Divine Might feat), Cha to saves or AC (ACF somewhere replaces Save bonus with AC bonus, I can't recall which book it is though). There's also the Stunning Surge enchantment, which can stun and its DC is based on your Cha (and # of times per day based on Cha also). The Marshal has a huge array of minor abilities that work off charisma, like bonus to Charge damage, reflex/will/fortitude saves, AC vs. AoOs, etc., and they're all auras, though you can only project one Minor aura at a time (Major auras aren't keyed to Charisma).

Gaiyamato
2011-02-03, 10:47 PM
Iajutsu Master gives Cha to AC while wielding a Katana.

dextercorvia
2011-02-03, 10:50 PM
Marshal (1-3 level dip) gets some cool Cha based abilities.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-03, 10:53 PM
mmm not entirely martial but Cyran Avenger gives you a "smite" (cha to hit +1d6 damage) a number of times per day equal to your cha modifier... I don't remember exactly but I think you don't need casting to enter it (though it advances it by 4/5).

I think the "other killer gnome" (google it) made good use of cha... but I am not sure.

FMArthur
2011-02-03, 11:04 PM
The Hellreaver from Fiendish Codex II provides a pretty wide variety of bonuses fueled by Charisma. It's almost like a full BAB Charisma-based Factotum, but with more emphasis on stabbing evil beings to death than skills. It is a bit reversed though; instead of getting a fixed pool of points to spend on improving your attacks, damage, defenses and healing by an amount dependent on an attribute, you get a Charisma-based pool of points to spend on improving those things by fixed (if large) bonuses. You also get Mettle and a couple of abilities to really stick it to Evil Outsiders.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-03, 11:27 PM
Gloura (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) gets a huge Cha and Dex bonuses and adds Cha to saves and to AC (deflection). Add on some Bard levels to increase your racial spellcasting and to get Snowflake Wardance. Take Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a), Dexterous Attack ability interacts with two-handed Power Attack in some unfair ways, plus its enchant chosen weapon ability can overcome DR/Epic long before you even hit 20th. Try to pick up Divine Power somehow (Arcane Disciple), preferably with a way to Persist it. Spelldancer from Magic of Faerun can do some Persistent Spell cheese and its feat prerequisites overlap with Arcane Duelist, though Bard spellcasting doesn't get 4th level spells until 10th level. You could go Gloura LA +2/ Fey HD 7/ Bard 2/ Spelldancer 1/ Arcane Duelist 10, assuming you can buy off the level adjustment. You would have to use flaws to get Arcane Disciple before 12th level, but otherwise it should make for an extremely capable character.

Zaq
2011-02-04, 02:22 AM
Go for a Killoren bard. They get a racial smite attack (+CHA to hit against most creatures CHA/day) and qualify for Charming the Arrow (CHA instead of DEX to projectile attacks). Take Snowflake Wardance ASAP. At higher levels, you can also grab a Crystal Echoblade and/or Slippers of Battledancing. Whirling Blade is another CHA-based attack at a relatively early level. If you can go Bardblade and use the Lord of the Dance trick (persist or get a custom item of continuous Undersong, then use the CHA-based Perform instead of the CON-based Concentration for fun Diamond Mind stuff), so much the better.

Keld Denar
2011-02-04, 02:42 AM
SUEL ARCANAMACH! This is an awesome mini-gish PrC. The greatest part of it is that you can't get into it until after level 6 (assuming all full BAB classes), so you could stack on a few levels of Paladin for Cha to saves and Turn Undead (to power Cha based features), or levels of Hexblade for Cha to saves and Dark Companion, or some Battledancer, or whatever.

If you do take the Paladin levels to get Turn Undead, consider being Illumian. NaenHoon rune gets a pseudo Divine Metamagic. Take Persist Spell and for 12 TU attempts, you can make 2 spells persistant on you at all times. I'm currently using Shield and Wraithstrike on mine. Its pretty slick.

Draz74
2011-02-04, 11:55 AM
If you haven't seen Dulcinea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9321125&postcount=154) ... you need to. Binder-based CHA/DEX melee build.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-04, 11:56 AM
Paladin 2/Marshal 2/Crusader X is an awesome charisma melee build.

Choco
2011-02-04, 01:33 PM

Int actually.

The cha gets applied to initiative (in addition to dex) and to each damage dice when rolling Iaijutsu damage.

Iaijutsu masters can really wreck monsters if they go first and/or have some other ways of making the enemy flat-footed. It's worth a 5 level dip and maxing out Iaijutsu Focus if you already have a cha based martial type.

true_shinken
2011-02-04, 01:36 PM
No, it does not.

Psyren
2011-02-04, 01:41 PM
If you haven't seen Dulcinea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9321125&postcount=154) ... you need to. Binder-based CHA/DEX melee build.

