PDA

View Full Version : Big Bang Theory got renewed!

grimbold
2011-02-04, 11:31 AM
Big Bang Theory has been renewed for 3 more seasons. Personally I love this show, as Sheldon is one of the few tv characters i can relate to and the star trek jokes are fantastic
http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/01/12/the-big-bang-theory-renewed-for-3-more-seasons/

Haruki-kun
2011-02-04, 11:35 AM
Excellent. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc)

I really have to catch up with this show. I haven't seen it in a while...

Thorcrest
2011-02-04, 11:36 AM
Yay! But, was this really a surprise? I mean, it has the highest ratings this year...

Lord Seth
2011-02-04, 12:05 PM
Yay! But, was this really a surprise? I mean, it has the highest ratings this year...The renewal wasn't a surprise, it being a three-year renewal was. Multi-year renewals are rare, three-year renewals are practically non-existent. Glee, for example, got a multi-year renewal, but only a two-year one. The only shows I can think of offhand that managed a three-year renewal are Two and a Half Men and Lost.

Although as a note, it hasn't had the "highest ratings" this year, regardless of what you mean by that; Two and a Half Men has higher ratings if you mean highest on CBS, and The Big Bang Theory had higher ratings last year. Granted, you might say that's because it had Two and a Half Men as a lead-in then but doesn't now, and getting the ratings it does at the start of primetime without a lead-in is perhaps more of an accomplishment than getting strong ratings after Two and a Half Men, but it still doesn't have the "highest ratings" no matter which way you slice it.

Fjolnir
2011-02-04, 01:29 PM
Highest ratings for a comedy in its time slot?

Lord Seth
2011-02-04, 01:34 PM
Highest ratings for a comedy in its time slot?This is confusing. Highest ratings ever in history? I don't have the data offhand, but that does sound iffy to me. If you're talking about highest ratings for a comedy currently, the only comedy it's going up against is Community on NBC, and beating NBC in the ratings is hardly impressive; it's almost like beating a six-year-old in a foot race.

Fjolnir
2011-02-04, 01:35 PM
I know, I put up "the best midsize luxury car under $10000" arguement

BiblioRook
2011-02-04, 01:42 PM
I have to say, I have Mixed Feelings (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10297096&postcount=80) about this.

Avilan the Grey
2011-02-04, 02:16 PM
I have to say, I have Mixed Feelings (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10297096&postcount=80) about this.

Yeah but you are weird. :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

BiblioRook
2011-02-04, 02:38 PM
Like I said in that post, I do enjoy the show. But I can't really see what it would do for three additional years. :smalleek:

The Geek humor is fun and all, but you have to acknowledge that the core driving plot of the show remains wrapped around things like Leonard and Penny getting together (as well as the coupling of the other characters). Considering they already dated and broke up once already, I don't know how they can really milk that further without it getting redundant (moreso then it already is anyways).

It's basically a Geeky version of Friends now.

Avilan the Grey
2011-02-04, 03:20 PM
It's basically a Geeky version of Friends now.

So? Name a sitcom that isn't? Most sitcom of American format (aka 18-23 episodes per season) will turn into this about 1½-2½ season in because the uniqueness of the characters has run dry by then. Hell even Friends was not "Friends" first season. Sometimes it works (like Friends, BBT, 2½ Men). Sometimes it's horrible (Third Rock).

Incidentally, I find yesterday's episode the funniest this season.
"Mrs Cooper? I think I broke your son!"

tomandtish
2011-02-04, 07:47 PM
Incidentally, I find yesterday's episode the funniest this season.
"Mrs Cooper? I think I broke your son!"

Goes to show how your milage may vary. I thought yesterday's was arguably the worst of the series. I had to actively stop myself from fast-forwarding multiple times.

Overall I'm glad to hear about the renewall. 3 years surprises me though.

Dienekes
2011-02-04, 08:58 PM

Hey if a show got renewed, good for it. If you don't like it you don't have to watch.

