PDA

View Full Version : I Need Cake Suggestions

DrizztFan24
2011-02-04, 03:04 PM
It's ma birthday. I like cake. With my family we get a cake of our choosing for our birthday. Usually I choose cheesecake. Or better than s heath bar cake. But I figured I would get the opinion on the playground on some awesome suggestions.

I don't care for chocolate cake or chocolate frosting, with some exceptions...like a dark chocolate cake with a light layer of white frosting or German chocolate cake. Oh yeah, not a big frosting guy either...I guess I am broken. :smallwink:

thubby
2011-02-04, 03:09 PM
Cinnamon Streusel Cake. delisious, moist, and if you're lazy, readily available from a box.

Aidan305
2011-02-04, 04:17 PM
Treacle Sponge. Mmmmmm.

Themrys
2011-02-04, 04:28 PM
What is German chocolate cake?

I have a chocolate cake recipe with 250 g chocolate, 250g sugar, 6 eggs, 175g butter and only 75g flour. :smallsmile:

It's my favourite birthday cake and I ususally eat it with dark chocolate frosting and marzipan decoration.

Eldan
2011-02-04, 04:30 PM
One other for "What is a German chocolate cake?" I strongly assume it has a different name over here.

Also, go for carrot cake. It's my favourite.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-04, 05:01 PM
Cheesecakes are awesome. *wipes drool off mouth*

If you want something else for variety I find that strawberry shortcakes (M&M does a wonderful "Too Tall" verson) or upsidedown cakes are both decadently delicious.

I really want cake now.

DrizztFan24
2011-02-04, 05:13 PM
One other for "What is a German chocolate cake?" I strongly assume it has a different name over here.

It's not German the country. The fellow that created the chocolate used in the original recipe had the surname of German.
This is German chocolate cake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_chocolate_cake)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-04, 05:55 PM
Red Velvet.
No?
Devil's Foodcake. No?
Well, I'm out for now.

PJ the Epic
2011-02-04, 06:07 PM
A couple birthday's ago I made a Canoli cake. It was pretty good.

THAC0
2011-02-04, 06:21 PM
The perfect combination of cheesecake and pie. (http://glacial-ice.blogspot.com/2011/01/apple-peach-cream-cheese-bites.html)

Other awesome things that are more cake-like: Peppermint cake with mascarpone cream. Yum. Or do spiced cake with mascarpone cream. Pretty much any cake with mascarpone cream. Yumm!

Asthix
2011-02-04, 06:32 PM
Happy Birthday!

Also Chocolate Cherry.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-04, 06:40 PM
I like carrot cake with walnuts and cream cheese icing, a lot.
Devils food cake with a raspberry jam filling, is also yum.
I once made a chocolate cake, like actually chocolate, not coco, with a chocolate icing. Basically I melted chocolate and added icing sugar, also known as confectionery sugar.
It was chocorific.:smallbiggrin:

THAC0
2011-02-04, 06:47 PM
Oh! I did a rootbeer float cake once. It was awesome.

golentan
2011-02-04, 06:50 PM
Seconding Carrot Cake.

In addition, a nice pineapple cake done up moist and delicious is always good. And the wonder that is the Tennessee Apple Stack Cake is something I've only had once but worth doing again. I like cakes with banana custard filling as well, a nice thing to throw up as a day's project for special occasions.

BisectedBrioche
2011-02-04, 07:33 PM

Also, go for carrot cake. It's my favourite.

Same here. It's so easy to bake as well.

Trekkin
2011-02-04, 10:19 PM
Banana Bread Cake (frosted banana bread)
Bread Pudding
Some kind of pudding/cake/fruit trifle.
Ambrosia
Coca-Cola cake
Cookie cake
Baked Alaska

Do any of those sound good?

Jallorn
2011-02-04, 10:21 PM
Nitpick: Cheesecake isn't cake, it's a tart, and more like a pie than a cake. THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!

As for suggestions? Well, Ice Cream cake is always awesome. Pound Cake (I think) + Chocolate Fondue is good. I once had a wedding cake with strawberries in it that was amazing, so yeah, strawberries in the cake is good.

Lady Moreta
2011-02-04, 10:29 PM
I have an awesome recipe for a chocolate mud cake - which is mostly melted chocolate... tastes fantastic, surprisingly easy to make.

Banana cake (tastes best with chocolate ganache {ie: chocolate & cream mixed together} though just plain icing sugar also works)
Gingerbread
Cupcakes! :smallbiggrin:

Fri
2011-02-04, 10:31 PM
If you're a man, accept no substitute.

Meatcake. (http://www.blackwidowbakery.com/demo/meatcake/)

DrizztFan24
2011-02-04, 11:31 PM
Nitpick: Cheesecake isn't cake, it's a tart, and more like a pie than a cake.

Yeah but I have never been much of a cake guy. So to get around the whole "cake fo' yo' birthday" thing, i decided that having cake in the name was good enough for me.

factotum
2011-02-05, 02:47 AM
Not sure if it counts as a cake, but how about a pavlova?

THAC0
2011-02-05, 03:09 AM

I made that once. It was awesome.

grimbold
2011-02-05, 07:55 AM
great scott! you don't like frosting?
i was going to suggest carrot cake

that looks amazing

Nibleswick
2011-02-05, 07:27 PM
Streudle is where it's at really. If you have to have cake though go with a nice carrot cake, or apple sauce cake.

Eldan
2011-02-07, 02:28 AM
Cheesecake only counts if it's made with bacon and onions. Otherwise, it's pretty bland.