PDA

View Full Version : medical science creates skin-regenerating airbrush

Seraph
2011-02-04, 04:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXO_ApjKPaI&feature=player_embedded

Video's a bit icky, so watch out.

Basically, its like this. A cop from PA was burned on his face and arm at a july 4 bonfire pretty badly. he goes into the hospital, and they say he qualifies for an experimental treatment. It works by taking stem cells from his healthy skin and suspending them in a solution, then literally spraying it over the wounded area like paint. it acts fast, and can regenerate over a weekend to being nearly fully healed.

Keep on being awesome, Science.

Vaynor
2011-02-04, 04:31 PM
This is awesome.

thubby
2011-02-04, 04:43 PM
*jaw hits floor*

Eldan
2011-02-04, 04:44 PM
Aw, crap. Video is illegal here. Is it hosted anywhere else? Could you tell me the name so I can search for it?

rayne_dragon
2011-02-04, 04:47 PM
One step closer to custom genetic alterations... excellent. Soon I will be able to take over the world with my army of Pig Men... or was that the Daleks' plan?

Comet
2011-02-04, 05:11 PM
Aw, crap. Video is illegal here. Is it hosted anywhere else? Could you tell me the name so I can search for it?

This one works for me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5H9Sasq5U).

Awesome stuff, no doubt about it.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-04, 05:13 PM

Same here, it's illegal outside of the US, it seems.

Since teh clip's from National Geographic it probably isn't available unless they have it one their website...

To National Geographic!

PS: Isn't it funny that they have the channel everywhere and yet it is rarely about the nation it is send in's geography? :smalltongue:

EDIT: Ninjaningaed! >.<

AslanCross
2011-02-04, 05:21 PM
Heard about this, and indeed, it's awesome.

Icewalker
2011-02-04, 07:57 PM
Yesss, a friend of mine linked this a few days ago. So excellent. Impressive how little scarring there is too.

Anxe
2011-02-04, 09:18 PM
Thank God they didn't call it the Flesh Gun.

Why is it blue?

And DAMN!!! That's Sci-Fi healing stuff there. Next step is get it approved for normal use instead of experimental and then make it cheap.

Worira
2011-02-04, 09:25 PM
Yeah, that is odd. Everyone knows magical health potions are either red or green.

MoonCat
2011-02-04, 09:47 PM
This is wonderful. If it works, burns will lose some of their terrible power. Wow. Who thought of that?

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-04, 10:08 PM
This is awesome. Does anyone know if there is any video of it in action, like in seeing it while it happens?

Deathslayer7
2011-02-04, 11:18 PM
holy mackrel!

I wish they could have had that when I got my second degree burns 8 years ago. :smallfrown:

But nonetheless, amazing.

Haruki-kun
2011-02-04, 11:37 PM
That is simply amazing. It always makes me glad to hear science being put to good use.

Anxe
2011-02-05, 12:29 AM
This is awesome. Does anyone know if there is any video of it in action, like in seeing it while it happens?

I doubt it. The linked vid says only 12 people have done the procedure. And it does take 4 days to do, so its not instantaneous. A time lapse or a picture every 2 hours would be required. That'd be difficult to get with a living person. Probably looks like a normal burn healing though, just accelerated.

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-05, 12:57 AM
I doubt it. The linked vid says only 12 people have done the procedure. And it does take 4 days to do, so its not instantaneous. A time lapse or a picture every 2 hours would be required. That'd be difficult to get with a living person. Probably looks like a normal burn healing though, just accelerated.

I hope they they eventually release this study as written material or a pdf, as it looks darn interesting and it would be just awesome to have at least one case fully documented and photographed.

Though I wouldn't say its hard to do it with a living person, remember that they still have to be hospitalised as second degree burns are still Serious Business, so if they have them there, why not take the pictures anyway (apart from privacy issues which I'm sure they would be willing to waiver in exchange of getting their skin back).

Fri
2011-02-05, 01:06 AM
this actually reminds me on bacta tank from starwars. Yeah, this is almost sci-fi territory already. And we already have prosthetics that's better than the original limbs...

We're in the future, alright.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-05, 01:27 AM
this actually reminds me on bacta tank from starwars. Yeah, this is almost sci-fi territory already. And we already have prosthetics that's better than the original limbs...

Reminds me of an unlicensed nuclear accelerator. Don't cross the streams!

Eldan
2011-02-05, 12:07 PM
Though I wouldn't say its hard to do it with a living person, remember that they still have to be hospitalised as second degree burns are still Serious Business, so if they have them there, why not take the pictures anyway (apart from privacy issues which I'm sure they would be willing to waiver in exchange of getting their skin back).

I doubt they could just do that: it's pretty likely they still have to keep it bandaged to prevent infections.

Also I doubt it would look much like a normal burn healing: second degree burns leave ugly, ugly scars.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-05, 12:19 PM
I doubt they could just do that: it's pretty likely they still have to keep it bandaged to prevent infections.

Also I doubt it would look much like a normal burn healing: second degree burns leave ugly, ugly scars.