I got out of this one once Penny/Leonard broke up because I really didn't feel like sitting through whatever Leonard's mourning time was going to be, nor did I particularly care for whatever future romances either would have.

But then, I'm odd that way.

Robert Blackletter
2011-02-04, 09:36 PM
it's almost like beating a six-year-old in a foot race.

I know some fast six year olds, out run this*28 year any day *Admittedly overweight and unfit

Kato
2011-02-05, 05:09 AM
Glad to hear it, too.

Yeah, the show got a little... not worse but less good over the years but it's still very enjoyable to me. I'm mostly irritated by the Penny/leonard thing as well... but I guess there are few showes without some UST or such. I can still gel a laugh out of it every time.

(I liked the last episode but it's not the best of the season, imo. Maybe if you are a Penny/Sheldon shipper... But 'I broke your son' still cracked me up)

LCR
2011-02-05, 07:07 AM
Oh well.

Three more years of me not watching that show.

FlashRah
2011-02-05, 07:10 AM
Big Bang Theory never did it for me. I don't dislike it or anything, in fact if it's on and I have 30 minutes to kill I will have no qualms with watching it. I just wont go out of my way or anything.

grimbold
2011-02-07, 01:23 PM
i think the new episode comes out on the 11th
maybe penny and leonard will rejoin?

Sipex
2011-02-07, 01:54 PM
The only thing I dislike about the show is that the limited length makes it feel just a little too short nowadays. Like every episode is absent a scene.

edit: This is true for most 'half hour' shows these days.

I believe it's because commercial time has grown too much.

chiasaur11
2011-02-07, 01:58 PM
This is confusing. Highest ratings ever in history? I don't have the data offhand, but that does sound iffy to me. If you're talking about highest ratings for a comedy currently, the only comedy it's going up against is Community on NBC, and beating NBC in the ratings is hardly impressive; it's almost like beating a six-year-old in a foot race.

Still a shame.

Community is one of the best shows on TV.

Tried to watch BBT once. Figured it would be halfway decent. Five seconds in, I blacked out.

Then the blood. So much blood....

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-07, 04:33 PM
My parents like this show, I'm sure they'll be happy. I haven't watched too much, but it seems all right.

Ender Wigin
2011-02-07, 05:24 PM
I love that show, even if the opening music is inaccurate. (The primids came before the great wall!!!!) I have a feeling if Sheldon were to hear it, he would instantly point out that flaw.

Vaynor
2011-02-07, 06:01 PM
What are the primids? :smallconfused:

Haruki-kun
2011-02-07, 06:05 PM
I love that show, even if the opening music is inaccurate. (The primids came before the great wall!!!!) I have a feeling if Sheldon were to hear it, he would instantly point out that flaw.

Yeah, well... if Sheldon were to hear himself imply that gases and plasma aren't fluids he'd flip out, too. Sheldon's writers aren't Sheldon.

Phobia
2011-02-07, 08:20 PM
Big Bang is a decent enough show to watch when you have time to sit down and watch TV. I'm glad it's still on instead of being cancelled and some worse show taking its place.

BiblioRook
2011-02-07, 11:08 PM

It's BNL though, so that should make up for that :smallsmile:

chiasaur11
2011-02-07, 11:46 PM
What are the primids? :smallconfused:

Enemies in Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Rob Roy
2011-02-08, 12:31 AM
This is good news. I may even start watching the show again, for a while didn't they have it running at the same time as Community? I remember I was really getting sick of the will they or won't they thing between the Lenard and Penny, the show could at the least give the other characters a day in the limelight.

Lord Seth
2011-02-08, 01:47 AM
This is good news. I may even start watching the show again, for a while didn't they have it running at the same time as Community?They still are running it at the same time as Community and have been doing so since the start of this TV season in September.

Rob Roy
2011-02-08, 01:51 AM
They still are running it at the same time as Community and have been doing so since the start of this TV season in September.
I suppose that explains why I haven't been watching it lately. Oh well, I can just rent the DvDs later I suppose.

