PDA

View Full Version : Real life Chuck Norris

pendell
2011-02-04, 11:18 AM
In this corner: 40 rapists.
In this corner: 1 Gurkha (http://www.logiccool.com/blog/591281-lone-nepali-soldier-defends-potential-rape-victim-against-40-men/).

The moral of the story? Don't f*ck with Gurkhas. Seriously. They will MESS YOU UP.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Boci
2011-02-04, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I remeber reading the test Gurkhas had to go through to qualify for the British Army. Just reading it made me wince.

grimbold
2011-02-04, 11:32 AM
i think awesomeness is built into their very genes

MoelVermillion
2011-02-04, 11:37 AM
More accurate real life Chuck Norris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_norris).

No matter what kind of training you've had it must take tremendous courage to be willing to fight 40 people at once to save a stranger. I don't really feel right comparing this hero to an action star with memes attached to his name :smallannoyed:.

akma
2011-02-04, 12:46 PM
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/64327-5-Real-Soldiers-who-make-Rambo-look-like-a-Wussy

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-04, 01:02 PM
Ghurkas are indeed scary awesome mofos.

Runestar
2011-02-04, 06:56 PM
This is why I find reality weirder than fiction sometimes. :smallamused:

Admiral Squish
2011-02-04, 08:26 PM
This is why I find reality weirder than fiction sometimes. :smallamused:

Stranger, yes, but isn't infinitely more bad-a**?

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-04, 08:55 PM
Simo Hayha is only number five? Balderdash!

OverdrivePrime
2011-02-04, 09:28 PM
In this corner: 40 rapists.
In this corner: 1 Gurkha (http://www.logiccool.com/blog/591281-lone-nepali-soldier-defends-potential-rape-victim-against-40-men/).

The moral of the story? Don't f*ck with Gurkhas. Seriously. They will MESS YOU UP.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

When I read that story on Badass of the Week last week I just about stood up and cheered in the middle of the office.

All heroes are made more awesome through the keyboard of Amazing Ben. Check out the Badass of the Week take on the story here. (http://www.badassoftheweek.com/shrestha.html) (warning, contains hilarious sequences of hyperbole and expletives)

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-04, 11:46 PM
That is quite amazing.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/64327-5-Real-Soldiers-who-make-Rambo-look-like-a-Wussy

Simo Hayha, just another reason why Finland is epic.

Icewalker
2011-02-04, 11:48 PM
Indian Army Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw:
"If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha."

:smallbiggrin:

Also this:

No matter what kind of training you've had it must take tremendous courage to be willing to fight 40 people at once to save a stranger. I don't really feel right comparing this hero to an action star with memes attached to his name :smallannoyed:.

Lycan 01
2011-02-05, 01:45 AM
That friggin' cleaver thing is something they just happen to carry? :smalleek:

TheThan
2011-02-05, 02:54 AM

Kukris are standard issue for Ghurka soldiers I believe.

and yes, don't mess with these guys.

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-05, 03:37 AM

Brigade of Gurkha's symbol:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00496/SNN2909C_380_496058a.jpg

That's why.

Lycan 01
2011-02-05, 03:43 AM
I mean, I know its iconic and their signature weapon... But they're allowed to just carry it around in public? :smalleek:

Icewalker
2011-02-05, 03:46 AM
He's a soldier, he carries a weapon. Legitimate enough. I own a small kukri myself, although I don't carry it, it wouldn't make a great weapon, and I'd have no clue how to really use it.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-05, 03:51 AM
At least Ranger Mattos understands the epicness of Finland.

Brother Oni
2011-02-05, 04:23 AM
I mean, I know its iconic and their signature weapon... But they're allowed to just carry it around in public? :smalleek:

Would you like to be the person to tell them "I'm sorry sir, you can't carry that weapon."? :smalltongue:

Rockphed
2011-02-05, 04:46 AM

I believe the entire point of issuing soldiers weapons is so that when said weapons are needed the soldier can use them. If the weapons are locked away somewhere "safe", it gets really hard to use them right away.

Lycan 01
2011-02-05, 09:27 AM
Was he actually on active duty at that point? If he was actually supposed to have his weapons on him, that makes sense. I just got the impression from the article that he was off-duty, and just happened to have that honkin' huge knife concealed on him when the thugs showed up. Otherwise I figured the thugs would have noticed the armed and uniformed soldier sitting right there...

