PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Fit First Level.

Alcopop
2011-02-04, 08:23 AM
Heya forum,

So I have recently been invited to a game run by a notoriously cruel gm and worse yet it's one that starts at first level. So I am attempting to make a character for what will doubtless be a pretty unforgiving campaign.

The aim here is to be as strong as possible at low levels (specifically first and second) while still having decent end game option (it's meant to be a 1 to 20 campaign... assume we can live that long)

I'm not just interested in character build, any advice or helpful tricks would be appreciated as well!

Cheers.

Mastikator
2011-02-04, 08:26 AM
Sell your first +1 sword, buy 10 warrior hirelings and use them as human shields. You'll still get exp.

Alcopop
2011-02-04, 08:32 AM
I should explain that the GM won't treat things like "10 warrior hirelings" as mindless game constructs. Rather he will play them as real people. which means hiring them working out rates and trusting them is all a lot more complicated then it would normally be. (they my simply decide it would be better to rob us in the middle of the night or something.)

However war-dogs might be simpler.

Eldan
2011-02-04, 08:37 AM
What sources are allowed? In core, I'd probably build something like a full-plated dwarven cleric.

Dyllan
2011-02-04, 08:39 AM
Are we talking 3.5, Pathfinder, or something else? Also, how is stat generation being handled?

Survivability at level 1 is all about AC and HP. You can't afford heavy armor out of the gate, so Barbarian, with the D12 HD and Rage, is a serious contender. If you have a high enough Dex, they can even make a run for it at higher levels.

Here's something different to do. Level 1, play a Barbarian with Sword and Board. Spend your money on a Heavy Wooden Shield, the best armor you can afford, and whatever one handed weapon you can afford with what's left. Buy a ranged weapon, even if it's just a sling. Long term, you won't be keeping that shield. Once you've gained a few levels and are more durable, switch to a 2-handed weapon (especially if this is 3.5). Run a race with +dex or +con for additional durability.

You could do something similar starting fighter, but you'll have 2 less HP, plus no ability to rage for extra HP if you get low before the cleric can heal you.

Psyren
2011-02-04, 08:42 AM
Binder! gotta love masterwork full-plate at first level, plus DR/1 piercing.

Whammydill
2011-02-04, 08:42 AM
Play a high INT/CON Warforged Wizard, and be sure to have repair series of spells, pretty survivable, not to mention great in the endgame.

Dyllan
2011-02-04, 08:43 AM
How are all you guys affording Full Plate at level 1?

PanNarrans
2011-02-04, 08:46 AM
Binder! gotta love masterwork full-plate at first level, plus DR/1 piercing.

Don't you need to be second level to bind Savnok?

Psyren
2011-02-04, 08:47 AM
How are all you guys affording Full Plate at level 1?

Binder + Improved Binding feat = Savnok, who gives you masterwork full-plate (and heavy armor proficiency) for free at first level. He also lets you swap places with an ally and gives DR.

Don't you need to be second level to bind Savnok?

3rd, actually - but Improved Binding lets you treat your Binder level as two levels higher. (ToM pg. 74)

You can also get Savnok as a feat if you want to be another class - you'll need the heavy armor proficiency another way though.

Mastikator
2011-02-04, 08:47 AM
I should explain that the GM won't treat things like "10 warrior hirelings" as mindless game constructs. Rather he will play them as real people. which means hiring them working out rates and trusting them is all a lot more complicated then it would normally be. (they my simply decide it would be better to rob us in the middle of the night or something.)

However war-dogs might be simpler.

Good idea, get war dogs. Dogs are like way more loyal than humans.

Dyllan
2011-02-04, 08:48 AM
Binder + Improved Binding feat = Savnok, who gives you masterwork full-plate (and heavy armor proficiency) for free at first level. He also lets you swap places with an ally and gives DR.

3rd, actually - but Improved Binding lets you treat your Binder level as two levels higher.

Okay then.

Never had a binder in our games. And we run Pathfinder now - seems more balanced, but that's probably only because there aren't a million splat books with classes like Binder in them yet.

Psyren
2011-02-04, 08:50 AM
Okay then.

Never had a binder in our games. And we run Pathfinder now - seems more balanced, but that's probably only because there aren't a million splat books with classes like Binder in them yet.

1) Binders are balanced. They're the poster-child of T3.

2) Pathfinder, more balanced? Have you seen the Sorcerer? :smallconfused:
Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit is still very much in the equation.

faceroll
2011-02-04, 09:05 AM
Barbarian, in my experience, is the second best level 1 character to play, the first being druid.

Barb build:
Swap out fast movement for pounce at first level
Use Whirling Frenzy instead of Rage for a extra attack

Your first feat should be extra rage. If you can get flaws, pick up reckless rage for +2 more str & con while raging.

Use a two handed weapon.

Druid build:
Max wisdom, prepare control spells and a buff or two
Get a riding dog, warbred, in the best barding you can afford
Stay back, use your sling or cast spells, while you let your dog handle problems. Make sure it flanks. Its trip at first level is KILLER.

No matter what class you settle on, make sure you get a tower shield, if you can carry it. Being able to take cover is very handy, and you can drop it as a free action. Great way to beat a retreat- pull out the shield, cower behind it, and run. Getting cover means you can't be attacked. You don't need to be proficient with it.

LordBlades
2011-02-04, 09:17 AM
I second druid.

Gnome Druid: with 32 PB you can get 18 wis 16 con(18 with racial adjustment). 14 Dex
Get a hide armor and a tower shield (who cares about non prof, you're not going to attack anyway) and a studded leather barding for the dog. Also, spiked gauntlet to threaten squares while still having hand free for spellcasting.

you should have: 20 AC and 12 HP. Your dog should have 19 AC and 13 hp.

PS: if you need mobility, you can just ride the dog.