PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Paladin

supermonkeyjoe
2011-02-04, 09:14 AM
Hi everyone, I'll preface this by saying that I'm somewhat new to the whole Psionics system so bear with me If I'm being an idiot.

One of my players Is currently playing a Kalashtar paladin and after seeing a psion in action expressed a possible interest in having some similar powers.

I've been looking at swapping out the Paladins meagre spellcasting ability with equivalent psionic casting but can't seem to find a good parallel for powers known/power points. The Psychic Warrior seems more in line with a bards spellcasting progression, would the psychic rogue's powerpoints/powers known amount be more in line.

Also it doesn't matter if the paladin gets a bit of a power boost, the other party members are a duskblade, a druid and a wizard :p

Psyren
2011-02-04, 09:19 AM
Have you looked at the - I can't believe I'm about to type this - Divine Mind from Complete Psionic? It basically has a psionic paladin chassis, complete with the -4 CL.

Seth62
2011-02-04, 09:19 AM
TRY a divine mind in the complete psionic that class is close to a psionic paladin.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-02-04, 09:21 AM
wow, thanks for the quick replies, my knowledge of psionics is pretty much limited to the SRD but this sounds like just what I was after :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2011-02-04, 09:24 AM
Just don't use anything other than the PP and PK chassis, and for god's sake please make it full BAB :smallyuk:

Also, I would move Divine Grace back to 2nd level where it belongs and base all their manifesting off Charisma.

Essence_of_War
2011-02-04, 09:31 AM
2nd'ing Psyren.

Try to get your DM to give it full BAB, and also try to get the manifesting based all off of Charisma rather than Cha+Wis. It is far too much MAD to be playable. If you can do all of that, you might have some fun with it actually.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-02-04, 09:38 AM
2nd'ing Psyren.

Try to get your DM to give it full BAB, and also try to get the manifesting based all off of Charisma rather than Cha+Wis. It is far too much MAD to be playable. If you can do all of that, you might have some fun with it actually.

Actually I am the DM so it's all o.k, and yes, i'm just going to grab the pp/powers known and keep everything else about the character the same. The player likes how the character plays with the smiting and the lay-on-handsing but she hasn't really used any spells yet.

Psyren
2011-02-04, 09:51 AM
In addition to the Psywar list, you can also give it a couple of thematic mantles to pull powers from (whether she gets the whole mantle or just the powers from it is up to you.) Life should definitely be one of them for Healing Touch, and you can add any others you feel fit like Guardian, Physical Power or Conflict.

Since they are limited to 4th-level powers also, I don't think it would break the game if she simply knew every power available to her (like a Paladin does) instead of having to learn them. That would definitely help her keep up with the higher-tier party, and keep her from having to worry about picking one power to learn over another.

sonofzeal
2011-02-04, 09:52 AM
Sanctified Mind, from Lords of Madness, is essentially this...

supermonkeyjoe
2011-02-04, 10:32 AM
In addition to the Psywar list, you can also give it a couple of thematic mantles to pull powers from (whether she gets the whole mantle or just the powers from it is up to you.) Life should definitely be one of them for Healing Touch, and you can add any others you feel fit like Guardian, Physical Power or Conflict.

Since they are limited to 4th-level powers also, I don't think it would break the game if she simply knew every power available to her (like a Paladin does) instead of having to learn them. That would definitely help her keep up with the higher-tier party, and keep her from having to worry about picking one power to learn over another.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong table divine minds get up to 6th level powers so giving all of them may be a bit much, I'd also like to keep powers and things limited to the SRD as much as I can so probably won't go with any mantles but might bump up the number of powers known a bit. Thanks for all the advice, I think I've just about got something that's not too under/overpowered.

Psyren
2011-02-04, 10:36 AM
Ah, so they do :smallredface:

Very well, disregard that last bit

Essence_of_War
2011-02-04, 10:44 AM
sonofzeal had a good suggestion also.

Depending on what level you start at and the fluff you want to give it, PsyWar->Sanctified Mind can feel very much like a psionic holy warrior. I don't remember the precise pre-req's but I think it is BAB +5, Iron Will feat, and a PP pool/ability to cast divine spells?

Anyway, a Psywar can probably get in at level 7 if he goes single classed, and at 6th if takes a two level dip in fighter or ranger. PsyWar is much better balanced class than the divine mind as well.