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-05, 09:40 AM
Was he actually on active duty at that point? If he was actually supposed to have his weapons on him, that makes sense. I just got the impression from the article that he was off-duty, and just happened to have that honkin' huge knife concealed on him when the thugs showed up. Otherwise I figured the thugs would have noticed the armed and uniformed soldier sitting right there...

Kukris (at least according to Wikipedia) are relatively common in Nepal, they use them for everything, not just chopping limbs off. So him having one; even off duty, isn't exactly impossible, it was probably just concealed.

Boci
2011-02-05, 09:43 AM
Otherwise I figured the thugs would have noticed the armed and uniformed soldier sitting right there...

Maybe te 40 to 1 odds enboldned them.

Jack Squat
2011-02-05, 10:10 AM
Kukris (at least according to Wikipedia) are relatively common in Nepal, they use them for everything, not just chopping limbs off. So him having one; even off duty, isn't exactly impossible, it was probably just concealed.

I don't know if he did or not, but he could have easily been wearing it on his belt and no one would have thought any different than if someone has a folding knife clipped to their pocket here in the states.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-05, 11:45 AM

Yes. It is true.

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-05, 02:16 PM
while we're talking about badasses, may i submit Audie Murphy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy).

TheThan
2011-02-05, 02:23 PM
After thinking about it, this Gurkha already won this fight by virtue of attrition alone. He’s already killed or injured 11 of them, putting them at a deficit, I mean that’s already a quarter of their available man power. So even if they managed to actually kill him, there's a strong chance he'd take out more of them before he goes down. They've already suffered too many casualties and injuries to really claim a victory here even if they did kill the guy without suffering more losses. Fighting it out would probably just result in one dead Gurkha and a bunch more dead or injured bandits.

even though they already lost, running was the smart thing, though they were probably running in terror more than as a tactical decision.

Asta Kask
2011-02-05, 02:51 PM

He's a soldier, he carries a weapon. Legitimate enough. I own a small kukri myself, although I don't carry it, it wouldn't make a great weapon, and I'd have no clue how to really use it.

Fair enough. I'm a scientist. Can I take my cyclotron with me on the bus? :smallbiggrin:

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-05, 02:53 PM
Fair enough. I'm a scientist. Can I take my cyclotron with me on the bus? :smallbiggrin:

I doubt it would fit through the bus doors. But if you can make it fit, it's fair game.

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-05, 02:56 PM

I don't know what that is, so I shall substitute cyclotron with the word dinosaur.

In which case yes, yes you can.

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-05, 02:59 PM
I don't know what that is, so I shall substitute cyclotron with the word dinosaur.

In which case yes, yes you can.

Pretty much a compact nuclear reactor.

Asta Kask
2011-02-05, 03:01 PM
It's a thingy to accelerate charged particles.

I don't actually have a cyclotron. :smallfrown:

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-05, 03:05 PM
It's a thingy to accelerate charged particles.

I don't actually have a cyclotron. :smallfrown:

There are online instructions for Betatrons and kids have done them as High-School Projects. As for a complete cyclotron, there are instructions online too.

SDF
2011-02-05, 03:29 PM
Considering all the armed thugs already on the train were armed, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess they have little regulation or laws regarding bladed weapons on trains in Nepal.

TheThan
2011-02-05, 03:33 PM
Considering all the armed thugs already on the train were armed, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess they have little regulation or laws regarding bladed weapons on trains in Nepal.

I got the impression they stopped the train and boarded it.

toasty
2011-02-05, 03:37 PM

:smallbiggrin:

Also this:

Yeah, Gurkha's are badasses tried and true.

Having said that, I still hold White Death to be perhaps the greatest badass I've ever heard of. But that's probably because I kinda worship Finland as the most badass nation ever. :smallbiggrin:

SDF
2011-02-05, 03:51 PM
Some were already on the train, they stopped it to let the rest on.

Asta Kask
2011-02-05, 04:41 PM
Having said that, I still hold White Death to be perhaps the greatest badass I've ever heard of. But that's probably because I kinda worship Finland as the most badass nation ever. :smallbiggrin:

They used to be part of that nation, but then 1809 happened. :smallfrown:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-05, 05:27 PM
Yeah, going from Sweden to Russia to Finland is a pretty badass chain of events.

Asta Kask
2011-02-05, 07:10 PM
It's still ours, I tell you! :smallbiggrin:

Anuan
2011-02-06, 07:22 AM
I think the Gurkhas are also a sort of military police. Either that or Nepalise police as issued with Khukris as well. Either way, yeah. Gurkhas (Don't make gherkin jokes around them. Just don't) are badass, their weapons are badass, this dude's a total badass.