PDA

View Full Version : Druid Advice

alexthemad
2011-02-03, 11:32 PM
So my group and I will be venturing underground, and only 2 in the group have darkvision. The rest of us are human and have no items or spells that grant darkvision. So my question is...are there any animals that my druid can wildshape into that has darkvision? If not, what about other forms of senses?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Eldariel
2011-02-04, 01:25 AM
So my group and I will be venturing underground, and only 2 in the group have darkvision. The rest of us are human and have no items or spells that grant darkvision. So my question is...are there any animals that my druid can wildshape into that has darkvision? If not, what about other forms of senses?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Well, some companions like Dire Bat have Blindsense so that'd work. If you want to have it yourself, you need Enhanced Wildshape-spell (level 4, hours/lvl) tho to get senses; if you do, well, turning into e.g. Dire Bat is the easiest. Do note that there's also a Darkvision-spell and Listening Lorecall [Spell Compendium] at levels 2 and 3 IIRC that both cover the vision deal.

Few animals have true Darkvision; if you can get means to turn into Monstrous Humanoid, Aberration or such it'd be easier tho. If you have e.g. Frozen Wildshape, the Cryohydra form has Darkvision among other things. But yeah, just vanilla Wildshape doesn't grant senses so use your spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-04, 01:30 AM
As per errata (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a), Wild Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#wildShape) functions like Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm): "The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form." You don't gain any of the extraordinary senses of your wild shape forms, including darkvision, low-light vision, or even scent. Finding an animal with darkvision isn't going to help your character at all.

What level are you, and what does your group consist of? An easy solution could be casting Darkvision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkvision.htm) + Lesser Rod of Extend every day. If you're high enough level and/or have enough cash on hand, you could get everyone a Ring of the Darkhidden and a Blindfold of True Darkness to get a fairly extreme advantage in the underdark. Another option would be to keep Deeper Darkness active constantly, since it projects shadowy illumination it would actually allow you to see if the area was otherwise pitch dark. Darkvision can't even see through shadowy since that's the realm of low-light vision so your opponents with darkvision would be at a disadvantage. Yet another option would be to keep (Greater) Luminous Armor (BoED) active on yourself, it appears as a suit of shining breastplate or full plate and projects light equivalent to a Daylight spell. It's so bright that opponents take a -4 penalty to hit you, and most creatures that live down there would suffer additional penalties in a daylight effect anyway. You would still benefit from the AC bonus of that even when wild shaped, and you can also get a Monk AC bonus such as from a Monk's Belt with that spell on similar to how Mage Armor works.

Killer Angel
2011-02-04, 03:31 AM
You would still benefit from the AC bonus of that even when wild shaped, and you can also get a Monk AC bonus such as from a Monk's Belt with that spell on similar to how Mage Armor works.

Although you'd need a wilding clasp to keep functioning the belt, while wildshaped.

faceroll
2011-02-04, 03:39 AM
Although you'd need a wilding clasp to keep functioning the belt, while wildshaped.

Wildshape, then add belt. Use Girallon's Blessing for arms. I like ape morphs and girallon's blessing for big returns to pumping strength and power attacking.

Mastikator
2011-02-04, 03:47 AM
Darkvision is a 2nd level wiz/sor spell and 3rd level ranger spell. It can be made permanent with permanency. If you got either of those classes and levels you could ask for a buff when it becomes needed.

Until then a torch costs 1 cp a piece.

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-04, 04:39 AM
Until then a torch costs 1 cp a piece.

What about an Invisible Continual Flame spell? Does it even grant light?

LordBlades
2011-02-04, 05:25 AM
Listening Lorecall is a low level (think lvl 2 but I'm away from my books atm so can't check for sure) Druid spell from Spell Compendium that can help in such a situation if you have enough ranks in listen (grants Blindsense with 5 or more ranks and Blindsight with 12 or more IIRC).

Killer Angel
2011-02-04, 07:46 AM
Wildshape, then add belt. Use Girallon's Blessing for arms. I like ape morphs and girallon's blessing for big returns to pumping strength and power attacking.

That's surely an option... :smallbiggrin:

Vistella
2011-02-04, 11:33 AM
What about an Invisible Continual Flame spell? Does it even grant light?

yes, you just dont see the source of the light

@op: you could use the embrace the wild spell too, when not using spell compendium it can give blind sight 120ft for 10min/lvl, its rather nice