PDA

View Full Version : Help with Feats for JPM

Deadtissue
2011-02-04, 01:47 PM
Hi playgrounders I could use some help. A new player joined our game and in order to accomodate him I have swapped out my Bard/Crusader/JPM for a Warblade/Wizard/JPM/Aburant Champion. New player wants to run a Dragon Shaman and the DM did not want that many group buffs going.

The rest of the group is a Fighter1/Cleric 7, Warblade 8, Scout/Swordsage 3/5 and a Brass Dragon Shaman 8.

I have made him an Aventi (to go with the seafaring flavor of the campaign thus far we are in Savage Tides and just hit 8th) using a Trident and some kind of fancy light armor from Stormwracked and enchanted with Twilight property.

So far he is Domain (Storm) Wizard 5, Warblade 1 and JPM 2.

Scores are 14, 12,14,18, 14,10 (rolled)

He has 3 feats to pick and I am stumped. He needs combat Casting at 9th, and I will pick up Practiced Spell Caster at 15th when I lose my 3rd caster level but as for the 1st, 3rd, 6th, 12th, and 18th level feats I am just not sure which way to go.

Of course my other option is just go straight wizard but thats what I have played inthe last two games and I need a change.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

Hawk7915
2011-02-04, 02:03 PM
Some ideas...

- Between Arcane Wrath's attack boost and the ability to use both Wraithstrike and Emerald Razor, Power Attack is a strong choice.

- A Gish will probably always find a use for Extend Spell, although carrying a Rod of Extend is probably better.

- I see no reason not to just take Combat Casting now and get it out of the way, since you have so many great feat options (Arcane Strike, Martial Study -> White Raven Tactics/Iron Heart Surge, Minor Shapeshift) available at level 9.

- Leap Attack is good if you have the prereqs met.

- Stormguard Warrior isn't great for your build but for a Storm-mage/Jade Phoenix Mage it seems very flavorful.

- Can't go wrong with Improved Initiative, if all else fails.

My progression would be:
1: Combat Casting
3: Power Attack
Wizard Bonus: Extend Spell
6: Ironheart Aura
9: Martial Study -> Ironheart Surge
12: Stormguard Warrior
15: Practiced Spellcaster
18: Minor Shapeshift

Deadtissue
2011-02-04, 02:42 PM
Intesting,

I am going to stick to diamond mind and devoted spirit for manuevers as the Warblade in heavy into Iron Heart and might not want me steeling his thunder and I figure fluff wise the Diamond Mind reflects the water element better (and uses Trident and spears as weapon focuses) and Devoted Spirit the guardian fluff of the JPM. So the Martial Study I will likely spend elsewhere and maybe get a few of the diamond mind feats.

That said I like where you are going but wonder why minor shapeshift would be taken at 18th.

Master_Rahl22
2011-02-04, 03:22 PM
Meh, the only discipline specific feat I've found worth while is Shadow Blade. Unnerving Calm is the Diamond Mind one and it's about duel of wills, which is an extra mini-mechanic they added that's pretty pointless and gives very minor bonuses/penalties for the first turn of combat. Faith Unswerving, the Devoted Spirit tactical feat doesn't look too bad, but Perfect Clarity of Mind and Body looks pretty bad. I like Hawk7915's suggestions.

Hawk7915
2011-02-04, 05:33 PM
Intesting,

I am going to stick to diamond mind and devoted spirit for manuevers as the Warblade in heavy into Iron Heart and might not want me steeling his thunder and I figure fluff wise the Diamond Mind reflects the water element better (and uses Trident and spears as weapon focuses) and Devoted Spirit the guardian fluff of the JPM. So the Martial Study I will likely spend elsewhere and maybe get a few of the diamond mind feats.

That said I like where you are going but wonder why minor shapeshift would be taken at 18th.

Because I wanted to get Stormguard Warrior as soon as it was available :smalltongue:. If you are avoiding Iron Heart, then definitely take Minor Shapeshift at level 9 or 12 instead. Your swift actions might get often eaten up by counters, Arcane Wrath, quickened spells, and boosts, but options never hurt anyone and +1 CL on Polymorph spells can be handy too.

The tricky thing, then, is qualifications. You don't qualify for Arcane Strike at 6. You could Martial Study there, but for what? Another 2nd level maneuver known? Blah. I'd actually just take Practiced Spellcaster there, again to get it out of the way. The new progression should be...

1: Combat Casting
3: Power Attack
W5: Extend Spell (or Spell Focus, perhaps)
6: Practiced Spellcaster
9: Minor Shapeshift
12: Arcane Strike
15: ???
18: ???

Options are Martial Study for the best maneuver you can afford from Diamond Mind (you'd qualify for 6th level stuff at 15th; Bounding Assault, Ruby Nightmare Blade, or Greater Insightful Strike are worth considering), Quicken Spell so you can Quicken stuff without relying on Quickening Strike, Sculpt Spell because it's awesome and you're going to need to do some battlefield control, Chain Spell to be the very best buffer you can be, Improved Familiar for the lulz, or just taking Improved Initiative and Improved Toughness because they've never hurt anyone.

Deadtissue
2011-02-08, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the great ideas.

I am going to skip arcane strike as arcane wrath class feature seems better and use that feat for sculpt spell, the 15th will be chain spell and at 18th quicken spell or a high end martial study maneuver.