BiblioRook
2011-02-08, 03:08 AM
the show could at the least give the other characters a day in the limelight.

Like Raj, poor Raj.

Howard is practically engaged and even Shelden basically has a girlfriend. Leonard? He's had like what? Half a dozen love interests so far?
But closest thing Raj ever got probably was Shelden's sister and he wasn't even aware of it.

dehro
2011-02-08, 11:53 AM
yay!

also.."yo raj, talk to me".. one of the best moments in the show.

Keld Denar
2011-02-08, 12:25 PM
The best part, IMO, is that Jim Parsons, the guy who plays Sheldon, isn't anything at ALL like his character. Doesn't like sci-fi, doesn't like comic books, doesn't know jack about physics, particle or otherwise. Usually it helps if an actor is somewhat similar to his character, as it adds a certain amount of depth to them. Given that Jim pulls off Sheldon's character so flawlessly is truely a tribute to his acting skill.

Also, isn't the intro done by TMBG? That alone is worth 10 points!

BiblioRook
2011-02-08, 01:34 PM
Also, isn't the intro done by TMBG? That alone is worth 10 points!
No, Barenaked Ladies. (The BNL I mentioned as I hate writing out their name)
Which is still pretty cool as they are a great band (and still plenty geeky sometimes. If you never heard of them, don't let their name dissuade you.)

Keld Denar
2011-02-08, 02:45 PM
I think everyone knows BNL...they had that one really really really REALLY overplayed song about wasabi samuri or something...I try to block out those memories.

I coulda sworn it sounds like TMBG though...like, listen to that song and the Sun Song and like...I dunno.

Lord Seth
2011-02-08, 03:09 PM
I think everyone knows BNL...they had that one really really really REALLY overplayed song about wasabi samuri or something...I try to block out those memories.You must be thinking of One Week. And yes, you will never forget it (http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1895871).

Avilan the Grey
2011-02-09, 07:10 AM
Yeah, well... if Sheldon were to hear himself imply that gases and plasma aren't fluids he'd flip out, too. Sheldon's writers aren't Sheldon.

Hey he admits that the extreme fever makes it hard to think straight.

About BNL: My two favorites are "Another Postcard" and "Be My Yoko Ono".

Sipex
2011-02-09, 09:58 AM
Okay, I know I'm not imagining it now. My wife and I saw the latest episode of this last night and it definitely feels like the episodes are one or two scenes short. She agrees.

I'll give the episode as an example, spoilered of course

The episode starts in a classroom with Sheldon giving a lecture...

So what happens in this episode is Sheldon gives a stand in lecture for a PhD class and completely blows it. Everyone in the class hates him, they tweet nasty things about him and flip him off behind his back. Sheldon learns about this and with some advice from Amy Farrah Fowler he chooses to take acting lessons from Penny so he might become a better teacher.

Meanwhile Rhaj finds he's attracted to Bernadette after she calls him a 'total hottie' to help boost his confidence and he starts day dreaming about her and Howard giving him permission to have his way with her.

The episode ends with Sheldon breaking down during a play he wrote which he and Penny are rehearsing. Apparently he doesn't want to go with Spock as the play is telling him to. Penny calls his mother and says "I think I broke your son."

Meanwhile Bernadette confronts Rhaj, stating that he's been avoiding her and Howard (although we're never given this evidence) and she asks why. She demands to know what exactly is going on in his head. Rhaj spaces out and daydreams about the two of them singing a Bollywood style song only to come to and realise she left.

The episode ends.

Now, to me, this feels like there are scenes missing. We don't see how this all resolves and we know that the next episode won't pick it up, they almost always start a new story. In fact, this isn't the only episode that has ended this way, several of the more recent episodes end with conflicts which are un-resolved.

Older episodes end normally so what changed? Did their timeslot get too restrictive?