Ah, Dulcinea - another marriage of fluff and crunch to remind me why I love it here so much :smallbiggrin:

true_shinken
2011-02-04, 01:44 PM
Ah, Dulcinea - another marriage of fluff and crunch to remind me why I love it here so much :smallbiggrin:
Dulcinea might have lost it's 'best score' place, but it's still the most notorious of IC builds, it seems.

Psyren
2011-02-04, 01:56 PM
Dulcinea might have lost it's 'best score' place, but it's still the most notorious of IC builds, it seems.

A mechanically-sound build with an amazing write-up becoming famous? In MY Playground?

It's more likely than you think :smallamused:

SurlySeraph
2011-02-04, 03:54 PM
I had a wicked build somewhere, but I can't remember where. I think it got like 3x Cha to saves, 2x to armor, and like 1x to everythinig else

3 levels in Eldeen Ranger (Greensingers) will give you Cha to saves that stacks with Divine Grace, and Hexblade will give Cha to saves against spells.
AC... not sure if Battle Dancer stacks with Monk using Ascetic Mage. If it doesn't, being incorporeal, being Gloura or a couple other races, and a few spells can do it.
A level in Marshall can add Cha to pretty much anything with the proper aura.

Hanuman
2011-02-04, 03:56 PM
Uh, Rogue.

Feint.

prufock
2011-02-04, 03:59 PM
I'll second (third?) support for adding Marshal to the mix. Just make sure you pick auras that have good synergy with your build. Accurate Strike is good if you have an 18-20 crit range weapon and Improved Critical, for instance. Motivate Charisma makes a good combo with demoralize. And if you're making a Charisma-based martial character, why not trick out your demoralize ability?

Aspenor
2011-02-04, 04:00 PM
I want to make a Cha-centric (and as SAD as possible, with Dex as the second most important stat) melee build... So far, I'm basically thinking some combination of Battle Dancer (Cha to unarmored AC at level 1), Paladin/Avenger/Sentinel/whatever (Cha to saves), then some Crusader (maneuvers and Cha-based smiting), but I'm not sure how much Crusader to take, or what else to tack onto the build. Ideas?

What level are you starting at?

To be completely SAD, go with some of these (and I like to sorcerer gish in a build like this):
Classes:
- Battledancer 1
- Arcane Duelist 2
- Paladin 2

Items:
- Slippers of Battledancing

Talbot
2011-02-04, 04:02 PM
Starting at level 1. I'm definitely going for melee over ranged, and I love ToB, so Crusader is a plus. In a perfect world, I'd play some sort of Cha-based Unarmed Swordsage, but sadly, that's a tough build to make work.

Aspenor
2011-02-04, 04:03 PM
Starting at level 1. I'm definitely going for melee over ranged, and I love ToB, so Crusader is a plus. In a perfect world, I'd play some sort of Cha-based Unarmed Swordsage, but sadly, that's a tough build to make work.

Ahh, too bad. Can't fit the Slippers into a level 1 character's budget...Charisma to-hit and damage instead of strength would be good for a CHA SAD melee.

Maybe even toss some Bard in and take Snowflake Wardance for the CHA to hit again. :smallbiggrin:

Geddoe
2011-02-04, 06:33 PM

Are you limiting to official stuff? Because the Chainmail Bikini sourcebook(ridiculousness aside) has Hot and Violent to get cha to either attack or damage(possibly both, I forget the specifics) when dressed Stripperfically.

Aspenor
2011-02-04, 06:41 PM
Are you limiting to official stuff? Because the Chainmail Bikini sourcebook(ridiculousness aside) has Hot and Violent to get cha to either attack or damage(possibly both, I forget the specifics) when dressed Stripperfically.

Oh snap, I have got to get that book.

Draz74
2011-02-04, 06:45 PM

Yeah ... I took a close 3rd place in that round of Iron Chef, and yet it's hard to be resentful when the 1st place was so amazing. (As opposed to Pyrokineticist, where I'm just a little bit sad that my build was 2nd instead of 1st. Not that the 1st-place build was bad or anything; it just wasn't overwhelmingly obviously better than mine.)

true_shinken
2011-02-04, 06:50 PM
Yeah ... I took a close 3rd place in that round of Iron Chef, and yet it's hard to be resentful when the 1st place was so amazing. (As opposed to Pyrokineticist, where I'm just a little bit sad that my build was 2nd instead of 1st. Not that the 1st-place build was bad or anything; it just wasn't overwhelmingly obviously better than mine.)

I was competting for that one, with Nekoya. I was doing fine (until Keld tanked me with his judging :smallannoyed:), but I knew from the moment I saw Dulcinea we already had a winner. OMGPonies deserved that 1st place, plain and simple.