PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted] Fading Light Potency

Primal Fury
2011-02-04, 01:41 AM
Xefas got me thinking about some new heresy for Infernals building off of the Past Lives background. This is essentially a speed-bump charm that opens the door up for things like weaponized limit breaks, such as driving what is left your past life into the Heart of Tears limit break, weeping tears of scarlet flame, and burning everyone within a certain range.

Fading Light Potency
Cost: (1 limit or 3m); Mins: Essence 3; Type: Permanent
Keywords: Heretical
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Fond Remembrance of Adrián, Nightmare Fugue Vigilance

Many Infernals regret tapping into their past lives. Of course, the memories are useful at times, as are the benefits that come with them, but the constant usurpation of one's own body is inexcusable. By funneling their vast power through the reflective nature of Adorjan, they may force what is left of the so-called “god-king” to relive their greatest failures over and over again, and feed off their suffering.

This charm permanently enhances the Infernal, allowing him to gain the dice bonus from the Past Life background a number of additional times per session equal to their (Essence/2), though each additional usage beyond the normal limit costs a single point of limit. In addition, whenever the Infernal's past life would take over, they may spend 3 motes and imprison the Solar in a private Hell filled with naught but scarlet fire and despair, preventing the past life from displacing the Warlock. The Heretic deems this a just punishment for the fallen king's failures, allowing them to roll (Past Life) dice, and gain a number of temporary points of willpower equal to the successes. The Infernal can only gain willpower in this way once per scene.

Finally, purchasing this charm permanently enhances Fond Remembrance of Adrian, inflicting (Conviction + Past Life) dice of lethal damage. As a purely cosmetic enhancement, rather than lacerating, burning and freezing those who would threaten their inviolability, the Infernal burns them with terrible scarlet flame, seamlessly blending Malfeas's world ending rage, and Adorjan's limitless thirst for slaughter.

Weimann
2011-02-04, 04:37 AM
Hm, looks interesting. I'm not that familiar with Infernals and how they use their Past Lives and so on, but let's see what others have to say. I'll check my books and get back to you.

Primal Fury
2011-02-04, 03:12 PM
Anyone else have some input?

Xefas
2011-02-04, 10:34 PM
This charm permanently enhances the Infernal, allowing him to gain the dice bonus from the Past Life background a number of additional times per session equal to their (Essence/2), though each additional usage beyond the normal limit costs a single point of limit.

This. I like this mechanic. I wish I'd thought of it first. :smalltongue:

In addition, whenever the Infernal's past life would take over, they may spend 3 motes and imprison the Solar in a private Hell filled with naught but scarlet fire and despair. The Heretic deems this a just punishment for the fallen king's failures, allowing them to roll (Past Life) dice, and gain a number of temporary points of willpower equal to the successes. The Infernal can only gain willpower in this way once per scene.

I'm slightly confused by this. Does imprisoning the Solar prevent him from taking you over and influencing your actions? It seems implied but not explicitly stated. If this is so, I'd add a clause onto the end of one of the sentences like "-imprison the Solar in a private Hell filled with naught but scarlet fire and despair, preventing him from influencing the Warlock at all." or something.

I definitely would like to see some weaponized limit break charms. Heart of Tears seems kind of obvious, but it'll be interesting to see what you can do for, say, Overindulgence or Ascetic Drive.

Primal Fury
2011-02-04, 10:52 PM
Does imprisoning the Solar prevent him from taking you over and influencing your actions?
D'oh! Of course it does. :smalltongue:

I definitely would like to see some weaponized limit break charms. Heart of Tears seems kind of obvious, but it'll be interesting to see what you can do for, say, Overindulgence or Ascetic Drive.
Overindulgence... Your jaw and stomach widen to grotesque proportions, and a fire ignites in your gut. You can enhance clinch attacks with a horrible chomp. You are driven to devour anything in your path, gaining motes from doing so.

Ascetic Drive... I'm envisioning a more beneficial version here, such as combusting, and cleansing yourself of unnatural mental influences, sickness effects, shaping effects, and poison effects (not all at the same time of course). You might even extend these benefits to someone else.