The one in the video looked pretty nice, I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't know.

Thus, Science-GunTM is the solution to all of life's problems.

What? You have other problems than burns and scars? Blasphemy!

:smalltongue:

Deathslayer7
2011-02-05, 12:25 PM

not necessarily. My back is scarred from my second degree sunburns there, but it more looks like birth marks and freckles than scarring.

Ranger Mattos
2011-02-05, 12:26 PM
Woohoo, SCIENCE!!

Lycan 01
2011-02-05, 01:00 PM
I'm suddenly less scared of ever being a burn victim. Still pretty scared, but slightly less so at least.

Seriously, spray-on skin? This could revolutionize medical treatment forever if it comes into more widespread usage. Fire burns aside, it'd probably also work for chemical burns, too...

Starbuck_II
2011-02-05, 01:52 PM
How long before this thing is widespread?

I agree that we now have bacta tanks from Star Wars.

Prime32
2011-02-05, 01:52 PM
I remember hearing about something similar being used for breast enlargement. Well, fat cells instead of skin cells, but they performed the process by running some kind of pen over the area. IIRC the idea was to adapt it to other fields once it had been perfected.

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-05, 03:09 PM
WOO!!!

Lets all burn ourselves and force them to make more of those guns :smallbiggrin:

Nah, that is seriously cool though.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-02-05, 08:17 PM
Hell yeah, SCIENCE!

Jallorn
2011-02-05, 08:38 PM
I'm suddenly less scared of ever being a burn victim. Still pretty scared, but slightly less so at least.

Seriously, spray-on skin? This could revolutionize medical treatment forever if it comes into more widespread usage. Fire burns aside, it'd probably also work for chemical burns, too...

Actually, it could also help speed the external recovery after surgery. Spray on a little skin on the wound and it should grow new skin faster since it's there sooner. I could be wrong, I'm no expert on biology.

But yeah, there are likely lots of other uses besides healing from burns. Flesh Eating Bacteria? Remove infected skin, spray on new skin. Ok, yeah, that's the only one I can think of, but I bet there's more.

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-06, 01:42 AM
This could revolutionize medical treatment forever if it comes into more widespread usage at least five flavors.Fixed that for you. :smalltongue:

Yeah, though, pretty amazing. :smallsmile:

Symmys
2011-02-06, 01:35 PM
Agreed.

This is awesome. Who needs a jetpack when you have spray-on skin? :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2011-02-06, 01:45 PM
That's incredible. Hopefully this spreads quickly and becomes standard burn procedure.

grimbold
2011-02-06, 02:58 PM
wow
this is awesome
also hes from where i grew up so its awesomer

Force
2011-02-06, 03:34 PM
Actually, it could also help speed the external recovery after surgery. Spray on a little skin on the wound and it should grow new skin faster since it's there sooner. I could be wrong, I'm no expert on biology.

But yeah, there are likely lots of other uses besides healing from burns. Flesh Eating Bacteria? Remove infected skin, spray on new skin. Ok, yeah, that's the only one I can think of, but I bet there's more.

Probably not for surgery. You want the muscle that was cut to heal before skin heals atop it. If the top heals before the bottom you have big problems. Still, if this could be adapted to heal most types of common soft tissue there will probably be one of these in every ER that can afford one.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-07, 06:09 PM
Probably not for surgery. You want the muscle that was cut to heal before skin heals atop it. If the top heals before the bottom you have big problems. Still, if this could be adapted to heal most types of common soft tissue there will probably be one of these in every ER that can afford one.
We can however, weld skin back together, with lasers (http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2008/12/01/2008-12-01_laser_skin_welding_the_suture_of_future_.html). Which means, yes, the laser suture of Star Trek and other science fiction is now a reality. Caught me off guard it did.

Xyk
2011-02-10, 01:07 AM
Oh my goodness. This video restored some of my broken heart. And some of that guy's skin. I love science.

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 02:34 AM
Awwww, thats lame. Because of technology, vilians like Two-Face and the Darth Vader and the Phantom of the Opera will become obsolete.

Kids will one day ask their parents: "Daddy? Why didn't Harvey Dent just get his face spray painted back on? Then he wouldn't be so mad all the time!"

Seriously, the future will never appreciate the great villians of our time like we do.

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-10, 03:56 AM
Awwww, thats lame. Because of technology, vilians like Two-Face and the Darth Vader and the Phantom of the Opera will become obsolete.

Kids will one day ask their parents: "Daddy? Why didn't Harvey Dent just get his face spray painted back on? Then he wouldn't be so mad all the time!"

Seriously, the future will never appreciate the great villians of our time like we do.

You watch a magic healing gun and your first thought is for the obsolete villains?

Elan, is that you?

Asta Kask
2011-02-10, 06:58 AM
But can it do this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ypZSJ2_RDY) (1:50 and forward).

Mina Kobold
2011-02-10, 11:33 AM

If I recall correctly Harvey Dent actually tried plastic surgery in the Animated series.

Guess what happened after Tow-Face made him toss a coin in his dreams.

One coin.